Chapter 19

Saving a Wreck

Taeyeon's POV

“WHY DID'NT YOU BLOODY PICK UP YOUR PHONE? I'VE BEEN CALLING YOU SINCE 10 IN THE MORN AND IT IS 4 NOW!" I jumped, pulling the phone away from me.

My right ear was ringing. Even with the distance, I could still hear Yuri's voice clearly, wincing at the volume. Jessica chuckled beside me, amused.

“Hey, buddy, calm down-”

“Don't buddy me! Where have you been? You ditched us and we had to do the presentation without you!”

“You were the one who ditched us when we were supposed to present it yesterday! I’m sorry okay? Calm down.” I said, putting the phone on loud speaker mood.

“That…erm…I woke up late alright. But seriously, where were you?”

“Hi Yul, Taeng was with me!” Jessica yelled from across the room, while searching her wardrobe for clothes.

“…Jessica? Taeng, are you with Jessi?” Yuri was momentarily stunned; it took her a while to recognize Jessica’s voice.

“I was with her since yesterday, dummy.” I flipped onto bed, spreading my arms open.

“Jessi, are you feeling better?”

“I am! We just came back from a date!”

“She says she is. Don’t worry. I’m sorry I ditched the presentation. I didn’t plan it, I swear. I didn’t even realize that we have economics tutorial today.” I fiddled with the strap on my phone, checking out my timetable at the same time.

“You two made up? See, I told you Jessi will come around. She loves you too much.”

I looked up at Jessica as she made her way towards me, taking the phone away.

“I heard that Yul.”

“It’s the truth! You two are such hopeless romantics that I can’t stand to be around you sometimes.” Yuri’s voice was muffled; gaging sounds could be heard on the other end.

“One more word about that I’m going to skin you tomorrow.” Jessica warned her, voice dangerously low.

I went up behind Jessica, back hugging her, propping my chin on her shoulder.

“Yul, do me a favour can you?” I asked. “Help me forge a parent’s letter, please.” I whined, in the cutest voice I could muster. “You’re the best at it. I’ll pay for your food tomorrow.”

“I’ll make you one. Just stop speaking in that voice, it doesn’t suit you.”

“Yay! Thank you! Photocopy it. I need an excuse for skipping training too. I’ll see you in school tomorrow.”

“Yea sure, bye. I’ll text you the homework later.”

I ended the call, throwing the phone aside. It landed on the pillow.

“Get off me, I wanna shower.” Jessica tapped my hands which were resting on her abdomen.

“Can I come in with you?”

“No.” She tilted her head, giving me a peck on the cheek. “You know, Yuri’s right, we can be gross sometimes. Scratch that, you’re the touchy one.”

As if to prove her point, I had sneakily stuck my thumb under the waistband of her shorts. She smacked my hand hard, pulling it out to prevent it from going further down.

“As long as you like it.” I nibbled on her earlobe, making her giggle. “Too bad Yuri doesn’t like mushy things.” I released her, letting her go about doing her stuff.

As Jessica was showering, I started on my homework, borrowing her laptop for the softcopy of the worksheets uploaded on the e-learning portal, since I had left the hardcopy at home. I did not notice that she had come out from the bathroom until she placed a nicely wrapped package in front of me.

“What is this?” I asked, looking up from my worksheets.

“Your birthday present. You would have gotten it earlier if we had not fought.”

I picked up the gift, giving it a shake. It felt heavy in my palm.

“Can I open it?”

“Go ahead.” She urged, wrapping her arms around my shoulders from the back.

“I don’t know what you like.” Jessica murmured into my hair, it. I untied the ribbon, peeling the scorch tape off carefully. “And you’ve got everything you needed…Sunny and the rest got you a backpack too.” The wrappers fell away, revealing an elegant looking case.

“Wow. Even the box looks expensive. You didn’t spend a lot on it right?”

“It’s just once a year, Taeng. Don’t worry. I’ve got my own savings too. Go on, open it.”

I opened the lid; sitting in the case was a watch with snow white straps and a silver face. One, two, three…thirty six. It was decorated by thirty six tiny diamond studs around the rim, I counted.

“Like it? You love gadgets, so I got you a watch. You’ve been wearing the old one for years.”

“Like it? I love it! How much exactly did you spend?” I was still staring at the delicate piece of metal in awe, running my fingers along the leather strap.

“Not much really. It was on discount.”

I stuck my tongue out at her childishly, tilting my head backwards so that I was looking at her.

“Discount huh? But it still looks expensive, branded goods…I’m not going to wear it to school. It’s going to get scratched. Thank you.”

“It will still wear out eventually Taeng. Stop being so protective of it.” She said, pinching my checks.

“Oww…that hurts, Princess. Besides, I’ve got to start learning how to read analog watches.”

She chuckled and sandwiched my face between her palms, leaning forward to kiss my forehead.

“Muack! Do your homework Taeng. You’ve been a bad girl for playing truancy.”

She skipped away, taking her literature text along with her.

“And stop gawking at me.” She leaned against the pillows, pulling the covers over her legs. “Go take a shower.”

 

                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Looks real enough right? I signed for your dad.” Yuri had one long arm dangling over my shoulders as we walked towards the assembly ground.

“It doesn’t matter, so long as it doesn’t look like your handwriting.” I took the piece of paper over from her, examining the penmanship. “But it does look real enough, thanks.”

“You’re welcome. Tell me, how did you melt Sica’s ice? I noticed you came in together today. You’re in an awfully good mood.”

“With lots of kisses.” I , puckering my lips up, leaning towards her face.

“Ew…Don’t come near me. Yuck.”

I smirked.

“No, seriously, what did you do with her yesterday for you to skip school?”

“Took her out to shop and bought her clothes. You were bothering our alone time so I took my phone batt out.”

“Some friend you are. Up for lunch together after school?”

“Okay, but I can’t stay to chat. I promised Jess that I will catch up with the lessons I missed yesterday. Besides, I’ll be missing lessons again when the season starts.”

Luckily for me, our homeroom teacher accepted my letter without checking the content thoroughly. Maybe it was because I never had any problems with attendance like Yuri, or he simply chose to close an eye, the latter being more plausible since Yuri managed to get away all the time.

School was a breeze that day. Before I knew it, my last class ended.

 

“Baby, where are you? I can’t see you.”

“Turn around, I’m just behind.” I told Jessica, ending the call as Yuri and I made our way towards her.

Our hands found each other automatically and I landed a peck on her cheek.

“Ahem…I’m still here.” Yuri was standing awkwardly beside us, smirking as Jessica pulled away from me. “It’s not like you haven’t seen each other for years.” she stated.

We went out of school for lunch after school as planned; Jessica and Sunny could not join for we had different dismissal time. However, I had promised Jessica to meet up at the train station before going home together. Sooyoung and Yoona had to go back to school for extra lessons, leaving Yuri behind as the third wheel, much to her displeasure.

“How’s school today?” Jessica asked, ignoring Yuri.

“As usual. I ended earlier than you.” I grinned idiotically, like it was the best thing that ever happened.

“Are you going to ignore me? I can take the next train you know.” Yuri butted in, wanting some attention. "It's just a few stops for me."

“You can, it’s your choice. We’ll take the first train and you can take the next one that comes 3 minutes later.” Jessica joked. “When are you going to tell Yoona that you like her? It’s been more than a year since you started crushing on her.”

“Not funny Jessi.” Yuri made a face. “Besides, I don’t think she likes me that way. I'm just a friend."

“Ey...” I punched her shoulder. “How would you know if you don't try?”

“Gut feeling.” The train pulled up at the platform and we boarded it. “I don’t want to confess and ruin our friendship. I rather have her as a friend than nothing.”

“It’s still worth-”

“I know, Taeng. It’s not the right time now, I’ll have to wait. Maybe after the ‘A’ levels next year or something.”

“That’s too long...You-”

“But you guys are really touchy.” Yuri interrupted me mid-sentence once again.

“Hey! Why did you cut me off? People keep cutting in when I’m about to say something.” I huffed.

“Sorry Taeng, I can’t see you.” Yuri chortled.

“Stop using my height against me!” I frowned.

They had been making fun of my physique for over a year, it was not funny anymore.

“Face the truth, you can't grow any taller. Anyway, jealousy aside, you are practically all over each other all the time. It gives me the goose bumps.” Yuri glanced over at Jessica, checking out her reaction. “You're not going to skin me right?” She added nervously.

Yuri did not have to worry about that for Jessica seemed like she was deep in thought.

“We’ll tone it down a little.”

My head snapped up, looking at my girlfriend in surprise, not believing what I had just heard. That was not the response I was expecting.

“You’ll still get your kisses at home.” She continued, tapping my nose with her index finger.

My lips inevitably curved up at her touch.

“Argh...that’s exactly what I’m talking about.” Yuri groaned, throwing us a disgusted look. “Thank goodness I’m getting out of here. Here’s my stop, I’ll see you guys tomorrow then, or not.”

“Bye Yul. And you better drag your lazy to school tomorrow, or at least come up with a better excuse.” I told her as she made her way out.

“Sure sure, it depends on my mood.”

Jessica and I were left alone. It was not the peak hours yet so we managed to get seats together after a few stations.

“It’s amazing how Yuri keeps up with her studies despite skipping lessons.” Jessica sighed, settling down in her seat, loosening the tie around her neck. “What’s even more amazing is that she gets away with it.”

“It’s because we’re learning the same thing all over again, it’s not that hard to catch up. Besides, Mr. Choi doesn’t really care about us, as long as we don’t get caught by the discipline master and get him into trouble.” Our hands were still locked together, resting on my lap. “I have to go home today. Some of my notes are at home and dad’s been complaining that he doesn’t see me often enough even though we live together."

“I was about to say the same thing.” Jessica leaned against me. She rested her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes.

We stopped talking for a few minutes. The silence was comfortable. We do not really need any conversations when we were together; having her by my side was enough for me.

“Are you being serious...about the thing with Yuri?”

“You mean the skinship?” She opened an eye to look at me. “Yea, it’s about time we spare her the agony. Stop teasing her, you’re aware that she has low tolerance for greasy stuff. And Taeng, I know that you are only doing it to get back at her for teasing you.”

“Not really, I just can’t get enough of you. The rest doesn’t seem to be affected by us though.”

“Well, you’d better keep your hands and lips to yourself when we're with the gang, or at least in front of Yul.”

“Okay, I’ll try, for the sake of my most reliable buddy who can’t it up.” I nodded.

Jessica’s eyes were closed again and she slowly drifted off to sleep, slumped against me like a corpse as the train jerked along.

 

“Hi Dad, hi Mom.” I greeted as my parents stepped through the door with Hayeon behind.

“Taetae!”

Something came flying towards me and my vision was blocked by it. I found myself being tacked to the ground within seconds with the wind knocked out of me.

“Ompf! Slow down baby girl, you’re getting heavier, I can't hold up your attack.”

Hayeon had jumped on me gleefully as soon as she saw me, happy that I was finally home. She had not seen me in two days and I supposed that she had missed her big sister. I struggled to stand up with Hayeon still hanging on.

While my mum cooked dinner, I hurried to finish off my assignments as I had planned to free up a few hours that night to have some much needed bonding time with my sister. Hayeon had started her first year of elementary school and it would not be long till her innocent childhood would be taken over by exams stress. Time flew by too quickly; since when had the baby grown so much? She had the right to enjoy as much as she can before she gets too busy with homework.

 

“So kiddo, have you thought about my offer?”

Oh no, not again! I knew what my father was going to say next and would be more than happy if he could spare me from that particular conversation.

I was in charge of doing the dishes after dinner that night and my dad had decided to come into the kitchen to talk.

“Dad, I’m not a kid anymore!” I whined. “And secondly, there’s nothing to think about. I’m not going.”

It irritated the hell out of me whenever the subject was brought up. We had been through it a lot of times but that did not stop my father from trying to change my mind with every opportunity he had- which was whenever I was home, always after dinner.

“Taeyeon, that school has a good reputation. You’ll be in good hands. Besides, it’s a subject you’ve always wanted to study, so what’s stopping you? Is it because of Je-”

“It’s not about Jessica.” I finally looked up, having wiped the last plate dry. “I’m doing alright in school now aren’t I? There’s no need for me to change the way things are right now. There’s no decision to be made. I’m not going anywhere.”

I headed out of the kitchen, gesturing for Hayeon to put on her shoes.

“Give it some thoughts, my girl. For all you know, you’re pushing away a good opportunity for you to see the world.”

“I’ll think about it dad if you wish. But it’s not going to change anything.” I took Hayeon’s hand into my own. “I’m bringing her to the playground, we'll be back soon.”

“Consider it again, kid.” My father told me once more as the elevator door shut closed.

“Taetae?”

Hayeon tugged at my shorts. I looked down only to meet a pair of innocent brown eyes staring back at me.

“Are you going somewhere without me?”

I smiled, bending down to pick her up in my arms.

“No, baby girl. Taetae’s not going anywhere without you.”

She flashed me a toothy grin, raising both arms, pumping her fists in the air.

“Ow...stop moving about or I’m going to drop you.” I groaned.

She stopped fidgeting immediately, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck.

“Is Jessica unnie coming? I miss playing with her.”

“Not today, but she’ll be coming over tomorrow. You like that?” Hayeon nodded her head furiously as I put her back down on the ground when the elevator doors opened. “Come, let’s go play.”

I chased Hayeon around the playground, watching on as she came down the slide, squealing.

Honestly, dad’s offer was tempting. But I had everything I wanted here; my family, my friends, my Princess, everyone I care about. I could not just leave behind all that I had; I did not think that I would have the courage to do so.

‘Right, I’m satisfied with the way things are.” I told myself, trying my best to keep up with my sister, who was running ahead of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m really sorry for the slow update; I’ve been getting busier lately. On a side note, as for the watch that was gifted to me a few years back, I haven’t actually worn it except during exams or for special occasions. I can be really protective of my watches, laptops and phones tbh. Weird? Anyways, here’s a new chapter. Hope you enjoyed it and do comment! (: