Home

Willing Promise

 

For the next few days, I did not see Donghae at all. After his promotion as ‘Senior Executive Director’ He was rarely home and had always lived in his office as I always say. During the weekends, he was also not home. I would always hope he’ll at least be home during the weekends, but luck was not on my side.

“I haven’t seen him for a long time.” Hyukjae said as I dropped by his café.

“Same here.” I said, but I shouldn’t have said that.

“The both of you live under one roof you see him every day. Unless…” His tone was a little worried with a hint of nervousness.

“Unless?” I tried to pry but he won’t say anything.

“I’m just being stupid. It’s nothing.” He tried to brush it off, but I know, Hyukjae can never lie.

“It doesn’t look like it’s nothing. Don’t make me ignore you.” I said.

“Ok. Ok. Unless maybe he’s…. cheating?” Eunhyuk said and I stopped breathing for a second. I have never thought of that he might be… cheating.

Nowadays, even when he comes home, he just goes to sleep and the next morning he’ll go to work, like as if our home were a hotel, but he’d been sweet that day.

“I don’t think so.” I brushed it off.

“I was just being stupid. Ignore me.” We tried to laugh it off, but the atmosphere became awkward between us. After a little while, I left to go home. I need time alone to process what Hyukjae said. There might be a possibility.

Our relationship is built on rocks. We never really dated and maybe, just maybe, he might be sick of me already. He never call and text me anymore. As if I had nothing to do with him. At that moment, my phone buzzed.

‘Let’s have dinner together tonight. I’ll make up for the time we have not spent together. – Donghae’

Maybe I was really thinking too much, or Hyukjae’s thought influenced me. I was glad to be able to see Donghae today. I miss him so much that I feel like I’m about to break down. I spent time to dress up and beautify myself.

However, when evening came, the door opened and when I saw him, I couldn’t help but pull him into an embrace and cried. He was shocked at my sudden outburst, but all that matters now is that he’s here.

“What’s wrong?” Donghae asked and he sounded worried.

“I… miss…. You” I sobbed. This time was the first time I went about not seeing him for such a long time. Normally it’ll only be 1 or 2 days. However, this time, I haven’t seen him for 5 days. Even though he didn’t say anything, but he comforted me by my back gently, calming me down from my outburst.

“I’m sorry I neglected you. It’s just work’s been busy. But I managed to apply leave for next week so we can move house.” He said and I looked at him. He was really excited. No matter what his decision is, I’ll support him.

Donghae had actually wanted to bring me out for dinner, but since we’re going to leave our current house in a week’s time, we decided to spend more time at home. He helped me to remove my make up and released my hair from the hairdo I did.

“When we move, I think we should hire a part time maid. The house would be bigger and since you’re working full time now, I don’t want you to tire yourself out too much. The company has changed one of the rooms to a studio so you can practice in that studio too.” He said and I was shocked. He even asked for a room to be changed just for me.

“You didn’t have to do that. I can do it in school before coming back.” I said.

“Someday, I would want to see you dance.” He smiled.

I looked at him and all I can see in his eyes are that genuine care and concern he has for me. The things he did for me today and all the things he said, make me believe and trust in him more. My husband is working so hard for us and I must not let him down in any other way.

The night passed with us cuddling on the couch and watching romance movies. However, halfway through the second movie, Donghae fell asleep. He must have not been sleeping well these past few days. Today, as he’s home, he should not be robbed of the chance to sleep on the bed. Even though I didn’t want to, I woke him up so that he can go rest on the bed.

“I’m ok. We can continue.” He said, but his eyes were struggling to open.

“I’m tired. Let’s go sleep.”I faked a yawn and turned off the television.

That night, Donghae had finally gotten a good rest. However, I had to leave for work the next morning. Even though I would rather stay in bed with Donghae, I had to go to school to apply for leave to move house. I don’t think Donghae can handle everything.

When I left the house, I went to school hoping that the head of department would approve of my leave. I hope that taking this week’s packing time, we can spend more time together.

“Ok. You get to take a week’s leave. However, during the grading week, you’ll have to come and invigilate as well. Is that clear?” I nodded my head.  

After leaving the school after a long day at work, Song Qian left to meet with someone which she insist is not her boyfriend, so I have to go home alone.

“Soobin!” I heard my name and turned to see Siwon waving in my direction.

“I can give you a lift home.” He said. When Donghae doesn’t pick me up and on days where he sees me, he’ll always offer me a ride home.

The ride home was filled with small talk. Siwon never failed to make me feel comfortable. He always tells me stories about his girlfriend and him and the funny times they had. Sometimes, I want to feel how would it be like if Donghae and I had small moments which we could look back to.

“We’re here.” Siwon’s voice broke me from my trance. I look out to see my house which I’m going to move out from.

“Thanks Siwon. I’m moving house this week so I won’t be in school. I’ll see you when I’m back?” I said and Siwon nodded his head before he went to open the door for me. However, I think I’ve been having a long day and I felt a little dizzy.

“Soobin ah! Are you alright?” Siwon asked as I almost collapse on the floor if Siwon had not place his hands on my shoulder and waist.

“I’m ok. Just tired.” I can feel my head throbbing slightly. When I look up, I saw someone which I hope was not there. He walked towards us before grabbing my hand not too hard but very harshly. I looked at Siwon and he look at me apologetically. I think I’m in deep trouble now.

In the lift, it was silent, however, Donghae held tightly onto me. I still feel weak in my legs. He supported me back to our house before getting me a glass of water.

“You feeling better?” He asked gently, but from his eyes, I could see him digging into my mind.

“I’ll be fine after some rest.” I said since this had happened quite often when I was studying. His harden gaze dropped before it changed into the usual gentle gaze. I wanted to stand up but he stopped me.

“What do you need?” He asked me.

“I need to do the laundry and shower before grading some papers and pack the house. I took 1 week’s leave from school so that we can move together.”

“Tonight, just rest. The rest of the things I will do. The movers won’t come till Friday. We have 4 more days. Don’t worry ok? Just rest.” He said before carrying me to the bathroom. I understand how he wanted to help me, but there are too many things to do.

After showering, I felt way better than before. I went into the kitchen to find Donghae trying to sort the clothes, but to no avail.

“Let me do it.” I said, but he didn’t budge. I took a seat on the barstool and decided to tell him which is which would be better. Since he doesn’t allow me to do, I shall direct him. After a few minutes, he was done and threw the clothes into the washing machine.

I walked into our shared bedroom and sat on the bed, trying to grade some papers before going to sleep. However, Donghae took them and placed it on the table at the far side of our bedroom. He sighed before giving me a kiss on my forehead.

“Let’s go to sleep. You need it and we need energy to pack ok?” He smiled before we both went to sleep. I could get use to Donghae pampering me, however, I know he wanted to talk about what happened downstairs.

The next morning, I woke up with the Sun already shining high in the sky. I looked beside me to find Donghae still fast asleep. It’s been a long time that he was able to rest at home. He was always everywhere but home. I brushed his bangs from his face, seeing him sleeping so soundly, so calm, so deep, I won’t bear to wake him up. Since we’re both free, I’ll let him sleep in more. I lay on the bed, getting comfortable since I haven’t been able to laze around much lately.

“Not waking up?” I heard Donghae’s deep voice. I turned to look to find him stretching, wanting to wake up. Sometimes I hope I could always see him like this, carefree and young, not the serious Manager in the business Suit.

We took turns to shower before Donghae suggested we have breakfast at Eunhyuk’s café. It’s been long since we’ve went there together and how I missed Eunhyuk and his crappy jokes. Eunhyuk was more than delighted to see us. Going on and on how we’ve thrown him away and stuff like this. This man is emotional.

“I guess he doesn’t know we’re moving.” I told Donghae as we took our seat. Donghae shook his head and we both laughed.

“You know what hyuk?” Donghae said when he served us our food.

“What?” He asked, looking sad as ever.

“We’ve moving away.” Donghae said and Eunhyuk looked like he’s about to cry.

“See! You guys are throwing me away permanently!” Eunhyuk whined as he took a seat.

“We promise to visit.” I said.

“No you won’t! See how busy you guys are!”

“Hyuk…” Donghae said.

“I’m just kidding. I know you’ll visit. You can never resist my pastries.” Eunhyuk said, attempting to hide his tears.

When we left his Shop, Donghae and I promised to visit him often. Donghae then that he should find his other half so he won’t come and disturb us. Donghae then drove us to our new house. Looking from the exterior, it is way classier than our previous house. Leading us into the lobby, the Security greeted us before Donghae punched the 10th button. This building has 12 levels and we’re living on the 10th.

When we got out of the lift, there was only 2 doors in the corridor. Guiding me to the one on the right, Donghae keyed in the security code and opened the door, revealing a totally unexpected apartment. It was at least 3 times bigger than the one we have now. There’s a living room, balcony, kitchen, dining room, 3 bedroom, 1 study, 1 studio and 3 toilets.

There are more rooms and each room is bigger than our previous house.

“Do you like it?” He asked. The place was already fully furnished and what caught my attention was in the room I assume is the master bedroom, hung our wedding picture, one with the formal gown and the other casual wedding picture. It look so beautiful hanging in our new home.

“I love it.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Readers please comment! 

Hope to hear comments about this story 

I don't know if it's worth continuing.