Chapter 26

Saving a Wreck

Taeyeon’s POV

“Taengoo-ah, we’ll work the timing out when you get there. There have to be a time when the both of us are awake and free.”

“Let’s just stay online 24/7? That will solve everything.” I suggested as I held onto Jessica’s hand tightly.

We were ridding at the backseat of my parents’ car, together with Hayeon, on the way to the airport. The ‘big day’ finally came. Hayeon was looking miserable knowing that I would not be coming back home for a very long time and it did not help when mummy would be gone with big sister for a week; mum would be coming along to help me settle down in my shared apartment with Tiffany.

“Daddy? Can’t Taetae stay? Who’s going to play with me if Taetae’s not here?” My sister asked with watery eyes.

“She’s got to go darling.” My dad simply replied, eyes fixed on the road ahead.

“But I want Taetae!” It was all too much for Hayeon to take in and the poor girl’s lips begun to quiver, a sign to show that the waterworks were about to start. Sure enough, tears were falling freely from her eyes soon after.

Jessica let go of my hand and pulled the crying girl onto her lap, rocking her slowly. Hayeon was sobbing hard as she buried her face into Jessica’s chest.

“Don’t cry. Jessi unnie will come over and play with you if you like, and I can bring Krystal along too. Your sister will be back before you know it.” Jessica cooed, patting Hayeon’s back trying to soothe her.

“Jessica unnie will take care of you for me, baby girl. And I’ll be back with lots of sweets and soft toys for you. I promise.” I added in.

Hayeon was clutching Jessica’s shirt in her fists but turned her head to peep at me with teary eyes.

“R-really?” Her tiny voice questioned as she looked at me then at Jessica.

“Yep. Since when have we ever lied to you? I’ll be back in no time. So meanwhile listen well to daddy and mummy okay?”

Hayeon had once again buried her face into Jessica’s chest but she nodded in response.

“Unnie will call you every day. So be a good girl and stop crying.” I reassured her and she nodded her head again.

The rest of the journey was spent in silence with my head on Jessica’s shoulder. Hayeon had fallen asleep in my girlfriend’s embrace, probably from all the patting and rocking Jessica did. We were almost there; the type of trees lining the highway had changed to shorter ones with pink flowers and I could see the airport’s control tower right in front.

Dad unloaded the luggage and with mum’s help, loaded them onto the airport trolley. I took the sleeping Hayeon from Jessica, carrying her as my dad did the check in for us.

“Taeng! Jessi!”

I turned to find Yuri, Yoona, Sunny and Sooyoung running towards us, attracting unwanted attention. Hayeon jerked in my arms from the sudden commotion and stirred awake. Seeing so many unfamiliar faces, she demanded to be let down immediately, though she was still drowsy, and went to hide shyly behind Jessica.

“Hey guys.” I greeted them.

I was genuinely surprised to see them for I had told them not to send me off. Besides, I was taking a night flight and it would be late by the time they reached home and it was a school day.

“You don’t really have to come. There’s school tomorrow, you guys are all going to be tired.”

“Aww...so Jessica gets to send you off but we don’t? How sweet.” Yuri joked.

It was true that Sunny’s house was the nearest from the airport and that she lived right next to the school, but still…

“Don’t worry Taeng. We’re going to camp at Sunny’s house, we won’t be late for school. It’s just less sleep for a day, we’ll survive.” Yuri continued, seeing that I was not convinced.

“Yea, look! We’ve got something for you to remember us by.” Sunny said as she held up the A5 colored paper that I had noticed earlier.

She unrolled it to reveal a collage made up of pictures we had taken together when we were first years up till recently. Many of which were taken in the various restaurants that we visited owing to the many ‘food and shopping’ trips the gang had gone on last year, some of which were without Jessica, taken in the earlier part of last year. However, the photos taken after we had become official made up for her lack of appearances which included the enlarged photo of just the both of us, taken during our third monthsary celebration, pasted right smack in the middle.

“Wow…Thank you. I’m going to paste it up in my room.”

“You’re welcome Taeng.” Sunny hugged me.

My dad was at the side, going through every single piece of documents with my mum as my friends and I talked and joked around a bit until it was time for me to board my plane. I hugged each of my friends, thanking them for coming and promising to get them presents when I get back.

“Come here baby girl. Give unnie a big hug.” I bent down and open my arms wide.

Hayeon ran straight into me, wrapping her arms around my neck, almost knocking the wind out of me. I stood up with her hanging onto me.

“Someone’s growing up fast. You’re getting heavier.” I told her, turning my head to kiss her chubby cheek. “Gimme a kiss.” I demanded, sticking my cheek out for her.

She complied and planted a wet kiss on it.

“Buy me lots and lots of sweets when you come home?” She asked innocently.

“Yep. I’ll buy you lots and lots of them, baby girl.” Returning her a kiss on her chubby cheek, I let her back down on her feet and she promptly ran into mum’s arms to bid farewell to mummy.

I hesitated for a while when I stood in front of my dad, not knowing what to do. Like a typical Asian dad, my father was not big on showing physical affections and therefore it surprised me quite a bit when he opened his arms and took me into his manly embrace, though he pulled away approximately 2 seconds after.

“See you soon kiddo. I expect you to come back more independent than you are now. And I want you to maintain your grades, or I’m flying over to pull your ears.” He just had to show his concern by threatening me. “Trust me, I’m capable of doing that.”

“Don’t worry dad. I’ll be fine.”

“Call back every day.” And that was all he said.

I was almost done with bidding goodbye to everyone, leaving Jessica for the last for I just could not seem to be able to let her go. Wrapping my arms tighter around her waist, I buried my nose into her neck, planting a kiss onto her shoulder blade. Taking my time, I took in the familiar scent of her strawberry body wash, not wanting to release her anytime soon.

“Bye, baby. Take care. Make sure you eat on time, make new friends and study hard.” Jessica’s over protective nature came out naturally, but I would not trade it for anything in the world; it was because I knew she cared, just like my mum.

“I will. You too. Don’t stick around too much with Donghae, I’ll get jealous.”

“You’re finally admitting that you’re jealous of him.” Jessica pulled back to look at me, cupping my face. “Stay out of trouble will you? No clubbing. No alcohol. And definitely no strip clubs. Get it? If I hear any stories from Tiffany you’re so going to die.” She warned.

“Yes mam!” I saluted.

It made everyone laugh including my parents, except for Hayeon who was much too young to understand.

“Taeng wouldn’t dare to visit a strip club, Jess. Relax.” Yuri snickered. “She’s too whipped.”

Before Jessica could say anything back in response, I gave a chaste peck on her lips, preventing her from doing so. For once, Yuri was able to get away from dissing me. And as much as I would like for the kiss to last longer, I had to pull away for we were in public, not to mention that my parents and my little sister were watching.

“Don’t listen to Yuri. You have my word that I’ll never step into a strip club.” I whispered, loud enough just for her ears. “I have my eyes only on you.”

“Don’t be such a ert.” She smacked my arm lightly, blood rushing up to her face.

Before heading to the departure gate, I gave my Princess one last tight hug. “I Love you Princess, I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too.” She replied, pushing me away. “Go, you’re going to miss your flight. See you soon.”

 

Jessica’s POV

Hayeon started wailing in dad’s arms again as Taeng walked away with mum. She had her arms stretched out in front of her, like how she would usually do when she wants someone to carry her. It looked like she was willing for her sister to pick her up again, a sight heart wrenching to witness. Taeng looked like she was tempted to walk back and hug her sister again but she merely waved to us cheerfully as she cleared the custom.

I waved back to her and at the same time ran my hand through Hayeon’s hair, watching as Taeng rounded the corner and disappeared from our sight.

Hayeon clutch onto me while dad drove us home. She had fallen asleep on my lap again, eyes swollen, tired from all the crying she had done. I had some trouble untangling her from me trying not to wake her up when dad stopped the car in front of my house.

Kissing the little girl’s forehead, I gently lowered her down on the seat, fastening the seatbelt on for her.

“Bye dad, thanks for driving me home.”

“No problem. I am glad that you’re here. I wouldn’t be able to drive and handle this monster if it’s not for you.”

“It’s okay. She’s Taeng’s sister, which makes her my sister too.”

“Rest early. You’ve still got school tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll see you around, dad.” I waved, closing the car door.

Dad drove off as soon as he made sure that I got back into the house safely.

 

‘Taengoo-ah…the bed feels too big without you here.’ I sighed as I crashed face first into my bed.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

“Are you okay, honey?” my mum asked as she patted me lightly on my back.

“Yea, I’m. Which gate are we supposed to go to?”

 

--

 

I hate long plane rides, I really do. By the 6th hour in the plane, my legs were already getting numb and I could not stand the buzzing noise in my ears. I was uncomfortable, everywhere. The cabin was dark and almost everyone was sleeping but no matter how tired I was I just could not fall asleep. With nothing to do, I ended up flipping through movies, looking for something interesting to pass the time while waiting for the in- flight breakfast to be serve, or better yet, just let the plane miraculously land way ahead of its scheduled time and spare me from my discomfort.

 

--

 

“Finally! Never been this glad to get out of a plane before.” I groaned as I set foot in the airport. “Mummy, I can’t feel my legs anymore. And my hurts like .”

“You’re not even that old Taeyeon-ah.” My mum chuckled, holding my hand as we followed the crowd out. I felt like a 10 year old child all over again. “Hurry up honey, you don’t want to make Tiffany wait do you?”

“Aw man. I forgot that there’s still a car ride to our apartment. Crap, my poor won’t be able to tolerate any more sitting.” I whined.

“Stop grumbling and act your age hon, you’re 18 this year.”

Act my age? Somehow it reminded me of Jessica who had told me that many times before and speaking of her, I forgot that I was supposed to send her a message as soon as I touched down but I had been too distracted by the ache in my rear. Taking my phone out and switching it back on, it was instantly flooded with messages from the local telecom regarding the auto roaming plans. Ignoring those messages, I quickly typed in a message to my girlfriend.

 

To Princess:

Hey, I’ve arrived at the airport. Everything’s cool apart from the fact that my buttocks hurt so much from sitting down for too long :( *sobs* I miss you already. Shall we go on Skype when you get back home from school? We’re on our way to meet Tiff.

From Taengoo

 

After sending her the message, I sent another text to my dad to let him know that we had landed safely. With that done, I followed my mum out after collecting our luggage. 

 

Tiffany was easy to spot among the sea of foreigners. How could she not stand out decked in that hot pink track suit of hers? It hurts my eyes just looking at it.

“Taetae!” She squealed, her energy level charged to the maximum despite it being so early in the morning.

“Hi.” I greeted her back lifelessly, not bothering to return her hug.

“What’s up with you?” she asked, but decided to ignore me and turned her attention to my mother instead.

“Don’t bother about her. Someone’s just upset that her hurts.” My mum teased.

“Ohh…” Tiffany made a face as realization dawned on her. “It’s okay, she will feel much better when we get back home. Let’s go, the car’s just outside.”

“Please tell me you’re not the one driving.” I begged. “I don’t think I trust your driving skills.”

“Be glad that I can drive girl, you will be begging me to drive you to school very soon.” She retorted, obviously offended.

“Can’t wait.” I replied sarcastically.

“You know what, Tae? I think you need some sleep too, you’re sprouting nonsense early in the morning.”

“It is 3 pm back home-” I was about to ask her how would it take for us to get to the apartment when the vibration from my phone stopped me and I eagerly fished it out from my pocket.

“You’re attitude sure change damn fast. Are you bipolar or something?” She asked, noticing the change in my expression as I read through Jessica’s reply.

 

To Taengoo:

Aw, my poor baby. Want a kiss to make it feel better? *Muacks* I’ll be home in an hour, but aren’t you tired from all the travelling? Take a nap or something. We can talk at a later time, maybe at night (my time) or tomorrow. I don’t want you to stay up because of me. I miss you too. Love you loads <3

From Princess

 

“That probably Jessica. Only she can make my daughter smile like an idiot.” I barely heard what my mum said as I concentrated on typing my reply.

 

To Princess:

Okay, you’re right. I’m super sleepy now and I can’t wait to get into bed. Didn’t get to sleep a wink in the plane :( I’ll be online. But if I don’t answer the video call, it means that I’m sleeping, so try again at a later time, okay? Tiffany’s driving and I’m scared of her driving skills…Talk to you later! I love you too.

From Taengoo

 

The car ride to the apartment was short, according to Tiffany, it was only 30 minutes. I could not judge Tiffany’s driving skills for as soon as I leaned back into the car seat, fatigue took over me and I fell asleep instantly.

 

Tiffany’s POV

Taeyeon did not appreciate the way I woke her up and it was obvious from all the glares that she was sending my way as I entered our security password to our… home, I guess. Taetae was knocked out in the backseat even before we left the airport and no amount of calling could wake her. Her head was leaning against the car door and I resorted to opening it with enough force to make her tumble out of the car, falling face first onto the hard pavement, effectively waking her up. There was no way, I could carry her up to our unit, even with her mum there to help. I was glad that Mrs. Kim had come along with her; I for sure would not know what to do with all the stuff that she had brought along let alone having to handle a jet legging and grouchy Taetae at the same time. At least with her mum watching, Tae would not be able to murder me no matter how much she wanted to right at that moment.

I had moved in a month ago,  by myself which gave me enough time to decorate it a little before Tae was due to come. At least it had the basics in it, couch, television, beds, cooking utensils, etc. Tae had to be grateful for all that I had done for I was the reason why she could immediately go to sleep straight after changing into more comfortable clothes, on a bed with new, freshly washed sheets. She had her laptop on though, charger plugged into the socket, connected to the house wireless system.

Mrs. Kim shook her head looking at the ball curled up under the blanket which was Taetae and closed the door behind her.

“Take a rest too aunty. You must be tired from the plane ride. I had the mattress laid out for you in the guest room already.”

“You too Tiff, you had to wake up early to fetch us from the airport.” She smiled at me, patting my head and made her way to the guest room at the end of the corridor.

But before I could go to the kitchen to get some water, a loud ringing tone could be heard coming from Tae’s room. Not wanting the noise to disturb anybody, I tip toed into her room to check it out. As expected, Taeyeon had not move an inch from her previous position. It turned out that the sound came from her laptop, her girlfriend was video calling her.

Taking my ear piece out from my pocket, I plugged it into her laptop, taking a glance back at her. Well, I was sure she would not mind me taking her call since she was sleeping like a log.

“Hi, Jessica.” I whispered into the speaker.

Jessica's face appeared on the screen and she looked a tad bit confused when she saw me instead of the little midget.

“Oh hey. Where’s Taengoo? And why are you whispering?”

I shifted the laptop so that the camera could capture Tae’s sleeping figure on the bed and I heard Jessica’s giggles.

“She K.O-ed.” I informed her, turning the laptop back to face me. “Hold on, let me just get out of here first...”

“She’s tired isn’t she? I kinda expected it, so much for wanting to talk, that idiot.”

“There, much better.” I could finally talk normally as I settled down on the couch in the living room. “Yea, she jumped down my throat as soon as we met. If I don’t know her long enough, I would have thought that she hated me a lot.”

“Well, she acts like a baby sometimes. Keep an eye on her for me kay? She can be very reckless.”

“I’m sure she knows how to keep herself in check. You worry about her more than her parents, and I for one know that Tae’s a daddy’s girl.” The statement made Jessica blushed.

“I’m not over protective! Tell Taeng that I called will you?” She asked, trying to shake off the embarrassment. “It’s nice talking to you again.”

“Yup, I’ll tell your baby you called. She’s gonna be fine, really.” I reassured her. “Good luck for your ‘A’ levels! Taetae told me that you’re smart.”

“She exaggerating, don’t listen to her. Thanks though. Speaking of which, I’ve still got homework to do and I better get started on it.”

“Oh, I’d better not take up too much of you time then. Let’s talk next time. Bye!”

“Wait!” Just as I was about to click the ‘end call’ button, Jessica’s voice stopped me. “On second thought, just place her laptop where I can see her through the screen will you?”

“Do you really miss her that much?” I was amused.

“Well, it’s weird not seeing her for a day. She was always around.”

“Okay, as you wish.” I picked up Tae’s laptop off my lap and headed back to her room.

After adjusting the laptop on the table and when Jessica was satisfied with the angle, I plugged the charger back to make sure the battery would not die on them halfway and waved goodbye to her.

Jessica was such a sweet girlfriend. Taetae’s really lucky to have her. Leaving the two to themselves; or whatever they were up to, I headed back to the kitchen to get my glass of water I had originally intended to get.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

After what seemed like a very long time, I woke up with my face feeling bloated. My eyes were swollen which could only be the result of too much sleeping and my head was spinning.

“Jessica? Darling?” I yawned, feeling the bed beside me only to find it empty.

‘Where the hell am I?’ I looked around, the room was dark but I could roughly make out the unfamiliar layout of the room. It was not Jessica’s and neither was it mine.

It took me a few moment to realize that I was indeed home. My new home.

‘Dang, the 14 hours plane ride screwed my brain up.’

The room was dark, except for the light emitting from the laptop screen. Light headed, I got out of bed, feeling my way in the dark till I found the switch on the wall. The lights flickered on, blinding my eyes.

“Taeng? Are you awake?”

I jumped, looking around to see where the voice came from. It sounded oddly familiar but I could not quite figure out who it belonged to.

“Baby? Are you in your room?”

“Jessica?” I asked, not sure if I was hallucinating or not. “Where are you? Don’t tell me I’m still dreaming.”

“The Skype idiot. Did you leave your brains somewhere among the clouds?”

I scrambled over to the table. Tiffany had not gotten me a chair yet so I unplugged the laptop and brought it over to the bed.

“What- How did you manage to get through? Did I sleep walk and answered it?”

“Finally you realized. I called earlier but you were sleeping. Tiffany picked it up for you and I told her not to disconnect it.” She explained.

“What time is it now?” I asked, realizing that Jessica was in her uniform.

“6am here. I was about to go to school when I saw lights in your room.”

“No wonder I’m hungry.” To prove my point, my stomach just had to growl loudly at the same time. “I slept the whole day. The last meal I had was breakfast in the plane.” I pouted, recalling back on the food which I had barely touched.

“Go eat, and try to get back into bed. I’ve got to go anyway. I’ll be back home by 5. You should be awake again by then. See you okay?”

“Okay. Be careful on your way. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

With that, the video chat was disconnected.

I was still not used to my new kitchen and it took me some time to find the cup noodles which Tiffany had stored up and another 5 minutes to figure out where to get the hot water. I was tempted to find Tiffany and ask for her help nut then I reminded myself that it was past 10 pm local time and she would most probably be asleep, having woke up so early today.

If there was anything I hated as much as sitting through long plane rides, it would be jet legging. My world seemed to have turned upside down due to the 8 hours’ time difference.

‘I should really get use to this. School’s starting in 2 weeks, I can’t be awake when everyone’s sleeping and sleep when everyone’s awake.’

Though I was not one who likes eating cup noodles or instant noodles like Jessica, the one that I had tasted heavenly. But it was probably my stomach talking, too famished to care about what went down my throat. It was emptied within minutes and I headed back into my room to start unpacking. As expected, it did not take long for me to get frustrated by the mess I had created instead and ended up throwing everything aside, deciding to follow Jessica’s advice and go back to sleep.

Surprisingly, I drifted back into dreamland without much trouble. The last thought that went through my mind before I zonked out was to clear out the luggage by tomorrow and to remember to decorate my bare room

Sigh, it was so going to be a very long day…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

101 subscribers! Wow, that is a lot! I glad a lot of you find this interesting enough to subscribe, it’s just that I never thought anyone would be interested to read my life story. Haha. (: Anyways, I’m sorry for all the slow updating but when June comes, updates will be more frequent, I promise. As always, I hope you enjoy reading. Comments are appreciated,but no pressure, I’ll do my best to reply (: Till the next time~