Chapter 20

Saving a Wreck

Taeyeon’s POV

“Darling, are you done in there? What’s taking you so long?”

“I’m coming out!” I called back, wiping away the tears that had rolled down my cheeks.

Those salty droplets had fallen without my permission and I hated the fact that I had let it happen yet again. Why was I crying? I had no idea. I was reading the text that Jessica sent me earlier in the day when I felt the sudden urge to cry. It reads ‘Darling, I know it’s hard, but let’s preserver. Remember, when the night’s at its darkest, it means that the sun will rise soon. Don’t give up. I’ll be here for you. Meet you after school. I love you.’

The message came in during Math lecture and my eyes started to water. I reminded myself that I was in a lecture hall filled with students and fought back the tears that threatened to fall. Jessica made it a habit to send me encouraging texts every now and then since the start of the year but for some unknown reasons, whenever I read any of it nowadays, my heart pricked and the tear ducts started forming those unwanted tears. It had only worsened as the months passed.

‘I am not depressed am I?’ I frowned at the thought, crying like this was bad for health. ‘No, you’re not, you’re just tired.’ I reassured myself, looking for any reasons to justify it.

I wiped away the last of my tears, erasing any evidence of me crying before flushing the toilet and opening the cubicle door.

“Are you alright?” Jessica asked me, concerned. “Why’s your face so flushed?”

“Constipation, it’s freaking hot in here.” I quickly came up with a random excuse I could think of. “I’m alright, let’s go.”

“Okay, I don’t want to know what you did in there.” She scrunched up her nose and slipped her arm into mine as we made our way towards the gate. “Your training’s in 2 hours’ time right?”

“Yup, do you want to go home first?”

“I’ll wait for you. What do you want for lunch?”

 

A month had passed since our argument. Things were better between us, with me trying my hardest to not look grouchy in school even if I was dead tired. Occasionally, I opened up to her about my feelings, telling her about my day in school, giving my best to keep the end of our bargain. It almost seemed like I was back to normal, like how I was last year except I was not. I had to put on a façade so that Jessica would not start worrying about me all over again.

The seasons had also started; our class had reduced in size considerably for the past few weeks, with students in sports CCA leaving frequently for their respective competition schedules. My buddies came along with Jessica to watch my matches whenever their timetable would allow and I was grateful for their continual support when they could have better spent the time doing productive revisions. Despite the season looking very promising, our coach had not cut back on trainings and we never had the chance to rest our weary muscles, much less keep up with school work. As a result, I had resorted to staying up late almost every night just so I could watch those recorded lectures that were uploaded online.

Jessica never brought up the topic of oversea studies ever since that day at the Go Kart circuit. It suited me for I would prefer to not broach on the subject. However, my dad as usual had been pressing me to rethink of my decision except that he sounded even more desperate than ever as time passed. It felt almost like he was forcing his opinions on me and that he would not stop pestering me till I give in.

That aside, time spent in school was a blur, a lot of things happened within the month such as the annual sports day and the school carnival, on top of Jessica’s birthday in the same month. Before I could take in every single detail and enjoy those ‘school declared break’ from studies, those events flashed by and we were back in the classroom once again. That was when I realized that time passed quickly when one was occupied. In addition, once the seasons were over, we would break off for our month long mid- year holiday, not to mention the exams that followed after it.

I met up with my girlfriend after training all sweaty and bothered. After washing up and changing into a new set of clothes, we then squeezed into the train along with many others who either just ended school or got off from work and were rushing home for dinner.

 

“You’ve got a match tomorrow afternoon right?”

We walked out of the train station hand in hand, only letting go to tap out.

“Yup. Starts at 3. We’ll be playing in school too, home ground.” I turned to her, beaming.

“I might miss the first few minutes though, my last lesson ends at 3.”

“It’s alright. We don’t usually start on time anyway.”

“I’ll be there tomorrow okay? So don’t do anything tonight and just rest. You’ll need to reserve all your energy.”

“Okay. I won’t be going to school with you in the morning, we’ve got the day off.” I kissed her forehead before pulling away to look back at her. “I’ll see you in the afternoon then.”

“I love you Taeng.”

“I love you too. Bye.”

“See you tomorrow.”

 

 

 

I got back home late that day, partly due to training and partly because we had to miss a few trains for they were jam packed. My parents were home before me and dinner was ready.

“Taeyeon-”

“Dad, give it a rest. We’ve been talking about it every night.” I cut him off halfway, knowing what he would say.

“Slow down. I was not going to ask you that.” He raised his chopstick in his defense. “In fact, I won’t be asking you again.”

I cocked an eyebrow. Well, that was unexpected.

“Okay…” I was still suspicious. He had spent every night ranting on and on about how good the school was blahblahblah…and I did not see why he would suddenly stop.

“How’s the competition coming along? When’s the last match?”

That was weird. Since when did he care about the dates?

“Erm…there’s one tomorrow, the semifinals and finals' next week. Why?”

“Just asking. So the season’s ending next week?”

“Yea. I’m done eating. I’ll be in my room.”

I stood up and was about to walk away when he started talking again.

“Good luck for tomorrow.”

“Thanks?”

By then I was already freaking out by my dad’s weird behavior. He had never approved of me playing tennis, not even when I made it to the national youth development team saying that girls should not be playing sports. For years, he had only given me the financial support I needed for playing the sport and had never bothered coming for any of my matches. Therefore, it was strange of him to ask me for the dates. It was not like he would come anyway. However, I was too tired to question any further and retreated back to my room, determined to at least finish off my GP essay before turning in.

 

The spectator’s stand at the tennis court was almost filled the next day as students gathered to watch the match against our rival school in our home ground. Cheers resounded in the air every time we scored a point, but they did clap for the opposing team when they scored one to be courteous. The number of spectators that turned up made me nervous and even more so when I could not spot any of my friends, specifically one person by the name of Jessica Jung, among the first few rows. Deciding that they must have been blocked by the crowd, I turned my attention back to the yellow ball in my hand, shutting everything else out.

*Whack!*

The ball left my palm and I sent it flying over the net, eyes fixated on it, ready to receive it when the opponent hit it back.

The game ended with our school wining and qualifying for the quarter finals. The crowd dissipated after the match and I spotted Jessica, Sunny and Sooyoung at the back waving at me. I smiled at them, gesturing that I would meet them after the coach was done with debrief.

“Nice game Taeng! You totally owned them.” Sunny was grinning widely while Sooyoung gave me a high-five.

“Come here baby.” Jessica held her arms out and I gladly went into her embrace, making sure not to stick too close as I was still sweaty.

She let me go after a few seconds and handed me a towel.

“Are you all going home straight?” I asked.

“We can go for dinner together if you want. It has been a long time since I had eaten with you guys.” Sunny replied.

“Sure, why not. I’ll need a quick shower though. Meet you two at the gate in 10!” I yelled, dashing off to the washroom with Jessica following closely behind.

 

“That was pretty fast Taengoo ah.”

“I’m really hungry. That’s why.” I told her, stuffing my wet towel into my bag.

Jessica wrapped her arms around my waist pulling me nearer to her.

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Nothing. It’s just that you look really cool out there.”

I buried my face into her neck, taking in a deep breath, giving her a tight hug. A familiar and comforting scent wafted up my nostrils. She smelt like the strawberry bathing foam that she usually used, with a hint of her own sweat mixed in it- It was still pleasant nonetheless. I pulled away, swooping in to take her lips, gently on her lower lip and then nibbling on it. She responded by pressing back, biting and pulling on my lips so eagerly that I was sure that they were going to be bruised. She pulled away moments later, panting hard for oxygen. Our foreheads pressed together as we looked into each other's eyes, taking the time to steady our breathing and to calm our hearts.

“Making out in school is always exciting.” I murmured as I planted small kisses down her jaw. “You never know when you’re gonna get caught.”

“I am betting that they’ll send us for a heart to heart talk with Ms. Lee if we ever get caught.” She chuckled, squirming in my embrace.

“Aww...” I groaned. “Not the school counselor again. I had enough of her. I rather they send me for detention.”

My girlfriend patted my hair and untangled herself from me, picking up my backpack by the sink.

“Let’s go darling, they’re waiting for us to eat.” She laughed upon seeing the pout on my face, pulling on my arm and dragging me out with her.

 

                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The season ended without a hitch. No players suffered any major injuries aside from a few bruises and cuts though it did left us drained with muscles aching everywhere. It was satisfying nonetheless for we managed to retain our first runner up tile for the third year running, guys and girls alike. Qualifying for the finals for any sports was a big deal for our school, regardless of the results. Our student counselors came full force to support us, drums and all. Even the orange tiger mascot was dug out from the dusty basement storage room.

The school that we played against in the finals was just too strong. Having most of their players in the national youth squad, they were almost unbeatable. Despite the outcome of the match being predictable, we pressed on and fought back. We did not really lose that day, not spiritually.

I had only realized how loud the screaming and applause were from the supporters, when the trophies were given out and the season was declared closed. It was as if the noise in the background was suddenly turned back up, the reality of it all suddenly came crashing down on me.

Like how everything has a start, there is always an end. Another chapter of my college life had officially come to a close- I would be stepping down from the team along with those from my previous batch. It was the last season I played for the school and I was glad that it had ended the way I wanted it to.

“Are you sad?”

I looked up to see Jessica standing in front of me, holding out a bottle of water that she went to get for me a few minutes ago. I took it from her and she sat down next to me. The court was nearly empty by then. Many of the supporters had left after the award ceremony, though there were still a few players lingering around with their friends.

“Not really, empty more like. It feels like I’m leaving a part of me behind.” I unscrewed the bottle cap, downing the liquid in large gulps. “It’ll take some time to get used to not going for trainings anymore.”

One of my friends from my national youth development days was heading in our direction. I waved to her and she acknowledged me with a smile.

The sky was starting to darken and I figured it was probably time to head home. I offered my hand to Jessica and pulled her up, swinging our hands into the air as we made our way out. Taking one last glance over my shoulder at the now empty court, I sighed. ‘I’m going to miss playing competitively.’

“Tomorrow’s a Saturday.” I pointed it out to my girlfriend, not that she needed the reminder in the first place.

“I know. Why? Are you going to take me out for a date?”

“Dad was asking when you’re coming over for dinner. I don’t know. I’ve been getting strange vibes from him lately.”

“You’re overthinking again Taengoo ah. It’s probably nothing.” Jessica squeezed my hand, flashing me the smile which never fail to make my inside all fuzzy. “But do tell him that I’ll come over for dinner. I haven’t been to your house for quite a while.”

“Okay then.” I answered, using my free hand to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. “I wonder what’s dad up to. He has been giving me a lot of attention these days, too much in fact. He never showed me that much concern before. Hayeon’s always his baby girl.”

“Why are you jealous? You’re my baby.” She said, making me grin automatically though it did not make the uneasiness go away. “He cares for you all the time, it just wasn’t that obvious. So stop mulling over it Taeng.”

She was right, it was probably nothing. I had nothing to lose with all the attention that dad was showering me with- it was not a bad thing was it?

*Honk honk*

Just as we walked out from the car park, a familiar black car parked at the side caught our attention.

“Oh my god. Dad?”

‘What was he doing here? Wasn’t he supposed to pick up mum and Hayeon?’

While I stood frozen on the spot, blinking my eyes to make sure I was not seeing things. Dad winded down the window on the driver’s side, flashing us a huge smile.

“What are the both of you doing standing there?” He motioned for us to get into the car, still smiling.

“I thought he stopped fetching me home since 5 years ago.” I whispered.

“Taeng.” Jessica nudged my side warningly. “Stop being a baby, just get into the car.”

She opened the door at the passenger side and waited for me to get in, before settling down at the backseat herself.

“Hi dad.” She greeted my father cheerfully. My parents had insisted on her calling them ‘dad’ and ‘mum’ like I do.

“Jessica?” He called, looking back at her through the rear view mirror. “Will you be having dinner at home today?”

“I don’t think so. My parents are working late today. Besides, Krystal’s eating out with her friends.”

Dad had his eyes fixed on the road. He had one arm resting on the arm rest while the other hand was on the steering wheel, tapping on it.

“How about you join us for dinner? I’m sure my wife cooked extra.”

Needless to say, Jessica accepted the offer. Fatigue soon took over me and I dozed off to the low purr of the car engine sounding in the background.

 

Jessica’s POV

It was so like Taengoo to freak out from such a small thing. She had never adapted well to abrupt changes. She was feeling insecure all over again- just because her father started to fuss over her.

I went home with Taengoo for dinner and like her dad said, her mum did cook a lot and there were still some left overs which she wrapped up and store them away in the fridge for tomorrow. Taeyeon was sprawled out on the sofa in the living room watching cartoon with Hayeon sitting on her stomach when I came out from the kitchen after helping out with the dishes. Hayeon giggled when she saw me, stretching out her arms for me to pick her up. I struggled to lift her up but managed it in the end. Taengoo let out a contented sigh once the weight was lifted off and rubbed the spot where her sister had previously planted herself. Just then, Taeyeon’s father walked into the living room, beckoning us to follow him.

“You two, follow me to the study room. Hayeon will be fine by herself for now.”

Taeyeon look at her father confused, but did not say anything. I put Hayeon back down, promising her that I would help her with her homework later when her favorite cartoon finished airing. Taengoo tugged on my little finger impatiently while I coaxed her little sister, prompting me to hurry up. We eventually made our way into the study. Dad was sitting in his arm chair waiting for us. A purple plastic folder placed in front of him stood out among all his other stuff on his seemingly neat table. He waved for us to take a seat and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Taeng eyeing the purple folder warily; apparently I was not the only one who noticed it.

“Why do you want us in the study dad? Is there anything you want to tell us?” Taeyeon asked, pulling her chair in.

Her father had a serious expression on his face, fingers crossed in front of him as he inspected us. It made me wonder if we had done anything wrong. My mind went into overdrive thinking back of the past few hours; trying to search for any incidents that we might have crossed the line.

Before I could ask if anything was wrong, Taeyeon’s dad pushed the purple folder right before Taeyeon. Carefully, Taengoo picked it up, sliding the papers out from it and flipped them through. I watched as the colors drained from her face.

“It’s not a choice this time kid. It’s final. You’re going no matter what.” Her father informed her.

‘Not a choice? You’re going? It can’t be…’

“I’m sending you to the UK and you have no say on it. You’re going to share an apartment with Tiffany. The necessary arrangements had been made, school’s starting in September, and you’re leaving by the end of August. Case closed.” He continued, leaning forward in his chair.

Taeyeon’s eyes never left her father’s as she took in the sudden information thrown at her, there was not a hint of rebellion in them. In fact they were void of any emotions and if she did feel anything upon hearing the news, she had kept herself in check.

“I’m only giving you a week to get the withdrawal form from school and if you don’t bring it back to me by this Friday, I’m heading straight down to the general office next Monday to sign it in person. You hear me?” His eyes pierced through hers, making sure that she had gotten his point.

Taeyeon said nothing as she stood up lifelessly from her chair, putting the contents back into the folder. She left it on the table before turning around, heading towards the door.

“Taeyeon.” Her dad called her just as she was about to reach for the door knob. She froze upon hearing her name but did not turn back.

Dad’s gaze flickered from Taeyeon’s back to me. Feeling his eyes on me, I tore my gaze from my girlfriend’s back as well to meet his.

“I’m sorry.” He said.

By then, I was no longer sure who he was talking to. The apology might be meant for his daughter or for me; for both of us, maybe. I could see sadness emitting from those usually sparkly orbs that Taengoo had inherited from.

“I just wanted the best for you.”

I heard the door clicked open and Taeyeon left the room, closing the door after her. I was left alone with her dad in the study. It felt like the temperature in the room had suddenly dropped after Taeyeon was gone. I had half a mind to follow after her, but I stayed in my seat, knowing that dad was still not done talking with me. He had called me into the room along with Taeyeon after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s been awhile, but I’m back! It has been really hectic these days and those trips I have to make downtown during the weekends took up a lot of my time. Frankly, I was almost done with the chapter weeks ago but I sort of procrastinated. I don’t really have the time to check for any mistakes so I’m going to leave it as it is for now and edit it later. Before any of you get confused, Jessica refers to Taeyeon’s parents as dad and mum while she calls her own parents daddy and mummy. (: Hope you enjoy the chapter and happy CNY to those who celebrate it. (You’ve still got 2 days left before the festive season ends so collect as many red packets as you can! LOL)