Balance

It's Complicated

I woke up early for classes and left the house before Mom or Dad woke up. Having only a glass of milk and some cookies for breakfast, I rode the train, ready for a hectic day. I hardly had any sleep today because of my whole body aching plus a headache. 

What a great start.

I arrived school earlier than usual, so I took a quick nap, or at least tried to. Until Ji Sung arrived minutes later.

"Good morning, Yonnie!" She beamed across the room and took her usual seat next to me. 

"Morning." I mumbled.

"Well look at the sleepyhead." She laughed.

"My body was aching like hell last night!" I burst out of the blue. "And my head was aching, how would you expect me to have a good night's sleep?"

"Aw, it's okay," she replied, patting me on the head. "It'll be okay you know. Anyway, you experienced this before, so you can pass by it."

"Thanks for that. D'you mind me sleeping?" I asked. "I really need some rest."

"Sure, of course. I still have some things to finish anyway." She replied.

The day was as slow and as painful as my headache. Boring professors, boring and painful lessons on Math. But I have to stay focused. Just because I'm some trainee, I just can't leave studies can I? There has to be balance between training and studies. Let me tell you a secret. Before when I was training in SM, I nearly failed on all my subjects, if I didn't study until 2 in the morning. I was too focused on training that I forgot I was a student. That was when I learned I really need to balance my studies. 

Finally, classes ended, and thankfully, my headache was kind of gone. I went straight to the school's changing room and changed to my training suit: sweatpants, a plain V-neck and sneakers.

"Good luck!" Ji Sung said. When she left, I decided to have a quick but heavy lunch at the school canteen. After eating, I left for practice.

The train ride from school to YG Ent. was pretty long, so I did some of my homework along the way. Luckily I didn't miss the stop so I arrived just before 1. I spotted Na Young teaching some dance routines to some trainees and I gave her a quick wave. In return, she gave me a "five more minutes" sign, which probably means she'd be there later. On the way to my practice room, I passed by 2NE1 sunbaes and I gave them a bow. Even if it was just a day, I felt like I'm getting used to this; bowing to sunbaes, feeling like YG Ent. is my home, and more stuff I can't explain. I'm being overwhelmed by another chance. 

I was so overwhelmed that I didn't realize I walked straight into my practice room door. My closed practice room door.

Quickly, I regained my calm and looked around if someone saw it, but thankfully, no one did.

"Careful there, you reckless idiot."

Huh. I looked around again, and found Ji Yong smirking along the hallway. I was going to argue about minding one person's business when I remembered he was my senior, and that I should respect him, even if his attitude isn't to be respected at all.

"Good day, sunbae." I said, bowing. 

"Well aren't you being polite today, huh?" He said, coming closer. "Got a fever or something?" I tried opening the door of my practice room, but it wouldn't open. Crap, it's locked. I thought, trying to look for the key in my bag. 

"Are you feeling okay, there?" He said, placing his palm on my forehead. I could feel my face redden and my heart beat faster as he leaned down to take a closer look at me.

"I'm okay." I said, shoving his hand away.

I found the key and opened the door. "And I am naturally polite, thank you."

But he doesn't seem to buy it. "Really. Then I'm sorry for being rude to your politeness." He said, bowing.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked.

"If you think it's funny," he replied nonchalantly. Idiot. I mumbled, opening the door. You big idiot. I was about to slam the door when I  spot Na Young coming.

"Good day, Na Young noona," Ji Yong said, bowing to her when she arrived.

"Ah, good day Ji Yong. I thought I saw you at the recording studio." Na Young replied. All of a sudden, Ji Yong points at me.

"I was just helping her. She kinda hit her head on the way." He said, innocent and all, like a kid showing off to his teacher. 

"N-No, I'm okay now." I said.

"Is that so...?" Na Young replied. 

"Oh well, I better go noona," Ji Yong says. "They're probably looking for me." He said and walks away.

"Ji Yong, such a nice kid." I hear Na Young say as we entered the practice room. As much as I wanted to say that he an arrogant and bossy jerk, I stay silent unpacked my towel, iPod and speakers. She discusses my schedule for today: vocal practice until 4 then I get a 30-minute-break and dance practice until 7:30. So, I really, really need to be focused today in order not to screw things up.

We go back to that studio where I had my first vocal practice and meet the trainer there. Thankfully, no one else was there, so I was comfortable. Until I see a man in his early thirties enter the room. His face seem familiar, but I couldn't figure out who he is.

"Hong Jun," the trainer said, approaching the man. "how's it going? It's been a while, eh?" Who is he? And as Na Young greets him, too, I couldn't help but think, "Why don't you people introduce me to this person? Who is he?"

"Jiyonn," Na Young said, approaching me. "This is Teddy Park, and he will be with us for vocal practice." At the moment she said that, my jaw dropped. I felt this weird pressure pulling me down. Last time, it was Big Bang and 2NE1, now Teddy Park, the Teddy Park.

"N-Nice to meet you, sunbae." I hear myself saying, bowing.

"So you're Jiyonn," he said, shaking my hand. "I've heard many things about you." Before I could ask what were those things about me, he explained that he'll be analyzing what kind of genre would suit me. 

"Just pretend I'm not here," he said, jokingly, hiding behind the vocal trainer. I started off with yesterday's 'homework', Hwayobi's Bye Bye Bye, then we did some songs by Gummy, Lim Jeong Hee and Jang Ri In, plus some more songs in English. We'd take short breaks after every song, and start again.

"So far you're doing well," Teddy said. I bowed to him as he continued with his analyzing. "You just need some practice on those ad libs; you tend to lose your breath quickly, but I guess we'll be able to fix that, eh?" 

I nodded in return, clutching my water bottle. Then I realized he was laughing. "Oh yeah, I was here to check on your future genre, not to be your vocal critic. Anyway, you're diverse, you know? You're good in ballads, and in RnB, it's an advantage so the future albums you release aren't revolving on one genre."

"Wow." was all I can say.

I was so engrossed in Teddy sunbae's explanations that I hardly realized the vocal trainer and Na Young were there listening. "Sooner or later, we'll discuss this genres with Yg hyung and your manager," he said, nodding to Na Young. "and we'll see what YG can turn you into."

After that, we decided to practice on ballad for a week or so(since I need to fix my "losing-your-breath-problem"), then another genre on the next week until I "mastered" them. I go for a quick water(strictly not cold) break and tried some ballads. After practice Teddy sunbae and I had a little talk and then he left. Then the vocal trainer gave me a list of songs for reference, and he left soon.

"Nice work today," Na Young said. I gave her an appreciative, "thanks" and asked her some more things about my training.

"You get a thirty minute break, like I said earlier. I'm going to check on some other trainees, so you can probably start without me. Here's a list of the songs we'll be practicing today; it's freestyle, so you can listen to them before we start. I'm sure you can do well on your own, right? Just balance things, you know what I mean."

"Got it," I replied. "And thanks, really. I don't feel awkward being here." I give her a little hug and she thanks me back. I go straight to the canteen to rest and Na Young's words echo in my mind.

Balance things. Separate personal stuff from work. Never forget studies. It may be unsaid, but it goes along with the word "balance", and it's something I should learn.