service {YITAO}

EXO’s children short story collection

Service

Yitao centric

slice of life, hurt and comfort

inspired by: a boy receiving his father's flag [states]

** it will not be based upon Korean military service. i'll be basing it on the states - i did brief research because i am not in the military - if it is starting to sounds way off, then imagine that it is right ==;; after all it is a fiction based **

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

13 year old, Yitao continued to stare out from his front house window, resting his chin on the couch. He was not staring at anything in particular, but just the houses from across the street and the people walking by with their dogs or friends. It was a friday; nothing special.

"Yitao."

The panda looking boy, turned around to see his mother, Tao, holding onto his sleepy, 4 year old baby brother, Huangjin Long, or baby Jin as Yitao likes to call him.

"Yes?"

"What are you doing?" His mother asked, as he sat right next to him, also looking out to see what was so fascinating. "Just staring?"

"Hm." He nodded. "Just...waiting for dad."

Tao slowly started to smile, adjusting baby Jin in his arms, so that his little head was resting on his left shoulder. "You know that he isnt' coming home this friday. It is next friday." He chuckled.

"I know, but...maybe he will come home early." Yitao fixed his position, and started to rub his eyes. His father, Kris, was called into service when he was only 9 years old, just the time when Tao was pregnant with his baby brother; talk about good timing. His father, obviously, sadden that he wasn't there to see his youngest being born, but was glad to know via skype that their youngest was a healthy baby boy. Unlike Jin, Yitao misses his father deeply; he missed the days were they would hangout, go to the park together, wake up on saturday mornings to make breakfast and watch saturday morning cartoons, and among other things. He did miss those times, but ever since he was called into service, it just hasn't been the same. Though, he wasn't the only one suffering; his best friend, Jongsoo, who lived across the street from him, his father was also called into service. His father and Jongsoo's were best of friends, and were in the same unit together. If anything went wrong to either of them, both of them promised to inform the other's family. "Why is dad enroll in the military?" Yitao asked as he glanced over to Tao. "Why does he do that? Doesn't he know that I miss him? That we miss him?"

Tao bit his lips; he knew that being without his father for four years is pretty brutal. Yitao was still young, and doesn't quite understand what Kris is doing, is for the safety for all. "Yitao...you know why --"

"But...b-but I need him more!" Yitao said with a shaky voice. "I want him home...I don't want him to be in the service anymore." He started to rub his eyes to prevent his tears from falling. "I want dad to come home."

"And he will be home." Tao leaned over to give his eldest a hug. "Wait one more week okay. One more...then he will be home."

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

It was saturday morning, Yitao's most hated day of the week. It just reminded him that his father wasn't here to make breakfast together, and to watch saturday morning cartoons. Just like any other saturday, Yitao woke up at 6am, making his way down stairs to start breakfast. Before he could start cooking, he would turn on the little stereo that was placed on the kitchen counter. It was old, but it still worked. Inside was the mixed CD that him and his father made; it was a couple of songs that they would sing together when they cooked. It always made Yitao happy, but ever since then, he just listen to the song while he cooked.
As he pressed the button, he frowned at the song. Just like the other songs, this one was special. He took out the pan from under the kitchen counter, placing it on the stove; heading over to the fridge, he grabbed 4 eggs, and oil from the shelf. As always, he started to cook to the sounds of the song. He was close into being done with the eggs, that he started to cook the hot dogs, and toasting the bread.

'I better get mom and Jin.'

Yitao closed the stove and placed the plates on the wooden table that they had in the kitchen. With a nod, he made his way down the hall to get his mother and baby brother, who slept in his parents' room. As he opened the door, he slightly smiled at how his mother was hugging his baby brother. Slowly approaching them, he knelt down and nudged his mother gently, telling him that breakfast was ready.

"Hu?" Tao slowly opened his eyes, and gave a small nod. "O-okay. Thank you for making breakfast."

Yitao gave a slight nod. "It was no problem." He stood up and picked up his baby brother, who was happy to see him. "Breakfast time?" Baby Jin nodded and grabbed his older brother's hand; they left, just leaving Tao to get few minutes more of rest.

"Why isn't mommy coming down for breakfast?" Jin asked as Yitao pulled a chair out for him to sit on.

"Because mommy is still a bit sleepy. Let him rest okay?" Yitao asked with a small smile. He pulled a chair for himself and sat down next to him. The two ate as the music continued to flow through the kitchen. Jin nodded his head along to the bouncy tune; once he swallowed his food, he asked Yitao why every saturday he plays music. It struck Yitao inside a bit. "U-um, it is because…because before you were born, dad and I would, every saturday, play music and cook breakfast."

Jin looked in awe. "Really?"

"Yeah. Even sing too. Though, we are both terrible at singing to be honest."

"Hm!" Jin smiled, making Yitao do the same. "Where is daddy?"

Again, Yitao was struck inside. He gulped before responding. "Dad…is in the service."

"What…what does that mean?"

"M-means that he is fighting for our country."

Jin squinted his eyes, not quite understanding what his brother was trying to say, but nodded anyway. For Jin, it was obvious that he doesn't know what his father looks like. Only pictures were given to him, but it wasn't the same than having the real Kris in front of him. "Is daddy nice?"

"Of course."

"Hm, is daddy…cool?"

"Oh yeah." Yitao nodded. "Cooler."

"Daddy loves mommy?"

Yitao nodded. "Of course. And he loves me and you. A lot."

"Like this big?" Jin spread his arms as far as he could. Yitao chuckled at the cute action; he simply gave a nod, making Jin happy. "Yay!!"

"You know, dad is coming hope friday. You will get to see him then."

Jin beamed, and continued to eat his breakfast. By then, Tao came down the stairs and smiled at his two sons. He just wished that the other was here; just like his eldest, he missed him dearly, and prays to the higher beings that he is safe and will return home safe.

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

"I can't wait for our dads to come back home." Yitao nodded in agreement at what his best friend, Jongsoo, was saying. "I missed him a lot."

"Same."

It was monday already, and the two were walking back home from school. As they continued to walk, they decided to stop by the small mart that was at the corner before heading into the neighborhood. The little 'ding' was made as they entered, and was greeted by the cashier, Yookwon, who knew the boys since they were young. "Hey guys." He said, as he leaned over the counter. "We have new sweets that delivered this morning."

"What kind?" Jongsoo asked as he leaned over the counter.

"Well, we sushi candy pops…40 piece in a bag, um, kompeito prickly hard candy balls, various kasugai gummy candy, 4 new pocky flavors…cookies 'n' cream panda pocky, glico mint chocolate pocky, chocolate tiramisu toppo, and meiji green tea fran."

"Oh!" Jongsoo beamed as he looked over his shoulder. "They have that panda pocky!" Yitao nodded, slightly chuckling as well.

"Well, it is over there fellas."Yookwon gestured to the candy aisle. "And since I'm happy today, I'll let you guys get another candy for free." Both boys widen their eyes, and thanked the other for his generosity. "No problem guys." He shooed the two to get their candy, in which they didn't hesitate. As Jongsoo entered the candy aisle, he picked two of the pockies, while Yitao picked one of the panda pocky and one of the kasigai gummy candy. They paid their sweets and left.

"That was awesome of Yookwon to do that!" Jongsoo said as he opened the pocky box.

"Hm." Yitao nodded in agreement. They continued to chat until they reached their respective houses. As they bit farewell, Yitao made his way over to front door, grabbing his key from his pant's pocket.

"Mom?" He called as he entered. "Mom…I'm home!"

"Kitchen!" His mother responded. Yitao placed his navy randoseru style bag on the floor as well as his sweets on the near by table. He made his way over to the kitchen to see his mother and Jin eating their late afternoon snack. "Hm, Yitao." Tao dusted his hands together. "I have some saewookkang." He gestured to the bowl that was in the middle of the kitchen table. "Want some? I can also make you some milk honey as well."

"Hm! Hm!" Jin picked one saewookkang and waved it around. "It is good! Eat it!!"

Yitao smiled and made his way over to sit next to Jin. The three chatted among each other, until Yitao decided that it was time to do homework.

"Why?" Jin whined wanting to play more with his older brother.

"Because, I have to…what about you? Doesn't pre-school have homework?" He chuckled, in which Jin puffed his cheeks and shook his head.

"B-but I want to play with you!!"

"Later. After I finished homework." Yitao replied, finishing his milk honey drink. "Thank you for the food mom." He said.

"No problem." Tao smiled. "Study hard."

Yitao nodded and stood up from his chair. As he pushed his chair in, he went back to get his back pack, and started to head to his room. Once he closed his door, he made his way to his desk, opening his bag to take out his school books, and notebooks. He sighed. 'Okay, here we go.' Yitao started to work, and after an hour, he looked up from his desk, trying to find his korean to chinese dictionary for his language studies class. His eyes crossed over a picture frame that was placed on top of his desk shelf; it was a picture of his parents and himself, just outside their house. The young Panda picked up the picture frame.

'I'm studying hard dad…I'll make you and mom very proud of me.'

He smiled before placing it back to continue on with his work.

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

Days passed and it was thursday; Yitao was getting all excited since tomorrow was the day that his father will return to him and his family. Yitao was currently working on homework, working as fast, but making sure that his work was correct. His mother told him that he wouldn't have to go school tomorrow, and that he will play a little hooky. But for this occasion, it was special, and Yitao was glad that he gets to miss school. He started to clean up the house, making sure that it was in tip-top shape for when his father comes back home.

"YiYi! YiYi!!" Jin called out for his brother, who turned around.

"Yes?"

"I made this picture for daddy! Do you think he will like it?" Jin asked cutely.

"Of course he will." Yitao knelt down to see what Jin drew. "This is very good Jin." He smiled as he saw two tall stick figures and two mini ones, all displaying a happy face. A sun on the corner of the page, and rainbows in the background. "Dad will love it."

"I hope so!" Jin said, as he grabbed the drawing back before running to the kitchen. Yitao stood up and beamed.

"So cute." He continued to clean, thinking about what he is going to tell his father. There was just much to tell. 'I start out with how well I'm doing in school!' He beamed. 'I've been getting good marks…I know he will be proud of me with this!'

"Yitao." The young panda turned to see his mother. "Wanna take a break? I made some food."

"Sure!" Yitao placed his rag on the table, making his way over to Tao. As he entered the kitchen, his younger brother started to bounce in his seat.

"YiYi!! YiYi, mommy made our favie!!" He pointed with his cake fork. "Ji dan gao!!"

"Hm." Yitao nodded as he sat next to his brother. "This is dad's favorite actually."

"I wanted to make it today…to see if I perfected it." Tao beamed. "Tell me what you think of it okay. I want it to be perfect for when daddy gets home."

"Sure thing!" Yitao took a knife and started to cut a small piece for Jin, who puffed his cheeks, saying that he wanted more. "Eat this small one first." He then placed a piece for himself. As they poked their piece of cake, they bit into it. Jin squealed in happiness, as Yitao nodded in approval. "It is good!"

"Ha!" Tao clapped his hands together. "Great."

Yitao continued to eat. 'Dad will surely like it!' "Mom, when is dad coming home? Like, what time?"

"Sometime in the afternoon." Tao smiled. "At least that is what he said before he left."

"Yay!! I get to meet daddy!!" Jin bounced in his seat.

"Yup." Tao nuzzled against his youngest head. "You get to meet daddy for the first time."

"Daddy will like me right?" Jin patted his round cheeks, in which the two awed at his cuteness.

"Yup. He will squeal on how adorable you are." The Panda kissed the youngest on his cheeks.

Yitao beamed in happiness. 'I can't wait for tomorrow.'

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

Yitao blinked a bit before he sat up from his bed. 'Hm…what time…time!' He quickly checked his clock to see that it is 10:25am. 'Wow…I woke up late…' Yitao thought, as he got up from the bed. Soon, a smile laid on his face. 'Dad is coming home!!' He ran to his drawers and grabbed some clothes before heading to the bathroom to get dressed.

He wanted to wash up as quickly as he can, wanting to make some food when his father comes. As he got out of bathroom, he rushed to his room to fix his hair and put on some socks. After he fixed himself up, he closed his bedroom door, and rushed to the kitchen, only to be surprised to see his mother preparing food.

"Oh! Good morning." Tao beamed as he placed the last batch of scrabbled eggs in a bowl.

"M-mom? B-but I always cook breakfast."

"I know, but when I woke up at 6:15 to check up on you, you were still sleeping…so I wanted to let you sleep for a bit longer. I hope that it was okay."

"Y-yeah. I'm just surprised. I mean, you don't like waking up early." He chuckled.

"I know." Tao giggled. "Thought that it was a nice change. Um, could you be a dear and get Jin all ready? He is still sleeping."

"Alright." Yitao nodded and headed towards the bedroom to get Jin. Just like he expected, he was curled up with pillows in either side of him. He made way over to the drawers to gather Jin's clothes, picking out the cutest ones, overalls with a simple tee, and knee high socks. "Jin?"

"Hm." Jin cutely yawned, and turned over to his other side.

"Jin, time to get dressed. Dad will be coming soon."

Slowly, but surely, Jin sat up, rubbing both of his eyes. Yitao couldn't help, but chuckle at how his hair was sticking all over the place. "Lets get you cleaned up."

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

After 15 minutes, Jin was all cleaned up and ready. The youngest quickly ran to the living room, jumping on the couch to see if he could see his father coming in from the drive way.

"Jin," Tao came in, picking up his youngest. "Eat breakfast first."

"B-but, I keep a look out for when daddy comes." He pointed at the window.

"I know, but you have to eat first." He nuzzled his head against the other's. "Then you can go back to your post." Jin nodded his head, and wiggled in place, telling Tao to put him down. Jin rushed to the kitchen, to see his older brother already eating.

"Hurry! We have to eat so we can go back to our post!" Jin struggled a bit getting on top of his seat, but was finally able to get on his seat. Yitao could only smile. Of course, he was excited to see his father, after four years he was able to come home and be with his family.

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

It was already 3 in the afternoon, and still Kris hasn't come home, which made Yitao a bit worried. Tao was in the kitchen, preparing some tea, while Jin was taking a nap in the living room. Yitao sighed. 'What is taking dad so long?' He brought his knees up to his chest, letting his head fall on his knees. 'Dad, there are so many things that I want to tell you…especially, that I missed you…a-and that I don't want you to be in the service anymore…'

Yitao's heart jumped when he heard the doorbell ring. He quickly jumped, and headed straight for the door. Without even checking the eye hole of the door, he opened it; to his surprise, it wasn't his father.

"U-uncle Jongin?"

Before him was his best friend's father, wearing his military uniform, and holding onto the nation's flag, all neatly folded. Yitao was deeply confused; what was his uncle doing here?

The man before him let out a shaky breath, before kneeling down front of him.

"Yitao."

'W-why is he…trembling.' "W-where," He choked. "W-where is my d-dad?"

Jongin bit his lips, trying his hardest to suppress tears falling from his eyes. He just couldn't speak; instead, he opened the folded flag, making Yitao's eyes widen. In front of him, were his father's medals, but more importantly a bracelet that Yitao clearly remembered that he gave to him before he left to go into his service, covered with dry blood.

Slowly, Yitao shook his head. "N-no…"

"Daddy!!"

Yitao whipped his head back to see Jin with a happy smile; he watched as his baby brother run up to his uncle. Of course, he didn't know Jongin either since he left with Kris to fulfill their duties. Jin leaped forward, wrapping his arms around Jongin's neck. The older was surprised, wondering who the child was, but remembered then and there, that it was Kris' youngest son, the son that he wasn't able to see being born. And now, he will never get to see him face to face. It started to break Jongin's heart.

"Wow, daddy…you changed a lot. You don't look like anything from the picture in the house." Jin beamed.

Jongin could feel a lump in his throat. He slowly pulled away from Jin, trying his best to be strong. "I-I'm sorry." Jin tilted his head. "I'm not your dad."

"Hu?" Jin pouted and looked at Yitao, who still bore a shocked expression. He tugged on Yitao's hand. "Why did he say that?" Jin then looked at the man that he now considers a stranger, and his mother always said not to talk to strangers. He tugged again. "Why did he say that he isn't daddy?"

"B-because…" Yitao started to feel his throat close up. "B-because…he isn't dad."

Soon, the sound of a plate being shattered filled their ears. The three looked to see Tao shaking, almost in tears.

Jongin stood up, unable to hold his tears anymore. "I'm…I-I'm sorry Tao."

Yitao looked away when he started to see his mother cry. Today was supposed to be the day his father comes home, greets everyone with hugs, and laughter was supposed to fill the house. Jin was supposed to meet his father for the first time, his mother and his father were supposed to give each other kisses like they used to, and Yitao, all he wanted to say was 'I missed you, welcome home dad!'.

Now none of the three will ever get to do that.

The young panda started to tremble; thoughts ran in his mind. Why did it have to his father, why did it have to happen to his family. Soon, tears started to run down his cheeks; he quickly covered his face with his hands, sobbing quietly. Jin looked up with a worried face; tugged on his brother's shirt, repeatedly asking what was wrong.

Yitao knelt down and gave Jin a hug, holding him tight as he let his right hand rest on the back of his brother's head.

"W-why are you crying YiYi." Jin asked, clutching onto his brother's shoulder. The older shook his head, whispering that he was sorry. "W-why are you saying sorry?"

"Because…b-because, you won't be able to see dad at all."

"Hu?"

"I'm sorry Jin…dad isn't coming home."

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

4 hours. It took 4 hours for Jongin to explain what happened. From his story, about two days before, himself and Kris were supposed to go home, but it was unfortunate that their unit was surprised bombed and shooting came out from the rebels, killing 15 people, and injuring 4. Jongin continued, saying that Kris actually saved him, pushing him out of the way, and earning multiple shot wounds, on his chest and legs. With the massive blood loss, he wasn't able to make it. Repeatedly, Jongin blamed himself; he thought that he was careless. If he wasn't, both of them would be alive, but unfortunately, it took one of them.

"I'm so sorry." Jongin glanced down at the table, not wanting to see the family's faces. "It is all my fault."

"N-no." Tao placed his hand over Jongin's. "Its…i-its… --" Jongin pulled his hand away, knowing that Tao was just being nice. He felt that he didn't deserve it. He opened his military jacket, taking out a letter. Jongin handed it over to Tao, catching him and Yitao's attention.

"W-we made a promise…if something ever happened to one of us…w-we --"

"Would present the flag to the family." Tao finished.

"T-that and…give this letter. I did the same…Kris still has mine in his military uniform…and I kept Kris'. For you."

"W-What is this though?"

Jongin let out a shaky breath. "Last words." He said softly, wiping his eyes. "U-um…there are three letters in there…one for each of you." He stood up from his seat. "I'll be going now." Tao stood up as well, leading Jongin out the door.

Yitao and Jin were left at the kitchen table. The young panda slowly reached for the envelope, opening it slowly. Indeed, there were three letters for each of them.

'D-dad's handwriting.'

He placed the first letter on the side, since it was for his mother. The middle was for him, while the last was for the youngest.

"YiYi…what does mine say?" He asked as he scooted close to his older brother.

"H-hold on okay. Lemme read mine first." Yitao glanced over the letter.

'To m-my eldest son…Yitao,' The young panda could feel himself choke up as he read the following words.

"Since you are reading this, it means that I have already passed away, but please don't cry. I need you to be a big boy and be strong in my place. I know it is a big responsibility, but your mother and brother need you more than ever.

First off, please understand I didn't pass away to get away from you, or from mom or Huangjin. Don't think of that…I served to protect our nation for your future and for everyone's future.

As I am writing this, it hurts me so much…even though I am well and alive as I write it now, but it hurts me thinking of your uncle Jongin giving it to you.

 

I am really going to miss the days that we go to the park, go to the movies, working on the yard, those were great times. My favorite, though, is probably waking up on saturdays with you to make breakfast. Even though my singing is horrible, it was just fun to sing with you and see your smiling face. I guess, it is time to find someone else to do this with. I'm mad at myself to be honest. I won't be able to see you go off to high school…to celebrate the mark of your 16th year…I won't be able to see you getting married...I'll be missing out on a lot of things...I do have one message that I can pass down onto you from my past experience...your future partner...with whoever you choose, boy or girl, I expect you to be a gentleman. Treat them like they are your greatest treasure, and if they are the one, never let them go. I almost lost your mother to someone else...because of my idiotic actions...I don't want you to do the same. Remember to be kind and honest, thankful and generous...in what you do. I know you will make the right choices - think before you act. You are a smart kid, and I know you will be able to overcome your problems.

Please watch over mom. Make sure that he stays happy alright?

I wish that I could be there…to hug mom, to hug you, and Huangjin.

Remember that I love you all. You three are my greatest treasures and I will always be with you all. Not physically, but in heart. 

I love you my son and always remember that.

Your father, 

Kris

Yitao was now a crying mess, he tighten the letter in his hands, covering his face with it. Jin  tried to give his brother a hug, yet was so unsure still what was going on. The young Panda wrapped his arm around the other, tightly hugging Jin.

"W-what happened?"

"J-Jin…I…dad isn't coming home…"

"Hu? Why not?"

"Jin, I'll tell you when you get older."

"Why won't you tell me now?"

"B-because…it…it's just not the right time. Maybe when you get older…" He held him tighter. "Trust me on this."

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

Yitao rested his head on the pillow, continuing to stare at wall that was across from him. How was this real; how was this happening to him and his family. This wasn't suppose to happen to him. The young Panda buried his face against the sheets, letting his tears soak it up.

'Daddy…why.'

He looked up when he heard his door being opened; it was his mother coming in.

"M-mom."

"Yitao…h-how are you doing?"

Yitao slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes. "I…I-I want dad."

Tao bit his lips.He approached his son, sitting right beside him. "M-me too, Yitao…me too." Yitao leaned over, giving his mother a hug. He already broke his promise to his father already, he wasn't supposed to cry.

"Mommy, I want d-daddy back h-ho-home." Yitao started to breath abnormally, and tears started to fall quickly from his eyes. "T-this isn't fair!!"

"I know, I know." Tao tried and hushed his son, placing him close to his chest. "B-but this is life. J-just please remember that your father isn't gone, but here." The Panda pulled the younger away, and placed his index finger on his chest where his heart is supposed to be. "Right…here." He trembled a bit.

"But that isn't the same!!" Yitao pulled away. "D-dad was supposed to come home, and everything was supposed to…to, go back to the way they were!! It won't be the same!!" By then, Yitao started to wail.

Tao couldn't blame his son though; he wanted Kris to come home as well, but now, it will never happen. He won't be able to see him when he wakes up in the morning, he won't be able to see him around the house anymore, he won't be able to see him playing with Yitao, or even met his second son; nothing will ever be the same anymore.

As Tao continued to cradle his eldest in his arms, he started to recall back to what Kris told him in the letter.

"I don't want you to be lonely…you can remarry if you want Tao. I would prefer you to be happy, rather than continue to be in grief. I will always still love you, even if you are married to someone else."

For Tao, he couldn't believe that Kris would even think that he would remarry someone else. He was bound to the other, from then to now, to forever. Tao wasn't thinking about remarrying just because he passed, and was planning on still wear the wedding ring that Kris got those years ago.

The two continued to hug each other, and let their tears flow out. Eventually, Yitao's breathing settled down, and now was fast asleep against his mother's chest. Tao rocked back and forth with Yitao in his arms, humming a tune.

Slowly, he laid his eldest in his bed and tucked him in; he stood up and made his way out the door, closing it gently behind him. As he did, Tao laid his forehead against the cold surface of the cherry wooden door. Again, thoughts of his now late husband ran through his mind.

Once again, tears began to fall.

--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

Many years later…

"Yitao…you are really doing this?" Tao asked, trembling in his words a bit. Right in front of him, was his how fully grown son, in a military attire. Yitao nodded, giving his mother a smile.

"Yes."

For Tao, he was reliving a memory that played back very well in his mind. Soon, small sounds of footsteps running on the wooden floors.

"Daddy!!"

Yitao's heart thumped; he smiled as he knelt down to greet his black, wavy haired, son, Yiyeol. He tightly hugged his son, nuzzling against his hair. "How are you buddy?"

"I'm good!" He beamed, but slowly it started to fade. "Daddy has to go now?"

"N-no, I have a few more minutes before they pick me up bud."

Just then, two more people came to meet them, a now grown Huangjin, and Yitao's adorable, male-wife, Baekyeol, just right behind him. Just like Tao, Baekyeol was just not ready for Yitao to be going, at all.

"Yiyeol, you are going to be a good boy right?"

"I'm always a good boy!" Yiyeol puffed out his still baby cheeks.

"Good," Yitao pecked his son's head, before standing up fully. Jin approached his older brother, giving him a small smile.

"Why Yitao?" He asked in a soft voice, trying not to let his voice crack. "Y-you…might --"

"Don't worry about that Jin." Yitao patted his younger brother's shoulder, trying his best to comfort him. "Just, make sure that mom, my son, and Baekyeol will be okay."

Jin shook his head; he still didn't understand as to why his brother was going into service, knowing the fate of their father those years ago. "J-just be careful…and come home."

"You know I will."

Jin nodded, stepping back to stand beside their mother.All that was left was Baekyeol to say his goodbye. Instead of approaching the other, Baekyeol crossed his arms, trying to give his most angry look. Tao took a hold of Jin's arm, and led him away from the three, since now this was between them.

Yiyeol grabbed a hold of his father's hand, nuzzling his head against his father's hand.

"Yiyeol, why don't you go with NaiNai hm?" Yitao asked, patting his son's head. The youngest nodded, leaving the two alone.

"B-Baekyeol -- "

What Yitao didn't expect what Baekyeol was going to do. The other weakly slapped him on the face as he tried his best to hold back his tears.

"Baek --"

"No." Baekyeol then weakly punched Yitao on the chest, now letting tears fall from his eyes. "I will stop loving you if you go. I s-swear…I-I'll…I'll find someone else if you l-leave."

Yitao continued to let Baekyeol hit him, but eventually, he hugged Baekyeol as tightly as he could. This must have what his parents felt, especially his mother.

"No, let go, let go -- "

"Baekyeol, I love you and Yiyeol…a lot, but this is something that I have to do."

"No you don't!!" Baekyeol pushed the other back a bit. "N-no you don't…you -- stay here," He placed his forehead against Yitao's chest, rubbing against the material of his jacket. "Please don't leave Yiyeol, please don't leave your mother, and your brother…please don't leave me…I know how going to service works…and I know the result…I don't want that to happen."

Yitao understood, but this was something that he wanted to do. When he was young, he didn't understand what his father meant when he served, to protect the nation's people, the ones that you love, and for the future of the country. He didn't quite understand, but once he grew up a bit, researching, and understanding what it means to be in the service, having that honor, and protecting those, especially the ones that you love, he was able to understand why his father did it. It took years, but finally he understood.

"I'm doing this for you and Yiyeol." He mumbled against Baekyeol's wavy hair. Again, Baekyeol shook his head, and placed his hands over his eyes. "For our country and for the people I love so much."

"But," Baekyeol started. "Yiyeol needs you more…he is only three and you are going to leave…what if something happens to you…then what?"

"I'll do what my father told my mom…you know that I love you so much…and I want you to be happy, so the idea of remarr --"

"No!" Baekyeol leaned back a bit, but Yitao held him place so that he wouldn't go anywhere. "W-why would you think that I marry someone else? You see this?" He pointed the ring that was on his finger. "This, this ring that you got for me…means 'never-ending' love. I will never think of marrying someone else!" He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. "Don't…say that." He said softly.

Yitao nodded. "Then I won't…" He tightly hugged Baekyeol once again. "I'll be back."

Baekyeol hesitantly wrapped his arms around the other. "Promise?" He asked softly.

The young Panda nodded. "You know I will."

"Daddy!" The two looked down to see Yiyeol, squeezing his way through, under Baekyeol's legs, just so he can be between his parents. "I looked out the window and I saw the blue bus."

Baekyeol widen his eyes and tighten his hold on Yitao, but the other let go of his grip, and placed them on the shorter's wrists. "I have to go." Yitao said softly.

Trembling, he nodded and stepped back with their son. Yiyeol looked up at his father, who knelt down. "Daddy?"

"Here." Yitao pushed his sleeve up, revealing a bracelet that he made for his father. "Keep this." He took it off, putting it on Yiyeol's tiny, yet chubby wrist. "This is a promise okay…that I'm coming back."

"Tomorrow?" Yiyeol asked, in which Yitao chuckled, but shook his head.

"Years from now…you will be older by then."

"But…daddy will remember me…right?"

"Of course." With that he pecked Yiyeol on the head.

Just as he stood up, Tao and Jin made their way over to him, giving last hugs and their farewell. As Yitao opened the door, his long time friend Jongsoo was just about to approach their front door.

"Hey." Jongsoo said. "Ready?"

Yitao nodded; he turned around once again, and watched as Baekyeol slowly made his way over. "Baekyeol?"

"I love you." He grabbed his hand and nuzzled it against his cheek. "…please, come home safe and sound."

Yitao smiled. "I promise."

Baekyeol nodded, before letting go. "Good night."

The taller blinked, a bit confused as to why his wife would say something like that. "Why 'good night'?"

"Because…good bye…really does mean forever…with good night, I'lll be able to see you later." With that, he went on his tippy toes and kissed him on the lips. Pulling back, he whispered against the other that he loved him dearly.

"Yitao…we have to go." Jongsoo said, putting his military hat on.

"O-okay." He replied. Yitao stepped back and placed his military hat on his head. He took one good look at the people that he would be leaving. He turned his heel and walked down the pathway that led to the bus that was going to take him away.

'I will return, Baekyeol. This is a promise.'


--- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) --- (YITAO) ---

Le End

comment if you like / mistakes = I'm sorry

* on the NaiNai part - when i was searching for how to say 'grandma' in chinese, i came across this video that was: how to say grandma & grandpa in chinese. so i clicked on it & it showed different ways of saying grandma & grandpa - for the mother side, it is different than the father's side - so from what i got out of it, Nai Nai is grandma on the dad's side. im not chinese so i dont know if this is right or not, but im going to assume that it is. i checked google translate - because we all know how accurate it is (>__>);; and nai nai is grandma in chinese…so yeah, that is my back up answer...

* goodbye - goodnight part - i saw it on a catfish tv show when they were doing re-runs. im sure that is what she said. i thought it was clever to say good night, instead of good bye

BLOCKB's Kim Yookwon aka U-Kwon [cashier at the mart]:

Yitao + Baekyeol = Yiyeol (according to the poll that I made)  - my gawd…what am i doing…making OC babies for OC characters. this is what happens…when you do OC characters…you create a personality for them, then you give them birthdays, then you give them babies…yeah.

speaking of birthday…because i am weird and i gave birthdays to the EXO B…Xiuchen's birthday is coming up. so that is on my list - to make a short story centering baby Xiuchen.

it is December 5.

Oh and on a side note, do I have any NU'EST - L.O./\.E out there? Did you hear about the their sub-unit, NU'EST-M & their new member Jason, who is Chinese? Chinese version of Sleep Talking - guys…I want to hear that. awww yeah.