Introduction

Willing Promise

 

No One’s POV

Donghae has been working in Taiwan for close to 5 years. He’s Korean and for a Korean, he was able to stay in the company for so long was quite an accomplishment.

“This is Lee Donghae speaking.” He said as he picked up the phone in his office. He was currently holding a manager position in the company and was making good progress in his job.

“I’m so tired!” He said as he lay down on the sofa in his living room. For 5 years he had been living alone. He was too busy to get a girlfriend and he knows that Taiwan girls are not his type. His mother for once had never pried about his dating life, not even once.

“Omma!” Donghae exclaimed happily into the phone when he saw his mother calling from Korea. She rarely calls him but they talk through video call online more often.

“Donghae-ah, come back to Korea.” Was said on the other line. Donghae froze for a moment before he answered.

“Why?”

“Just come back. There’s something important which needs your decision.” His mother said.

They talked for a little while about their life and how they were coping before Donghae hung up and went to Book an air ticket back to Korea. He called his boss and told him his situation and he was granted an immediate 1 week leave.

Donghae left for the airport immediately the next day since he was lucky to be able to get a plane ticket for the next day. When he reached Korea after the flight which seems like it took forever, he immediately rushed to get a taxi to go back home. He didn’t know what would happen but he had a feeling about it that might be bad.

When he opened the door to his house, he saw his mother sitting in the living room with the presence with 3 other person.

“Oh you’re back.” She said with a smile before going up to him and gave him a motherly hug which he missed for the past 5 years. His mother led him to the living room and got him seated next to her.

“Now everyone is here, we can start. As we adults know that before Donghae’s father passed away, he had one last wish, which was for Donghae to marry a good lady and His father and Mr. Park here has been friends since middle school. They agreed with each other than if each side has a child of different gender, the eldest of the male would marry the side which has a daughter. Now, it seems that Donghae is the eldest and Mr. Park has only one daughter.” While Mrs. Lee was speaking, Donghae felt his heart beat faster and faster.

“So The both of you would get married. However, the both of you will get 3 months time to get to know each other. After 3 months, you will get married.” Mrs. Lee continued. Mr. Park’s Daughter just sat there quietly nodding her head as her father had explained the situation to her and as a filial daughter, she could not oppose her parent’s decision.

“If this is Dad’s last wish, I cannot say no.” Donghae said which brought smiles to both family’s adults. Donghae looked at Mr. Park’s daughter and gave her a small smile which she smiled back.

“Now to formally introduce, this is my daughter, Soobin.” Donghae stood up and bowed and so did Soobin.

“But, I will only be in Korea for the next 2 days and I have to go back to work.” Donghae explained not knowing how this 3 months thing would work.

“We have all settled the problem. Soobin will be going to Taiwan with you. We have applied for a 3 months social visit pass for her. She graduated from Ewha’s Woman’s university, graduating with a first class honors with Chinese so it would not be a problem for her to go to Taiwan.” Mrs. Park said.

Donghae looked at Soobin and saw her just quietly sitting there. Donghae was thinking in his heart, hoping they would get along and that she would open up to him so their relationship would not be so awkward.

“Hae-ah, bring Soobin out and get to know each other.” Mrs. Lee said. Donghae nodded his head before walking to where Soobin was sitting. Soobin looked up at him and stood up. The both of them greeted their elders before walking out of the house.

Donghae’s POV

“I’m Donghae. Nice to meet you.” I reached out my hand to shake hers. She took my hand shyly and shook it gently before letting go of my hand.

“Let us get to know each other better since we have to get married in the end.” I said and she nodded her head.

“How about you introduce yourself in Chinese. It isn’t easy to graduate with first class honors in such a prestigious school and what more a foreign language.” I said.

“(Chinese) Nice to meet you, my name is Park Soobin. 25 years old this year and I’m from Korea.” I looked at her shocked. Here Chinese was even better than mine. No wonder she graduated with first class honors.

“Donghae-sshi…. Donghae-sshi….” Soobin called my name a few times before I snapped out of my own thoughts.

“Is it very bad?” She looked at me.

“No. It was really good.” I said and she smiled at me and somehow I felt like my heart stopped beating. However, I know I’m reacting this way because she’s pretty but nothing else.

“Do you like Chinese Food?” I asked her and she nodded her head, I drove her to a chinese restaurant nearby and had dinner there. I kind of missed the food here. The food is still good as 5 years ago.

“I’m curious. Why did you agree to marry me?” I said before our food came.

“I don’t want to make my parents upset. They have been planning this for some time and I can tell the promise is really important.” She said.

“Are you willing to go to Taiwan with me? Because even if you’re married to me, we’ll be living in Taiwan.” I said and she nodded her head meekly. I know it’s really harsh to tell her all these now but this is what she has to go through in the future.

“Do you not like me?” She asked me amidst our meal. I almost choked n my food. She looked up at me with a terrified  expression.

“What makes you think that way?” I said as I try to regain m breath.

“When the elders were talking about our marriage you didn’t seem happy.”

“I had not wanted to settle down so early.” I said.

We had short conversations or else it would be awkward silences. I looked at her and realized she didn’t look very familiar with Korea.

“I went to China for an exchange programe for a year.” She said. No wonder her Chinese was so fluent. Looking at her, I have this feeling that this relationship wouldn’t be too bad.

2 days later…

I was at the airport waiting for Soobin to come. I had actually expected her to bring a lot of things since she is a girl and normally girls have a huge amount of clothes and other things. However, her luggage was small like she was only going for a 5 day trip.

“Are you only bringing this?” I asked her and she nodded her head.

“My daughter don’t like to travel heavy. She will go there and buy things she needs. So don’t have to worry about her. Don’t look at her all soft and quiet. Her taekwondo is scary.” Mr. Park joked and Soobin hit his arm softly.

“Anyway, Take good care of her. I hope to see her fatter when she comes back. Don’t bully her. I don’t think you would dare to.” Mr. Park laughed.

“Appa!” Soobin exclaimed.

“OK ok. Donghae ah, please take good care of her. She has really bad motion sickness. So please look after her. He said with a worried look on his face.

“I will.” I said. After checking in, Soobin and I bid Mr. Park goodbye. Soobin gave him a hug before we went into the gates.

During the meal we had at the airport, Soobin popped a few pills into . I guess it must be her motion sickness pills. When we got onto the plane. I could see her face change immediately. All thanks to Mr. Park. We are able to take Business class back. It was also because he wanted Soobin to have a more comfortable ride.

“Go to sleep. It would be better.” I told her and she nodded her head. Her father told me before that she had always hates Airplane food as it would make her more uncomfortable. When the food came, I told the stewardess that she didn’t want it and she took her food away.

When we finally landed in Taiwan, I woke her up.

“Are we here already?” She asked, rubbing her eyes.

After settling all the things at the airport and collecting our luggage, we took a taxi back to my apartment. During the ride, she fell asleep again. I was afraid she would hit her head against the taxi, I placed her head on my shoulder. It was a one and a half hour trip to my apartment so I myself took a short nap.

When we were almost there, I woke up and directed the driver to where it exactly is before waking Soobin up. When she got into my apartment, she opened her eyes in awe. This apartment was given to me by the company. It was actually too big for myself but I guess with her around it would not be that bad anymore.

“This is your room.” I opened the door to the room next to mine which was one of the guest rooms.

“I didn’t know you were coming back with me so I couldn’t do anything to the room. I hope it’s ok with you.” I said since the room had nothing other than a table, a closet and a bed.

Since it was close to Midnight, I decided to let her get used to her room. The room she was using had a toilet so it would be convenient for her to use the bathroom in the middle of the night without having to travel too far.

When I got back to my room, I realized that at work I must be having piles of work waiting for me. I guess this is just my life. Nothing out of the extraordinary. I took a quick shower and went to bed. I’m going to start my mundane routine all over again.

The next morning, I woke up to a fragrant of food. It was as if I was still in Korea. I opened my eyes in shock as I realized I have already came back to Taiwan. I rubbed my eyes and found myself in my Apartment bedroom. I dragged myself out of bed into the kitchen to see someone cooking. She is definitely not the housekeeping lady. It was my wife to be.

“Oh you’re awake. Breakfast will be ready soon. You can go wash up.” She said gently and I went to wash up.

During breakfast, it was quite silent so I spoke up first.

“Do you need me to bring you around today?” I asked

“I can manage. You have work to do anyway. I’ll be fine.” She said. After I finished, my food I left for work and now my boring life begins again.

End of Donghae’s POV