Chapter 39

Saving a Wreck

“Taengoo!”

“Yea?” Taeyeon poked her head out of the bedroom at the call of her name.

“Honey, could you please help me get this into my study?” Jessica requested, pointing to the box at the corner of the living room.

Taeyeon shuffled out, wiping her sweaty forehead with the back of her hand. “Is that the last one?” She asked.

She had been moving boxes around all day, taking the contents out and organizing everything while Jessica had supervised the movers who came to deliver their furniture.

All Taeyeon wanted to do at that moment was to take a bath and possibly get some rest before dinner.

Nonetheless, she went over, picked up that last box and carried it to Jessica’s study as requested.

A glass of ice water was held out for her and she took it gladly, gulping its content down within seconds.

Taeyeon pursed her lips, surveying their surroundings. Boxes were lying around, some opened and some unopened. They still had a long way to go getting everything organized. Groaning at the thought of those boxes in her own study waiting for her to unpack, she figured that it was enough for that day. The rest could wait.

 

After weeks of house hunting during lunch breaks for an accommodation, they had finally found a place they both liked. It was a unit in the same condominium complex as Taeng’s parents, just 2 blocks away, which meant that Hayeon could continue to hitch a ride to school in the morning with her favorite unnies.

It needed some remodeling though, and for the next few weeks, Jessica had spent quite some time overseeing the renovation works whenever she did not have to meet up with clients.

They went shopping for furniture and household appliances during the weekends, which Taeyeon had found herself quite enjoying it despite her distaste for shopping in general. Unlike the last time they moved in together, Taeyeon had a say in what goes into their house. They had been excited about living together again and were lucky that it did not take much time before their home was ready for them to move into.

Taeyeon’s favorite place was the balcony, which gave them an unblocked view of the swimming pool below. She was looking forward to spending her Sunday mornings sitting out there with her books, along with a hot cup of morning tea. Her parents’ home could be seen from there too, and had jokingly told Hayeon she was going to spy on her from time to time to make sure that Hayeon was not spending too much time out with her friends instead of studying. Jessica particularly liked that they got to have their own study room, knowing full well their books and files combine would take up a whole lot of space.  

 

“All we do is pack and unpack our belongings this year.” Jessica commented, taking the empty glass from Taeyeon and putting it down on the study table before making herself comfortable in Taeng’s sweaty embrace. “But I’m glad we have our own place now…it’s totally worth it.”

“And paid for with our own money this time.” Taeyeon sighed.

“You know, it felt so surreal when you signed the contract… But now that I’m seeing this, with all our things in here…it’s beginning to sink in, the fact that this is our home.”

Taeyeon let her arms slid down to Jessica’s waist and took a step back so she could see her girlfriend’s face.

“Good thing it’s before Christmas too.” A strand of hair hung loosely on Jessica’s forehead and Taeyeon tucked it behind her ear, letting her thumb linger on Jessica’s cheek. “Why are you so painfully beautiful?”

Jessica grinned, cupping Taeyeon’s face and giving her a smooch to the lips.

“Stop being cheesy Taengoo-ah.” Taeyeon smirked, as Jessica shimmed out from her hold and strutted out of the room, stopping at the door. “I’m taking a shower. Wanna join me?” The smirk left her face and she felt her jaw dropped, watching Jessica ed her flannel shirt teasingly, who flung it towards her when she was done taking it off. Taeyeon barely managed to catch it in her daze. “You better hurry up, or I’m locking the door.”

Taeyeon took a second to glance out of the window. After making sure that no one from the opposite block saw the little show her girlfriend had given her, she scrambled after Jessica into the master bedroom’s bathroom, before the latter could lock her out.  

Jessica’s laughter was short lived. Taeyeon caught up with her, turned her around abruptly and pressed her up against the shower screen. The erted doctor smirked when Jessica let out a surprised yelp.  

“You should stop being such a tease, baby…or I won’t be able to control myself.” Taeyeon whispered, breath tickling Jessica’s neck, feeling her girlfriend’s body tremble from her silent giggles.

Daringly, Taeyeon latched onto Jessica’s neck, on the skin, giving vampire kisses everywhere.

“Taeng…no hickeys…please…” Jessica managed to let out, breath hitched in . “Clients tomorrow.”

“Mmm.”

Without detaching herself from Jessica, Taeyeon pushed the screen door open and backed them slowly into the shower, turning on the shower knob and allowing the cold water to splash down onto them, clothes and all.

It took a while before the heater warmed up but by then, Taeyeon had rid them completely of their drenched clothes, bare bodies pressed up against the other.

She reached blindly behind Jessica for the body wash and only separated herself reluctantly from the Princess to pick it up when she accidentally knocked it off the shelf. “Let’s hurry and finish up here.” She said, squeezing out a generous amount of body wash, lathering them on Jessica and letting her hands roamed her girlfriend’s body. “I’m so getting you into bed after this.”

Jessica’s hands dropped from around Taeyeon’s neck, landing a resounding smack to Taeng’s .

“You better wash yourself then. You know how I hate it when you lie in bed before showering.”

“What’s the difference?” Taeyeon replied playfully. “We still have to change the sheets ultimately.”

“Taeng…”

“Fine, fine.” Taeyeon complied and started washing herself up, but not before she managed to steal a kiss from Jessica.

Now that Jessica had gotten her so worked up, all previous thoughts of taking a nap just flew out of the window.

As soon as they were done, Taeyeon picked Jessica up bridal style, dripping all the way as they exited the bathroom, not bothering to dry themselves off first.

“Taeng!” Jessica screeched as Taeyeon dropped her in the middle of the king size bed.

Taeyeon let out low growling noises mimicking a lion as she crawled her way over to Jessica who watched her with an amused smile.

“Why are you laughing?” Taeyeon let out another playful growl as she hovered above her girlfriend who immediately laced her hands around Taeyeon’s neck, pulling her down so that their faces were just millimeters apart. “You should be afraid of me.”  

“How can you be scary when you’re just being cute?” Taeyeon’s eyes were focused on Jessica’s lips as they brushed lightly against hers when she spoke. “You know, I am still having a hard time imagining you at work being all serious and trying to save lives when you’re such a dork at home…a whinny one too.”

“I can be anything I want Princess,” Taeyeon breathed. “Cause I’m awesome like that.” With that Taeyeon could no longer hold herself and closed the distance between them, claiming Jessica’s lips.

She felt Jessica kissed her back and she willingly let her take away all her breath, her soul, her everything.

 

A few days later~

 

“Yul, where are you?” Taeyeon asked, phone pressed to her ear, whipping her head from left to right searching for her friend.

“In your heart…” Yuri drawled lazily.

“Seriously, where exactly are you? I don’t have much-”

“Time.” Yuri suddenly appeared, slinging an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulder. “I know, I get that. But you still have an hour and it’s more than enough time for you to choose one and still get back to work in time.”

Taeyeon scowled as Yuri dragged her into the jewelry store by the neck. “I can walk on my own, Yul.” She grumbled, trying to free herself from Yuri’s headlock.

“Is that how you treat your friend who came to accompany you?”

“Remind me why did I even call you in the first place. I could have just asked your wife to accompany me.”

“Except that she’s currently in the midst of planning for another production.”

Taeyeon sighed as she walked around, looking at all the different rings on display. She had asked Yuri along for she was the most free among all her friends but mainly because she was too embarrassed to be alone in a jewelry shop.

“How did you know which one to get for Yoona?”

“I don’t. I just brought her to choose one and asked her to marry me right there and then. That was her engagement and wedding ring. Why does she need 2 separate rings when she only has 1 left ring finger for it?”

“Heol…I should have known.”

“What? It was romantic okay.” Yuri scratched her chin as they browsed through the display. “So, what does Sica like?”

“Hmm…elegance?” Taeyeon bit her lip, realizing that it was not going to be of much help in narrowing down her search.

A visible frown appeared on Taeyeon’s forehead. She had no idea what to choose- all of them look rather similar to her and so far none of them had caught her attention.

“Rings are expensive little things, Taeng. Do you really need an engagement ring aside from a wedding ring?”

“I don’t know, Yul, I don’t know. I gave her this stainless steel couple ring years ago...” Her fingers automatically went to the band resting on her left ring finger, unconsciously rubbing the worn out metal. “And I thought I should at least get her a decent ring for the proposal.”

Taeyeon’s little action did not miss Yuri’s hawk like eyes, who reached over and brought Taeyeon’s left hand up to the light, squinting her eyes at the metal band Taeyeon was wearing. “The same one she wore around her neck when we were still in school?” She let go of Taeyeon’s hand when she was done inspecting the object of her interest and went back to browsing through the display. “It’s about time you ask her to marry you, long overdue actually…But let me give you an advice, buddy.”

“Yea?”

“You’re right.” Taeyeon gave Yuri a puzzled look as the latter waved her hand towards the display. “You definitely need both an engagement and a wedding ring because that’s what everyone’s doing. She won’t be able to fault you on that if you two get into an argument…or whenever she’s being emotional.”

“That’s not an advice.”

“Listen. Yoong brings it up all the time we quarrel-If you’re going to recycle the ring you used to propose to me, at least have the decency to help out with the housework.” Yuri scrunched up her face, voice going a notch higher as she tried imitating her wife. “You’re so stingy when it comes to money and now you’re treating me like your free personal maid. What do you take me for?

Taeyeon chuckled, trying to imagine an irritated Yoona chiding Yuri for not helping her out.  

“Don’t laugh, they all change after marriage…My point is, you can’t go wrong if you do what others do…I’m thinking of getting her a nice diamond for our anniversary to save my ears from all her naggings.”

“I’m sure Sica won’t do that to me.”

“You never know Taeng, better be safe than sorry…hmm…I swear they’ve got better designs these days…what about this one?” Yuri gestured her over. “The diamond looks pretty cool.”

One look at the ring Yuri was pointing to, Taeyeon shook her head. Nope. Her Jessica was never a materialistic person, the big diamond studded ring was just...“Too bling blingz. Sica doesn’t like attracting too much attention.”

“Fine, what about this one?”

The second ring Yuri pointed to was not much better than the first. It had a rather complicated design with a huge diamond sitting in the middle of various twists and turns of the already diamond studded silver band. Taeyeon inwardly cringed at it, already imagining the huge ugly bruise it would leave on her pretty face if Jessica ever decides to punch her wearing that.

“Hmm…nope.”

“This one?”

“Not her style. You can get that for Yoong if you like.” Taeyeon replied without the slightest hesitation. “I’m pretty sure Sica doesn’t care about how expensive it is…though she’s still a girl and diamond probably makes her happy too. Knowing her, it’s the thought put into choosing it that counts.”

“She’s your girlfriend, not mine. How would I know?” Yuri shrugged. “Why did you even ask me along if you’re going to shoot down every suggestion I give?”

“I don’t want to be alone in-” Taeyeon did not get to finish whatever she was trying to say for at that moment something caught her eye and she did a double back. “Yul…” Taeyeon called in a dream like voice, hand waving for Yuri to come to the ‘Classic collections’.

It was not the most fanciful ring on display and neither was it the plainest one they had. It had a hint of girlishness that was Jessica, intricate enough to stand on its own, elegant, yet not over the top. Just perfect. And Taeyeon thought it would suit her Princess best.

“I think I found it...She’s so going to love it.”

“Taeng, how is this not bling bling too?”

Taeyeon tried elbowing Yuri but her friend was swift in dodging it. “It has just the right amount of blingz.” She had her mind made up anyway, nothing Yuri said would change it and she was 100% certain Jessica would like it as much as she did. “This is a secret okay, you can’t tell anyone, not even Yoona.”

 

Taeyeon hid her new purchase in one of the drawers in her study when she got home, locking it in case Jessica accidentally stumble upon it. She was itching to show Jessica the ring she had bought and had a hard time holding herself back. It was not time yet and she did not want to spoil the surprise. Luckily for Taeyeon, work became busier over the next 2 weeks and it kept her distracted for the time being.

 

“So you really aren’t coming home tonight?” Jessica asked, lips turned downwards. “Again?”

“I will, probably around 2 or 3 in the morning.” Taeyeon reached over, caressing Jessica’s cheek, hoping it could comfort her. “I’m sorry, Christmas is around the corner and the hospital gets busy with staff applying for leave left and right.”

Taeyeon smiled smugly at that, proud and at the same time guilty, for being one of the few lucky ones to have their application for off days approved. The only downside was that she had to take on an extra shift for a few days in a row resulting in her being home late the past few nights. But Taeyeon would take it anytime, just to spend the festive season with her family, her Princess included.

“Okay.” But Jessica still looked rather sad.

“Cheer up Princess. Just one more night…We can sleep in late tomorrow, go grocery shopping after lunch with your parents…” Taeyeon continued on, all the while Jessica’s cheeks. “And think about the gathering we’re having at night too. Aren’t you looking forward to it? Because I know I am.”

It was actually a Christmas Eve gathering house warming for their new home and they had invited their family and close friends over for a simple dinner. Taeyeon was getting excited just at the mention of it for more than one reason, hoping that tomorrow would come earlier. If only Jessica knew of the surprise event she had in store for her…

“Alright.” Jessica let out a defeated sigh, removing Taeyeon’s hand from her face but let it rest on her lap anyway. “I probably should get going before you report in late for work.” Reaching over for Taeyeon’s face, she planted a quick peck to her lips before reaching for her files at the backseat. “I’m going to miss you, Taengoo-ah.”

“I’ll miss you too, Princess. See you at home.” Taeyeon gave Jessica her signature lopsided smile and a slight wave of her hand as the latter exited the car.

Taeyeon knew she had a long day ahead in the hospital but her spirits were not dampened. In fact she was still feeling rather hyped up at the end of her shift, even sparing the time to give out shy smiles to the nurses on night duty when she left, which by the way, was very uncharacteristic of her.

It was 3 plus in the morning when she finally crawled into bed beside her sleeping Princess. Carefully wrapping an arm around Jessica’s waist so as to not wake her up, she let out a contented sigh as she listened to Jessica’s light snoring lulling her to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Okay, I didn’t know what I’ve just typed but I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. I’ve tried my best for a faster update...but still. The weather’s hot these days, I’m getting a sore throat and I hate being sick.

Hahaha…for those interested, I had the Cartier Solitaire 1895 H4071500 in mind when I was describing the engagement ring, the one with the heart shape diamond. So…what do you think Taengoo’s going to do during the gathering in the next chapter? Hahaha...

 

Well, till the next time~