Wrong

Willing Promise

 

The next morning, I woke up as per usual and prepared breakfast for Donghae before he went to work. However, today, I was extremely nervous as time ticked by, drawing closer and closer to his breakfast time. As I set the table, he walked into the kitchen with his tie in his hand. Ever since I moved in with him and after I married him, it was our usual routine for me to help him with his tie and since his hand was injured, all the more I should help him.

I cleared my throat and went in front of him, taking the tie off his hands as I did my job. I could feel his gaze on the top of my head, but I tried to ignore it. Sitting opposite him in the dining table was no better. We ate in silence before Donghae had to go to work. Passing him his briefcase, he smiled at me before he did something totally unexpected. He leaned down and kissed my cheeks before leaving. I stood at the door for a full minute before realizing what had actually happened.

“Do you want to go for a company event with me tonight?” He asked me through the phone. Donghae called me slightly before lunch, asking me to be his date.

“Company event?” I attended those on occasions with my father, but now Donghae wants me to go with him?

“I need to bring someone and I thought it was more suitable if I brought you and introduce you officially as my wife.” He said and I could hear him trying to find the right words to say.

“I guess I can go.” I answered since he wants to introduce me as his wife, I cannot be more than honored.

Donghae told me to go do my hair and nails if I wanted to As he’ll be home at around 5pm to start getting ready. AS I didn’t want to make a fool of myself to make him feel embarrassed, I decided to go and do my hair and my nails. However, it seems like Donghae read my mind as after I finished my lunch and was about to leave the house, my doorbell rang and at the door stood a group of people, introducing themselves to be personal shopper from some mall, make-up artist, hair stylist and manicurist. He sent the whole mall to me.

I was being treated like a King for the whole afternoon. When I heard the front door close, I know Donghae was back. He allowed me to do what I need to do as she himself went to prepare. When it was time to change into the gown, I was led into my previous room to change.

I walked out of the room and found Donghae sitting on the couch, waiting for me. When he looked up, he looked slightly shocked before he took my hand and place it on the crook of his arm. The team of people complimented how great we look together before they left as they ended work for the day.

“You look beautiful.” He said.

“You look dashing.” I smiled as I adjusted his bowtie.

We left the house and headed to the party venue. It was held at one of Taiwan’s prestigious hotels. I’m glad I decided to do what a woman needed to do before any formal event.

Walking in, I had realized I had gripped on Donghae’s hand so tightly until he whispered into my ear. I blush slightly and apologised. How embarrassing.

“Donghae! Glad to see you could make it.” A man who at most was in his 30’s said.

“How could I not?” The expression on Donghae’s face was totally on work mode. Never at home had I seen him like this, unless he’s in his study.

“Is this the rumored wife you have? How could you not show her off to us sooner? You have such a beautiful wife!” He was eyeing me like some kind of creep and it’s disgusting.

“My wife doesn’t like this kind of events.” His tone changed completely, ice cold and his gaze was fierce. Even when I see him like this, I was scared. However, the man had no reaction to it, maybe he didn’t realize.

Donghae never let me out of his sight once. I met a few of his clients and his colleagues. They were nice people.

When we got home, I went into the bathroom and set the water for Donghae. He must be tired after a long day. When I headed back into the living room, I saw Donghae sleeping soundly on the couch. However if he continue to sleep here, he will definitely catch a cold.

“Donghae… Donghae” I shook him lightly as he stirred.

“I’ve set the bath. You can go take a bath and head to bed.” I said as I pulled him up from the couch.

“What about you?” He asked groggily.

“I need to prepare some things.” I said as he went to shower and I changed out of my outfit. I can finally take that revealing dress off.

When Donghae came out of the shower, I headed to take a shower. I came out to find Donghae struggling to keep himself awake on the couch.

“Why don’t you go and sleep?” I asked as I dried my hair with the towel. I need to stay awake some more since my hair takes a long time to dry. He shook his head and took the towel from me and helped me to dry my hair.

“It’s ok. Go and sleep. I can do this on my own.” I tried to take it back. But as a guy, his grip was strong.

“It’s late and tomorrow you’ll have to wake up early. You must be tired from such a long and boring day.” He said before placing the towel down and massaged my shoulders.

“I’m fine. You need rest. Donghae, Please.” I said and he stopped what he’s doing. He held onto my hand and lead me to our room. He tucked me into bed and I wanted to protest since my hair was wet, but touching it, I realized it’s already dry.

Donghae went to the other side of the bed and turned off the bedside lamp as we went to sleep. The night was cold as I hid myself deeper into the blankets. The bed shifted and I felt Donghae’s presence behind me. He pulled me close to him and hugged me from my back.

“Donghae, What…” I was about to protest when he kept me quiet by what he said.

“You’re cold.” He said and I know what he did was to keep me warm.

Everything that he had done for me when we came back to Taiwan after our wedding seems different. Even though he gets angry at times, but there are times like this where he’s very… attentive.

The next morning, I woke up finding myself still in Donghae’s arms. I slid out as motionless as possible as I went to prepare his breakfast. I found out he like to eat Kimbap and Eggrolls the most as when I make them, he’ll definitely clear the plates. Since breakfast he doesn’t have much time, Kimbap would be a good choice. I can even make one so that he can bring it to work. I passed Donghae his lunch as he slipped on his shoes. He kissed me on the cheeks before going to work.

I was a little tired so I headed back to sleep before cleaning the house in the afternoon. When I woke up, it was already 10am. I showered and changed and went down to look for Eunhyuk since it’s been a long time I went to look for him.

“Any news?” He asked me since the last time I met him was after my interview. I had totally forgotten about this issue since I was too into thinking about my life with Donghae.

“Don’t worry. They’ll call you.” Eunhyuk said before I went back home. The phone was ringing when I got home. I rushed to the phone and answered it.

“Is this Mrs Lee Soobin?” the lady asked. The only people who knows me in Taiwan is Eunhyuk and the people from NTU.

“Yes, speaking.”

“This is HR from NTU. I’m calling you to inform you about your placement on the job of Korean teacher in the language faculty.” She said. I almost screamed into the phone. I got the Job!

“You start work on the first of next month at 9am. It would be orientation so you’ll take a look around the school and follow some lecturers before having your own class.”

“Ok. Thank you.”

I rushed down to Eunhyuk’s café and told him the good news. I was so happy that I wanted to share with everyone in the world. With my good mood, I cleaned the house so quickly that I didn’t feel tired at all. I went to the supermarket, and bought some ingredients to make ginseng Chicken soup. Since these few days are quite cold, it’s a good weather to eat this and Donghae seem to be tired most of the time.

“Donghae, can you come home earlier today?” I called him and asked.

“Why? Is there something wrong? Are you not feeling well?” He asked, his voice suddenly flustered.

“No. I have something to tell you. Try to come home early today ok?”

“I’ll try. I’ll get back to you.” He said before we hung up. I’m so excited to break the news to him. that afternoon, I spent all my time in the kitchen, whipping up a good meal for Donghae. However, at 5pm, he rang.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I can be home early today. But I’ll be home at 8 the latest.” I could hear he himself wasn’t happy with this delay either. But what can I do?

“Ok. I’ll wait for you.” I said. At 6pm, the soup was done and the only thing left is to wait for him to come home. I cleared the kitchen and took a bath, getting ready for him to return. I sat in the living room and the television, waiting for it to be 8pm. However, time was passing so slowly.

I took a book which I brought from Korea and started reading. It was a typical romance novel, but it was something that I always want to be the female lead of. Charming boyfriend, simple love, overcome diffculities together, it is a ream every girl would definitely want to have.

I looked at the situation I’m in now. Even though Donghae is charming but what we lacked the most was love. The deep love that a married couple is suppose to have that’s why they got together. The love which can overcome anything. Up till now, our life is too mundane and what we have is barely to the step of friendship. We could barely talk. As they say, If a couple have nothing interesting to do together, but could talk about anything under the sun, they will be happy. However, if the couple have so much activities to do but cannot talk to each other regarding their problems or life, they would not end up happy because activities gets boring but conversations will never run out.

Donghae and I had nothing to do and cannot talk. Maybe because it’s the start of a new relationship, a new life together that’s why we’re having problems, but I hope things would turn out different from what people say.

The clicking of the door snapped me out from my thoughts as I saw Donghae coming back. He looked at me with hurt in his eyes. I was about to approach him, but that look, made my smile fade. Why was this look pinned on his face? I walked towards him and took his bag and his blazer.

“I’ll go heat up our dinner.” I said.

“it’s fine. I have no appetite.” I looked at him, but he could not look at me. He walked into his study and closed the door. What have I done wrong?