Chapter 38

Saving a Wreck

A/N I actually checked my work this time round but I might miss some mistakes here and there. Enjoy reading anyways (:

 

“I can’t believe after 10 years of being away, I’m finally going home.” Taeyeon sighed, taking a seat beside Jessica after shoving her girlfriend’s hand carry baggage in the plane’s overhead storage bin.

“I know right.” Jessica hooked an arm around Taeyeon’s, leaned over the arm rest and rested her head on the midget’s shoulder. “I kind of like working here, but I guess I miss home more.”

“You’re lucky you get to work with Sunny.” Taeyeon pinched Jessica’s nose, making her scrunch up her nose. “I won’t know anybody at the hospital.” And then she pouted, thinking of all those new people at work she will have to get acquainted with.

“You’re going to be just fine, Taeng. You always worry too much.”

It got quiet between them as they sat there, listening to the air stewards and air stewardess going down the aisle telling passengers to buckle up their seatbelts. The reality of them going home for good was just setting in.

College years had passed rather quickly.

Jessica got her degree first and ended up doing her masters while interning. After which, she managed to find a job at an established law firm just so she could stay by Taeyeon’s side.

Taeyeon had it hard in the last few years of med school which required her to be hands on in the University Hospital. It stressed her out to no end, for they got to diagnose their own patients and she could no longer just say 'pain' when asked for any signs and symptoms by the attending. It got easier after a while, but still…

She came home traumatized one day, after witnessing a patient’s death from cardiac arrest for the first time in the ICU. His vitals had been stable moments before but went down all of a sudden and he then stopped breathing. Despite all their efforts, he could not be revived.

“He just stopped breathing…he was breathing before but he stopped. Baby, he stopped breathing and died right there...”

Jessica ended up spending the entire night trying to calm her down and make her get some sleep. Taeng went back to the hospital the next day still visibly shaken by the whole event.

But before she knew it, she had obtained her practicing license after witnessing a few more deaths along the way, which by then, she had learnt not to get too affected by it. The feeling of losing a patient was not something that one simply get use to.

They had spent a few years working in the UK though both were pretty home sick by then. It was only when Sunny suggested for Jessica to join her in setting up their own law firm one day did they finally decided it was time to pack up.

A month after Sunny and Jessica came up with a concrete plan, they had most of their stuff shipped back home, booked their flight tickets and then put their apartment up for rent.

Taeyeon had also sent in a resume to one of the hospitals, hoping to find work as soon as possible, but not before she gets the break she so needed.

 

“I miss my baby.” Taeyeon whispered to herself, thinking that Jessica had fallen asleep.

The plane had taken off not too long ago, but Jessica had been very still since before.

“Your baby’s 17 now.” Ah…apparently the lawyer was awake. “Taeng, you do realize we were 17 when we first met right?”

Taeyeon frowned, realizing that time had passed by too quickly for her own liking and she had felt very much like a 20 year old despite being 28 already. “Stop it, you’re making me feel old.”

“And I’m about as old as you are. When do you ever not feel old?”

Taeyeon sighed “When I’m in bed with you.” and pushed Jessica’s head away from her shoulder, who in turn took out her tablet and started reading through some documents Sunny had sent her.

All those time spent with her byuntaeng, Jessica had known by then when not to take her too seriously.

“But seriously, I wonder how she’s coping in junior college, or if she’s got anyone she likes now…” Taeng fiddled with the safety belt strap, deliberating if she should take it off now that the sign was no longer lit up. “She stop telling me things when she grew older and it kind of makes me feel sad…you think it’s because I’ve been away for far too long and we drifted apart?”

“You talk on web cam…and went back home once in a while.” Jessica mumbled, not looking up from the tablet. “They came over a few times too.”

Taeyeon clicked her tongue at that reply. It was true that she went back home during the holidays but ever since she secured a permanent job at the hospital, those visits had significantly reduced.

Jessica on the other hand, who managed to get more off days than Taeyeon ever would, flew back more often, leaving her disgruntled girlfriend alone in their apartment.

“But I never stayed long. Even you get to see her more than I did. I bet she likes you more than she likes me now.”

“What? Are we seriously having this talk? She’s your sister for God’s sake and she isn’t 6 anymore.”

“I haven’t been much of a sister for the past 10 years.”

Taeyeon could not help but think of all those times she had spent apart from her baby sister, who was not so much of a baby any more. The girl seemed to be growing up so fast and every time Taeyeon went home, Hayeon was taller than the last time she remembered her to be.

Despite Taeyeon’s fear that she had lost standing in her sister’s life, Jessica knew that deep down, Hayeon is still pretty much Taeyeon’s baby girl who needed her sister even though she was being less vocal about it- probably due to the fact that she was going through this awkward teenage phrase, or maybe she was just too much of a mini Taeng to begin with.

“I’m sure she misses you just as much as you’ve missed her. You haven’t been worrying about this before so why now?” Jessica put down her tablet and reached over to pat Taeyeon’s cheek. “You’re going to be fine…and if you really feel bad for not being there, you can always start now…now that we’re back for good.”

“Right…right, I should. I don’t know what got over me…” Sighing once more, Taeyeon stretched her legs out and shifted some to find a more comfortable position. Seeing that her girlfriend was a little more relax, Jessica went back to her documents. “Wake me up when they start serving food…”

 

--

 

It was hard to adjust back to local culture since Taeyeon had gotten so used to living in the UK. But what bothered her the most was that Jessica no longer shared the same bed as her. It felt weird to fall asleep without Jessica’s warmth and Hayeon had caught her smooching her bolster in her sleep when she went to wake her up one morning, much to her embarrassment.

Taeyeon’s new job would not start for another month and she had taken onto herself to drive Hayeon to school in the morning.

It was the very same Junior College she and Jessica went to and whenever she drove into the school compounds, it brought back memories of her own JC days.

 

“How are your grades so far? Are you keeping up in lectures?” Taeyeon asked, knowing that the first year would be crucial and she did not want Hayeon following her footsteps.

“I failed Math during common test, but other than that, the rest are fine.”

“You failed Math?” Taeyeon frowned, not seeming pleased at the news. “Did you study? Need any help? You don’t skip lessons do you?”

“Sis, it’s just one test.”

“Still…you know you can’t screw up your finals right? And in case you do, it’s better safe than sorry to keep your grades consistent.”

“Don’t worry, it won’t happen.” The teenager replied with a wave of her hand.

“Hayeon…stop texting on your phone and listen to me.”

“I am listening…God, I swear you nag more than mom. Do you nag at Jessi unnie this much too?”

“You know it’s because I care.” Taeyeon retorted, offended that her sister saw her as a naggy old woman. “Ask if you ever need help, I think I still remember some of my A levels stuff.”

“Nope, thanks but no thanks…Jeez…Unnie needs to marry you soon and take you home so you can’t breathe down my neck 24/7.” Hayeon sighed, looking out of the window.

“Why you ungrateful punk. I should stop sending you to school then…let’s see how you feel waking up so god damn early in the morning to catch the train.”

“Dad will fetch me even if you don’t.” Hayeon replied flippantly and Taeyeon saw her stuck her tongue out at her from the corner of her eye.

*Smack*

“Ow! Unnie!” Her sister whined, rubbing her thigh where Taeyeon had smacked her.

It was not that hard a smack really, Hayeon was just exaggerating.

“I’ll tell him not to. Just cause you’re the baby of the family doesn’t mean he should pamper you this much.”

“Fine, I’m sorry…But seriously, isn’t it like time for you two to get married or something? You’ve been together for this long.” And she held up both forefingers to show 11.

“You know it’s not that easy. Besides it hasn’t been that long since I paid off the loans, I still need time to save up for that.”

“You both earn enough for that and you know it. What’s stopping you?”

“It’s simply because the timing isn’t right, yet. We just got back and she’s still in the midst of setting up her firm. Sunny has got connections here, but she doesn’t. It’ll take some time before things settles down……Soon, okay? Just not now……” Taeyeon was hoping that her sister would stop probing into that aspect of her life since she was still not comfortable at discussing about marriage with others, family included. “Why do you care so much about it anyway? What you should be doing instead is focus on passing your Math and keeping the rest of your grades up there.”

“Urgh…Yea, yea. I got that. Stop nagging me.”

“You better prove it to me by the next class test. It’s coming up isn’t it?” Hayeon nodded. “And one more time I hear any nagging mama comments from you, you’re so getting it.” Taeyeon threatened but Hayeon merely shrugged, shifting her attention back to her phone.

 

“Put on your tie Hayeon-ah. We’re here.”

She watched as her sister fumbled with it, wondering how anyone can still not know how to tie it at that age, especially when it was part of the school uniform. Feeling like she could not watch on any longer, she reached over and helped Hayeon with the knot.

“There, now you look smart…Get out get out, you’re jamming the traffic behind.”

“I end school at 5. Pick me up.” With that, Hayeon opened the door and got out.

Taeyeon shook her head at her sister’s demand. That little Princess. Maybe too much time spent with Krystal had resulted in the Jung sisters’ traits rubbing off on her. “Bye, baby girl, love you!” Taeyeon shouted out loud enough to gain the attention of some of the students in the foyer.

She chuckled out loud as her sister looked down at the ground, quickly closing the door behind her.

A few moments later, she received a text message and at the next traffic light, she took the chance to check it.

 

To: Taetae Unnie

I love you too.

But it will be nice if you’ll stop embarrassing me in front of all those people.

From: Hayeonie <3

 

“You never fail to amuse me, young lady.” Taeyeon said to herself, driving off to pick up the real Princess for breakfast before her Highness got too angsty from waiting.

 

--

 

It had not been that long since they were back but both Jessica and Taeyeon had settled down surprisingly faster than expected and had also gotten used to how differently things work as compared to the UK.

 

“Hi Doc, here for boss number 2?” The secretary greeted Taeyeon as soon as she stepped into the office, which was in fact just a unit on the 10th floor in one of the office buildings in town.

Sunny and Jessica had partitioned it so they get their own personal space and what was left of it became the reception area.

“Yup. Is she in?”

The secretary nodded her head towards Jessica’s personal office but had her thumb pointing downwards.

“Bad mood?” Taeyeon mouthed.

A thumb and forefinger was showed with a small gap in between and Taeyeon got the hint.

“Right, I got that.” Taeyeon whispered and then turned to knock on Jessica’s door.

A muffled ‘come in’ was heard and Taeyeon opened it, poking her head in.

“Hey Princess.” Jessica looked up from her work and gave Taeyeon a small smile, prompting her to come in. “Had a bad day?”

“Not really. Just one very demanding client who wants things done chop chop.”

Taeyeon leaned in to give her girlfriend a peck on lips, one hand rubbing Jessica’s arm.

“Aw, my poor baby…” She eased the pen out of Jessica’s grip and tugged lightly on her hand. “C’mon, this can wait. Let’s go for lunch, I’m hungry.”

She heard Jessica sighed, but the lawyer made no attempt to resist when she led them out of the room.

“Sunny’s not in?”

“She went out to meet a client.” Jessica replied, deadpanned, switching off the lights in her personal office.

“Too bad for her then, I found this nice little café nearby, but she can always join us next time.”

“Going for lunch boss?”

Jessica nodded her head and then asked, “Do you want to join us?”

“It’s okay, I’ve got my lunch. But you have an appointment at 2.” Turning to Taeyeon the secretary added. “Doc, make sure you have my boss back here by then.”

Taeyeon gave her an okay sign and winked, an action that did not escape Jessica’s hawk like eyes.

 

“You know, Jamie’s kind of cute…and funny.” Taeyeon said when they were well out of earshot. “Why does she not have a boyfriend yet?”

“You think my secretary’s cute?” Jessica looked aghast. “I’m telling Sunny we’re going to have to replace her since my girlfriend has the hots for the current one…Hmm…I don’t want to be working with potential rivals.”

Taeyeon chuckled as she put an arm around Jessica’s shoulder and pulled her closer.

“But you know what?”

“What?” Jessica sounded annoyed but Taeyeon knew that she was just pretending to be.

“She’s cute, but you’re hotter than she’ll ever be.” She nudged Jessica with her hip who stumbled a little and ended up laughing.

“At least you’re laughing now.”

 

Lunch was a quick affair, Taeyeon had to rush back to the hospital but not before she managed to drop her girlfriend off in front of her office building.

“I’ll see you later kay? We can’t be late. I’ll call you when I’m done with my round.”

“Okay, see you.” And before Jessica exited the car, she landed a peck on Tae’s cheek who could not stop grinning.

 

--

 

“Taeng! Sica!”

Taeyeon heard their name being called, but she was having trouble identifying where the voice came from. In fact, there were so many people in the pub that she had to hold tightly onto Jessica’s hand in case they got separated.

“Taengoo, she’s over there.” Jessica tapped her arm to gain her attention and started leading them in the opposite direction.

They came to a quitter corner of the pub and that was when she finally saw her giant of a friend.

“Sooyoung!” She let go of Jessica’s hand and jumped onto Sooyoung, bringing her into big bear hug.

Sooyoung laughed, throwing her head backwards and giving her pats on the back.

“You’re still as short as ever. Guess the air over there didn’t make you grow any taller.”

“What’s with the dig at my height again?” Taeyeon huffed, letting go of Sooyoung who then gave Jessica a hug too. “Where are the rest?”

“In a private room upstairs. Do you guys need any drinks?”

“As long as it’s not alcoholic.” Taeyeon replied.

Jessica on the other hand had asked for a cocktail.

“Tsk. What’s the fun if you don’t drink at a pub?” Sooyoung clicked her tongue, shaking her head disapprovingly at Taeng’s choice of drink.

“I’m driving, and I’ve got work the next day.”

Nonetheless, Sooyoung relayed their orders to one of the employees who was passing by and then led them up the stairs. “You missed the opening, but that’s okay. I’ve still got lots of good food for you guys…since I love you all so much.”

“Aww…you know I love you too. Congrats on your branch opening, Soo, and I’m so sorry we couldn’t be here earlier.” Taeyeon scratched the back of her neck feeling apologetic for missing the opening which took place earlier. “The A&E was a little hectic, apparently there was some accident along the highway.”

“And there was this client who walked in half an hour before we close, wanting to draft a will. I had to brief him through the procedures. Sunny was still talking with one of her clients when we left, she’ll be here a little later.”

“I have such busy friends…guess Yuri’s the only one who’s not that busy.”

Speaking of Yuri, that girl had become a yoga instructor and was giving out private lessons. The pay was good and it gives her the freedom to rearrange her class timings. In other words, if Taeng were to call her out for lunch or anything, Yuri could always ditch class and reschedule it just for her friend. Seems like she will never lose her ditching habit, but at least she did make it up to her students who were mainly rich housewives in their late forties with nothing better to do.

Yoona on the other hand took up theatre studies after Junior college and had joined a small production company upon graduation. She had been busy with a production up until recently when it ended and was currently on a break.

Those 2 had gotten married 3 years ago. Taeyeon and Jessica had been there at wedding, held in a chapel at Las Vegas. They had been envious and Taeyeon stayed up all night in the hotel room after the ceremony, listening to Jessica come up with all sorts of different ideas for their future wedding.

“Hey buddy. Yo!”

Taeyeon gave Yuri a fist bump as soon as they saw each other and then waved to Yoona, whose form was hidden behind her very enthusiastic wife.

Everybody had their own life now and even though they had not been meeting up often, conversations flowed naturally.

11 years ago when they were all in junior college, nobody would have imagined themselves coming this far in life. Each had become successful in their own ways despite some trials. Guess it is true that what does not kill you makes you stronger.

They started on dinner first while waiting for Sunny who arrived not long after, and the group of friends spent the night eating and talking, catching up on the times they had not seen each other.

Drinks were on the house, as a form of gratitude; Sooyoung’s way of thanking them for coming to her branch opening.

Somewhere along the conversation, marriage was brought up and of course the attention shifted to Taeyeon and Jessica who among all of them, save for the happily married pair, had been in a relationship the longest.

Taeyeon did not know who, but somehow, the inevitable question was asked. “Still no plans of marrying yet?”

“Huh?” Taeyeon feigned cluelessness while Jessica took a sudden interest in her cellphone, when in fact she was just staring at the lock screen.

“Eyy, you know what we mean. No invitations yet?”

Taeyeon did not know why she was nervous. It was just one question. But her eyes darted everywhere, not seeming to be able to meet their gaze. A blush was slowly making its way to her face. Without herself knowing, she reached out for what was left of Jessica’s cocktail and downed the remaining drink in one shot, feeling the alcohol scorched the back of . Urgh. Why on earth did Jessica ordered such a strong drink?

Marriage. Why was everyone asking her that?

Both their parents had been asking them ever since their return and now their friends were asking the same.

If it were to be like this, she was already starting to dread going for house visitations at her relatives’ during the Lunar New Year all over again, much like the time she had felt when she repeated a year in school.

Meeting relatives had been proven to be a very tiring affair. They were obviously going to find topics to talk about and since she was done with school, they were bound to find some other things to discuss, and Taeyeon was pretty sure it includes jobs, marriage and kids. All of which were topics she was not too keen to discus. But with Jessica next to her, maybe…maybe then it would not be that bad.

Coming home is good, except for that one little problem. 

Flustered, Taeyeon nudged Jessica who glanced up from her phone.

Their eyes met for that few seconds, and to the rest it looked like they were having their own silent conversation.

“So?” Yuri prompted.

All of them were expecting Taeyeon to give an answer but instead it was Jessica who spoke first.

“We had a talk about it quite some time ago…but we had been rather busy these few months... we haven’t thought of it since then.”

“Why not? You guys have gotten used to things here. Taeng has a job in the hospital, the firm’s doing okay. What’s stopping you guys?” Sunny pointed out.

‘What’s stopping you?’ That was the third time she had heard that within 6 months. Krystal had asked the same question when she had went over for dinner a few weeks ago.

She knew money was really not the problem, they were no longer owing the bank any money and they both had stable jobs. Look at Yuri and Yoona, they were both doing fine. So what was really stopping her then? Was it really time, like what people had been telling her?

“We have each other. And that’s enough for now.” She left it at that for her friends to interpret and luckily they changed the direction of the conversation much to Taeyeon’s relief.

Knowing her words could be taken wrongly by Jessica, she reached over and took hold of her hand, giving it a small squeeze.

Jessica returned the gesture with a squeeze herself, reassuring Taeyeon that she was fine and then took another sip of water out from her glass.

 

It had been a very long time since all of them gathered in one place so it was a pity that Taeyeon and Jessica had to leave before mid-night, because despite it being a Saturday the next day, the former still had to work.

The drive back home was quiet, mainly because Jessica was too tired and had fallen asleep. She woke up just as Taeyeon turned into the driveway, yawning and giving herself a stretch.

They sat in silence for a few moments, parked in front of Jessica’s house, both wanting to be in each other’s company a little longer. They stayed that way until Taeyeon decided to break the silence.

“You trust me right, Princess?”

Jessica turned to face Taeyeon, head leaning against the head rest.

Taeyeon looked into Jessica’s eyes, eyes which showed so much emotions and passion, and allowed herself to get lost in them, almost forgetting the question that she had asked.

It was not until she felt Jessica slipping her hand into hers and intertwined them together did she snapped back to reality.

“I trust you, more than you know.” Jessica replied, keeping the eye contact.

Taeyeon blinked, not being able to withstand the intensity of Jessica’s stare and shifted her gaze onto Jessica’s lap. “Aren’t you upset by all the marriage talks?”

“And why should I be?”

“Because I haven’t propose after all these time?” Taeyeon offered, looking back up.

Taeyeon knew that even though her friends did not press them this time round, they could not escape from those questions all the time, especially since Jessica sees Sunny almost every day. There will come a time when they will have to give people a definite answer.

Jessica sighed. “Baby, I know that you want to marry me, you said so yourself. That is enough for me. Your intention, your heart…I don’t want us to rush into it just because everyone’s pressuring us to, Taengoo-ah, it defeats the purpose.”

Taeyeon smiled a little, bringing their intertwined hand up to kiss Jessica’s knuckles. “Just wait a little longer, darling…just a little longer, I promise.”

Jessica reached over with her free hand, cupped Taeyeon’s cheek and begin it.

Taeyeon felt herself relaxed into the touch. Ahh…this is home. Being next to Jessica is home.

She closed her eyes, focusing on warmth that Jessica was radiating.

“Princess, I’ve been thinking...let’s go house hunting next week. We really need a home of our own for a start.”

“Hmm…sounds good…honestly…” Letting their hands dropped onto Taeyeon’s lap, Jessica leaned in, at the same time pulled Taeyeon nearer to her by the face, and landed a peck on the corner of Taeyeon’s lips. “I miss having you next to me when I sleep.”

“Tell me what you are thinking.” Taeyeon whispered, their faces still dangerously close to each other. “I know that look in your eyes…Tell me what exactly you are thinking.”

“Stay the night, Taeng…it’s been a long time since we last did it. Stay…you can go home and change in the morning.”

And Taeyeon did. As if she was hypnotized by Jessica Jung’s voice, she stayed. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s ending soon!!! The chapter is a little fragmented, jumped a few hours/weeks/months here and there…but oh well…Hahaha…lost one or two subscribers but gained a lot more, guess some people stop reading since the news came out. But anyway, here’s a new chapter as promised. Hope you guys like it.  As usual, comments are very welcome. Till the next time~