Chapter 21

Saving a Wreck

Jessica’s POV

Taeyeon was lying on the cold hard ground with an arm under her neck for support and staring up at the night sky when I found her. I did not have to search high and low for her; I just knew that she would be there. The condo's club house was where Taeng would seek refuge in whenever she needed time alone, whenever it was too late for her to be at her all-time favorite location- the Go Kart circuit. It was no surprise why she chose the club house of all places; it was deserted most of the time. No one would actually bother climbing 2 flights of stairs up to the open area which provided no protection from the scorching hot sun in the day and no shelter if it was to rain. Besides, residents usually book the air conditioned function rooms or the BBQ pits to hold their events/parties.

“What are you looking at?” I asked, taking a seat on her left.

“Stars.” She spread her arm out and I laid down on it, using it as a pillow.

“The city’s too bright. You can’t really see the starts.” I shifted around, resting my head on her chest, listening to her heart beat as my left hand rested on her stomach, fingers playing with the material of her shirt.

“It doesn’t mean they’re not there.” Taeyeon planted a kiss on the crown of my head. I felt her lips brushing against my scalp as she spoke, her warm breath sending shivers down my spine. “If you look close enough, you’ll still see some.”

I snuggled closer against her as she tightened her grip on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered after a few seconds of silence.

“Don’t. It’s nobody’s fault.”

“But what if I tell you that I’d actually wanted to go? Will you hate me?” Taengoo asked me.

I took a moment to ponder over how I would answer her question.

“It would be a lie if I say no, Taeng...But that was a month ago.”

I had started drawing random patterns on her stomach, tracing the faint lines of her abs that could be felt through the fabric. It must have tickled her for she squirmed, putting her right hand over mine, trapping it.

“Why? You don’t want me anymore?” She asked, sounding hurt.

Instead, of replying her, I flipped her hand over so that her palm was facing upwards and started tracing the words ‘I love you’ on it. For the fun of it, I drew a heart shape afterwards to make sure that my message was delivered.

“Then why are you letting me go?” She questioned.

I brought her hand up to kiss it before bringing it back down to my chest, pressing it down on the spot where she could feel my heart thumping.

“It doesn’t matter where you go. I’m certain that this heart will still beat for you. I’ve been thinking about it since that day at the circuit...” I started playing with her fingers, tilting my head up a little, fixing my gaze on her chin. “And if you have to go, I’ll come to you...I’ll do anything for you baby.”

“What did I ever do to deserve you, Princess? You could have sentenced me to a lifetime of imprisonment and leave me to rot by myself. I’ll gladly accept any punishment from you for leaving.”

“And why should I?” I smiled. “You are the bestest gift sent to me from whoever’s up there.”

I heard her sigh a little. Her hand left my grasp and I let her run her fingers through my hair, mindlessly it.

“I had intended to go only after the A levels next year. I’m sorry it turned out this way.”

“What difference will it then make?” I pushed myself up so that I could look at her. “You’re still going to leave.”

“A whole lot of difference it makes. I get to finish what I’d set of to do in the first place, I don’t like to leave things hanging halfway. It will be different.”

“I thought you hated the school?” I was always under the impression that she would have the school burnt down to the ground if such a thing was legal.

“Not as much as I thought. You have no idea how excited I was when the posting results came out then. Besides, it’s where I met you.”

Taeng smiled as she reminisced the past, pinching my nose. I scrunched my nose up and shook my head, wincing.

“It just feels incomplete that I don’t get to finish my A levels here, I don't like leaving things hanging. But you know how dad is. He’s not going to change his mind.” She continued. “And I will always wonder how it will feel like to graduate here.”

In all honesty, I had half expected her to throw a fit from the way she had walked out of the study earlier on. But then again, Taeyeon had always been different from others.

 

Flashback

Taeyeon had left the room without saying a word. I did not know what to say to dad. Was I expected to say something in the first place? How was I supposed to feel about this? Everything was so sudden, it came without a warning. 

“Jessica, you’re not mad at me are you? I know this is a very sudden decision but I have had intentions to send her overseas together with Tiffany back then. That stubborn girl had insisted on going to a Junior College instead.”

“I’m not mad at you, dad. How can I be?” I stared down at my lap, not knowing how to respond.

It wasn’t like I could scream and beg for him not to send Taeyeon halfway across the globe. Who was I to tell him that.

“Besides, I was sort of prepared for a day like this.”  

There was silence once again as he studied me closely.

“I’m sorry if I had to tear the both of you apart, I didn’t mean for it to happen.” He said after a while. “In fact, I was glad that Tae has got you. You changed her. She is a lot happier with you. But…” I finally gathered up enough courage to look up at him. Dad seemed to have age a lot in a short span of time, the wrinkles on his forehead were more pronounced as he frowned. “Since that kid couldn’t make up her mind about what she wants, I’ll have to make the decision for her.” He broke our eye contact and closed his eyes, rubbing his temples. “I don’t like seeing her all stressed up, and depressed. It would be better if she starts all over again, new environment, new people, you know…on a fresh page.”

He took a deep breath before opening his eyes to look at me again.

“You’ll understand my decision won’t you? Don’t blame Taeyeon for leaving, blame me if you must.”

“Dad-”

“Stay by Taeyeon. Wait for her if you really love her…if that is not too much to ask from you.”

“Dad, it’s not your fault. I understand you decision. And I’ll promise to stay by her for as long as I can, for as long as we still feel the same for each other.”

“Thank you Jessica. Thank you for being so understanding. And I hope you’ll forgive this old man who just wants the best for his children.”

I stood up and rounded the table, bending down to give him a hug, trying my hardest to not let the tears flow.

“I’m sure Taeng will understand your intentions dad.” I reassured him. “She’s lucky to have someone like you as her father.”

I had been dreading for this day to come ever since last year but if the change in her study environment would make Taeng a happier person, I did not see why I should be the one holding her back.

I came out of the study moments after with the intention of finding Taeng and telling her that everything will be okay. I was rather sure that she was upset and would refused to follow her father wishes to the extent that I was prepared to help dad talk some sense into her.

“Are you going to help me with my homework now?” Hayeon asked me innocently as I walked back into the living room.

“Maybe later, sweetie. I need to find your sister first.” I told her, caressing her cheek.

“That kid walked out just now.” Mom looked at me apologetically. “I’m sorry Jessica, about everything.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m sorry if I was holding her back.”

“Bring her back safely will you? She’s not answering her calls.” Mom held up her phone.

I nodded.

“Don’t worry. I think I know where she’ll be. I’ll talk to her.”

“Thank you.” She said as I gave her a hug.

“Be back soon! You promised to help me.” Hayeon reminded me cheerfully as I put on my shoes, ready to leave. 

“Sure.” I smiled at her warmly before heading out.

 

Back to present

“Seems like your parents were wrong about you. In fact we’re all wrong about you, Taeng. You are tougher than we thought.” I leaned down to peck her once on the lips. “See…who says your dad only cares about your sister? He loves you too. He doesn’t want you to get hurt. Your parents pamper you too much, you spoilt brat.” I , pinching the tip of her nose.

“Maybe you should stop pampering me then, before I start taking things for granted.” She rebutted, but her smile faded soon after and she looked back at me somberly. “Promise you’ll come find me?”

“I’ll do anything I can to go after you. But if I can’t convince my parents, I promise I’ll wait for you.”

“You know you’re freaking calm for someone whose girlfriend is leaving.” Taeyeon pouted and I gave her another peck on the lips.

“And you’re pretty damn calm for someone who is going away…no wait, you have Tiffany, so you probably won’t even miss me.”

Taeyeon wrapped her arms around my waist tightly and pulled me on top of her. She then cupped my face with her right hand, fingers running along my jaw down to my neck.

“Heck, I’m going to miss you like hell…and I’m scared. I’ll be all alone. What if I don’t fit in?” She confessed.

I rested my head on the crook of her neck and nuzzled my nose against her. I had almost snorted at her if she had not sounded so genuinely concerned.

“You’ll be fine darling...because you’re Kim Taeyeon. And I trust you.”

She chuckled, sending vibrations into my ear, tickling me and I pushed myself off, lying down beside her again.

“Hey, does that mean I can stop studying for midyears now?” She asked jokingly.

“You wish. You’ll be my study partner from now on. Make sure I memorize all my facts perfectly or I’ll have to say bye bye to a potential overseas scholarship.”

“Okay.” She replied enthusiastically. “Throw me all your books.”

We stayed that way for a while longer before I reminded her that it was late and that we should really head back soon before her parents started worrying. She had gotten a little too comfortable in her position that I had just a tinsy winsy problem in trying to wake her up. Taeyeon must have been really tired from the match and all those sleepless nights. It was scary how so much can change in a day. Just a few hours ago Taeng helped the school won a trophy. Despite it being her last contribution to the tennis team, who would have thought that it would be the last responsibility for her as a student of the school- as Taengoo liked to put it, she was a free person now, literally.

Mom and dad were still up when we got back, probably to make sure that we had gotten home safely while Hayeon was snugly tugged into bed. As much as I hated to admit it, I had broken my promise with Hayeon on helping out with her homework, though it was not intentional. I figured I would apologize to her first thing tomorrow morning and I shuddered to think of how long the poor little girl had stayed up waiting for me to return with her sister that was my girlfriend. I was sure that it had taken a lot to convince her to turn in for the night as hardheadedness seemed to be a trait that runs in the family.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

Trying to change dad’s mind to let me stay would be impossible. It was a failed mission even before a plan could be put in place. However I did manage to negotiate with him, to which he grudgingly agreed- I was allowed to continue to attend school till the mid- years were over. The withdrawal form which I had taken on Monday morning required us to fill in the date for the last day of school and I conveniently wrote ‘31/07/13’. (The General Office was the first place I visited when I reached school and I had absolutely no idea why Jessica was so eager for me to get that sheet of paper from the staff) At least I would be kept busy before I got whisked off to Tiffany’s against my will. And although it was not voiced out, I had a feeling that possessive Sica wasn’t very pleased with the idea of me sharing an apartment alone with Fany despite knowing that said girl was already attached.

Submitting the form was one thing but informing my friends was another. I had decided that it was time to let them know on Wednesday, after I was done with filling in the necessary forms. It did not help when Jessica just sat at her corner, absorbed in her own little world while I was bombarded with loads of questions that came all at the same time.

“Why so sudden? When are you leaving? Can you not go?”

“Are you for real? Who’s going to help me out with Chemistry if you leave?”

“Do you really have to? Can’t that wait till next year?”

“Does that mean you won’t have to study for the mid-years anymore? When are you coming back?”

“When was it decided? You didn’t say anything about this at all.”

Questions after questions came flooding in, swarming my head. Their voices were all jumbled up into one and I had no idea who was talking. I turned to Jessica hoping that she would help but she was not even looking our way.

“Whoa…wow. Stop, just give me a sec to breathe…too many questions.” I put my hands up, trying to get them to stop talking.

That hushed them up but I definitely had all their attention. I looked around and noticed that the small commotion my friends made earlier had attracted the attention of several other students in the study area, who went back to doing their own stuff after a while.

“Wait, so when are you leaving? August?” Sooyoung asked.

“I thought she said September?” Sunny said, twirling her pen.

“Really? I heard July.” Yoona frowned.

That started off an argument with them debating on who was right and who was wrong.

“I’m leaving school after July.” I cut in before the buzz could escalate any further.

“See, I told y-”

“But I'm flying by the end of August. The semester starts in September.” I quickly added in before they could start squabbling again. “And I’m gonna finish my A levels there, just changing a few subjects. I managed to get into the 3 term program.”

“Now I feel so betrayed, Tae. Not only are you leaving us behind in this and if I did the calculation correctly…” Yuri eyes drifted upwards as she folded her fingers, doing a quick mental calculation. “You’re going to graduate earlier than us! That’s not fair!”

“Hey, I wasn’t the one who made the decision.”

“But it wasn’t as if you didn’t want it to happen! When are you coming back?”

“I'll be back in June next year, I think”

Yoona glanced over at my girlfriend who had been keeping quiet all these while.

“And she’s okay with it?” She asked, raising her chin in Jessica’s direction.

I shook my head and gave Yoona a shrug.

“Tell me you’re gonna miss us Taeng, or we’ll make you miss your flight on purpose. Maybe your father will get so pissed off and decide that it’s better for you stay.” Sooyoung intervened playfully, thoughtfully trying to divert the topic from Jessica, who currently had her head down on the table.

“Sheesh! There's still like 3 months before I officially end my last day of school here. Are you trying to chase me away?” I rebutted halfheartedly, stealing glances at my Princess.

“Oh well. Make sure you visit us Taeng, we’re so going to miss you~” At times like this, Sunny's agyeo came out naturally, making everyone around the table cringe.

But before anyone could complain, the bell for the next period went off and since all of us had a class, aside from Jessica, we hurried to pack away the scattered notes, while she stayed unmoving in her position. She did not even look up when I stood up, preparing to leave.

“Tae, leave Jess alone, she still have an hour before her next lecture.” Yuri called while the others went ahead. “Or you can skip tutorial since you don’t really have to attend.” She added jokingly.

However, I was really worried about her from the way she was acting a while ago.

‘And she’s okay with it?’ For some reasons, Yoona words keep echoing in my head and I couldn’t seem to get it out.

Was she really ok?

“I’ll catch up with you guys later. I’m just going to make sure that she’s alright.”

“Okay, don’t be too late.” Yuri replied, leaving us with some alone time.

I placed my bag back down on the table, and knelt down beside Jessica.

“Baby?” I placed a hand on her shoulder, shaking her gently. “Are you alright?”

All I got in response was a slight shifting in her position but her head remained down with her arms folded around it in a way that blocked her face from me.

“Darling?” I called again.

“Don’t you have lessons now?” Her words came out muffled, but something was definitely wrong when I heard her sniffed.

“Hey, are you crying?” I started panicking and stood up, sliding into the space beside her on the bench.

“No. Just go for your class, Taeng.” Jessica turned her head away from me, still not looking up.

“What’s wrong? Come on Princess, talk to me.” I tugged on her arm, trying to pry them away. “I’m not leaving you like this.”

“I’ll be fine Taeng, just leave me alone.”

More sniffles escape from her as her shoulders shook slightly.

Dang! I should have known that something was wrong when she helped me with those admin matters so enthusiastically for the past 3 days.

“Baby, I'm not leaving till you talk to me.” I told her firmly.

 

TBC~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’ve reread and edited this chapter many times (though I'm sure grammar mistakes are still everywhere) but for some reasons I still feel that something’s missing. Oh well…it has taken me long enough to write this. Uni’s having hols now so I’ll try my best to upload new chapters more frequently. No promise though, I’m back at home spending loads of time with my family!

Thank you to those who subscribed and to those who commented. It really means a lot. Hope you enjoy reading. Till the next time~ (: