It's not Dora the Explorer

It's Complicated

“Well someone’s happy today.” I nudged at Ji Sung, who was smiling as she looked at her class cards. Classes just ended and we got all of our class cards after the “bloody” midterm exam week. As expected from her, she got consistent As and A minuses with only one B plus while mine were a combination of A minuses and B pluses with a single B flat. It’s pretty okay considering the loads of things that I have to balance.

Ji sung kept her cards in her bag and grinned at me. “I’m really, really contented with these grades. And come on, you did well, Ji!”

“Does this mean we need to celebrate?” I leaned closer to her desk. It was our tradition that after we receive our cards, whatever grades we get, we’re going to treat each other to something we want.

“I do want some bubble tea and cheesecake,” she nods, but stares at me. “But don’t you have training?”

I shrugged. “I can skip a day or something. Besides, I’ve had a couple of whole-day trainings and I could just inform Na Young about it.”

“Is that okay?” She reluctantly asked.

I waved my hand and said it was okay and I took out my phone, dialling Na Young’s number. After two rings, she picked up.

“Jiyonn?”

“Hey, Na Young, it’s me! I’m just asking if it’s okay—“

I hear her soft laughter form the phone. “For you to skip training for the afternoon, I bet?”

“Uh-huh…” I slowly nodded. “Since I also had a couple of days where I went to practice the whole day and Mi Jung also told me that I’ve been keeping up with the routine, so…”

“It’s okay, go ahead.” She replied nonchalantly.

My eyes grew big in excitement hearing her approval. I heard Ji Sung ask me something in the background but I was already starting to plan things for this afternoon. “Really, Na Young? Seriously, you’d let me?”

“Well that is if you’re okay with extra practice hours in your next day of training; you’ve been keeping your vocal chords inactive for quite some time. But apart from that, I’m good. So, enjoy your afternoon!”

“Thank you thank you thank you, Na Young!” After exchanging goodbyes, I hung up and told Ji Sung that it was okay and we started to drown ourselves planning for things to do this afternoon. In the end, we decided to bake cupcakes in my apartment and just take a rest. We went to her family’s café for lunch and I called my parents and informed them about my grades, and they seemed to be really pleased with it.

“Does that mean we’ll be celebrating soon?” Dad replied over the phone.

“If you’d like to. I mean I don’t want to interfere with your work or anything.”

I could hear my dad’s faint laughter despite the buzz on the café. “Nonsense! We’d eat out again sometime this week. Is that okay with you?”

So it’s a deal. We’ll celebrate for my good grades soon and a voice in the back of my head tells me that this week is going to be a pretty busy one. And it sure will be.

After eating lunch, we decided to stop by the bubble tea shop before buying the ingredients. The shop didn’t have that much people so we didn’t have to wait in queue. As we exited the shop, we saw a man approaching us. As he got closer, I noticed the beanie he was wearing and I thought that only one person would wear that with those sunglasses.

“Hey there,” he said, and I swear to whoever there is above that the sun was literally shining under him. He was just wearing a plain shirt with a jacket over him, denim jeans and sneakers, but he looked different. A worrisome kind of different that I couldn’t describe. As far as I can remember, he used to wear sunglasses whenever they have a stressful time at practice or something.

But it doesn’t hurt to change every one in a while?

“H-Hi there.” I replied, realizing that maybe I was staring at him for too long.

Just then, I remembered that Ji Sung was with me and that she has to know—

“You must be, Ji Sung, am I right?” Ji Yong asked. Ji Sung then looked at me, perplexed, before I could even introduce them to each other. As if there was a need.

Ji Sung blinked a few times before shaking his hand. “Yes. I am Ji Sung… and you are?”

Unconsciously, I choked on my drink and he chuckled. “Am I missing on something?” Ji Sung asked. I glanced at her, hoping that she would get the message, but it was clear that she didn’t. So I told her that he was Kwon Ji Yong aka my senior from YG and then let’s say that Ji Sung kept on apologizing until I said that we’re going somewhere. He was patient (and a bit tired) throughout the short meeting and even offered a drink but I insisted on us leaving. I just felt that he was really tired and wanted to be by himself.

“I guess I’ll see you around, then,” was all Ji Yong said before he entered the shop.

On our way to the supermarket, Ji Sung couldn’t get over the fact that she failed to regocnize one of her biggest idols and just kept on talking about it. “Why didn’t you tell me it was him I swear I look so embarrassing! Now he might think that I’m some weird fan for—ugh!” She said, tossing a little bag of flour on our cart. “I really feel embarrassed about it.”

“Come on, cheer up! I don’t think it isn’t entirely your fault.” I shrugged.

“Do I blame you for not telling me sooner then?”

I stopped at an aisle and thought about it. Why hadn’t I told her? I recalled the previous events and—

“Let me guess,” Ji Sung said, her eyes peering at me. “You were speechless just by seeing him there.”

She knows me a little too well. 

“Whatever. Let’s just finish this and start baking. I am so hungry.” I replied. Thankfully, she was also excited to bake and she let that slip away.

When we arrived to my apartment, Ji Sung quickly demanded for a little tour around.

“Iron Man towel, Iron Man slippers… Captain America stuffed toy… Seriously, you still live on superhero merchandise?” She laughed, holding the stuffed toy on the sofa.

I grabbed it from her and held the stuffed toy closer. “No one is too old for the star-spangled man with a plan. No one.”

“But really, this is a nice place.” She said, walking around. “Mind if I sleep over here some time?”

“Of course, feel free! Living alone seems really sad at times.” I looked down, fiddling with Captain America’s arm.

Ji Sung snickered. “Awww, someone’s just a bit lovesick.”

“Shut up!” I laughed. “I’m better off without being in a relationship.” I replied proudly.

“Says the girl who was asking for the name of the music student who was playing the bass guitar three days ago—“

“His dimple is cute, okay? And I was just asking if you know his name. I just really think he’s cute, that’s all. As if I have time for that.”

Ji Sung raised an eyebrow. “What’s ‘that’?”

“That. You know, dating, whatever. I’m too busy for that.”

“If you say so…” She replied, and then looked at the plastic bag full of ingredients.

“Shall we start with baking now? I’m kind of hungry, really.”

We spent the rest of the afternoon baking, experimenting with different ingredients and tasting them. As much as I’d say that I’m enjoying my time with Ji Sung being “frustrated chefs”, I was still worried about Ji Yong and seeing him like that. It’s part of the job, they said, it’s okay to be tired because everything will eventually pay off; every drop of blood, sweat and every teardrop will be worth it. I’ve been there, done that. Every industry is like a jungle: the ones who do their best survive and ones who don’t… well everyone knows what happen to them.

If that’s the case, then why am I so worried?

Because I didn’t want to think about that, and because this day should be a stress-free day for me, Ji Sung and I went on a movie marathon until the night. We let each other choose three movies to watch, both of us agreed on 13 Going on 30, then I decided with Iron Man 2 and Ji Sung with the classic A Tale of Two Sisters. By the end of the movie marathon, we were both caught up in our own whirlwind of emotions.

“I am never watching that movie again!” I shouted. “I just—can’t—how am I going to sleep now? I don’t even remember watching the first movie!”

“I thought it wasn’t that scary!” Ji Sung replied, clutching a pillow in frustration. “The last time I watched it, I don’t remember it being that scary okay!?”

We then looked at each other and laughed out loud. It’s been a while since we last screamed our heads off in a horror movie, and this was a good time to do that.

“So it’s all okay now, right? No more creepy noises from the closet.” She said.

“Just think of Tony Stark. We’re safe.” I concluded.

Ji Sung had to go home after a few minutes so I took her out in order to get a taxi home. We baked an extra batch of cupcakes for her parents and I brought one downstairs myself because I felt hungry.

“Thank you so much for today, Ji. It was so fun baking cupcakes with you and watching you cry over Iron Man 2.”

“And it was nice to see both of us screaming and pinching each other. We needed that.” I laughed. “These cupcakes taste really good, by the way. We can tell your parents to add these in their menu!”

We bid our goodbyes and Ji Sung hailed a taxi on her way home. I figured it was still to early to go back to my apartment so I took a night walk around the block. For some reason, I felt spontaneous and decided to just walk around and—

“Isn’t it too early for a late night stroll?” I faced my left and found Ji Yong, still in the same clothes and still wearing those eyeglasses. All of a sudden, the doubts and worries I’ve kept in me broke loose. I felt like asking him a lot of questions, but maybe I’ll save them for another time. Not now.

I checked my wristwatch. “It’s 8:30 in the evening, nothing too early about that. Um, what about you?”

He smirked. “Same. Just needed a breather.”

We ended up walking together, just looking at the pretty street lights, observing the people who were probably out for a night with their friends, family, or loved ones. No one was speaking, me because I didn’t know what to say and him, for reasons I don’t know. Then I realized I was holding my uneaten cupcake so I decided to offer it to him.

“You sure you won’t eat it?” He asked, after looking at it.

“I think I’ve eaten enough of them. Here, take it.” I replied. Taking another reluctant look at it, Ji Yong finally took the cupcake from me.

“Nice watch, by the way.” I looked at my watch and noticed it was the Captain America kids’ watch I bought a year ago. I felt blood rush through my cheeks because not everyone knew about my penchant for superhero merchandises.

I blinked a few times before replying. “Thanks, it’s, um, a limited edition watch…”

I hope he gets the reference or else I’ll take this wristwatch off whenever I run into him.

“It’s not Dora the Explorer.”

At that time, I burst out laughing. Someone finally got that reference! Most people who asked me about it either look at me sceptically or would just agree.

“Hey, I watched Iron Man 3 as well, so I understood that.” He smiled.

Still, I couldn’t help but laugh. “Sorry, sorry I just never thought—“

“I never thought you’d actually like those kind of stuff.”

“What, kids’ watches or superheroes?”

“Both.” I’ve been told that several times, and most of the time, I’d just smile, but now I couldn’t think of any way to reply. So it was back to silence between us. Just then, I heard him sigh deeply.

“Is.. is something wrong?”

“Everything.”

At that time, I knew that Ji Yong wasn’t himself. Something is definitely wrong with him.

“I don’t even know if I made the right decision staying here… doing what I’m doing. Everything just feels so off and I’m not the person who overthinks… but what if I quitted?”

“Quitted…” I echoed, imagining how things would be without the famous G-Dragon. A couple of things came into my mind and I shook my head because I couldn’t bear the thought of it.

He went off to say more things but then and there, I was disappointed with him. He, who is the leader of one of the most known bands in the country and in Japan and is one of the respected singers in the music industry. He, who managed to get back up after many controversies. He, who touched many fans and people’s heart with his writing skills and confident demeanor. And now, he can just think of quitting as if it was the easy way out?

With much thought, I decided to give him my two cents. “Then go quit if you want to.”

He stopped walking and looked at me.

“Like what I said, if that solves the problem then go quit, leave or something. I’m not trying to sound too negative here but are you even thinking of the consequences of what you’ll do to everyone? Your friends, family and fans? Did you even think about them, or were you just thinking of yourself and what kind of gratification will you get from quitting, from backing out? What happened to the confident Mr. Heartbreaker G-Dragon, or Kwon Ji Yong? Where is he now?”

I took a deep breath and went on. “I don’t know what you’re going through, and as much as I want to help you with that, I’d rather know my place and stay out. But what I know is that you’re not yourself. If you want to quit because you find that the instant escape form this problem that you have, then go! But it’s all on you, because if you don’t manage to get back up from where you are, then good luck getting back up. No one else but you can solve that problem right now. And even if by now I want to get back on you for making me awful once in a while, I can't, because I know that you can get out of this.”

Maybe I was a little too harsh on him, but reality check, I was just being honest. Everyone has that moment when they just needed a little push to snap out of something, and hopefully I pushed him out of that little shell of his.