Chapter 16

Saving a Wreck

Taeyeon’s POV

The weekend passed with no news of Jessica. I had cooled down since then; sleeping did the trick and had realized that I had been a . No matter how tired and irritated I was, it was still wrong of me to raise my voice at Jessica. Truth to be told, she had not done anything wrong and I was as usual, avoiding things that I did not like. The lack of sleep resulted in an overreaction, eventually leading to the outburst. Damn, I had hurt Jessica when I had sworn to protect her.

I had wanted to text Jessica on Sunday numerous times, typing and deleting the message over and over again but I could not find a better way to put across my feelings. A simple ‘I’m sorry’ did not seem sufficient enough to justify my actions and I could even imagine myself getting kicked out of her house again if I were to go over. I had tried calling her once but being the coward that I was, I ended the call before the phone could ring the second time. What if she rejected it?

Knowing that I had screwed up badly, I decided to give her some time to cool down. I would apologize to her in person and beg her to forgive me when we get back to school. I had always believed that an apology in person would sound more sincere than through text messages anyway.

 

"Nice bag you've got there. Who got it for you?" Yuri joked as she made her way towards the class.

"Morning, Yul." I greeted her.

"How's it with Jessica? Have you two made up?"

"I'm screwed. I don't even know if she'll forgive me." I told her honestly.

"What have you done man? I don't know what happen so I'm not gonna comment, but Jessi will come around. She loves you too much for her own good."

"I know. I don't really deserve her, do I?"

"Come on, cheer up! Don't be such a pooper. You can't be thinking of asking her for a break up again right?"

"Sooyoung's not coming, she said something about indigestion" I changed the topic, shifting the talk away from Jessica.

"No surprise. She eats just about anything. Don't change the topic, Taeng. I know what you're doing."

I was so busted.

"I'm not. Not unless she wants to."

"You sure think negatively. Every couple fight, you're gonna survive, don't worry."

Morning assembly started then, effectively putting an end to our conversation.

 

Jessica and I had a common break that day but no matter where I look, she was nowhere to be found. Where had she gone? It was frustrating to search everywhere and yet not find her. Was this how she had felt when I avoided her last year?

There was still 10 minutes left before the next class start and I was still searching. Lunch and homework can wait; I really needed to talk to her, to make up for my mistake. That was when I spotted her coming from the opposite direction, together with another girl whom I recognized was from her class. Our eyes met briefly, but she looked away, her face hardened.

"Jess?" I called out uncertainly, being careful.

She might still be mad at me for all I know.

Without sparing me a glance, she walked pass me like I was invisible. Her friend gave me a smile, to which I returned halfheartedly. My shoulders slumped. It would not be easy getting her to forgive me.

 

Jessica's POV

I was making my way to my next class when I spotted Taeyeon standing by the lockers.

"What's wrong? Why did you stop walking?" Clarice asked.

I was debating with myself if I should turn and take a detour to class.

Why was I afraid to see her? It wasn't as if I was the one in the wrong. She was the one who started our fight and it was not like I had asked for it to happen. That’s right, I’m not guilty.

I straightened my back and started walking again.

"Nothing. Let's go."

Taeyeon turned around and our eyes met for a second. I turned my head away indignantly, ignoring her. I heard her called out to me but I pretended that I could not hear, walking pass her like she was a part of the wall.

"You two fought?"

"She was being an idiot."

"Oh..."

"So let's not talk about her."

"Okay. Are you sure you don't want to go home? You look very pale."

"I'm fine. We need to hurry or the lecturer's going to lock us out."

 

School ended early for me but I did not want to stay behind to study like I had always done. Taeyeon's class would end in the late afternoon but I know for sure that she would be looking around for me in between breaks. And I was not ready to face her yet, afraid that I would forgive her so soon.

I met Sunny on the way out and it turned out that she was going to the public library nearby to study so I decided to follow her.

"You're still not talking to her? Taeyeon?"

I shook my head in response.

"Well, she looked glum."

"That's her default face."

"Why did you fight anyway?"

"She was an and started yelling at me for no reason. I got angry and kicked her out of my room, literally."

Sunny laughed.

"Wow. That must have hurt her ego."

"It should. I don't care, serves her right. She can be really stubborn sometimes."

"Jessi, are you sick? Why are you sweating when we're in an air-conditioned room?" Sunny raised her hand to feel my forehead. "You're burning. What are you doing here? Speaking of being stubborn, you are just as stubborn as Taeyeon."

"I'm fi-"

"No, you're not fine. You're starting to speak like her too. Go on, go home and rest. Don't come to school tomorrow if you're still sick!" She interrupted me, helping me keep my notes back into my bag. “Why did you even come to school in the first place?”

"Okay, stop nagging. I'll get going then."

"Take care of yourself. We're having class tests these two weeks."

"Yea, I know. All of my class tests are packed together next week, it's alright. I’ve still got time to study.”

“Do you need me to call Taeng so she could you home?”

“No!” I hissed a bit too loudly, getting the attention from people around us.

“Hush! Calm down Jess” Sunny bowed to them, apologizing on my behalf.

“Don’t call her please. I don’t want to see her. Anything but that, why would she even care?

“She cares for you alright. Taeng might have acted on impulse, I’m sure she didn’t mean it. You know how she is. I haven’t seen her flare up before.”

“But she did. She yelled at me.” I insisted.

It was true that we had never seen Taeyeon lose her temper before. But had she became so comfortable with me that she could do whatever she want?

“Alright, alright. Chill. But how am I going to know if you get back home safely? With your condition, you might just faint on the way home.”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll text you if it makes you happy.”

“You better.

"Bye, Sunny. And don’t call that idiot!”

Sunny giggled and I glared at her, making sure she had gotten my message.

“I won’t. I promise. Bye bye Jess, feel better soon.”

“Bye.”

 

Taeyeon's POV

Jessica left school as soon as her class ended, Yuri told me. How she knows, I have got no idea. I tried calling Jessica's phone after school ended but it was switched off.

Was she this mad at me? Should I go over to her house? Would she even be home? What should I do? Gah, what have I done?

"Sica? Could you please pick up your phone? I'm really sorry, I was an . Please? We need to talk. Call me back?" Once again, I was directed to her voice mail and I left her a message, hoping that she would hear it.

I tried to concentrate on doing my homework which included a Math assignment that was due the next day. However, I was fidgety the whole night, stealing glances at my phone every few minutes, waiting for a phone call which never came. Having done whatever that was due the next day, I decided to call it a night. There was no use in trying to complete all the assignments, given that my heart was obviously not into it. Jessica was right, so was everyone else. I have changed, even without myself knowing. I was so focused on giving my all to prove that I was not a loser, completely neglecting everything that meant the most to me.

Thinking back, I had spent lesser time with my family, especially my little sister, having pushed her aside when she had wanted to play with me. I was with my friends in school physically, but not mentally, too exhausted to participate fully in any of their conversations. Even thought I had spent more time with Jessica, more than half of it was spent on school work. Either that or I was sleeping and the last time we had actually gone out on a real date was more than a month ago. Everyone had been walking on their toes around me. It had only been a little more than 3 months into the start of a new year but yet a lot had changed.

Here I was, only realizing it after getting into that argument with Jessica when there wasn't anything to quarrel about in the first place. If I had gone back in and apologize to her straight away, things would not have come to this state. No, it would not even have happen if I had actually put my pride aside and listen to what she had to say first.

 

I woke up earlier the next day hoping that I could catch Jessica on the way to school. However, time pass and still no sign of Jessica at the train platform. Either she had woken up way early than I had or she had managed to slip past me unnoticed. I would be late if I continued waiting. Left with no choice, I boarded the train for school. Sooyoung was still absent the next day and Yuri had wanted me to inform our home room teacher that she would not be in school. She had given diarrhea as her reason but I doubted the validity of her excuse. Yuri had always given the same excuse whenever she woke up late and decided that she wanted to skip school. She should come up with something new, for it was getting obvious. Our teacher had a skeptical look on his face but chose to overlook it. I was lucky Yoona came or I would be lonely in class for the whole day, given that I do not really mix with the rest.

 

"Sunny told me your girlfriend's sick." Yoona informed me.

"Since when? Why didn't she tell me?"

"I just happen to bump into her along the corridor and you were in the toilet. According to her, Sica came down with a fever yesterday and she's at home resting."

“Is she in school today?” I asked, worried.

“I don’t think so, haven’t seen her anywhere.”

"Okay, I think I'll drop by her house after school, even if it means getting kick in the again."

"What do you mean?"

"You don't really have to know. By the way, is Yuri awake yet? She’s not replying my text. Since she's at home, maybe she could e-mail us the slides that we are supposed to present during Econs tutorial."

"I don't know. I can try calling her. Or we could just tell the teacher that the slides are not with us and Yuri's not in school." Yoona batted her eyelids at me, hoping that I would go with the second option.

"Sounds cool. Honestly, I'm still not prepared to present it. Not without Yuri and Sooyoung. I'll probably tremble and turn red."

"You do that all the time, prepared or not." She mocked.

Since it was true, I could not say anything about it and pouted. Luckily for us, the teacher had let us off that day, but we still had to present it in the next lesson. I really hoped that he would forget about it by then and spare me the torture of speaking in front of the class.

 

I was standing outside Jessica's home debating if I should ring the doorbell. On one hand, I was worried and wanted to check for myself that she was okay. On the other hand, I was afraid of what she would do to me. An angry Jessica was not someone to be messed with and I have experienced it firsthand. I had never known that a seemingly week Jessica would possess so much strength that the kick she gave me had left its mark.

Whatever. I would still have to see her sooner or later and I was the one who had begged her to call me after all. I was glad Krystal was home and she opened the door for me. If Jessica was home alone, I doubt I would have made it pass the main door, assuming that she was still mad at me.

"Hi, Taeyeon unnie. Jessica's sleeping in her room if you're looking for her."

"Thanks Krys."

"Are you two still fighting?" She looked troubled.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to yell again. I'm sorry you had to hear everything."

She nodded. I patted her head and made my way up the stairs to Jessica's room.

I opened the door slightly, peeking in. Jessica was wrapped under the blanket, looking very much like a cocoon. If she was not sick, I would have found her really adorable. I slipped into her room and closed the door behind me, putting my bag down on the ground. Slowly, I made my way towards her, careful to not make any noise and wake her up. Dropping onto my knees by her bedside, I placed my palm on her forehead gingerly, feeling her temperature. She was hot, as in burning and was shivering in her sleep. I let my fingers trailed down her cheek bone, tucking a few strands of hair, plastered on her face by her sweat, behind her ears. My thumb lightly grazed her pale lips, wishing that I could kiss her fever away.

Standing up abruptly, I rummaged through her drawer as quietly as I could, searching for a towel. Having found one, I went to the bathroom and wet it with cold water. I folded it up nicely, gently placing it down on her forehead.

Jessica stirred as the wet cloth came into contact with her skin. I stood rooted in my spot.

Slowly, her eyes opened, blinking a few times. I knelt down so that I was at eye level with her.

"Hi." I whispered.

"Taengoo?" Her voice cracked, thick with sleep.

"Yea, I'm here." My heart stopped beating for a moment.

How would she react to my presence?

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I-"

"Go away. I don't want to see you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 Corinthians 13:4-7. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres

It is the only part of the bible that I remembered out of all the scripture readings that the school gave. LOL. Random…but yea, Taengoo really need to learn how to deflate her ego and takes things in her stride. Haha...I've wanted to write more, but I’ll leave it for the next chapter (: It would be Taeng’s turn to be patient with Jessica. Stay tune, enjoy reading and do comment! (: