friday the 15h {JOONXING}

EXO’s children short story collection

friday the 15th

ft. Joonxing and Lay

fluffy, father and son time, family, birthday fic

{ While Joonmyun is away for the day for work, Joonxing spends his birthday/bonding time with his stepfather, Lay. }

TT p TT my angelic son’s birthday is on August 15! jeez. having 6 kids does take a toll on ya, but they are all precious xD mummy loves you, Joonxing lol always be a good boy ; V ;

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

“I’m off to work,” the man said towards the younger in front of him, “Mommy loves you,” he whispered, "And happy birthday Joonxing.” A quick peck was made on his head.

8 year old, Joonxing crossed his arms, as he watched his mother, Joonmyun, turned around to give his stepfather, Lay, a kiss on the lips. He scrunched up his face, before turning his heel to head back to the living room.

It wasn’t that long ago that his mother and his stepfather got married. He was happy, truly he was, for his mother, considering his real father, Yixing, left them for another, leaving him and his once depressed mother behind. It was that when Joonxing was 3, his mother met, Lay, a transferred doctor from China, who just happened to be assigned in the same hospital as his mother. Surprisingly, he looked an awful a lot like his real father. His mother was a registered nurse, and would often converse with Lay all the time. It wasn’t long until the two started to feel something for each other, and for 3 years, Joonxing had to put up with his mother bringing and going out with Lay. Now a year in being a married couple, Joonxing was still a bit apprehensive about his new stepfather. He was very much concerned that his new stepfather will leave him and his mother just like what his real father did.

He just didn’t trust him.

Yet.

“Joonxing.”

The young boy looked up from his video game that he was currently playing. “Yeah?”

“It is nice outside.” Lay gestured to the window pane that displayed their backyard. “Wanna play soccer?”

Joonxing loved soccer. He would always play with his neighborhood friends right after school, or during saturdays, in the morning. “Hm, nah,” he shook his head, “I’ll pass.”

“Oh...um, okay then.” Lay said with a hint of sadness. ‘He still doesn’t like me.’ “Um, may I play with you?” He asked, hoping that Joonxing would get the hint that he wanted to interact with him more.

“Uh, this is kinda a one person game.” Joonxing said, now turning his attention back to the video game.

“Ah, okay.” Lay bit the inside of his cheek. ‘Well that didn’t work.’ He sighed, before telling his stepson that he would be upstairs. Joonxing hummed in response, but didn’t bother to turn his head. Lay started to head up stairs, to his and Joonmyun’s shared room. As he closed the door, he fished out his cellphone and started to dial one of his good friends, Jongin.

“Hello --”

“Jongin! He still hates me!” Lay groaned, letting his back hit the mattress. “He still hates me, and I don’t know what to do.”

“Who?”

“Jongin! Joonxing! Joonmyun’s son? He still doesn’t like me!”

“Oh.”

Lay pulled his phone away, looking at the device questioningly in his hands, before putting it back on his ear. “What do you mean ‘oh’? Jongin, I don’t know what to do. I’m worried that he won’t like me as a father. I don’t know what I am doing wrong.”

Jongin sighed, leaning back in the chair that he was sitting on. “Mm, I don’t know what to tell you, Lay.”

“Are you suppose to be my best friend?! You aren’t helping!”

“Dude, chill, I’m trying my best, but you have to remember, I don’t have any experience in having a stepson, or children for that matter.” He said, now standing up from his desk, grabbing the now empty glass and putting it in his empty bowl. “However, I do think that he might be feeling a bit defensive, which I can understand, considering that you just entered their lives, ya know?”

“No, I don’t know.”

“And you...a doctor cannot understand something simple as this.”

“I am a hematologist! I deal with blood, not children. And I don’t know anything about the mind! That is a different field!”

“Which,” Jongin pointed out, “Is a gross doctor position...being a hematologist I mean.”

“Well, someone has to do it.” Lay retorted, narrowing his eyes at nothing in particular, “Just, please, Jongin, explain.”

“Look, do you know the history of Joonmyun’s first husband?”

“Well, yeah, of course, he told me. This Yixing guy left him for someone else.” Lay replied, a bit angry that someone like him, or people like him overall would leave their significant other. It was rude in general.

“Okay, Joonxing...now hear me out here...Joonxing might be feeling that you might do the same thing as this Yixing guy. Leave him and his mother.”

“But I would never do that! I love Joonmyun, and Joonxing a lot!”

Jongin chuckled. “I know you do man, I know you do. I’m just saying that he is a bit protective of his mother. I would say give it some time with the baby Angel...he will come around.”

‘I hope so too.’

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

Joonxing puffed his cheeks in trying to reach for the box of graham crackers with banana vanilla creme filling; however, it was too high for the baby Angel to reach. He went on his tippy toes on the high stool, reaching as much as he could. “A-Ah.” Joonxing could feel that he was losing his footing, that he did the mistake of leaning back more.

In all perfect timing, Lay was able to see that Joonxing was about to fall, quickly made his way over to his stepson, and caught him in the nick of time. Joonxing looked up, seeing that his stepfather was looking down on him. He frowned, and displayed a red tint on his face.

“I could handle it myself.” He said with a huff.

“I know, but really, Joonxing, you were about to fall.” Lay gently pushed Joonxing up, making him stand perfectly straight on the high stool. “What do you need? I can probably get it for you.” Joonxing knitted his eyebrows, but sighed. He cursed his shortness; he pointed at the box that he wanted towards Lay, which he was secretly happy that Joonxing was being at least responsive towards him. “That?”

“Yes...please.” Joonxing replied with a soft, yet irritated tone.

Lay nodded, standing up high to grab the box. A successful reach, and Lay opened the box for his stepson. “Um, hey, Joonxing, you wanna go to the park with me? It is still nice out.”

Joonxing looked at the other, as he opened his snack. With an indifferent face, he shook his head. With that, he ran out from the kitchen.

Lay rubbed the back of his neck as he closed the cabinet with his free hand. A sigh escaped from his lips. ‘Don’t give up!’

He went over to the fridge, and placed his hand on the handle. ‘Hm?’ He glanced at the calendar seeing that an important date was circled. ‘August 15 is circled...why -- oh my god. It’s Joonxing’s birthday!’ Lay smacked his head with his hand. ‘God, I’m such a bad stepfather!! How can I forget my stepson’s birthday? I bet Jongin would scold me about this too.’ He closed the fridge. ‘Okay, what am I gunna do...what am I gunna do?’ Lay made his way over to the corner, peeking at Joonxing, who was sitting on the dining table reading. ‘I can’t leave him here to get things like a present and a cake...’

Lay quickly grabbed his cellphone, and made his way over to the other family room. He dialed another of his good friend, Sehun. After a couple of rings, Sehun picked up.

“Yes?”

“Sehun!” He hissed, “It’s Lay --”

“Oh, what’s up? You...sound really panicked.”

“It is because I am!! I’m freaking out!”

“Huh?”

“It is Joonxing’s birthday today!”

“Yeah...I know.”

Lay was taken back at the comment; he glanced at his cellphone, before he conversed with Sehun again. “What do you mean, ‘yeah you know’?”

“Dude...last year we had a birthday party for your son...Joonmyun sent letters like weeks ago that Joonxing’s birthday will be on Sunday the 17th instead on his actual birthday because Joonmyun has work.”

Lay’s jaw dropped. “For real?”

“Lay,” Sehun rubbed his temple with his left hand, “for real, you have the worst memory, yet you are a doctor. How is that even --”

“Okay, nevermind about that,” Lay interrupted. “Joonxing doesn’t want to do anything with me...like he is distancing himself from me.”

“Hm, well, I dunno Lay.” Sehun sighed. “I don’t have a child, so I wouldn’t know.”

“Why don’t you and Jongin have children?!”

“Well, gee, I dunno Lay…I’m still finding my one and only love!” Sehun narrowed his eyes at nothing in particular. He sat on his rugged floors, and grabbed his lint roller. He started to roll his carpets out of frustration. “You are lucky that you found yours!”

“Okay, okay,” Lay calmed himself, “I’m sorry for yelling like that. It’s just...I don’t know what to do, and I don’t want to make any mistakes. I do want him to like me...but…”

As Lay trailed off, Sehun stopped his rolling. “Look, Lay, I know that you want him to like you, but that is something that you have to do on your own. I know that there are books and stuff to teach you how to make your child like you or make them warm up to you, but really, don’t you think it would be better to do it, than actually reading a book telling you how to make your child love you?”

“Wha --”

“What I mean is...it is an experience that you have to learn.”

Lay bit the inside of his cheek. ‘B-but --’

“Since it is his birthday, why not --”

“He won’t do anything with me…he won’t go to the park, or play soccer.”

“Okay,” Sehun pursed his lips out, “why not make a cake?”

“Cake?”

“It is his birthday. Build a cake together. I’m sure Joonxing will like that...or go to the promenade. That new one? He will like that.”

“He will?” Lay asked with hope in his voice.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you try it and call me back.”

“Wha -- Sehun --” With that, Sehun hanged up, leaving Lay in a bind. Lay turned off his cell phone, and placed it in his pocket. ‘Building a cake? T-That does look fun though.’ “Okay,” his mumbled to himself, “We are going to the promenade...then to the store and bake a cake when we get home!”

“Why are you talking to yourself?”

Lay jumped in place and turned around, placing his hand over his heart. “J-Joonxing, you scared me!” The baby Angel raised his eyebrow at the other, crossing his arms. “U-uh, say, really, why don’t we go out?”

“But I don’t wanna go out.”

“Hm, but it is nice outside. Get some of that sun, ya know?” Joonxing sighed; he knew that his stepfather wouldn’t let it go. To humor the other, he agreed, which got Lay excited. “T-Thats great! I’ll go and change, okay?” Lay quickly left the family room, but not before bumping into the corner of one of the small tables. “Ouch!! Ow, ow...o-ow, I’m okay…” Lay gave a weak smile towards his stepson as he limped his way to his and Joonmyun’s room. The baby Angel rolled his eyes, and decided to put on his sandals.

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

Lay drove to a near by, and brand new promenade, where there were various shops around and a gorgeous, water fountain right in the center. As Lay parked the car, both hopped off and started to walk around. Since it was friday, it was packed. Lay looked around, trying to figure out what he should buy for his stepson.

‘Okay, so he likes books...games...should I buy him that pika-pika thing game? What was it called again?’ he squinted his eyes, ‘Monster pockets...or ...’ he scratched his head, ‘I’ll figure it out later.’

Joonxing took a couple of glances at his stepfather, seeing that he was making weird expressions. ‘Is he thinking? Looks like he needs to go and poop or something…’ He turned and focused his attention forward; they kept on walking, looking at the stores that they were passing by.

The baby Angel stopped at a clothing store, and stared in awe at the adorable poncho that was displayed. It was a fluffy, lion colored poncho with bear ears sewn on top of the hood; the hem was poncho, as well as the hem of the hood, was colored beige. To add it off, a red ribbon was right in the middle. Joonxing stepped forward, placing his hands on the glass, staring at it with awe.

Lay was busy having a conversation with his mind, that he completely forgot about his stepson. He looked down, seeing that he wasn’t with him anymore. ‘Oh...my...! Where is Joonxing?!!’ He looked around, scaring people that were walking around him. ‘Oh god, Joonmyun is going to kill -- Joonxing?!’ He looked forward, seeing the baby Angel staring at something at the window. ‘E-eh?’ Lay quickly made his way over. “Joonxing!!”

“Hu?” The baby Angel looked up, seeing his stepfather with a worried expression.

“U-um, you...weren’t beside me...please, Joonxing, if you want to go in a store, please let me know first. Just don’t let me keep on walking,” he knelt down, grabbing his stepson’s hands in his, “Okay? You scared me there for a minute...I thought someone took you.”

Joonxing was taken back at the comment, but gave a simple nod.

“Thank you,” Lay let out a sigh of relief. He looked up at the glass, seeing that it was a clothing store that was mostly targeted for females. They had cute clothes, accessories, and plush toys, “What did you need from here, Joonxing? Or were you just looking?”

“U-um,” Joonxing lowered his head, feeling a bit embarrassed that he liked something that was girly, “I was just looking.” He whispered.

“You sure?” Lay tilted his head. ‘Could it be possible that Joonxing might like girly things? Well, that isn’t a problem really...’ “Do you want to go in?”

“U-uh, no we don’t have to go in.”

“Hm, do you like that poncho?” Lay asked, since it was the only item displayed on the window. ‘That has to be the item that Joonxing was looking at. He must like it.’ The baby Angel looked at the poncho once again; he slowly nodded. Lay smiled, and extended his hand towards his stepson. “I’ll get it for you.”

“H-hu?!”

“Hm,” Lay beamed as he stood up. “That one right?” He pointed at the poncho. Without Joonxing say anything, Lay went inside the store; Joonxing followed.

“Welcome!” A guy with round glasses and a pony tail, said, “Welcome to BANA store, I’m Dongwoo. If you need any help, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Ah, that poncho over by the window.”

“Yes?”

“I would like to purchase that please.”

“Oh, sure,” Dongwoo nodded, “We just got these two weeks ago, this color is quite popular too.” Dongwoo said, as he went over to the window to grab the poncho, “It is our last one.”

“Last one?”

“Hm,” he nodded, “popular.” Dongwoo took it to the register, and scanned in the tag. As the register dingged. “That will be 36,171.26 Won, please.”

Lay grabbed his wallet from his pocket, and handed him a card. Joonxing watched at counter, seeing the transaction happening. Dongwoo looked over, and smiled.

“Is this your child?”

“Hm,” Lay nodded, “Yes, my stepson.”

Dongwoo smiled. “He is precious.”

“T-thank you,” Lay rubbed the back of his neck. As Dongwoo returned the card, he folded the poncho and placed it a bag.

“And here is your receipt.”

“Thank you.” Lay nodded his head towards the other.

“Thank you for stopping by,” Dongwoo waved. “Have a good day now.”

As the two exited from BANA, Lay opened the bag, seeing the poncho that Joonxing liked inside. “It is still warm, so why don’t you wear it when we get home?”

Joonxing nodded. “That makes sense.”

Lay smiled; he placed the bag over his shoulder. “Now, why don’t we walk around some more?” He lent out his hand, for Joonxing to take. Yet, the baby Angel hesitated to respond. Instead, he walked forward. Lay felt sad at he was rejected, but shook it off. ‘Don’t worry, Lay, don’t worry...at least he is speaking with you. That is a great start.’

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

After two hours of walking around, window shopping here and there, Joonxing stopped once again, this time, at a dessert store. Lay stopped as well, looking at the sign.

“Oh? I’ve never seen this before.” It was a ‘build a cake’ shop, very adorable in the inside with its decorations. Joonxing his lips, wanting to have a piece of the cake that was displayed by the window. Lay took notice, and smiled. “Shall we go inside?”

“Hu?” The baby Angel looked over, blinking at the other.

“Lets go inside. It is a build a cake shop, so this is going to be fun, and a bit messy.” He chuckled. Lay opened the door for Joonxing, and quickly, a small bell rang. One of the waiters that Lay presumed, looked up with a smile.

“Greetings! Welcome to SoCakes! Please,” he gestured towards an open table that was near the window, “there are two open seats right here.”

“Ah, great -- Joonxing,” he patted the young Angel on the head, “lets get going.”

Joonxing looked up and nodded his head. They headed towards their table and sat in their seats. The waiter smiled sweetly, and placed napkins in front of them. “Good afternoon!”

“Good afternoon,” Lay replied, “Hm, this is our first time here, so we don’t know much on what to do…”

“Oh, well, all you have to do is look at these.” The waiter grabbed two small size notebooks from his apron pocket. The waiter then explained that they had to pick a cake size and taste - vanilla, chocolate, or any of their choosing - then they have to choose the toppings, fillings, and decor for their cakes that were listed.

“Oh, I see, that is interesting. Okay, thank you.” Lay nodded; he turned towards Joonxing, beaming like a child, “this will be fun, huh?” Joonxing gave a slight nod, and resumed back in reading the menu booklet.

“Any drinks to start you off?”

“Just, um, green tea is fine, what about you, Joonxing?”

“Milk.”

“What kind?” the waiter smiled, “we have strawberry milk...chocolate milk, hm, banana milk, we even have melon milk.”

“Hm, chocolate milk.”

“And chocolate milk it is! I’ll be back with those -- oh, and my name is Junghoon. Just call me if you need anything else.” With a bow, he turned his heel and left.

Lay took a look at the menu, wondering on what toppings he would want; he glanced up at Joonxing, staring intensely at the menu, as if thinking really hard on what he should get.

“Hm, you can get anything you want Joonxing,” Lay said, “it is your birthday afterall so, anything you --”

“Y-you remembered my birthday?” Joonxing quickly looked up when he heard the other spoke about his birthday. Sure, he knew that Lay had some forgetfulness here and there, sometimes all the time, just like last year when he forgot about his birthday.

“Of course I did.” Lay gave a warm smile despite lying to him; he resumed back on the menu, “anything you want okay?”

Joonxing hummed, “Okay.”

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

“And here you go.” Junghoon placed the toppings for the cakes on the table while another waiter handed them their own cakes; Lay having a strawberry flavored and Joonxing with vanilla. “If anything else, just let me know.” With that, he left.

“Well, shall we dig in?”

“But the toppings!” Joonxing pointed at the various toppings, from fruit toppings, to chocolate chips, to crushed walnuts.

“Oh, right, right!” Lay grabbed a spoonful of the buttercream frosting and placed it in a small cup that they were given. He grabbed red color dye and placed three drops. He started to mix with his spoon, while Joonxing raised his eyebrow. The baby Angel then sat on his knees, looking over what Lay was doing. The older caught the attention he was getting, and stopped. The baby Angel looked up, wondering why he stopped.

“What are you doing?” Joonxing asked, tilting his head back and forth, “why are you coloring that?”

“Oh, well, it is something fun, ya know?” Lay grabbed the color dyes, “it is something fun to do, and it give a bit of color to the plain buttercream color.”

“Won’t it taste bad?” The baby Angel gave a disgusting expression, which Lay found adorable.

“No, no, it won’t taste bad. The taste is still here, it’s just that the color is very different,” he grabbed the blue and green dye, “your favorite color is a light blue right?”

“Hm, it is aqua.”

“Here, put some buttercream frosting in the cup.” Lay handed Joonxing the cup, and the baby Angel started to place large amounts of buttercream in it. Lay then instructed the younger to place four drops of blue and two drops of green.

“Then…I mix it?”

“Exactly!’ Lay beamed, “You got it.”

Joonxing smiled, and grabbed his spoon; he started to stir the buttercream, and eventually the colors started to change. Joonxing giggled, very much fascinated with the color change. “It is aqua!!”

“There! Now, you can put it on your cake.”

“Can we make more colors?”

“Of course. What color should we do next?”

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

After having a great time with his son, Lay was absolutely sure that Joonxing was warming up to him. It made him happy. “I just have to keep it up…” Lay whispered to himself. “You are doing great, Lay, Joonxing is now talking and smiling at you. So that is good!”

“Are you talking to me?”

Lay jumped a bit, looking at his rear window at his stepson. “U-um --”

“Why do you always talk to yourself?”

“Erm, well, I was just...I tend to talk out loud, when really I shouldn't.”

Joonxing raised his eyebrow, before looking out the car window. Lay let out a small exhale, before mentally banging his head. Just within a few seconds he made himself look very uncool.

10 minutes passed, and Lay repeatedly blinked his eyes. ‘Oh...cake mix.’ He looked at the rear view mirror. “Joonxing,” he called, causing the baby Angel to look at him, “lets make a cake when we get home...and eat it with mommy.”

Joonxing eyes sparkled. “Really?”

“Hm,” he nodded, “Mommy would like that, don’t you think?”

It took awhile before Joonxing smiled; he gave a nod. “Yeah!”

“To the store?”

“To the store!” Joonxing pointed out with his finger.

The two shared a laugh, and the more Lay started to feel confident once again.

They arrived at the grocery store within 15 minutes; they got out of the car, and what shocked Lay a bit was that Joonxing grabbed his hand. Butterflies flew in his stomach, and he couldn’t hold in his smiles. Joonxing spoke, which broke the other’s thoughts. “Hm, what was that?”

“I said what flavor are we getting?”

“Oh, hm, you choose. It is your birthday...what type of cake should we eat later?”

Joonxing pursed his lips, thinking of what type of cake he should eat. “Ah-um, can we make raspberry cake?”

“Sure, and we get some toppings okay?”

The two did their shopping, getting some various fruits, chocolate chips, and crushed almonds. They paid for their items, and started to head home. As Lay checked the clock on the car, he knew that Joonmyun would be home within 4 hours. ‘That should be enough time...right? Yeah, I’m sure.’ He looked at the rear view mirror seeing that Joonxing was dosing off here and there. ‘He must be tired.’ A small smile rose on lips. ‘Today was a good start.’

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

Once they arrived, Joonxing helped and grabbed the bag with the poncho inside. He has yet to say thank you to his stepfather when he bought him something that he wanted. He bit his lip; here was Lay, being nice and full of smiles, while Joonxing would push him away, not really wanting to contact with him. Yes, he was scared that his stepfather would walk out on them, just like his biological father did to him and his mother. He didn’t like the sad nights, seeing his mother trying to prevent himself from crying, and him, too young to do anything to make it better.

Lay was trying to be a good father towards him, unlike his biological father. 'I should --'

His eyes blinked and watched as Lay grabbed the other bags, attempting to close the car door with his foot. Joonxing took the opportunity and helped close the door for him. Lay was surprised, but smiled nonetheless. “Thank you, Joonxing, you are a big help!”

“Y-You’re welcome.”

“Now, lets make this cake hm? Before mommy comes home.” He fished out his keys and unlocked the door to their house. Lay rushed to the kitchen, with Joonxing at tow. They had a few hours to make the cake, and for sure they wanted to make it perfect.

“Can I help?” Joonxing asked, in which Lay nodded his head.

“Of course. That would be nice of you,” Lay patted his shoulder, “Thank you.” He grabbed the box of mix and read the instructions. They were simple enough, and so Lay started to pour the contents in a bowl. He instructed Joonxing to make sure to mix it well. The baby Angel did just that, and mixed, while Lay started to cut up the fruits, placing them in a bowl.

“I’m done.” Joonxing held up the bowl and showed it to Lay.

“Very good, Joonxing, now, which pan shall we use -- oh! I remember, we have different pan shapes.” Lay headed straight for the cabinet, and took out three different shapes, a bunny head, a rilakkuma head, and a cat head. “Which one do you want to use?”

“Hm, that one.” He pointed at the bunny shaped pan.

“And the bunny it is!” Lay placed the remaining in the cabinet. He glanced at the clock, seeing that they have a few hours left. “We should get going, Joonxing, or else the cake won’t be done when mommy gets home.”

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

“Ah, Joonmyun,” the said male looked over, hearing his name being called, “time to head home, huh?” His co-worker, Jiwook, caught up with the other, swinging his carry-on bag over his shoulder. Joonmyun nodded, yawning a bit. Even though it wasn’t his regular shift, the hours were long as always.

“Yeah...hm, though I feel extremely bad…I had to work on my son’s birthday.”

“Oh, you should have taken a day off.”

“I know, but the extra cash would be good. And,” Joonmyun started glancing at Jiwook, “it would be a good time for some father and son bonding.”

“They aren’t doing well?”

“Hm, Joonxing is still a bit distant with Lay because of what happened with my first husband...so, I thought that this would be a great opportunity for them to bond.”

Jiwook placed his hand on his own cheek, nodding his head to what Joonmyun was saying. “I see your point. Hm, isn’t your husband a bit of a scattered brained?”

“Ah...sometimes...not all the time.” ‘I just hope that Lay didn’t misplace my son...or something.’

The more he thought about it, the more he started to imagine scenarios of Lay being a scatter brain, and leaving his son somewhere. Jiwook caught the worried expression on the other’s face, and was about to ask what was the problem, but before he could, Joonmyun started to pick up his pace.

“I have to go -- see you next week!!”

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

Joonxing smiled as he started to spread some of the buttercream that is now colored pale purple all over the bunny shaped cake. Lay looked through the small drawers to find some candles to use, and to his luck he found some candles, but he was short by 3. With a click of his tongue, he shook his head. ‘These will have to do.’ He turned around, seeing Joonxing, with a bright smile on his face, sprinkling some crushed almonds on top.

“Looks good.” The baby Angel nodded in response. He looked up at Lay with a bright smile on his face. Lay was sure that he was having a good time. “Hm, we are short with 3 candles, but that should be okay,” he placed the candles on the table, “Isn’t this nice? You made your cake.” Lay chuckled.

“Not without your help, papa.” Joonxing said casually, clapping his hands clean. Lay widen his eyes, feeling as if his heart was going to stop.

‘H-he called me...papa,’ he still couldn’t process what just happened, that he stood there in his spot, with his jaw hanging low. Joonxing took notice, raising his eyebrow at his papa.

The baby Angel gave a confused expression, yet he decided to shrug it off, since he has seen his papa’s expression like that multiple times before. ‘It must be normal.’ Joonxing got off from his seat, and took of his apron that Lay told him to wear. “Papa, I’m gunna change and wear my poncho that you bought for me, okay?”

Lay broke his thoughts, and quickly blushed; he nodded his head as he took off his apron as well. “Okay, I’ll put your cake in the fridge first okay? So it will stay cool for a bit.”

“‘Kay.” With that, Joonxing ran to the living room to get his poncho to change into, to show his mama what his papa bought.

As the baby Angel left, Lay let out a sigh of relief. He placed the apron on the table beside him, and fished out his cellphone. He called Sehun, wanting  to tell him about his achievements.

“Hello?”

“Sehun, it’s Lay, I did it!”

“Did what?”

“I got Joonxing to warm up to me!”

“Oh? Congrats, Lay…see, you were able to do it...worrying for nothing. So, how did you do it? Did you follow my advice?”

“Hm,” he nodded, “yeah, I did...and we made a cake,” Lay looked over his shoulder to see if Joonxing was around, “and he called me ‘papa’ for the first time.”

Sehun sat up from the couch he was sitting on, and lowered the volume of his television. “He did? That is like big for you!”

“I know! I seriously thought that my heart was gunna stop.” Lay placed his hand over his heart. It was still beating as fast as it was. “I’m so...s-so happy right now…” He said, choking up a bit. “I really didn’t think Joonxing would call me papa...I thought he would call me by my first name, and...and it was just surprising now -- Oh! I can’t wait to tell Joonmyun when he gets home!” Sehun smiled, nodding at his friend’s excitedness.

“Look, Lay, I’m gunna go, but I’ll see you and the family on Sunday.”

“Right, okay.”

“Bye.”

With that, Lay hanged up, placing his cellphone in his pocket. He heard little footsteps running back to the kitchen, that he turned around, seeing Joonxing in his poncho that Lay purchased at the store. “Oh! You look so cute!” Lay knelt down, smoothing out the poncho, “And it fits you, thank goodness.”

“Aren’t poncho one size fits all?”

“Hm, maybe some are...but this one is just right.” Lay smiled, standing up, and dusting his pant legs.

"Erm, papa...thank you for buying it for me."

"You're welcome," he patted the younger on the head, “Em, now mommy is coming home soon, then after din --” The older widen his eyes, “Oh no! I forgot about dinner! I didn’t even start with it yet!!” Lay scratched his head furiously, “Your mom is going to drop kick me!!”

Joonxing blinked his eyes, before grabbing his papa’s hands, trying to calm him down. “Don’t worry, papa, I’ll help you okay? With help, we can get the work done twice as fast!”

“Hm,” Lay composed himself, and nodded, “you are right.” He glanced at the clock, seeing that they had an hour and a half let. “What should we make -- or rather yet, what would you like to have for dinner?”

“Um,” Joonxing thought of what was easy for Lay to make; something quick and easy, “pasta?”

“Pasta? You sure?”

“With the little bows?” The baby Angel, pointed at the bow on his poncho, “like this?”

“We still have some of those, yeah, yeah okay, I can make that!” Lay nodding his head. As Lay turned his heel, he started to gather the ingredients to make the pasta for his baby Angel and for the more bigger Angel. “You can rest in the living room, Joonxing, I think I got this.”

“You sure?”

“Of course, and really, the birthday boy should be resting, not helping,” Lay chuckled, “so just rest in the living room, okay?”

A slight puff of the cheeks formed on Joonxing. “Well, okay…” he backed up, and started to head to the living room, however, instead of sitting down on the couches, he peeked from the corner, watching Lay rush in cooking.

As Lay started to get dinner ready, he felt as if he was being watched, like hawk. He looked over his shoulders, seeing Joonxing staring at him. “Erm...don’t want to be in the living room?” Joonxing shook his head, “Wanna help me?” the baby Angel nodded while Lay beamed, “Okay.”

Joonxing smiled, and ran back in the kitchen to help his papa work on the pasta.

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

Joonmyun opened the door, and called out for his husband, and his little Angel. “Lay? Joonxing.” Joonmyun closed the door behind him and took of his shoes.

Little footsteps were heard and Joonmyun smiled; he knew that it was his little Angel. “Mommy!” Joonxing ran up to his mother, and hugging him tightly, “You’re home!!”

The bigger Angel knelt down, smiling brightly at his son; he pushed his son’s hair back, admiring his angelic face. His attention quickly went to the poncho that he was wearing that was being covered up by his apron. “Is that...a poncho? Why are you wearing a poncho? It is summer time…”

“I know! But papa bought it for me as a birthday present and it is cold inside our house --”

“Papa? W-which papa are you --”

“Papa Lay-Lay!” Joonxing turned around and started to head back to the kitchen to see if his papa set the table already. Joonmyun was shocked; shocked to know that his son just called his husband ‘papa’. He stood up and made his way over to the kitchen.

“Wha? What is going on?”

Both Joonxing and Lay looked over their shoulders seeing Joonmyun a bit confused. “Ah,” Lay quickly took off his apron, placing it on the hook that was near the fridge, “I forgot to make dinner, so I scrambled. I made pasta with bow ties, of course, Joonxing’s request.” He patted him on the head.

‘He forgot about dinner...hm, man...’ Joonmyun scratched the back of his neck, “Thats great, but why does it feel as if it is my birthday that we are celebrating?” He joked, as he approached the table with the delicious food all prepared.

“No way, mommy, it is my birthday that we are celebrating.” Joonxing clarified, as he sat on his seat, “do you like my poncho, mommy?” He showed by expanding his arms to fully show the design, “isn’t it cool?”

“Really cool,” he touched the hem of the poncho to get the feel of the fabric, “what did you all do today?”

“We went out to the promenade...papa bought me this...and we went to a cake shop where you build your own mini cake! It was fun! Then we went to the grocery store, and we made a cake when we got home!”

“Huh? That is a lot of cake intake, Joonxing…”

“But papa and I wanted to make one, so we can eat cake together as a family!”

Lay felt his cheeks turn a tinge of pink. ‘He said ‘family’...oh my god, my heart is going to explode!!’ he bit his lips, trying not to get overly excited to the point that makes him look uncool.

“Is that so?” Joonmyun chuckled, “That is sweet, what kind of cake did you make with papa?”

“We made raspberry cake! I chose the flavor...and it is shaped like a bunny’s head.” Joonxing then continued to explain what he and Lay did, while Joonmyun nodded along.

“Sounds like all you guys had a great time.”

“We did!” Joonxing beamed; he looked over at Lay, who smiled as well. “Papa, you are so cool!”

The comment shot Lay right in the heart, that he tried all his might to not fall on the ground. “P-Papa loves you too, Joonxing.”

“Forever?”

“Of course.”

Joonxing’s smile slowly turned into a more serious expression. He stared at Lay. “You won’t leave, right…?”

Joonmyun was taken back at the question that his son said. He was too shocked to even say anything, that instead he watched the two. Lay was, as well, taken back at what the other asked. “I will never leave you, Joonxing, or your mother,” he approached him, getting on his eye level. He saw how the other was being anxious in knowing the answer, “I love you two too much to leave. And I am nothing like your biological father...okay?” Joonxing bit the inside if his cheek, but gave a simple nod, “Good.” He leaned over and gave the baby Angel a peck on the head, “Happy birthday...my son.”

Joonxing smiled once more, and hugged Lay around the neck.

The older Angel felt his heart warm up; he tried his best not to get teary-eyed, but he was glad that his son and husband were getting along.

“Now,” Lay said standing up straight, “Lets eat?”

“Yeah!!” Joonxing sat properly in his seat, while Lay served the food to Joonxing and Joonmyun. The trio ate happily, talking and saying out jokes here and there. Soon, it was time for cake. Lay brought out the cake that he and the baby Angel made. Joonmyun was impressed that he praised the two for not damaging his kitchen.

“Because if you two did, I would have to kick your bottom.” He directed his voice at Lay, who widen his eyes; he covered his in the process.

“Why me?”

“Just ‘cause. Anyway, lets dig in?” Joonmyun grabbed a knife, before putting it down, “Opp, forgot to sing happy birthday!”

“And the candles...erm, well just one candle, since we don’t have the right number, but it still works,” Lay grabbed the candle, and started to place it on the cake, “There,” he then grabbed a lighter, and started to light the candle.

It glowed bright, which got the Joonxing to smile even wider. Joonmyun and Lay started to sing. He glanced over at his mother, who returned angelic smile towards him. He then looked over at his stepfather -- his papa -- giving him a warm smile. Lay brushed Joonxing’s hair back with his fingers, chuckling a bit.

“Make a big wish, okay?”

Joonxing nodded; he closed his eyes, wishing hard, and hoping that his wish will come true.

‘Erm, it isn't a wish but a thank you. A 'thank you' because...papa Lay is the kind of papa that I’ve waited for,' he smiled, 'a papa that is caring and loving. Even though papa Lay is a bit of a wierdo...but he is cool nonetheless.' he giggled, before blowing out the candle.

--- (JOONXING) --- (FAMILY) --- (JOONXING) ---

the ending was....EHHHHHHHHHH.......not my best. i maybe have to re-look at this sometime. maybe. it is 3;10am so....yeah lol

any mistakes? im sorry about that.

NOTE(S):

reasons why im not updating as much [x]
types of doctors: [
x]


CAMEO(S):