Chapter One: When It All Began

Your Revenge. My Bargain. Us.

CHAPTER ONE

WHEN IT ALL BEGAN

 

 
xxx
(a) The glass house, my jewelries, the building suitable for an art gallery and the other half of my bank account shall form part of the legitime of my second granddaughter and compulsory heir Choi Sulli; 
 
(b) The aforementioned inheritance would only fall into the hands of my granddaughter Choi Sulli if she would fulfill the condition of getting married within one year after my death or earlier.
xxx
 
Sulli stared at their family lawyer who was reading their deceased grandmother's last will and testament. She could not believe what she was hearing. She looked at her older sister Sooyoung with confused eyes. After the reading, they went outside and talked.
 
Sulli: Do you think grandmother was serious when she made that will?
Sooyoung: You heard the lawyer. Besides, the will was notarized and all the legal procedures were followed. I don't think she was joking when she made that will.
Sulli: Could it be contested? I mean in court?
Sooyoung: I think it would just be a waste of time and resources to do that. The will is pretty much intact in the legal point of view. More than that, haven't you noticed that when grandmother was alive, she was very determined in getting the both of us married off? I don't think there is a room for you to escape here. You need to get married. You only have a year.
Sulli: That's easy for you to say. You have SiWon by your side. You got married before grandmother passed away.
Sooyoung: That's besides the point. SiWon and I got married not knowing of the condition in grandmother's will. I'm willing to give you half of my share just in case you don't get married within a year. Don't worry.
Sulli: Ani. That is for you. I can't bear to take it away. I'll find a solution to this. 
 
Sulli assured her older sister once more and hugged her before she left with her husband Choi SiWon who was waiting at the door after he ushered the lawyer out of Sulli and Sooyoung's childhood house.
 
Sulli was now alone in their childhood home. The place seemed empty with only memories to fill the spaces. Their parents died in an accident when their private plane crashed when they were on their way to Paris for a vacation. Sulli was still a child of tender years, but her memory of her parents love was clear on her mind. Her parents' marriage was founded on love. That was what her grandmother had always told them when she was appointed as their legal guardian. Their grandmother took them under her wings and gave them love, understanding and care. Sooyoung and Sulli did not need much of their grandmother's financial support. The trust fund left by their parents for each of them was more than enough to cater for their needs. But the love, understanding, care and support that their grandmother gave them was a very important factor on how they became who they are. Sooyoung graduated from Seoul University with a degree in history and is now managing a big museum. Not to mention, she was now married to one of the top doctors in Seoul. On the other hand, Sulli graduated from the same university with a degree in fine arts and is now managing an art gallery; and is planning of setting up her own.
 
Sulli sighed.
 
"Grandmother, how can you expect this form me? How can I get married within a year? How am I supposed to find the right man within a year? You told me that Sooyoung and I deserve to have the kind of marriage that Appa and Umma had. Do you want me to get married just so I could get my inheritance? You even included the building that is perfect for an art gallery under a provisional condition." Sulli talked her grandmother as she stared at her picture hanging at the living room.
 
As expected no one answered. Sulli felt hot tears trickling down her cheeks. She misses her grandmother.
 
"I wish you were still here grandmother." She whispered.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
On the other side of Seoul, Minho received a text message from his long time girl friend Krystal.
 
To: Minho
From: Krystal
Are you busy? Can you meet me at the cafe where we usually go? I need to tell you something.
 
Uh-oh. Minho knew this was going to be bad. But still, he sent her a quick reply.
 
To: Krystal
From: Minho
Sure. But I still have a meeting with my clients.  I'll be free at 4:00PM.  I love you. :)
 
Minho was one of the top young, (not to mention handsome) architects working at Lee-Park-Kim Architectural Firm. He was immediately hired when he passed the state boards and from then on he started building his career. But his busy career did not keep him from giving enough time for his family and his long-term girlfriend Krystal. They have been together since they were in their junior year in college. He was planning to propose to her very soon.
 
After a few hours.
 
Minho parked his car outside the coffee shop to meet Krystal. He immediately saw her when he entered the cafe. 
 
Minho: Hey babe. *smiled*
Krystal: Hey.
Minho: Do you want to order drinks first or-
 
He was cut by Krystal before he can say anything else.
 
Krystal: I have to break up with you.
 
Minho was startled with what she said. He knew from her text that something was wrong, he did not expect that it would be this problematic.
 
Minho: This is not funny baby. You can stop joking now.
Krystal: I'm not. Do you remember Lee Taemin?
 
Of course he remembers him. Taemin is Krystals' co-employee at the advertising firm where she was working. He had been eyeing and circling Krystal like a predator waiting for his prey.
 
Minho: Krystal, can we talk about this? If you need a time out, I can give it to you. But don't break up with me. Don't do this to us babe.
Krystal: I'm sorry Minho. We've been together for so long. I guess I grew out of love. I'm in love with Taemin. I haven't told you this, but I've been cheating on you for the past three months.
 
Minho became silent. He was stoic. he could not move; and this only meant that he was mad. His girlfriend cheated on him, when all he wanted was to give the world and his love to her. All he could do was stare at Krystal as she stood from her seat and walked out of the coffee shop and out of his life.