Black is the New Brown

It's Complicated

The next days were dead tiring. The family showcase is in two and a half weeks and everyone’s rushing to make things perfect. To put pressure on everyone (or just me), the marketing department have released PR articles and teasers, posters were circulated not only at the building, but around. It felt like a concert, with the exception of the flashy venue and many people, but nonetheless, they treated it as if it is a concert.

“Because the upcoming showcase is approaching soon, the management advised its performers to do a bit of a makeover.” Na Young said, eyeing me during our training session.

I looked at my hair from the mirror, arranged neatly in a ponytail. The dark brown locks reached halfway down my back and I’m not really fond of the idea of chopping inches off of it.

“I think shoulder length suits you—” Na Young went to my back and gently touched the strands.

“No, not—“

“—and black hair. That’d do you good.” She said.

I frowned, trying to look as pitiful to her in hopes that she would change her mind. “But I love my hair.”

“You’d love your new hair once the hairstylists do their thing, Jiyonn,” she explained. “Besides, it would make you look different, you know, so the public won’t recognize you and say, ‘hey, I know that girl!’ and your cover’s blown.”

I turned sideways, studying my hair. I still couldn’t picture myself with black hair that falls to my shoulders.

“Are you sure?”

Na Young smiled softly. “Trust me, it’s going to look good. Besides, the company’s going to pay for it, so you’ll just walk in the salon, tell them that I sent you in and that’s it.”

She hands me a card, gives me the directions to the salon and who to look for.

“Just wait and see. You’re going to love your new look.” She said before we went back to our routine.

--

Two days later, I arrived at the hair salon Na Young told me to go to. It was located near cafés and a few boutiques which I guessed was frequently visited by artists and idols alike based on the lavishly dressed mannequins and décor.  

When I entered the salon, I was greeted by oversized mirrors, silver chairs and chandeliers, and cream-colored walls. Definitely a salon for celebrities. I felt uneasy as I made my way to the counter and asked for Seongjun, who is my supposed hairstylist.

“Please wait for a moment, your hairstylist will be here in a while,” the kind lady at the counter said. Just then, a guy in his early thirties with ash blonde hair comes up and greets me.

“Hi,” I said. “Na Young sent me here and told me to look for you.”

Seongjun smiles, his eyes curving into a pair of crescent moons. “Ah, so you’re the girl. Follow me.”

I follow him across the room as I peek through the elegant mirrors, checking if I could spot any celebrity by any chance. Seongjun leads me to a silver chair and I immediately feel comfortable. He asked for my name and when I did, his brow raised and I felt my stomach flip.

 “No wonder you look familiar,” his eyes lit up. “Well, Na Young’s pretty lucky to have you as her trainee. I bet she doesn’t even have to break a sweat for that matter!”

I chuckled, slightly embarrassed. “Aw no, I probably missed out on a lot ever since then. Na Young really helps me become better.”

“That’s good to hear,” he replied, then examined me from the mirror. “Anyway, we better get to business. She mentioned that I give your hair a new color, and a new cut. Shoulder length, I suppose.”

I take a deep breath, realizing that it is really a farewell to my long, dark brown hair and a hello to shorter, black hair. I look at the mirror and see Seongjun looking at me with an amused expression.

“It’s difficult to have this much of a hair transformation, isn’t it?” Thank heavens for people like him.

“Truthfully, yes,” I said, taking a handful of my hair. “It’s been a long while since I had shorter hair and I forgot how it’s going to look on me.”

“Don’t worry; I think you will look fine in it. Besides, I know Na Young won’t tell me to do much on your hair if she had no idea how it will turn out.”

I take into mind what he said. Considering the showcase, where fans and media would attend to, I’m sure Na Young knows what she’s saying.

“Yeah, and I guess this kind of change isn’t bad.” I said.

“Alright, if you say so.” Seongjun said before I finally said goodbye to my long hair.

--

I can’t remember how long it has been since I visited a salon since I didn’t want to cut my hair and have all sorts of chemicals put into my hair, but I never knew it would be this good. Everything is so relaxing from shampooing my hair and I don’t feel so nervous at all. Seongjun is also friendly and I feel at ease while he is gradually cutting my hair.

He and Na Young went to the same university and although they majored in different areas, they became friends through art club. He also told me how Na Young was so passionate in dancing and performing arts that it was no surprise for him to know that she ended up working in that line of profession.

“So tell me more about yourself,” Seongjun said, looking at the mirror. “After all, I am going to be your hairstylist from now on.”

“Me?” I replied, slightly dumbfounded. The million dollar question, which I obviously don’t know how to answer.

I thought about it for a moment before looking at him through the mirror. “Well, I think I’m a bit of an artsy person. I mean I like going to museums with my friends and checking out art galleries. I like superhero films…”

“Do you have siblings?” He asked.

I shook my head. “I wish I had.”

He sighed, going back to cutting my hair. “Same here.  It’s different growing up without an older sister or a younger brother, right?”

“Tell me about it,” I chuckled. “Although I grew up with my cousins and childhood friends and I don’t feel bad about that, but sometimes I think how things would have been if I had a sibling.”

“Exactly what I was thinking.” Seongjun replied, smiling. “Are you psychic in any way or something?”

“Still working on that.” I replied, both of us ended up chuckling.

Like Na Young, I felt somehow at ease with Seongjun even if this was the first time we met. They both have this easygoing and friendly aura that doesn’t make first meetings with them awkward.

“Get back to me once you’ve become a psychic.” He replies, before telling me that I was already going to have my hair dyed.

--

“Are you sure darker hair will good on me?”

I asked Seongjun for the nth time today. He just finished coloring my hair and I was getting anxious once I saw my hair gradually turning darker.

“I don’t see black hair not looking good on you,” Seongjun reassured, resting on a chair near my chair. “In other words, you’ll look twice as beautiful as you are now.”

I felt my cheeks warm up when he said that and fell silent. Yes, I’m still not used to people calling me pretty or beautiful and if they did, I don’t know what to say. Thank you, you look beautiful, too?

“Not used to being called beautiful?” He asked, a small smile drawn across his face.

I raise my eyebrow, trying to hide my laughter. “Now, are you psychic?”

“Hopefully I am.” He said. “But really, I’ve seen that look of doubt on your face countless times. Girls having a dramatic hair makeover after a breakup, boyfriends complimenting their girlfriends on their new haircut and all. Trust me, I know that look.”

“Now you know.” I shrug.

Seongjun doesn’t say anything and proceeds to wash the dye off, while reassuring me that today won’t be my worst nightmare and that I don’t need to worry about anything. I finally accept that it’s goodbye to my dark brown hair and hello to black hair. Before blow-drying my hair, he applies a cream treatment to make my hair smooth and shiny and I calm down as he massages my scalp to evenly spread out the treatment.

“In a few minutes, you’re finally going to see your new hairstyle. Rest assured that your hair will be in good hands with me from now on.” He says, massaging my scalp.

“Thanks, really,” I said, smiling at him through the mirror. “Now I don’t feel so apprehensive with this makeover thing.”

“You shouldn’t. For me, it’s a nice thing to have a bit of change every now and then. Your parents, friends and boyfriend—“

I nearly choked and laughed nervously. “I don’t have a boyfriend, Seongjun. Too busy for dating, that kind of stuff.”

He eyes me for a second then smiles. “I had a feeling about that.”

“You’re psychic, I knew it.”

“But really, a pretty girl like you? Not dating?” He asked.

I proudly shook my head. “Nope. Seeing how busy I am, and how spontaneous I can be, I don’t think I can find time to date as of now.”

“Not even your schoolmates or the guys form YG Ent.?” He insisted.

I stare at my sneakers before shaking my head again. Seongjun nods before he starts blow-drying my hair.

I try not think about the inner turmoil I’ve had—no—I’m still having and I felt like running away (hair still with the cream treatment) and forgetting these complicated feelings I am having. It was a good thing that I hadn’t seen Ji Yong or anyone from Big Bang the past days because they were on an international schedule, but that doesn’t mean that I can just keep on wishing I won’t run into them, can i?

“But if you really like Ji Yong and you’re so bothered about it, then tell him.”

It’s not easy, Ji Sung. It’s not. Especially when that person likes someone else, you have mutual friends and you usually hang out together. An annoying part of my head thinks what Ji Yong might think of my hew haircut and I close my eyes, forgetting the thought.

Now you sound like some teenage, lovedrunk girl. Great. I sighed. I don’t think this “concept” suits me at all. And who cares what he thinks? Na Young made me do this!

Before I knew it, Seongjun was smiling proudly at my reflection in the mirror.

“I know you might hate me saying this, but you look more beautiful, Miss Lau. The color and cut really suits you.” He said, brushing a section of my hair in place. I look in the mirror and my mouth hung open, feeling excited, nervous and relieved at the same time.

I feel like I’m not myself, but at the same time I tell myself that this is me. The cut, shoulder length, was not too short like what I feared and I can still pull it up in a bun or a ponytail. Although I didn’t notice the darker color, once the lights from the mirror reflected on it, I noticed how black it was and well, Na Young was right. I think it suits me.

“Wow, Seongjun, this is amazing.” I said, breathless. “The years of not having my hair not and having it dyed is worth it. Wow. I feel like I’m a different person.”

He chuckled in reply. “For someone whom I just met, yes, you look different. But you’re still yourself, don’t you worry.”

After some more chit-chat, he assists me back to the counter and although Na Young said that this makeover was already paid, I felt paranoid that I might be charged for it. But instead, Seongjun gives me his calling card and lets me sign on the log book.

“Thank you again, Seongjun. My hair looks really awesome thanks to you.” I said, running my fingers through the soft and silky strands.

“I do my best not only to make a customer’s hair happier, but to make my customer happy as well. You look really nervous when I first saw you.” He chuckles.

I sigh and give an apologetic smile. “Sorry, it’s just that I been having a lot of things to think about.”

He lightly pats my shoulder and smiles, leading me to the front door of the salon. “Don’t be sorry. Whatever it is that you’re going through right now whether that’s about university, or friends, or boys, it’ll be okay.”

“Wait, how… how did you know?” I ask, not being specific on what he said.

Just before Seongjun turns around to assist another customer, he smiles and says, “I’m psychic.”