Chapter 1

Saving a Wreck

 

January 2011

 

Taeyon's POV

 

“Urrgghhhh” I groaned and flipped over on my side, reaching out to the night stand beside my bed to grab my phone, eyes still half opened.

“Too bright…” I complained, to no one in particular. “What time’s it?” I unlocked my phone and took a glance at the digital clock on the top left hand corner of the screen. 12.30pm. Throwing my phone back on the night stand, I rolled to lie on my back with another groan. Holidays . Big time.

Staring at the ceiling, flashbacks of yesterday’s event begin to play in my mind. I smiled as I recalled the fun that my friends and I had the day before; cycling at the beach, racing one another to see who reached the jetty first, BBQing under a single lamppost that barely provided us enough light to see if the food was cooked or not, while watching a few of the class jokers attempting to catch and throw our homeroom teacher into the salty sea water. It was the last outing as a class before all of us go our separate ways, to different colleges or polytechnics.

“Holy crap!” speaking of colleges and polytechnics, the posting results were supposed to come out by now! “!” I silently cursed, “How could I have forgotten about it!” Now fully awake, I scrambled out of bed to get my phone once again and unlocked it. Sure enough, there’s an unread message in my phone’s notification. ‘Please….please just let it be my first choice…’ I prayed in my head, to whoever was listening up there. I clicked onto the button, the screen flashed, revealing the content of the message.

Oh. My. God.

“Yes! Ohmagosh! Mum! Mum!” I couldn’t believe what I had just seen. I was posted to the college that I had wanted to go to. Barely able to contain my excitement, I rushed out of my bedroom wanting to share the good news with my parents. “Mum?....Dad?” I called out. No response. I opened the door to my sister’s room and saw her still cuddled in her blanket, sleeping. That pig. Where could they be? Are they still not back from the market? Puzzled, I picked up the house phone and decided to call my dad, knowing that he would be with my mum.

My dad answered on the second ring and I could imagine him pulling his phone away from his ear as I screamed into the receiver. “Guess what dad! I got it! I’ve gotten into that school! WOW! I’ve owned the world!”

“Whoa…calm down kid, there’s no need to shout. Congratulations on getting into your dream school. Let’s talk about it when we get home alright? We’re already downstairs.”

Everything seemed so right then, I had got everything that I had ever wanted, I could not imagine life getting any better. How wrong I was. I should have learnt by then, at the age of 16 and a half that good things do not last. If only I had known then that I was making a wrong decision in choosing that college…If only I had not been that proud.

 

--

 

I had been staring at that white form for an hour and still nothing had been filled in aside from my name. It was time for us to choose our subject combination and I was having a huge headache because of it. Apparently, there was a minimum grade required to take certain subjects at H2 level and I could not take the subject combination that I had wanted and needed for me to take the course that I want in University. Since I could not take Chemistry at H2 level, it left me with limited choices to choose from in the science stream. “Screw this! I wouldn’t be able to qualify for that course if I take H1 Chemistry. What on earth should I do? Urgh!” I sighed. Should I transfer to another college which offers me the subject combination that I want? Grabbing a blank sheet of unused paper I started scribbling on it. Looking at it 5 minutes later, this was what I wrote:

 

Stay:

-my dream school

-it has a better track record in their sports cca, constantly in top 3 every year, it’s my chance now to be in a winning team

-I’ve made new friends and couldn’t bear to leave them (not to mention the very hot girl in my orientation group by the name of Jessica Jung)

-teaches at a faster pace

 

Transfer:

-offers me the subject combination that I want

-school’s nearer to home, saves travelling time

-doesn’t have a good sports record (I’m from the national youth development squad what’s the point of joining a losing team when a better team wants me?)

-teaches at a slower pace (it would be easier for me to learn.)

 

It was pretty obvious which was the right choice to make. But my pride would not allow me to. I had to stay. I want to have the better school so that I can tell my relatives what school I’m from when they ask during the New Year. I want to be in a better team so that I could at least win something during competitions. Most of all, I wanted to see her. Jessica. ‘I’m gonna manage somehow.’ I tried convincing myself that I would somehow pull through, like how I did in the past. With that in mind, I chose my subject combination: H2 Math, Econs, Physics and H1 Chemistry. Even if I hated Physics, I had got no choice. Right, as long as I’m still in the science stream I would still have hope of getting into biomedical science. I had made my decision, there was no turning back. After filling the form in, I stashed it into my bag so that there was no chances of me accidentally leaving it at home, it was important that I hand it in to the school’s general office the next day. I jumped into bed pulling the covers over me after switching off the lights. Tomorrow will be a better day. I could not wait to see her again. I drifted off into dreamland soon after, dreaming of Jessica.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, how's it? I'm new here, still dont really get how this site works but I'll figure it out along the way. Anways, it has been a long time since i've written a story, so I guess I'm a little rusty. Leave some comments! Let me know what you think of this.

 

P.S I've got a problem with my grammars, if you find any mistakes let me know (:(:(: