Love

Willing Promise

 

“Home Sweet Home!” Donghae cheered as he opened the door to our house. Not being here for 10 days seems really long. Seeing Donghae so carefree made me feel so at ease and relaxed.

“You must be tired. I’ll unpack. You go and shower.” Donghae said as he pushed me into the bathroom before I had time to protest. I took a shower as quick as I could. I wasn’t as tired as Donghae is. The whole trip back, I slept on his shoulders till it was numb, He carried our luggages, and now he’s unpacking, what kind of wife am I?

When I came out of the shower, he threw all the dirty clothes into the laundry and he was sleeping on the couch. He must be really tired to be able to fall asleep so quickly. In Paris, it took more effort for me to wake him up and he sleeps quickly. However, before when we were still in Taiwan, he wake up at a small sound, and he will try to sleep but keep waking up to do his work and check his documents.

“Donghae…. Donghae…” I shook him as he stirred.

“I prepared a bath for you.” I said and he nodded before entering the bathroom. Looking at the laundry basket, I think it’s better for me to start washing a batch of clothes now. I had to wait for around an hour before the clothes are done washing. Flipping through the television channels, I stopped at some idol drama.

It seem to have been very long after Donghae went to shower. Did he fall asleep in the bath? I went to the room to find him asleep on the bed. covering the blankets for him in case he caught a cold, I was about to leave and let him sleep when he wrapped an arm round my waist and pull me onto the bed.

“Sleep.” He said.

“I’m doing the laundry. I’ll sleep later. You should catch up on rest.” I said and he nodded before loosening his grip and fell back asleep.

After washing the clothes and putting them in the dryer, I went to bed. Tomorrow would be a brand new day and a brand new beginning. I think I’m going to go visit Eunhyuk.

The next morning, I slept in and it was 10am when I woke up. However, what amused me was that Donghae was still fast asleep. I looked at him as the rays from the sun shone on his beautiful fair skin. He looked totally stunning. I wonder how could someone look so beautiful like him?

I guess my stare was too intense that he stirred from his sleep and woke up. He looked at me and I smiled as he smiled back at me, pulling me closer to him till my head was on his chest. I can hear the sound of his heartbeat, slow and constant.

“Had a good sleep?” He asked me.

“Not too bad.” I said.

“We’re going to do something special today.” He said as he sat up, pulling me with him.

“What are we doing today?” I asked.

“It’s a secret. Follow me and you’ll know. I’ll take a shower and we’re going out.” He said before he went into the bathroom. I wonder what does he have installed for the both of us.

“Where are we going?” I asked for the nth time as he drove. He didn’t say anything but smiled. It seems like he has something up his sleeves. When he finally stopped the car, I looked outside to see none other than a bridal shop.

“Bridal shop?” I murmured to myself. He opened my side of the car door and took me by the hand, just like a perfect gentleman.

“(Chinese) Welcome. Are you Mr. Lee?” The lady asked and Donghae nodded.

“This way please.” As she guide us into the changing room.

I looked at him, confused. Didn’t we already take our bridal shots? However, when I took a closer look, the room wasn’t filled with Bridal gowns, but clothes of different themes.

“(Korean)Our theme today is the progress of our love life.” Donghae told me and I smiled. As I looked around for suitable clothes, Donghae explained the storyline which he wants. He told me to pick out more casual looking clothes and the photographer said the exact same thing. I found a mint coloured dress that I liked so much and Donghae nodded his head in approval.

During the photoshoot, I felt like we went back to the time we first met. I was sitting on the couch while he was standing and looking at me. However, this time the atmosphere was different. He looked at me with a longing gaze while I smiled a shy smile as directed by the photographer.

The next set was a glass between the both of us while I was in a short formal dress and Donghae in a tux. Our hands were against each other but there was the glass which blocked us from having contact. It was like an invisible wall between us, just like at the beginning.

The set after was with him putting his hand around my waist with my back facing him. We stood at their balcony looking at the scenery. It reminded me of our honeymoon in Paris. Even though we just came back, I kind of missed that place already.

Lastly, the picture made me feel very embarrassed. With my arms around his neck, and his around my waist, we stood barely inches apart. We were suppose to just leave a small gap between, like we were really going to kiss, but when the photographer said it’s a wrap, Donghae closed the gap and made it a really kiss. I heard the clicking of the camera as the photographer took shots.

After changing out of the attires, we went to look at the pictures, the one we wanted. We chose one from each set and I could tell Donghae really liked the last few pictures. I cannot help but admit it looked nice.

“Which one would you like to be blown up?” He asked as he scrolled through our selection. Donghae looked at me and I told him he could choose. I knew which one he wanted. Even though it’s a little embarrassing, but I let him go his way. Just as I expected, he chose the one from the last scene, where we really kissed.

As we left, he looked really happy with what he accomplished. I guess we spent the day quite well. It was already turning dark when we left the place. Donghae then drove us to Din Tai Feng to have dinner. I was starving when we got there.

Dinner was nice. I wonder if this might be the last time I will get to eat dinner with him for a period of time. He would start to be busy and when I start work, most of my time would be in the late afternoon or in the evening. Which means we have lesser time for each other.

“What is your work schedule like?” He asked.

“I have more late afternoon and evening classes. However, the first few weeks I’ll just be following and observing.” I answered. He frowned slightly and the speed he ate slowed down before he started playing with his food rather than eating.

“What’s wrong?” I asked as I reach out my hand and place it on his.

“It means we have lesser time.” He said.

“It’s just for a few weeks. After that, it’ll be their holidays and I’ll have lesser shifts.” I said and he looked slightly happier.

“If only I can support you.” He smiled wearily.

“I would have rot by then.” I tried to make him smile and it works. Though it seemed a little forced.

“If you’re tired then quit ok?” I nodded my head. Actually he can support us and have so much more left. But if I were to really stay home, I’ll have nothing to do. I have no female friends here and I don’t want to spend all of Donghae’s money on useless things.

That night, neither of us could sleep. I didn’t know why, but it felt like after today, Everything that we had done before would be totally changed. On the bed, we lied face to face, looking at each other. None of us closed our eyes, or spoke a word. We just looked at each other, our eyes speaking everything we felt.

Finally, Donghae pulled me into his embrace, hugging me like there was no tomorrow. How I wish we could just live our lives with no strings attached. Just us and nothing more.

The next morning, I woke up at the same time as before, helping Donghae prepare his breakfast. Now I know, he like omelette and he like his coffee bare. He came out of the room, tie and briefcase in his hands. Taking the tie, I tied it for him as he stare at me head, as if trying to burn a hole through it.

“Thank you.” He kissed me forehead before sitting at the table. He smiled at the breakfast he was having before digging in.

“I feel like just staying here with you my entire life and not go to work.” He said as he put on his shoes, giving me a kiss on the lips. I just smiled and wave at him. He has his own commitments and I had mine. If we toss it all aside, there goes our living expenses.

AS compared to before, after he left for an hour, I had this tingling feeling in my heart. I missed him already. I felt like a high school girl falling in love. The only way to see him soon was lunch time. I decided to then make him lunch.

After making a huge mess in the kitchen and a perfect lunch box, I took a shower and went out. I stopped at Eunhyuk’s cake shop ad dropped in for a visit. He was totally delighted to see me. He gave me some pastries to bring to Donghae so that he could sweeten his tone for me.

I told his secretary I’ll go in on my own as I knocked on his door. A monotonous ‘Come in” rang in my ears as I opened the door.

“(Chinese)Do you need anything Selina?” I heard he ask, but I didn’t make a sound and controlled my laughter. When he heard nothing, he looked up and was shocked to see me.

“Soobin.” He said as he stood up.

That afternoon, we had lunch together in his office and it’s really fun. I didn’t have the priviledge of doing this before, but I’ll take my chances now.

Seeing the piles of work he has on his table, I guess he might be working overtime again today. My heart aches seeing him working so hard for us.

“I’ll see you at home.” I gave him a hug as I am about to leave his office. However, when I was about to leave, he held onto my wrist, not letting me go. I looked at him and he gave me an expression, asking me to stay. I really want to, but I rather have him in the comfort of our home rather, than spending more time in his office.

“You have work to do. I don’t want to see you tiring yourself out. Come home early ok?” I asked and pecked his cheeks and he nodded his head. When I left, I feel like I have a need to stuff myself with food. I feel so bare all of a sudden.

When I got home, I cooked Japchae and mash potatoes. I didn’t know why the combination was weird, but I felt it was right to cook these. I left the kitchen and went into Donghae’s study, browsing through our Paris pictures. These are the moments I would never ever forget…