Farewell

Willing Promise

Soobin’s POV

On the plane, Donghae fell asleep almost instantly. I guess it must have been the horrible hang over this morning. He didn’t wake up till about 3pm in the afternoon and he didn’t look that well either.

During breakfast time, Donghae was still asleep. I asked him if he wanted anything to eat, but he just shook his head and curled back into my shoulders and sleep. I wasn’t much a fan of Airplane food, so I passed. IN close to 2 hours, we’ll be landing and most probably after this time, I don’t think I’d step foot on Taiwan soil for a long time.

Because we took the flight empty handed, we strolled through immigration and walked out of the airport almost instantly. Because we didn’t have breakfast, we had to stop someplace for breakfast.

“How about Eunhyuk’s place?” I asked.

“I guess we have to bid him goodbye.” Donghae said. I then realize we’ll really be leaving him behind now.

When we got back to our old living estate, We looked around the ever familiar surroundings while walking towards Eunhyuk’s little café. When we got there, he was just done with opening his shop. When he saw us, he looked utterly delighted.

“Finally!” He exclaimed as he pulled each of us into a hug. However, when I looked at Donghae’s face, he looked a little displeased but he knows it’s just a hug. We ate and talked and it then came the time where we have to tell him the truth.

“Eunhyuk…” Donghae said, breaking the silence from our previous conversation.

“Yeah?” He answered with a lesuire tone.

“We’re moving.” Donghae said, but I can see he didn’t know how to break the news to Eunhyuk.

“You guys already moved didn’t you?” He said. Donghae was silent so I decided to help him. Even though it’s difficult, but we can’t keep this dragging.

“We’re moving back to Korea.” I said and I could see the change in Eunhyuk’s look. We are the only people he actually know here. Other than us, he doesn’t have any friends or people he was close to. The atmosphere was awkward and silent when we left.

“I’ll visit when I go back to Korea!” He waved when we left. I gave him a hug, knowing he’s keeping it strong. The Eunhyuk I know is a emotional guy. Donghae gave him a pat on the back as we left.

“Do you think he’s ok?” I asked Donghae and he nodded. We then made our way back to our house. Donghae on the other hand had to go back to the company to settle his things. I decided that since Donghae had to settle all his company things here before he can get transferred to Korea, I can go and spend sometime with my friends here, especially Eunhyuk.

“I’ll be back soon.” Donghae said as he changed into his suit and gave me a peck on my forehead before leaving to work. I waved him goodbye before taking a rest. I also need to make an appointment with the gynecologist to take my reports before transferring to a Korea gynecologist.

When I woke up, it was close to 3pm in the afternoon. I called the hospital and called a few friends in Taiwan, catching up with life. They were really shocked with my abrupt resignation. I told them I’ll only be back for a week or 2 at most and they all wanted to meet up. I also spoke to Victoria and she said that we have to have dinner together with Donghae before we left. I was suppose to introduce him to her but till now, there’s nothing.

“How was your day?” Donghae asked as he took off his tie.

“Took a nap, called a few people and make an appointment at the Hospital.” I said.

“Hospital?”

“I need to get the report for my pregnancy so that I can be referred in Korea without much hassle.”

“I have a Gynecoogist friend in Korea. Maybe we can refer to her. I heard she’s quite known.” Donghae said.

“I’m fine with anywhere. I don’t think I’ll be working anytime soon.” I said and Donghae smiled and gave me a peck on my cheek before heading to shower while I set the table.

He came home early today. It’s barely 7pm and he’s already home. That night, dinner was nice. Donghae smiled his shy smile and made me smile. My little boy.  However, that night, something happened.

I woke up in the middle of the night, not knowing why I woke up till I heard a voice, Donghae’s voice.

“No.” He murmured. He was perspiring and his body look tense. What was happening?

“No! Don’t!” I heard him, louder this time before his whole body shook and I realize it’s a nightmare and I tried to shake him awake.

“Donghae, Donghae wake up!” I shook him as hard as I could before his eyes snapped open and what I think I see is fear in his eyes.

“Are you ok?” I asked as in took a deep breath, sitting up leaning against the head board.

“I’m ok.” He said.

“You’re ok now. It’s only a bad dream.” I comforted him and he smiled at me wearily.

The next day, when I woke up, he had already gone to work. I then got myself ready and went to the hospital to take my report. It didn’t take long and I went to Eunhyuk’s café. As it was past lunch time, his café was less crowded. We talked when there was no customers.

“Ever thought about moving back to Korea?” I asked Eunhyuk since he never really told me about his life in Korea.

“I had thought about it, but maybe after staying here for a little while more.” He said with a sad smile. Maybe something had happened in Korea that made him look so sad.

Eunhyuk gave me a whole cake to bring home that day. I had refused but he insisted. I would miss his pastries when I leave for Korea.

When I went home, the memory of last night came back. I hope Donghae is doing ok. I hope maybe this cake would cheer him up.

When he got home, he looked like he was in a good mood. He gave me a peck on my cheeks before going into our room to shower and prepare for dinner.

“What’s for dinner today?” He asked when he came out, drying his hair with the towel.

“Want to guess?” I asked him

“Hmmm…. I would guess Seaweed dwaenjang soup.” He said and he was right. He had a really sharp nose to begin with.

“I shall give you a prize then.” I said and his face lit up even more.

“A prize?”

“Yup. Something you’d definitely like.” I said before taking out the cake and he totally exploded with Joy.

“You went over to Eunhyuk’s place today?” He asked as we took our seats at the dining table and started with dinner.

“I guess we won’t be here long, spend more time with him to cheer him up. Besides, we didn’t really fulfill our promise of visiting him often.” I said.

“Maybe Before leaving we can have a nice dinner with him, say our official goodbyes.” Donghae offered.

“That would be good. But did you confirmed when we will leave?” I asked.

“In a weeks time. I have settled everything in Taiwan for the next person to take over and after Thursday, we’ll pack up the house and leave next Tuesday.” Donghae said.

We left the topic of leaving alone as we finished dinner as Donghae offered to do the dishes. He asked me to rest since I must have been busy the whole day. He asked if I was feeling ok and was I nauseas. I have been feeling much better recently as compared to the time when Donghae and I were living apart.

It seems like time flew past quickly. Tomorrow was the day that Donghae and I are returning to Korea and I’m preparing for Dinner together with Donghae and Eunhyuk.

“You ready?” Donghae asked as I touched up my makeup. Placing down my brush, I walked over to Donghae before leaving the house to meet Eunhyuk in his café. We made a reservation at a restaurant round the corner from Eunhyuk’s café so that we can have more time to catch up and say our goodbyes.

“How I wish he can go back to Korea with us.” I said.

“I wish too, but he doesn’t want to. Maybe something disturbed him back there. One day he will come back.” Donghae said as he parked the car and got out.

“Let’s go.” Donghae said as he led me into Eunhyuk’s Café where he sat down waiting for us. When he saw us, his eyes lit up and greeted us with a smile.

During Dinner, Eunhyuk, Donghae and I talked like we were old friends. Laughing at anything under the sun. Especially when Donghae and Eunhyuk talked about their old days, I could really see how thick their bonds are. The more I look at this scene, I cannot bear to leave this place. The place where I created so much memories. The place where I first fell in love and the place where I found my first Korean friend.

When Dinner was over, I really didn’t want to leave. I could tell Donghae didn’t want to leave Eunhyuk behind.

“Why don’t you come back with us?” Donghae asked.

“One day I will. But not now.” Eunhyuk said.

“Then till that day.” Donghae said as they gave each other a friendly hug.

“Till that day.” Eunhyuk said.

“Al the best Eunhyuk.” I said as he gave me a hug too.

“I want to be your child’s god father.” Eunhyuk said as he pulled away.

After a long and reluctant farewell, we walked our own ways. Donghae held onto my hand and wanted to lead me to the car but I pulled him back. He looked back and gave me a questioning look.

“Let us walk around a little more.” I said and Donghae nodded. We walked the opposite direction of our car and enjoyed the night scenery of Taipei.

Even though shops were starting to close and there were lesser ad lesser people walking on the streets, I felt that I didn’t want to stop walking.

“Are you feeling ok?” Donghae asked as he placed more of my weight on him. I was fine. I guess he was worried that I would be too tired because of the baby.

“I’m fine. I just want to look at this place more.” I said.

When I finally got tired, we head back home. That night, I had a beautiful dream. A dream that I hope could last forever.

The next morning, before leaving our house for good, I took one last look at it. It looked exactly like the time when we moved in. Except the walls are empty since we removed the pictures. Donghae held onto my hand when he brought me out.

“Let’s go” He said and I nodded. I looked as the door closed as I took a last glimpse of our house.

I didn’t know why but the entire journey back to Seoul didn’t feel as long as I thought it would be. In a blink of an eye, we were back in Seoul and there, welcoming us at the arrival hall were both of our parents.

“Omo! How have you been?” Omma hugged me and took a good look at me. Till now they still don’t know why we’re back for good. Donghae had decided to break the news to them tonight during dinner.

“Omoni. How have you been? Let us talk on the way?” Donghae said as he know I’m feeling a little exhausted after the plane trip.

“Sure. Let’s go.” And we were on our way to a new journey.