Changes

Willing Promise

 

Soobin’s POV

Now the journey really begins. I’m no longer going to Taiwan as Donghae’s friend or fiancée, but I’m going to Taiwan as his wife. Ever since the other day when he stayed over at my place, I cannot look at him straight in the eye. It makes me remember that awkward feeling I had in my chest.

“Morning.” I heard as I saw Donghae placing his brief case on the chair and he slung his blazer on the chair. He was trying to tie his tie, but it seems like he was having some problems.

“Let me.” I said as I washed my hands and helped him with his tie. Without looking at him, I can feel him burning holes into my forehead. As I tightened it, I looked up at him, to meet his eyes for the first time in weeks.

“um… take a seat. I’ll get coffee.” I said awkwardly before getting his coffee. Before he left for work, I helped him into his blazer and passed to him his briefcase at the door.

“I’ll be home by 7.” He smiled as squeezed my hand lightly.

When he left, I felt more at ease. I don’t know why I am feeling this way. It’s not that I hate him, but it’s just I get this strange feeling whenever I’m around him.

I then decided to go look for a job to forget all these things. I changed my clothes and walked around the neighbourhood. I bought a few job magazines and newspapers. As I walked, I found a nice looking café down the street which I have never seen before the last time I came to Taiwan. As I walked to the glass window, I saw that it was empty inside. I had thought it was closed, but the sign at the door said welcome, meaning it was open.

As I pushed the door open, I saw a man standing up behind the counter quickly.

“Welcome!” He said with a bright smile.

“(Chinese) I’ll have a caramel macchiato and a slice of…..”

“(Korean) our chocolate fudge cake is our cake of the day today.” He said with a smile.

“(Korean) You’re Korean?” I asked

“Yeah. I just moved here about a year ago.” He said as he continues to take my order as I went to take a seat.

“You’re place is really quiet.” I said as I looked around when he served me my drink and cake.

“ I just opened yesterday so the business is still slow.” He looked kind of down.

“Don’t worry. It’ll get better. Why don’t you sit down. Since we both seem free.” I smiled as he took the offer and took a seat.

“After talking for so long, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Lee Hyukjae.” He said.

“Park Soobin” we shook hand and talked about many things.

I found out he is actually a pastry chef, but he was very bored of his busy life so he decided to open a shop on his own and after working in Taiwan for a year, he decided to stay. The place was really nice.

“How long have you been here?” He asked.

“3 months. I just came back a few days ago.” I said.

“So this time how long will you be staying?”

“I’m staying for good this time. So now I have to look for a job.” I smiled.

For ours we chatted and Hyukjae was really nice to help me find a job in the newspaper and magazines. I don’t really know what I wanted to do, until I saw an article.

‘(Chinese) Korean language teacher wanted at National Taiwan University.’  This seem like it can fit me quite well. I took note of it before I continued looking. Maybe being a teacher will not be that bad. After all there’s nothing I can do unless I be a translator.

After realizing it was quite late, I went home to prepare dinner for Donghae. I really have to throw aside the strange feeling. After all, we’re married and will be living together forever. I cannot ignore him for life.

“I’m home.” I heard the door closing as I was setting the table. I went to the door and took his briefcase while taking off his blazer for him.

“How was your day?” I asked him with a smile as he looked shocked.

“Busy.” He chuckled as he passed me a bag with 2 cups. I then realized it was bubble tea.

“I’ll finish setting the table while you go and change.” I said as he went to his room.

During dinner, we were quiet at first. But when I looked at him, I cannot stop laughing. His mouth was filled to the brim with pearls and food.

“I didn’t know you like bubble tea so much.” I laughed as he just smiled at me.

“I have a proposal.” He said.

“I think we have to sleep on the same bed from now on.” He said in a serious tone as I stopped what I was doing.

“I…”

“We don’t have to do it immediately. But we have to starting having an idea of it. “ He said and I nodded. We’re a married couple after all.

Since Donghae has been sleeping in the master bedroom all the while, I guess I’ll need to move into his room. He went into the study straight after dinner, working on his proposals. I moved my necessities into his room since he’s already said it, I cannot not do it.

When I was done, I went into the study to find him asleep on the table. Looking at the clock, it was close to 11pm.

“Donghae… Donghae…” I shook him, wanting to ask him to go and sleep on the bed which is more comfortable. He dragged himself into the bedroom and fell back asleep without even going under the covers. I tidied up his study before going to sleep as well.

End of Soobin’s POV

Donghae’s POV

When I woke up the next morning, I felt like it was any other day. However, I was up earlier than usual. I was about to grab my glasses when I saw female products on the table. Doesn’t all these belong to Soobin? I thought in my head before I realized another person on my bed through the reflection in the mirror. I turned around to find Soobin sound asleep.

She took my words seriously so quickly? I only mentioned it yesterday and she had already done it. I didn’t want to rush her, but allowing her to take her own time, but she did it immediately. It was all I can think about when I took a shower and wash up. When I got to the dining room, the table was set with breakfast and coffee as usual.

“Morning.” I greeted her as she smiled at me and came to adjust my tie.

“I didn’t think you would take it so seriously.” I said during breakfast as she looked at me.

“About sharing the bed. I thought we could take things slowly. I didn’t mean to rush you.” I said.

“It’s ok. We’re married it’s normal to be sharing a bed.” She replied gently as she continued having her breakfast.

“I’ll be looking for jobs now.” She spoke up.

“Do you need help?” I asked.

“I found a nice teaching job at National Taiwan University. I’m going to interview for it.” She said with an excited expression.

“You’ll get it for sure.” I encouraged her since it’s her first time to be looking for a job.

After breakfast, she sent me off as usual, but instead of sending me at the door, she walked me all the way to my car.

“I’m going to the café at the end of the street. Can you drive me there?” She asked and I nodded my head. I felt like we were much closer now as compared to the time when we’re in Korea. Maybe it’s because now, we only have each other to depend on.

That day, I’ve finally finished one of my big projects so I was granted to leave earlier. When I got home, it was barely 5pm. I was expecting to be greeted with a view of Soobin cooking dinner, but the house was empty. Where could she have gone to?

I tried my luck with the café down the street and indeed she was there. However, what caused me to stop in my footsteps was that she was laughing so happily with another guy who looked seemly familiar. I walked towards them slowly and I realize who it was.

“Lee Hyuk Jae!” I exclaimed to find him turning around shocked before a smile crept on his face.

“Lee Dong Hae!” As we both pull each other into a hug. We were so into our moment we broke off only when Soobin spoke up.

“You two know each other?” she asked with a puzzled look.

“We were the closest of friend till university.” Hyukjae said.

“I didn’t expect to see you here!” He exclaimed.

“So did I! Why are you here?”

“I quit my job at the hotel as a patisserie and opened my own shop but it doesn’t look good.” He said a little disappointed with himself.

“No worries. Soobin and I will support you. Right?” I looked at Soobin as she nodded her head.

“Thanks. You two know each other?” He asked before I laughed.

“She’s my wife.”

“WIFE?!” Eunhyuk exclaimed and I almost went deaf.

“Why are you so shocked?” Soobin laughed at his reaction.

“I was totally going to hit on you! Damn.” He muttered to himself before Soobin and I burst out into another fit of laughter. When we left the café, Soobin became the quiet Soobin which I know of. How can I make her smile like how she smiles towards Hyukjae? Does she like him? She didn’t tell him that she was married in the first place.

“I’ll make you dinner. You can have a shower first while I prepare dinner.” She said but all the thoughts in my mind was what really happened between the both of them.

“I’m not hungry.” I said before I headed to take a shower, hoping to wash all the problems away. That night, I locked myself in my study room, working everything away. Without realizing, I fell asleep in my study room, leaving Soobin in the bedroom all alone.

When I woke up the next morning, I found myself in my study room. When I went to the kitchen to grab a drink of water, I found food which was prepared last night. I guess Soobin might have thought I would be hungry. However, still being slightly upset about what happened, I went into the bedroom. However, what shocked me the most that Soobin was not found sleeping on the bed, but by the bay window with a book on her hands. Was she waiting for me?

I was about to wake her up when she stirred. She rubbed her eyes and got a shock when she saw me standing quite near her. We greeted each other as I went to do my usual routine. When I came out from the bedroom, all dressed up and ready to go, I found her standing in front of the stove with a tissue on her hand, pressing her nose before sneezing consecutively.

“Are you sick?” I asked as I poured coffee in my mug.

“I’m fine.” She said before going into another round of sneezing.

“I think you better go and see the doctor.” I suggested, but she insisted that she would be fine after resting and eating medicine. I nodded my head and after breakfast, I left for work. However, I should have stayed behind instead of going to work.

End of Donghae’s POV