Chapter 7

Saving a Wreck

Taeyeon’s POV

The final exams were just a few weeks away but here I was, sitting in a random café in town, catching up with my childhood friend. Who could blame me? I mean, Tiffany was back in the country during her term break and would only stop over for a week before leaving again. It had been months since I last saw her and I missed her terribly. We had known each other ever since we were in diapers as our parents were best friends; we practically grew up together.

“A girlfriend huh? Do your parents know about it?” Tiffany asked.

I had just told her about Jessica.

“Haven’t told them yet. It hasn’t been long since we started dating and I don’t know how they would react.”

“It will be okay. People always say parents can’t win against their children. No matter how much they disagree with you, they’ll eventually give in.”

“True that. Why are you just staying for a week? It’s not often that you come back.”

“You miss me that much? Well, we’re having a family holiday. I’ll be back again, I promise.”

We talked a lot that day, filling in each other about our lives. Time passed and it was almost time for me to meet Jessica. She was studying at her favorite Starbucks outlet and I had promised her that we would go home together.

“You’re not going to meet my girlfriend? She’ll be coming anytime soon.”

“Nah Tae, I’ve got to go meet daddy and I’m late. Maybe some other time.”

“Okay then. Let’s meet up again before you go.”

“Sure thing. Bye!” Tiffany pecked my cheek before leaving.

The western culture had definitely rubbed off on her. I did not remember her being so physical before. Oh well, I was still glad to see her anyway.

“Since when has kissing your best friend become a habit of yours?” Someone whispered to me, right into my ear, making me shiver as hot air blew in.

“Oh my god! You scared me.” I turned and saw Jessica standing beside me with her arms crossed.

Her expression was… cold? Irritated? Oh no, she was jealous. If stares could kill, I would probably be buried six feet down by now.

“You deserve it sicko, bet you were enjoying your date with your best friend.” She was mad.

Crap, why did I not notice that she was nearby? Wait. But it was not my fault. I was not the one who went around kissing other people!

“Hey, it wasn’t my fault! I didn’t do anything. Besides, it was just a friendly peck on the cheek.” Jessica had turned her back on me, walking away in the direction of the train station.

“Come on princess. Talk to me. Alright, I was wrong, I shouldn’t have let her kiss me. Don’t be mad kay? I’ll buy you something to eat.”

“Nice try Kim Taeyeon. But it’s not going to work, I’m not Sooyoung.”

“Baby…”I started whining, grabbing onto her wrist, making her turn to face me.

“Gosh! Act your age, Taeyeon. You’re not a kid anymore.”

“Only if you will forgive me.” I looked at her, trying to look as innocent as I could.

“Fine, just this once. You’re so dying if it happens again.” She finally relented, not forgetting to add in a threat.

Yes! She could not resist me, and it was a fact.

“I promise that there’s no second time. I swear.”

Taking her hand into mine, I planted a sloppy kiss on the back of it before letting our hands drop back to our side, still keeping a strong hold on it.

“Let’s go home, I’m hungry.”

“Thought you were full just by looking at Tiffany.” A hint of sarcasm could be detected in her voice.

“Not again Jess, thought we were over it.” I groaned.

‘Damn it, she’s not going to forget it is she?’ I could foresee her bringing up the topic again if we ever get into a fight in the near future. Dang! ‘Look Tiff, see what you have gotten me into.’

The next few weeks were filled with sleepless night as I burnt the mid night oil, rushing through my revision for the final exams. I was craming a whole year worth of knowledge into my brain in just a short amount of time. Tension ran high and I was getting touchy at home, ready to flare up at anyone who tried to interrupt me while I study. I kept my composure in school though, not wanting my friends to be at the receiving end of my wrath. I had an image to keep, I reminded myself.

I was at the study area reading through my notes while waiting for Jessica’s last class to end. Sooyoung and Yuri were with me. Yuri was patiently teaching a frustrated Sooyoung, coaching her on the steps to solve a particular Math problem. No matter how Yuri explained to her, Sooyoung just did not seem to get it.

“Baby, ready to go home now?” Jessica sneaked up behind me, giving me a quick peck on my lips as I twisted my head to the side.

“Ewww…no PDA-ing in school. Get a room.” Yuri snickered, while Sooyoung rolled her eyes at us.

“Get used to it Kwon. You are just jealous. Confess to Yoona before she’s taken then.” I shoot back.

“You’re so going to get it from me midget.”

“I would like to see you try.”

“Watch me. You are so gonna regret saying this.”

Before I could add in another snide remark, Jessica pinched my arm lightly, signaling me to let it go.

“Come on guys, break it. Stop being lame. We’ll see you next week then. Good luck for your paper on Monday.” Jessica put a stop to our childish behavior and helped me pack my bag.

“Bye Sica. Good luck for your paper too.” Sooyoung replied, looking up from her assignment.

“Yea, good luck to you too. And Tae, don’t think that you’re getting away just because Jessi saved your this time round. You’re still getting it from me once the exams are over.” Yuri smirked at me.

I was just about to retort when Jessica pulled me away from the group.

“That was mean of you Taengoo, stop making fun of Yuri.” Jessica reprimanded me once we were far enough from the duo.

“Only if she leaves us alone.”

“Whatever Tae. Suits you.”

“What’s the point of scolding me then?”

“Urgh! You are annoying”

“But you love me.”

“I don’t know why either.”

“Okay, that was mean.”

“You love me anyway.”

True.

“Why are we having this argument again?” I asked, feeling stupid.

“Cause you were not acting your age?”

“Fine, let’s stop talking about this."

 

--           

 

I was tapping my feet impatiently on the floor. Damn, what was taking them this long to collect all the scripts? It was the last exam that we would have to take for the entire year, and I could not wait to get out from the exam hall.

“Alright, you may now leave.”

Yes! Finally. Cheers could be heard as students rose from their seats, making their way out.

“Come on, hurry up! I’m hungry and Jessica’s probably waiting for us. You don’t want your Princess to wait too long do you Taeng?” Sooyoung said while dragging me along. Sunny Yoona and Yuri were already ahead of us.

“Aish! Just let me keep my pencil case won’t you.” I grumbled, trying to zip my bag up.

“You’re such a slow poke.”

 

Since our school was near town, it took us 10 minutes by train to reach and Jessica was already there, waiting for us. Her last paper ended the day before which explained why she came straight from home. The gang was out today to celebrate the end of exams incorporated with our third monthsary since Jessica and I got together. It had actually passed a few days ago and was left uncelebrated due to the final exams so we were making up for it that day. Jessica gave me a hug as soon as she saw me and linked her arms in mine.

“It’s too sweet, I’m gonna get diabetes.” It was Yuri again.

Why can’t she leave us alone?

“Yul, stop teasing them.” Yoona elbowed Yuri, which shut her up.

I stuck my tongue out at her, making sure that she saw it.

Yuri left us alone since then, she was so whipped. I should have told on her earlier if I had known that she would listen to Yoona. At least she was keeping quiet now.

Lunch was Japanese buffet again, with Sooyoung and Yoona taking extra helping now and then. I had been to countless buffet lunch throughout the whole year that I had lost count of it. My appetite had also increased since I knew the group, and it was partly because of those two, who had dragged me to eat with them whenever there was a break between lessons. To make matter worse, training had stopped after the competition season and a long period of time had passed since I last worked out. I had gained an extra 5 kg since the start of the year, which reminded me- I needed to visit the gym soon.

“Happy third monthsary Tae, Jessi.” Yuri said, with a huge grin plastered on her face.

She handed me a box with a mischievous glint in her eyes. What was she up to?

“It’s your present. I’m sure you needed it.”

Okay, that was weird. The grin was still on her face. I could not trust her, she was not known as the group’s biggest prankster for nothing and I could still remember all the pranks that she had pulled on us throughout the year.

“Go on, open it up. You are going to thank me later and it’s blue in color, your favorite.” The grin on her face was getting wider.

“What did you get them Yul?” everyone was getting curious.

“That’s for her to tell. But if she doesn’t, I’ll tell you later.” Yuri was smirking by then.

I backed into my seat, leaning as far away from Jessica as I could.

“I’ll take a look at it first. It could be something weird.” I told her.

“Okay.”

Slowly, I lifted the lid of the box, taking a peep. What I saw next made the blood rushed up my face and I could feel myself heating up, I shut the lid back immediately. ‘Oh my gosh, was this her revenge on me for teasing her the last time?’ Remind me to kill Yuri later.

Yuri burst out laughing upon seeing my reaction which only made the others even more curious.

“What’s inside Taengoo- ah?”

Without saying a word, I passed the box over to Jessica, giving Yuri a glare. Why, that joker! You are so dead I swear. How on earth did she even manage to get that in the first place?

I heard Jessica gasped when she saw the content inside, blushing a deep crimson red. She pushed the box back in Yuri’s direction mumbling something that sounded pretty much like “You can have that back. We’re so not using it.”

“You can’t return a gift.” I’m going to wipe that smirk off her face.

“Oh yes I can.” I rebutted.

“You can, but I’m going to yell and tell everyone what you’ve got there. I’m sure you don’t want that to happen do you?”

Remind me why she was my friend again.

Left without a choice, I took back the box and stuffed it hastily into my bag.

“What was it Taeng?” Sooyoung asked.

She did not get a response from both Jessica and I, which prompted her to look at Yuri for an answer.

“You had better not tell them Yul. I’m getting back at you for this.” I threatened.

“I would like to see you try.” Why did that sound so familiar?

I let the case drop as I knew it was hopeless to argue with her. She was going to tell the rest anyway. I knew it.

The restaurant was filled with Sooyoung, Sunny and Yoona’s laughter seconds later, snickering every now and then. My girlfriend had her face pressed into my shoulder with her hands over it to hide her blush. Yuri was a close buddy, but I was tempted to kill her right there and then.

It was a . A freaking . I thought you needed to be at least 21 to buy anything from that freaking shop so how on earth did she bloody get that offending stick?

I could not wait to get away from them and I could tell that Jessica was just as eager as I was. When we finally got to be alone, awkward silence was hanging in the air and nobody said anything.

“What do you suggest that we do about that dil… that… thing?” She finally spoke up after what seemed like ages.

As erted as I was, I knew we were not ready to bring our relationship up to the next level. It sounded so wrong, so sick. We barely got together. No way would I do it with Jessica at this stage.

“Throw it out I suppose, unless you plan on using it.” Feeling playful all of a sudden, I decided to , watching her face flushed.

By the time I got home, I had completely forgotten about Yuri’s gift till I emptied my bag and the box dropped out, revealing its content. I turned to look at my door. I had left it open and was afraid that my parents would walk past and see that thing. After looking around my room for a few seconds, I opened my drawer and buried the gift under my clothes where it will stay till I remember to throw it out one day.

With that done, I flung myself onto bed, thinking about the date Jessica had promised me tomorrow. We had a month off from school before the results were to be released on results day but unlike the mid-years, I was not nervous about it. I thought I had done pretty well and would have no problems with getting promoted to our final year. Next year’s going to be a tough year with all the preparations for the A level exams and I am sure that there would not be much time for us to go on dates. I figured that I should make use of our break now to make up for next year.

“I better start planning for our dates, there’s so much that I’ve wanted to do with her.” I got my laptop out and started on my research, I was planning on pampering my princess the way she deserves to be treated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Okay, chapter 7's up as promised. Enjoy reading(: