News

Willing Promise

Soobin’s POV

I received Donghae’s message at about 3 in the afternoon, telling me he is coming back. I don’t know how am I going to break the news to him. For days, I have been hiding from him, but now he’s back, I can’t hide anymore.

Flashback

I went to the hospital to see the doctor in regards to my poor health recently. Since there were quite a few people around, I had to wait a longer period of time before it was my turn. After about an hour, it was finally my turn. I knocked on the door and entered.

“(Chinese)Take a seat, Mrs. Lee, Which part of your body aren’t you feeling well?” He asked.

“I’ve been feeling a bit nausea and dizzy lately.” I said and he wrote it down.

“Any other strange things?”

“I have cravings for food and I have very big appetites. However, I can’t seem to eat anything.”

“I see. I might have to refer you to another doctor.” He said.

Oh my, this sounds serious. Don’t tell me I’m having cancer or some terminal disease. I’m too young to be so sick.

I was sent to another department. I don’t know what department, but a nurse led the way so I just followed her. She told the nurse by the counter and came back to give me my number. As there wasn’t much people, it was my turn shortly.

“Take a seat. I’ve heard about your condition. We might need to do a scan to confirm.” She said.

“Confirm?” I asked.

“Yes. To see if you’re pregnant.”

“Pregnant? I…” Then I recalled. I’ve actually missed my period after that incident. How could I have forgotten?

I lay down on the bed as the doctor lifted my shirt and applied a gel on my stomach. She took an appliance and hovered it above the place where she applied the gel. She said nothing for a moment.

“Doctor, am I pregnant?” I asked. I didn’t know if I want to be, but if I am, I have to discuss it with Donghae.

“Congratulations, You’re pregnant.” She said and she turned the screen towards me, showing me the movement of the heart. I looked at it and couldn’t believe that there’s a life growing inside me. A life that Donghae and I created.

She gave me a picture of my child before telling me the do’s and don’ts. I guess I might have to either quit my job or just focus on teaching Korean. When Donghae comes back, I’ll break him the news. I hope he wants children.

End of Flashback

When Donghae had asked me if I wanted children the other time, I was shocked. It was as if he knew I was pregnant. I checked the flight from Seattle to Taiwan and it will arrive in another 4 hours, which means I can go and pick him. I have gotten my driving license yesterday and now I can drive myself around. Since Donghae will be having luggages, driving the car would make life easier.

At 4.30pm, I took a quick shower, changed my clothes and went off to the airport. I was glad Donghae had a GPS system in his car. I wasn’t very familiar with the roads in Taiwan, so I had to rely on navigations.

When I got to the airport, it showed that his plane had landed and he would come out from gate 7. I proceeded there to wait for him. People slowly streamed out from the gate pulling their bags along with them. After a while, I finally saw Donghae, however he didn’t see me.

I tapped his shoulder and he turned to look at me. He looked so professional with his sunglasses. Even though he look a little stupid wearing them in the shade, not like he’s a superstar, but he has some position in society. He turned to look at me and got a shock.

“Why are you here?” He said with a huge smile on his face.

“Surprise!” I said and laughed. He pulled me for a hug and even though I was a little uncomfortable, I realize this is where I belong. When he found out I drove here on my own, his head almost blow off his body.

The way back, he insisted he drove. I had wanted to drive as he was tired, but he didn’t let me. He was worried for my safety.

“How was your trip?” I asked since our drive was too silent for my liking.

“Boring. Very much the same every day, meetings meetings and more meetings.” He said. I could see that he was really tired.

“Did you eat well? You look tired.” I said.

“I ate on time every day. They provide meals for us at the same time every day.” He said and in no time, we got to our new home.

“I have something for you.” He said when I was about to open the car door. He took out a box from his jacket pocket. It was a very simple box which could have been anything inside. I’m curious what he got for me. I didn’t open it, but hold it in my hand.

“You can open it.” He looked at me, looking a little excited. Maybe he wanted to know if I had liked it. I opened it to find a very beautiful Ribbon Hair clip. How did he know I liked ribbon items?

“Do you like it?” He asked as if he was treading on Dangerous waters.

“I love it. Thank you.” I smiled. His boyish smile was back as he went to open my door for me before getting his luggage from the back of the car.

For a moment, he got my attention off the most important matter in my mind. I have no idea how to break him the news. I don’t even know if he want a child, if he’s ready to want to be a father? I don’t want to stress him further than he already was.

When we got home, he placed his bag in the living room before heading to the bedroom to shower. I took out his clothes and work papers from his luggage and realize he didn’t buy anything during his trip, but he bought me this ribbon hair clip. I took the box out of my pocket as I sat down on the couch. Taking off my current hair accessory, I fastened the new hair clip on my hair and realized it looks really beautiful.

“You look nice in it.” Donghae’s voice echoed the living room, catching me off guard.

“You scare me.” I said as he smiled.

“You look pale. Are you feeling sick?” He asked as he led me to the couch to sit down. I shook my head, debating with myself how should I break the news to him.

“Remember what we were taking on the phone the other day?” He asked and I didn’t know what he was talking about.

He kept hinting me but I really don’t remember what we were talking about. There were many things we said on the phone and I don’t really know which one was he referring to until he stated directly what he was referring to.

“The one on children.” He said and when he said it, there’s this glow in his eyes. I remembered the other time he asked if I had wanted children. I liked children, but I don’t know if he likes them as much as I do.

“I remember that.” I said and he smiled.

“Would you want one on your own?” He asked. I was taken aback by his question. Does he know?

“I would want children.” I said. When he wanted to say something, a phone call broke our conversation. When he left, I suddenly had a nausea feeling and threw up in the toilet. Donghae was still busy on the phone when I came back. I was glad he was busy.

When he was done, I was really tired and went to bed. He looked a little sad that I had went to bed, but he didn’t stop me. He himself went to bed as well. He must have had a long week.

In the middle of the night, I had my leg cramps again. However, this time it really hurt and for a long time, it didn’t go away.  I had no choice but to wake Donghae up to help me. I guess I was in too much pain that I gripped onto Donghae’s arm too hard that he woke up almost immediately.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Leg… Cramps.” I almost sobbed out. It was that painful. He immediately helped me ease the pain and I felt like I could finally breathe again.

“Better?” He asked and I nodded my head.

When my cramps had died down, I could finally relax and go back to sleep. Donghae went back to his side of the bed and looked at me. Even though I was not facing him, I know he was looking at me. I turned around and he smiled. However, his eyelid drooped down slowly and he fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up to find Donghae already awake. I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 7am. I had already resigned from my job as a dance lecturer, but I was still keeping my koean teacher job.

“You don’t have to work?” He asked me as he sipped his coffee.

“I decided that full time jobs don’t go well with me.” I said and he nodded his head.

“I think your job demands too much. What if you hurt yourself?” He said.

After breakfast, I sent him off as I had used to before I took up the full time job. He told me he’ll try to be home earlier today, I but I guess he might work overtime again. His job is way too demanding, but he likes it and I don’t want to interfere too much with his job as well.

I cleaned the house a little and watched some television. At 6pm, I cooked dinner and he called a little before 7, telling me he can’t make it back for dinner. It wasn’t surprising nowadays. I just left food aside for him and ate my share. However, I have this craving for glutinous rice balls all of a sudden. I know it’s not too nice to disturb Donghae, but I was trying my luck.

‘Can you buy me some glutinous rice balls on your way back – Soobin’

‘Sure. But I won’t be back before 10pm. Are you sure you want it? – Hae’

‘I can wait. Don’t overwork yourself. – Soobin’

‘I won’t. Love you! – Hae’

I guess I can break the news to him tonight. He will be so delighted. He has been talking about kids with me for some time now and I know he really like them. How would he react when he knows he’s going to be a father soon? Just by thinking about his reaction makes me smile. However, what we imagine might not be what will happen in reality.

When Donghae came back with the glutinous rice balls, it was close to 10pm. I told him to have a shower before dinner as I heat it up for him. I could see he was tired as his shoulders and neck were really stiff.

During Dinner or you can say supper for me, he brought up the children topic again.

‘Do you like a boy or girl more?” He asked.

“I’m ok with both.’

‘You must prefer one gender more.” He smiled.

“As a mother, I love all my children. You love children too right, no matter boys or girls?”

“No matter boys or girls, I love them especially if they are my children.” His eyes were bright, shining. He looked really excited.

“Donghae, I have something I need to tell you.” I said. He look so hopeful.

“You can tell me anything”

“I’m pregnant.”