Endure

Willing Promise

 

One year later…

“(Chinese)Mrs. Lee, Mr. Zhang would like to see you in his office.” Joey told me as I walked into the office. I nodded my head and went to Mr. Zhang’s office. I wonder why was he looking for me.

“Take a seat.” He said when I entered his office.

“How long have you been with the school?” He asked.

“A year, sir.”

“Would you be interested if the school offered you a full-time job?” Was my ear playing a prank on me? Did the school just offer me a full time job?

“Full-time?”

“Yes. There is an opening at the Dance major and they need someone for the job. We filtered out teacher’s resume from the school and the school thinks you have the most qualities for this job. If you take this job, it’ll be part time as well so you can teach both without any problems.” He said.

Teach dance? Even though I finished all ballet levels, I don’t know if I’m up for it. However, Mr. Zhang said that the Dance major module coordinator said I was perfect for the job, judging from my experience and achievements.

“What did Mr. Zhang talk to you about?” The girls like Ella, Joey and Susie asked when I returned to the office.

“He offered me full-time.” I answered and they all cheered, resulting in a group hug. I couldn’t breathe.

“This calls for celebration!” Ella suggested.

“I’m still considering.” I answered and they quieten down.

The day passed slowly as the thoughts of working full time filled my mind. I didn’t know if I’m ready for it, especially in the dance major. It’s difficult making the decision alone.

“Come, I’ll send you home.” I heard Siwon said after I started to blank out during our conversation.

“There’s no need to put so much thought into it. If you cannot cope, I’m sure the school will help you.” He assured me, placing his hand on the lower of my back, guiding me to the car park. However, I heard my name being called, the voice which I’ve missed.

“(Korean)Donghae!” I exclaimed, suddenly, the dark night seemed brighter. He was leaning against his car, waiting for me. He kissed me softly on the forehead when I got to his side. I waved Siwon goodbye as he walked to his car. I have not seen Donghae for 2 straight days. After he was promoted to Senior executive manager, he was rarely home and went overseas for work often.

“You look tired.” I said as the streetlight shone on his face and he became slimmer and his eyes look tired. He shook his head with a gentle smile before opening the door for me. On the ride home, Donghae yawned a few times.

“You should stay at home and rest. You look so tired.” I said. Seeing him like this breaks my heart. He must have waited for me for a long time.

“It’s ok. I want to spend more time with you. We rarely see each other these few days.” He said.

“Donghae, please take care of yourself. I miss you too, but seeing you like this makes…” I could feel tears rushing to my eyes. After being married, for over a year, he got more and more busy with work, especially after he was promoted. In the past year, he aged a lot. Seeing him like this makes me feel like I haven’t done my job well. That is one reason why I don’t want to work full time.

“Oh Soobin.” Donghae pulled me into a hug as I involuntarily sobbed into his shoulders. I didn’t realize we were home already. He just sat there patiently as he soothed my back, calming me down.

“Sorry. I lost control.” I said, trying to stop the tears flowing as Donghae wiped them away with his thumb. I really miss the time which we could spend together, just us, no work to interfere our quiet time together.

“You look tired too. Is work wearing you out?” He asked me, wiping the remaining tears off my face.

“No. It’s just I’m being offered a job full-time in the school.” I said and I looked at Donghae’s reaction. He looked quite…. Shocked.

“It’s good news, but can you cope with housework and the job?” He asked, with concern written all over his face.

“I have not accepted yet. I thought I should discuss it with you.” I said and he smiled.

“It’s your choice. I’m just afraid you might tire yourself out.” With that, we left the car, walking hand in hand back to our house.

“I don’t know. I’m afraid that if I take the job, we’ll have lesser time for each other.” I said as he intertwined our fingers together, kissing the back of my hand.

“As long as you’re happy, go for what you want.” He smiled.

When we got back into our house, I whipped up a quick meal for the both of us, since Donghae looked really tired. When I finished cooking, Donghae just came out from the shower. I told him to start without me since I take sometime in the shower. However, I know Donghae will never start first, so I took a quick shower and joined him at the dining table.

When we finished dinner, we sat in front of the television, cuddling on the couch. It’s been a long time since we’re able to do this. I felt like I’m really home today. After Donghae got promoted, I come home most of the time, facing a dark empty house. Sometimes in the morning, Donghae would rush off to work even before having breakfast. Being with Donghae like this now, made me treasure the times we have together more.

“Do you want to move to a bigger house?” Donghae asked all of a sudden.

“A bigger house?” Actually no matter what size the house is, as long as there is him, it’s enough.

“Yeah. The company offered me a house nearer to the company. Since I was promoted, I was suppose to move, but they waited till the new apartment near the office was done building then they told me. If you don’t want to move, it’s ok. We can continue to stay here.” He said. However, from the look in his eyes, I know he wanted to move. I don’t mind sacrificing some sleep time to go to work earlier since Donghae would be able to rest more, not needing to travel to and fro from work.

However, we had so much memories here. This place is like where we had our first date, first kiss, and many other firsts. I don’t know if I’m able to leave it all behind. Moving away also means that we’ll be further away from Eunhyuk. He’s one of my first friends here in Taiwan and I really love his pastries.

“I’m ok as long as you’re ok.” I said. No matter what his decision is, I’ll respect it because he’s my husband and I trust he will decide what is best for us.

That night, we had an early night since Donghae was dozing off on the couch and I know how tired he is. Seeing his peaceful expression while he’s sleeping, I wonder when will I be able to see this expression again.

The next morning, Donghae had time to have lunch together with me. I’m glad he doesn’t need to be rushing to work or gobbling down his breakfast before going to work.

“I think I will agree to getting the bigger house. You too should accept the job. It’s a chance that the school is giving you.” He said during breakfast.

“I was thinking about giving it a try. If it doesn’t work out then maybe I’ll quit for good.” I said since quitting for good is the only chance I can spend more time with Donghae. As Donghae had recenty been able to apply for permanent residence in Taiwan, as his wife, I was able to receive the green card, allowing me to stay in Taiwan even if I don’t have a job.

After breakfast, Donghae sent me to work. I guess we have to work hard in our jobs so that we can put our time into good use.

“I’ll see you at home.” He said before giving me a soft kiss on my lips.

I went to look for Mr. Zhang once I got to the office. He was glad that I accepted the job. Almost immediately, he told me to go and report at the Performing arts office. I guess from now on, time would be more tight and workload will be heavier.

“This is our new teacher who is subteaching Korean, Mrs. Lee” I was introduced to the faculty teachers once I got there. However, what shocked me was a familiar face. She waved at me and I was so overwhelmed to see her here.

“What are you doing here?” I asked her after she pulled away from our hug in the pantry.

“I came here for vacation and thought that it’s a good place to settle down.” She said.

Song Qian, my friend from my China exchange programme. Because of our exchange programmes between our school, I got to know her. When she first came to Korea for her exchange programme, I was her buddy and she stayed over at my place for the first few months. I found out we actually had a lot in common and became really good friends. After a year where she had to return to China, I was quite sad.

However, our side in Korea also planned an exchange programme and I will not miss it. So When I got to China, Song qian, who’s also know as Victoria did the same for me. After return to Korea, I thought we would not meet again, however, I guess we’re meant to be friends for life.

“then why are you here in Taiwan?” She asked me and I blushed to think I haven’t contacted her for some time and worst off, I didn’t tell her the biggest news of my life.

“My husband works in Taiwan.” I said and she gasped, shock and excitement burst in her eyes.

“Really? You’re married? I wonder who’s this lucky guy.” She said and I could feel my face heating up more.

“Some day maybe we can have lunch together.” I said and she nodded. It was good to have found a person I know in this school.

I guess it’s really meant to be since I will be taking class with Victoria this semester. To be honest, her dancing is totally in her genes. No wonder she took Korean Major and Dance Major without any problems.

However, it didn’t occur to me that she taught Korean as well. Maybe because she didn’t have a desk at the Language faculty. However, now, I’ll have to move to the Dance faculty as well and bid the Korean faculty people goodbye.  I will really miss the fun times we had together. They had always made me feel that I belong here.

“Dinner together?” Victoria asked me after we finished our last class for the day. Looking at my phone, there was no text from Donghae so I guess he is busy with work tonight.

“Why not?” I said and we took a shower before heading out for dinner.

After dinner, Victoria and I went to a bar to have a few drinks to relax a little. By the time I got home, it was close to 1am. Since it was Tuesday, our classes start late tomorrow. But when I entered our house, it was empty. No sign of anyone in the house. I walked into our joint bedroom to find the bed empty and everything left the way she remembered this morning.

Even though I don’t say anything, but as time goes by, having spend lesser time with Donghae is getting to me. I don’t know how long can I endure…