Step

Willing Promise

 

When I was done showering, I came out of the bathroom to not find Donghae anywhere. It took him long to buy some things at the convenient store. I ignored it and went to do my own thing till I felt tired.

When I wanted to go to bed, Donghae was still not back yet. When I looked at the clock, it was already close to 12am. Where did he go? I tried calling his phone, but there was no answer. I then called the guide asking him if he was with Donghae, but he told me that Donghae asked him for the address of the place we went in the morning.

Why does he want to go there? I was worried sick. He didn’t call to say why was he out late. How can I let myself sleep when we’re in a foreign land where he can’t really speak the language well. So many scenarios were going through my head I felt like dying.

There was blood everywhere. I walked closer and closer, people were crowding around, I felt a need to see what has happened. Getting closer and closer, I saw a hand, with Donghae’s favourite watch. Don’t tell me…

When I got closer, close enough to see the face, I gasp in shock. Its….. Donghae. He’s lying on the floor, blood pooling around him and his eyes closer. The closer I want to reach out for him, he gets further away. The ambulance he was taken in drew smaller and smaller and it all became dark…

I woke up with a shock. I looked around me to find that I was in our room, on the couch. It means that Donghae was still outside. I looked at the clock, 3am. Where could he have gone to till this hour? Was the dream a hint? Did something really happen to him? I tried calling his phone again, but this time, it was turned off.

I sat on the couch, with my knees drawn up to my chest. What if something really happened to him? I cannot help but allow my imagination to run wild till the extent which I can no longer endure. I changed out of my sleeping clothes. I need to go look for him. No matter how later it is and how long I would take.

When I was about to take my coat, the lock to my room clicked and in came Donghae.

“Where are you going at this hour?” He asked, with a shocked expression on his face.

I froze on the spot, many emotions running through my veins. Relief, happy, glad, worry, anger, rage. I was mad, really mad.

“Where were you?” I tried to suppress my anger in my voice, however, I know on the outside, it seems like smoke is coming out from my skin.

“I…” He was speechless. Did he do something he wasn’t suppose to do?

“Do you know how worried I was? You said you’ll be gone for a while. That was what you said 6 hours ago!” I was breathing in long breathes. However, what came next was tears. I could feel them running up towards my eyes.

I turned away from him and walked towards the bed. Sitting on the edge, I allowed tears to pour out. I was so afraid he died, something bad happened to him. However, he came back, not saying anything, not explaining. I couldn’t hold back my sobs even when I cover my mouth, I could hear myself. Then I felt a warm embrace.

“Don’t cry.” His voice soothing and comforting. He my back softly as I cried on his shoulders.

“I’m sorry to have made you worry.” He apologised. However, all that I felt now was relief. He’s back.

That night, we slept in each other’s embrace, knowing what we are doing and not because of our own unknown actions.

The trip to Paris brought us closer; we interacted a lot every day, talking about anything under the sun. To think that a month ago, we acted like complete strangers. However, I don’t exactly know what are my feelings for him and what are his for me. For the both of us, now is like our dating period. We’re getting to know each other and having fun. However, this will come to an end. Once we return to Taiwan, we might not have the kind of time anymore.

As they say, time flies when you’re having fun, its already the second last day of our trip. Our destination was the world renowned Eiffel tower. Since we’re here and at night, we will get spectacular view at the top. As we went up, I felt so excited. I cannot help but wonder how would the night view in Paris look like from the Eiffel tower.

“I have something to tell you.” Donghae said. He looked a little off the entire day. Ever since after lunch, he was unfocused and was always in a daze.

“Tell me when we get to the top. This way, we’ll have motivation.” I said. I was just too excited. He took in a deep breath and walked up quickly. I bet he can’t wait to see the view either. When we finally got to the top, it was breathtaking.

“It’s so beautiful!” The wind was slapping against my face. It was just too beautiful.

“Soobin.” I heard my name as Donghae came behind me. I turned around to find him overly close to me.

“I….” He tried to say, but held back. I looked at him confused. What did he want to tell me? It seem very important yet hard to say. Don’t tell me…

“I love you.” He said and looked at me directly in the eye. I gasp. He loved me… People around us were clapping. The look in his eyes was honest and sincere. He came close to me and cupped my face before giving me a breathtaking kiss.

“I love you too.” I whispered as he broke the kiss. He broke into a boyish smile and I know, this smile would linger on his face for quite some time.

As we ended our Eiffel tower tour, we got back onto the bus and went back to our hotel. When we were on our way back, I suddenly remembered.

“The whole day you have been out of focus. Did something happen?” I looked at him and the smile faded before he loosen the hold on my hand as he start playing with his fingers.

“It’s just…” He hesitated. He bit his lips and thought for a while. I placed my hand on his and he looked at me.

“It’s ok. You can tell me. We’ll solve the problem together.” I said as his eyes brighten up slightly.

“During lunch, when you ladies went to the washroom, the guys were reminiscing about their past with their wives. How they went on a day where did they have their first kiss, how they proposed. When they asked me, I was lot for words. I felt like we’ve missed an important part of our relationship.” I looked at him in shock. He was upset because of this?

“Donghae-ah, what’s important is not where we first held hands, where we first kissed, where you proposed. What’s important is our future right? You know, I know we have a future. That is what matters. We can create memories, but we can never create but what we have now, it can never be made.” He smiled as he realized I was right.

We can go on dates, watch movies, have dinner, go strolling in the park. These places would never disappear. As long as he has the heart, nothing is impossible.

“Let’s go.” I said and took his hand as we reached out hotel. He intertwined our fingers together, afraid that I would disappear.

During this honeymoon, I saw many different sides of Donghae. The playful side, the emotional side, the sad side, and many more. Back in Taiwan, we never got to interact much, much less to say spend time together.

“What are you thinking about?” Donghae’s voice broke me from my chain of thoughts.

“Nothing. I’m going to shower.” I said, trying to escape, but he pulled my wrist causing me se sit on his leg.

“Tell me.” He said, trying to act serious. I shook my head and he started tickling me. I wriggle around, hoping he would stop as I could not stop laughing. When he finally stopped, I looked up at him and he looked at me. We were both breathing very hard from our over excitement and the chemistry just zapped us in the brain.

That night, was a beautiful night as we truly became husband and wife.

The next morning, I woke up when the phone rang. It was our usual morning call from the front desk. I looked at Donghae who was sound asleep, like an angelic baby. By day, he’s a charismatic man at work, by night, he’s a gentle husband at home. I could really get used to this beautiful life I have.

Taking his sweater which was on the floor, I put them on before clearing the room and grabbing my stuff and head to shower. Donghae would always sleep a little more. I guess he’s not used to the workless life. He seem slightly tired and out of place.

When I was done, Donghae had woke up. He rubbed his eyes like a small boy. I smiled and went to sit at his side of the bed.

“Morning.” I said.

“Morning.” He smiled sleepily before giving me a light kiss on my lips. I took a robe from the bathroom and passed it to him. He put it on and went to shower. When he closed the door and the sound of the showers came about, I let out my breath. I didn’t know I had been holding onto my breath.

As it’s out last day in the hotel, we had to pack back all our things. I lay Donghae’s clothes on the bed as I kept everything else. Looking everywhere, I check to see if I left out anything. Suddenly, I felt arms around my waist.

“Let’s go have breakfast.” He smiled and took my hand. We brought the luggage to the lobby where there was a place assigned for us. I wrapped my arms around Donghae’s as we walked towards the restaurant.

I will definitely miss Paris. This is the place where Donghae and I became closer. The place where made us truly a couple, husband and wife.

“We can come back again if you want.” Donghae said as we reached the airport.

“Anywhere we go is fine.” I said. As long as I had him, going anywhere would be ok. Even if he said he’ll bring me to Jeju island, it would be alright. Because I know he will be there. When we were going to enter the departure hall, we bid our guide goodbye, French style, a kiss on each cheek. I know Donghae didn’t look very comfortable with it but when we were alone, I made it up to him with a kiss and he smiled. Such a little boy, my little boy.

“When are you starting work?” He asked as we took our seat in the plane.

“A week later. Will you still be working from home?” I asked since we’re going back to our real lives. No longer fooling and playing around anymore.

“If you want me to. But I think for the first few days I might have to go back. But I’m free the day after we land. We can have our first date.” He smiled.

“We’re already married. I don’t think it’s called a date anymore.” I chuckled.

“To me it is. Anyway, when you start work, do you want me to hire the ahjumma again to help you? I’m afraid work and housework might wear you down.” He said, the back on my hand.

“We’ll see how.” Now it’s the start of our married and work life. Aja! Aja! Fighting!