Chapter 12

Saving a Wreck

Jessica’s POV

I woke up abruptly having felt someone kicked me hard in the stomach.

“Gimme my jellies!”

I looked over at Taeyeon; roughly able to make out her sleeping form in the dark. We had fallen asleep with her in my embrace but somehow in the middle of the night, she had untangled herself from me.

“Don’t take my jellies!” she was waving her hand in the air, her action somewhat resembled her hitting an imaginary person.

“Tippany please, give them back!”

Tiffany? In her dreams?

How dare her!

I was wide awake by then infuriated by what I had heard. The digital clock on my phone showed that it was 4.50am.

“Pany ah…”

Great, time for my revenge. I would not go easy on her.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

“You’re not keeping up with the pace Darling, you are going to fall off if you don’t keep up.” Jessica drawled her voice all too sweet for my liking.

“Can we…huff…stop this…huff…I think…huff…I’m dying…” My lungs expanded, welcoming the oxygen that rushed in.

It was not enough, I needed more air.

“I would save my breath if I am you.” She batted her eyelids.

I glared at her, mouth agape, desperately trying to get air to fill up my lungs. Now, I know what she meant by killing me.

“Don’t give me that look, baby. It’s not going to change my mind. Come on! You’ve still got 2km to go.”

She was standing in front of me, head resting on the treadmill, watching on as I struggled to keep up with the speed. If only I knew that her punishment would be this torturous, I would have been more careful yesterday night.

Jessica was not the type to wake up early during the holidays, but for some unknown reasons, my sleepy head girlfriend managed to get up at an ungodly hour even without the help of an alarm. She had forcefully woke me up from deep slumber by kicking me off the bed unceremoniously, making me fall face first onto the cold hard wooden floor. My nose was still hurting from the impact.

“Baby, you are getting way too out of shape. How are you going to keep with your tennis training at this rate? And it is starting soon.” She looked on as the treadmill slowed to a stop, shaking her head in disapproval.

That coming from someone who does not even run at all, claiming that she would melt.

I collapsed on the ground panting hard for air, drenched from head to toe in my own sweat. It would be an unglamorous sight to see if any residents were to enter the condo’s gym at that moment. But then again, I reminded myself, no one in their right mind would be awake and going to the gym at 5.30 in the morning. I had just completed a 4km run after months of not running in just 30 minutes and my thigh muscles were burning from the built up of excess lactic acid in them. I was so sure I would not be able to walk afterwards.

“You are so cruel, are you sure you’re a Princess?”

My breathing had slowed down considerably but I still had not found the strength to sit up.

She sniggered at my words, taking a seat beside me.

“Which was why I went lenient on you, I could have made you run a 32km marathon. Which would you prefer?”

If she put it that way, then maybe 4km was not that bad after all. She had given me an 87.5% discount.

“Come on, Darling. Let’s get you home for a nice hot shower before we go for breakfast. You smell like a wet dog.” She said, scrunching up her nose.

She stood up and looked down at me. Seeing that I showed no signs of moving at all, she bent down to grab my wrists, pulling me up with a grunt.

My legs could barely support my weight, wobbling at every step that I took.

Remind me not to mess with a jelly Princess next time. It does not matter how much I love jellies, they are just not the same.

 

--

 

“Yo, Taeng! Why are you walking like that?” Yuri asked as Jessica and I walk towards her.

Sunny and Sooyoung were with her and we were waiting for Yoona to come for the gang to be complete.

“Ask Jessica.” I grumbled.

“Rough night in bed? Got dominated?” She wriggled her eye brows, lips curved up to form a mischievous grin.

I smacked her head hard. Sooyoung and Sunny had doubled over, laughing at the sick joke Yuri made. Jessica was glaring at them all.

“Dude, I just ran 4km at the gym 2 days ago, what were you thinking?”

“I can’t believe that the both of you had not used my gift yet. What are you waiting for? The cows to come home?”

“How did you even manage to get that? You’re underage.” I was genuinely curious.

“I begged my brother to help…Hi! You’re late.”

Okay, enough details, I don’t want to know anymore. Yoona came just in time to save my day, again. I am going to be seriously deep in debt to her if this carries on.

It was the last day of the year and we had gathered for a day out and to join in the countdown later at night. As usual, we roamed about in town, looking at clothes, shopping and eating. Sunny had a shopping buddy this time and it was none other than Jessica, my shopaholic girlfriend. While Sooyoung and Yoona went off to look for food with Yuri tagging behind, I was stuck with the other two, waiting outside fitting rooms. My legs were still sore from the workout Jessica had made me do and no words could describe my relief when they decided to go into a shoe shop next. At last, I could finally sit down on cushioned seats while they tried on various shoes.

“How does this look on me Taengoo ah?” Jessica asked, showing me the flats that she was trying on.

“Good.” I barely looked up from my phone.

“What about these?” She waved another pair in her hand.

“Nice.”

“You’re no fun Taeng.” With that she strutted off to find Sunny for opinions.

It was going to be a long day. How I wished I had gone with the Shikshin trio instead, but that would probably earn me another 4 km or more on the treadmill.

We met up again for dinner but Yuri barely ordered anything while the rest of us had a 3 course western meal.

"How are you going to fit them into your stomach after all those snacks we had?" Yuri forced herself to swallow the last spoonful of soup.

That was the only thing she had ordered.

"Well, I'm still hungry." Came Sooyoung's reply, without even bothering to look up from her food.

Yuri shrugged, slumping back into her seat.

"Hurry up won't you? We're going to miss the countdown." She was bored looking at us eat.

"Shush. Calm down. There's like 5 hours left, why rush?" Bits of food flew out from Sunny's mouth as she spoke.

"Eww...that was gross, Sunny. I want to watch the performances, no harm going early. We would be able to get better spots near the stage."

"Don't rush us Yul, we're almost done. Besides, I rather stand at the back where it is less crowded than to have people pushing and squeezing us." As expected from Jessica, she hated crowded places.

An hour later, we were at the venue where the countdown party was held. Like we predicted, there were many people there, making it hard for us to maneuver our way through the crowd and Jessica held onto my arm tightly so that we would not get separated. Loud music blasted through the speakers, deafening my ears. People were dancing along and so we followed, moving our bodies to the beat.

"10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. Happy New Year!"

Fireworks lit up the night sky. Everyone was cheering, welcoming the New Year.

"Happy New Year, guys! We are so going to get promoted together this year, I swear!" Yuri shouted so that her voice could be heard.

"We'll make it, even if it kills us!" Sooyoung added, pulling us in for a group hug.

"I'm so going to miss you guys in class. You guys were the reason why I went to school besides because I have to." Sunny said, hugging us back.

I turned to look at Jessica, leaning in to kiss her.

"I love you, Princess."

"I love you too, Darling. Happy New Year."

 

--

 

I jumped a foot when Jessica came out from the shower, quickly shoving my blue notebook into the drawer, fumbling with the lock.

“So sneaky, what are you up to?”

“Nothing.” I replied, a little too quickly, trying to calm my racing heart.

“Really, I’m just writing a reflection.” I added in, seeing the skeptical look Jessica was giving me.

“Okay… I didn’t say anything. You are so paranoid… unless you have something that you’re hiding from me?” She eyed me. “And I didn’t know you have a habit of writing reflections.

“I don’t. That was a first.” I confessed, flipping onto bed, belly first.

“Want to watch a movie?” I asked, switching on the plasma TV.

“It’s already 1.30 in the morning Taeng. Aren’t you sleepy?” She snuggled next to me, yawning widely.

“Nope, not really.”

“You should, cause I am.”

I chuckled. What kind of logic was that?

“And I still have to study for the tests.”

Oh, right. The year twos have an upcoming test in 3 weeks’ time, just 2 weeks after school reopens. How could I have forgotten about it?

“Going to Starbucks tomorrow?” I asked, switching off the TV.

“Mmmm…”

“I’ll accompany you to town, there’s something I have to get there.”

There was no response from her. Instead, light snores filled the room and I realized that she had fallen asleep on me. I got out of bed, carefully so that I do not disturb her, to switch off the lights.

It’s a new brand new year, a new beginning. School will start in a week’s time but lesson would only officially begin about a month or so later, when the new batch of year one comes in. As Sooyoung said, we are going to get promoted this time, even if it kills. I am going to believe that.

 

Dear Diary,

2011's gone and it's now 2012. It's the start of a new year. Time went by too fast. I am sure that there were many good things that had happened throughout the year, but all I remember was the bad stuff. You know what I’m referring to…there were too much disappointments. Not remembering all the good stuff is just sad. What have I been doing? Regardless, I am thankful to God for sending me Jessica, if there is even someone up there. I promise I’ll listen to scripture readings every single morning during assembly and pay attention during chapel, but all I want is for this year to be a better year. Is that too much to ask for? This year would be a much better year right? No more letting people down.

I’ll just end it here then. The shower’s off and I think Sica’s coming out soon. Till the next time I write…

Faithfully,

Taeyeon

1.1.12

P.S. Jessica forgot to lock the door and I got to peep at her while she was in the shower. y~~Kekeke. Don’t tell her :P

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A new update before 2012 ends! Never had I been this excited before, waiting for a new year to begin- SNSD’s making a comeback soon and I can’t wait for it. Anyways, have fun reading and Happy New Year!