Chapter 3

Saving a Wreck

June 2011, while Taeyeon was still out playing with the gang

Jessica’s POV

 

I had got no idea how long had I been here. It was already dark when I looked up from my notes and my stomach begun to growl. 7.30pm. ‘Crap, mummy’s gonna be pissed at me for coming home late for dinner again.’ Swiftly, I packed my notes and made my way out of the coffee house. It was a Friday night and town was packed with office people getting off work, heading for their ‘party time’. I looked around and saw many couples walking hand in hand and for some reasons, I begun to think of Taeyeon. Speaking of which, where the hell was she and why had she not texted me back yet? I had asked her to go on a study date this coming Monday. It was time for her to start studying; she was having way too much fun with her gang. ‘That girl, she's such a slacker. Maybe she will listen to me if I ask her to come study with me.’ She listens to me well. Thanks to her habit of sleep talking, I managed to find out why she did so. Did I mention the fact that she was so freaking cute when she sleeps? She was, and if I could, I would have spent the rest of my life watching her sleep.

 

Flashback

 

“Having break now?” Sooyoung asked as I made my way towards them at the study area.

“Yup. It’s an hour long but I’ve got an essay due in the next period, which, is still half done.” I replied as I placed my bag down on the bench, taking my seat beside her.

Taengoo was asleep, body slumped over the table, face in her thick stack of lecture notes. She must have been exhausted from her training yesterday.

“Do you mind taking care of our things while I go grab some food from the café? I’m hungry and she’s still sleeping.”

“Yea, sure, go ahead.”

“Need anything?”

“Nope, I’m fine, need to get the essay done.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back.” With that Sooyoung started to make her way to the café, looking for food to fill her starving stomach. It was so typical of her, that shikshin.

I took out my folder and stared at my half written essay; I was only left with the conclusion, it should not take me much time. My essay was done even before Sooyoung was back and I was wondering if I should wake Taengoo up. Her next lecture would start in 10 minutes. Just when my hand was about to touch her, she spoke.

“Sica…”

‘She’s awake?’

“Yea? Time to wake up Taengoo ah.”

No response. She was definitely still sleeping. Her eyes were still closed and she was drooling. I let out a giggle which I immediately muffled with my palm. She was so adorable.

“Sica…” There she went again.

“I like you…will you be my girlfriend?”

I was shocked. Partly because of her sudden confession and partly because of how clearly she spoke. ‘Is that how people usually sleep talk?’ Recovering from my shock, I burst out into laughter. It was just funny how she would confess her feelings when she was asleep.

“What chu laufin at?” she slurred, finally awake, still groggy.

I was laughing hard. My sides were about to burst and I could not seem to stop.

“You’re awake! Lecture is starting in 5. Come on, let’s go…Wait, what happened? Why are you laughing like that?” Sooyoung was back, along with a packet of chips.

I shook my head, still laughing. It did not seem like I would be able to talk any time soon.

“We’ve got to go. I’ll see you after school, Sica.” Taeyeon told me, giving me a weird look as the both of them started to walk away. “And stop laughing. You’re going to die like that.”

I laughed harder hearing that and tears started to roll down my cheeks. As Taeyeon and Sooyoung disappeared from my sight, I started to calm down; ignoring the stares I was receiving from those around me. ‘So she likes me?’ It made sense now why she would stare at me sometimes and stone. It also explained why she would always give in to me, even if she was reluctant to do so.

‘I like you.’ It felt good coming from her. But I wanted to hear it again, with her wide awake and aware of what of her own surrounding. What should I do so that she would confess?’ Hmmm…I should start thinking about it, there was still half an hour left before my next class anyway.

The day went by in a flash and I could barely concentrate in class. It was all that midget’s fault. I kept thinking of her confession throughout the day, smiling to myself like an idiot. ‘What have you done to me Taeng?’

 

Taeyeon had been my best friend since orientation and she was the first ever person to start a conversation with me on our first day of school. Her smile had this calming effect on me, making me relax. I stuck to her throughout orientation; she was the only one I felt comfortable with, my life vest, preventing me from drowning, helping me to breathe. As I got to know her better, I realized that she kept mostly to herself; she was more of a listener. She was quiet, but her eyes spoke for her. That was her charm. Time passed and she started opening up more. She was this happy go lucky kid, a dorky one. Taeyeon was emotionally strong and I had never seen her sad before. I was not even sure if sad was in her dictionary, but it was hard to read her emotions sometimes. Even so, something about her drawled me in and I before I knew it, I realized that I might have like my best friend a little more than a normal friend should.

 

“So why were you laughing like a mad woman just now” she asked, effectively bringing me back to earth.

We were in the train, on our way back home from school. The thought of her sleep talking had me laughing again.

“Nothing…” I managed to reply her. “It’s just that…you do know that you speak very clearly when you sleep don’t you? Does everybody sleep talk the way you do?” I had stop laughing by then.

“Oh…that. Wait. I was sleep talking? What did I say?” she furrowed her eye brows.

I was contemplating if I should tell her the truth or not, but decided against it.

“Something about you liking…”

“Liking what?” a hint of panic in her voice.

“Liking gummy worms I guess.” I replied, shrugging my shoulders, trying hard not to burst out laughing again.

“You sure? Nothing else?” she seemed to calm down a little.

“Yup. Why? Anything I’m not supposed to know?” I asked playfully wriggling my brows.

“Well…I might have blurted out some…you know what? Never mind. So how was school today?”

She was trying to change the topic and I knew it. So she did remember what she was dreaming about and I could roughly guess the content of her dreams. We drifted off on the topic of her sleep talking and never talked about it anymore for the rest of the ride home.

 

That night I fell asleep, glad that Taeng liked me the same way, hoping that she would confess to me soon.

 

--

 

Back to present

 

Taeyeon had decided to come out with me to study. Finally. It took her 2 days to reply my text and I was just a little pissed about it. It had been a few hours since we started studying and my eyes were starting to sting. I took a peek at Taeyeon on my right and noticed that she was staring at me again.

“Something on my face? Why do you keep staring at me” I wiped my mouth with my hand.

She looked at me and I noticed how her eyes made their way to my lips. I smirked. ‘That little ert. Just what was she thinking about?’ Her eyes glazed over and I began to worry. She was so still like she just went into shock.

“Taeng? Taengoo, are you alright?” I was genuinely concerned. It looked like she was going to hyperventilate any time soon.

“Ye..Yea, yea I’m alright.” She stammered, attempting to hide her blush behind her hair.

‘You like me that much?’ Without myself knowing, a smirk found its way to my lips as I once again, indulged myself in the history of the cold war.

It was dark before I knew it and Taengoo was already yawning her head off. We decided to call it a day and started to make our way home. Taengoo was her usual dorky self during the train ride home. She had looked so tired back at Starbucks and it seemed like she had gotten her usual energetic self-back once her books were packed, away from her. We alighted at our stop and it was time to go our separate ways.

“I’ll be at Starbucks again tomorrow, same time. Let me know if you’re coming okay?”

She gave me a nod, but I could see the hesitation in her eyes.

Well, she really needed to catch up with her studies. I felt like her mother at times like this, making sure that she did her revision. Before turning away, I gave her a wink just to , my revenge for taking such a long to reply my text.

I jumped onto bed after my shower and grabbed my phone. Tae should have given me an answer by now. Sure enough there was a message from her and I opened it.

 

To: Princess <3

Hey, I won’t be able to join you tomorrow… ):

I’ve got a family lunch or something.

Maybe next time?

From: Taengoo

 

Family lunch? Oh well. Why am I so disappointed by that news?

 

To: Taengoo

It’s alright. But make sure you study k.

Love you (:

From: Princess Jessica <3

 

Her reply came a few seconds later. That was fast.

 

To: Princess Jessica <3

Love you too. Don’t miss me too much.

From: Taengoo

 

Aish…That egoistic kid. I giggled at her response before deciding to reply her.

 

To : Taengoo 

You wish. I wanna sleep now, goodnight (:

From: Princess Jessica <3

 

To: Princess Jessica <3

Nights (:

From: Taengoo

 

With that, I placed my phone aside and turned in, a smile plastered on my face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3! Thanks for subscribing! It feels weird to be writing stories again, it has been a long time since I last wrote anything about 2 years? I'm getting out of touch. I read through my chapters again and realised that I've quite a lot of mistakes- grammar and tenses. I should have checked it through again before posting them up. Anyway, hope you enjoy chapter 3 (: