Dilemma

Willing Promise

 

Soobin’s POV

This was the first time I’m seeing his face so closely and I wonder what I have been doing these past few weeks. His eyes were red, his dark circles were too obvious, his face is so skinny. What happened?

“Soobin?” He called as I looked at him shocked, not moving a single muscle.

“What’s wrong?” He said as he looked at me, as if frightened.

“Donghae, You…” I couldn’t say it. I just cannot allow it to come out from my mouth. What have I done?

“What’s wrong? Tell me.” He said. I closed my mouth and shook my head.

“It’s nothing.” I tried to sound as calm as I could. From the corner of my eyes, I could see him wanted to say something but stopped and went back to eating. This meal was quieter than when I eat at home alone.

After Dinner, Donghae went back to his study as I washed the dishes. How could he overwork to such an extend? I know he’s holding an important position, but isn’t this too much? How I wish he could stay home on Weekends and rest.

I headed to bed and walked past his study. He had so much paper work and he is fighting his urge to sleep. Looking at this sight makes my heart ache. My husband is working his life away while I’m always at home doing nothing. I must get this job. I want to carry some burden off his shoulders. Even though we’re married because of a promise, I cannot just see him like this.

“Donghae, go to bed.” I said as I leaned on the door frame. His head almost dropped onto the table before I said that. After I spoke, his head jolted up and looked at me.

“I’m fine. I still have some work to do.” He said, but his eyes were already threatening to close. I went to his computer and saved his work before dragging him to our room. He really cannot keep this up.

“You won’t be able to stay awake the whole night if you are in this state.” I said as I tucked him in. As the pillow hit his head, his eyes closed and he fell asleep in matter of seconds.

AS I see him breathing slowly, I could see why his Omma always called him an angel. He looked so calm, gentle and innocent when he’s asleep. I really wonder would our marriage really work out. The next morning, I woke up, made breakfast as he came out of our room, all dressed.

“Feeling better?” I asked as he looked a little more energetic today.

“Never better.” He smiled as he took his seat and sipped his coffee.

The day passed really quickly and I was getting more and more nervous as the clock ticked by. Tomorrow is my interview and I’m so nervous. Never in my life had I attended an interview which I deem of much importance.

I lay awake on my bed, not getting any sleep. At close to 2am, I saw Donghae, walking into our bedroom yawning as he went to the empty side of the bed and in a matter of seconds, I heard his constant breathing once again. How I was hoping he would give me some word of encouragement or maybe even tell me you’ll do fine. I guess maybe I’m hoping for too much.

Just by letting my thoughts go astray, I finally fell asleep.

AS I did my mundane routine, I was ready earlier so that I myself could get ready for my interview. Walking out in my beige suit, I saw Donghae reading his papers while sipping his coffee. When he looked up at me, he placed his paper back on the table and the cup back in his saucer.

“You look amazing.” He smiled as I could not help but blush.

“Do you think you can drop me off at NTU?” I asked.

“Of course.” He smiled as we had our breakfast. I was getting really nervous such that I could feel my heart in my throat.

During the drive, a melodic classical piece was playing through the radio as Donghae drove smoothly down the road. AS I could see the school drawing closer, I really want to faint on the spot. This is not good at all.

“You’ll do fine. Believe in yourself ok?” Donghae said as I stepped out of the car. I could feel my heart melting on the spot. He looked at me so sweetly and saying those words of encouragement, it feels like the best day of my life or something.

“Thanks.” I said before he drove off and I walked into the office, asking for directions to the interview area.

(Chinese) “Park Soobin!” I hear my name being called as I stood up and made sure I look presentable before I walked into the office.

“Please take a seat” I heard from one of the interviewers.

“You can start off by introducing yourself.” One said as I took a deep breath and started my first ever interview.

After the interview, I felt more at ease, even though I’m not sure if I made the cut. However, they told me they would contact me in a week’s time to let me know my results and judging by their face, it seems like my impression wasn’t a bad one.

I went home with a smile on my face. I really wanted to break the news to someone but before it’s confirmed, I don’t want to tell Donghae, so I decided to pay Eunhyuk a visit.

His store was a little more quiet today, but there were still people sitting here and there. I went up to the counter where he was, acting like a customer.

(Korean) “ I would like to have a green tea Latte with Soy” I said as his head shot up before a mischievous grin appeared on his face.

“How have you been doing?” He asked as he proceeded to make my order.

“Oh, just the usual.” I said before he realized that I was dressed real formally.

“Where did you go?”

“I just had an interview.” I said, walking to the table near the counter and took a seat.

“So how did it go? Looking at your expression I guess it must have gone well.” He said as he came to my table and set the drink on the table.

“I hope I get this Job. The school seem really nice and to top it off, the pay is good and working hours are short.” I said and he nodded his head, telling me how awesome it would be if I became a teacher at NTU. That afternoon, I spent most of my time at Eunhyuk’s café. I also bought home a cake, wanting to indulge myself in the world of sweetness.

As dinner was ready, I called Donghae to check if he was coming home late. However, I was directed to his voicemail. I guess he might be having a meeting that’s why he turned off his phone. Instead of having dinner, I cut a slice of cake and eat it while watching television.

I guess I had been too tired from the events that happened today that I fell asleep on the couch. When I stirred slightly, I felt as if I was floating in mid air and when I opened my eyes, I saw Donghae’s face close to mine and I got quite a shock.

“Are you ok?” He asked as he placed me on our bed.

“Just a little worn out.” I said and he just nodded his head. No worry written on his face.

“I’ll let you rest then.” With that, he left the room and closed the door behind him. However, I felt hungry and wanted to have dinner and reheat his meal for him, but I didn’t know why he seemed angry. To top it all off, he did not even ask how was my interview. Wasn’t he the one who kept encouraging me?

AS I was deep in thought, I snapped out of it when I heard the smashing of plates on the floor. I rushed out immediately and went into the kitchen to find Donghae crouching on the floor, trying to pick up the pieces.

“I’ll do it. You’ll get cut like this.” I said.

“It’s ok… ouch.” I heard him writhe in pain and saw that he got cut by one of the pieces. I held onto his hand and let him to the living room as I got out the first aid kit. He sat there quietly, looking as I treat his injury.

After I was done, I cleaned up the mess and reheated dinner. Dinner was silent, other than the fact that he hissed in pain a few times. I set down my utensils as I took the seat beside him.

“I’ll do it.” I said, hoping he’ll pass me his chopsticks, but he didn’t budge.

“You’ll never finish with the rate you’re eating. Let me help you.” I said before he turned his head away, but passing me his chopsticks. I fed him mouthful by mouthful as he ate slowly, not meeting my eyes. Looking at him, even though he is a grown man, he is still like a small child who needs his mother’s love.

After dinner, Donghae took a short rest by watching some television on the couch as I cut some fruits for him. totally forgetting about his hands, I served him a plate of oranges. He looked at me confused before I realized about his hands.

Peeling off it’s skin, I fed him. At the last piece of orange, he bit it in such a way that the juice seeped out of his mouth. Not thinking quick enough, I used my hands to wipe it off. When I realized what I was doing, I looked up at him and he was looking straight into my eyes.

I felt a surge of energy pouring out from his eyes as I felt his face inching closer to mine. My heart was racing and I couldn’t move. I know what he’s about to do and I don’t know if I’m ready for this. If we’re ready for this. What if it’s just at the heat of the moment? However, as thoughts ran through my head, I felt his lips on mine as my eyes flutter close unknowingly.

I opened my eyes and saw him looking at me tenderly. I felt a blush creep up my cheeks as I felt my face hot. Wanting to hide, I took the plate and went into the kitchen before hiding in our bedroom. Knowing he would be working most of his time away, I felt a little more safe from the awkward situation we just had.

As I lay on the bed, thoughts ran through my head and the scene that just happened kept replaying in my mind. I wanted to get it away, but it can’t. What’s worst is I felt the bed dip and I know Donghae is going to sleep. Knowing that’s he’s beside me, I felt my heart racing and it made it impossible for me to want to fall asleep.

AS I had my eyes closed, I didn’t know how far away he was and what he was doing. However, after a while, I felt a hand brushing my fringe away from my face before a light peck on my forehead ‘Good night’ was whispered, thinking that I won’t hear it.

I think we made quite a big step today. We don’t really communicate and yet we’re kissing? I think it might be going too fast. We’re so awkward that it doesn’t feel romantic. It’s more embarrassing and awkward than romantic. We really have to solve this problem soon.