Trauma

Willing Promise

 

Donghae’s POV

“What was your childhood like?” Soobin asked me and I wondered what sparked that question. But I realize I know nothing about her past either. Just vague information but never fine details.

“I stayed in Mokpo for most of my childhood days and once I reached high school, My parents sent me to Seoul to study and up till university, I was staying in Seoul. And after that, I moved to Taiwan for a job after my army service.” I told her briefly.

“What kind of place is Mokpo like?” She asked.

“Like the sea.” I said and smiled.

She looked out of the window most of the time, looking at the passing scenery. For a year now we’ve been together and for a year, I felt like I’ve never treated her well. Other than times where we would go on vacation together and other days, she would be all alone while I work.

“Donghae, do you want children?” She asked and I stopped the car. I was glad we already reached our new house.

“What?” I didn’t know if I heard her correctly.

“It’s nothing.” She said as I could see her shocked and dejected expression.

As the movers moved the things into our new house, Soobin was nowhere in sight. I finaly found her in the study. She was looking at a particular picture lovingly, it gently. I leaned on the doorframe, looking at her smiling sweetly. What was she looking at.

She looked up at me and her smile dropped slightly before she looked away awkwardly. I went over and her eyes followed me. I looked at the picture on the table which she placed down and it was a picture we took in the studio, the photo which she was smiling so happily and we looked so happy.

“You tired?” I asked her as I thumbed her shoulders gently.

“Not really.” She said.

Even though I’ve always known that between us there’s this distance, but I know our hearts are close by. Maybe it’s because I don’t really know how to express my feelings. Seeing her brushing her fingers on the table and counter tops, she seem so carefree and relaxed, but I felt like I’m giving her so much burden. I know she doesn’t really want to move house, but to allow me to make my life easier, she agreed to move, even though it will be further away from her school. I don’t know how will she go to work. I can drive her, but I don’t know if she’s willing to let me drive her.

“What are you thinking about?” She asked me, placig her hands gently on my shoulders.

“You.” I said and I could see an obvious blush on her face. I noticed we’ve been too secretive about our feelings. I need to break that wall.

“Do you want to know what was I thinking about?” I asked and she nod shyly.

“I was thinking if you’ll let me continue driving you to work.” I said and she looked at me seriously.

“Donghae, you know why I agreed to move.” She said and I know her answer is no.

“Then how would you go to work? We’re living further from your work place now.”

“I can take public transport. It’s not a big deal. At most if you’re worried, I can go take a driving test to convert my license to one in Taiwan.”She said.

“I’d go with the driving test.” I said. At least she can use my car and I won’t need to worry if she comes home too late.

In the evening, we were done moving. We moved each box to it’s allocated rooms so that it’s much easier to unpack. When I was done with the study, I went to Soobin’s personal space to see that that area was aready unpacked and she was not in the room. I saw light pouring from the master bedroom so I went in to take a look, but she wasn’t there either. I guess she must be in the walk in wardrobe. When I went in, I saw her hanging my clothes nicely on the rack to the left.

“you’re done?” She asked and I nodded.

“Do you need any help?” I asked and she shook her head. Then silence enveloped us until my stomach rumbled loudly. She looked at me and laughed, more like giggled as I look down, embarrassed.

“Hungry?” She asked as she stood up. I scratched the back of my head and nodded, I didn’t realize how hungry I was till that moment. She laughed as she took my hand and led me to the kitchen. In the fridge, she had already kept all the chilled food. She took out some eggs, kimchi and sausages.

“Is ramen ok? If not I can make rice for you.” She said. However, seeing what a long day we had, I settled for a simple meal.

“Ramen’s ok.” I said and she started cooking.

I had no idea cooking ramen need so much skill. She placed a appropriate amount of water before putting in the powder than the noodles. When the noodles turned softer, she cracked in the egg and threw in the sausages. After a little while, she poured it in a bowl and place some kimchi on top.

“Here you go.” She said and I was famished. I was about to eat when it came to me. She wasn’t eating?

“You’re no eating?” I asked her and she shook her head.

“I’m not very hungry.” She said but as seeing how skinny she is, she has to eat. After taking a mouthful of noodles, I placed the next mouthful of noodles on a spoon and placed it in front of . She didn’t want to eat it at first, but with my perseverance, she opened and ate it.

Even though I have a big appetite, sharing with her a bowl of ramen made me fuller than having a huge feast. I realized that actually seeing her eat made me ful and made my heart full as well. After doing the dishes, she wanted to go back to unpacking, but I stopped her. She had worked hard all evening. She should take a rest.

AS we washed up and got ready for bed, Soobin does everything that a wife would do and more. I wonder what kind of luck had I got for me to marry such a good wife like her. As we climbed onto bed, we faced each other. I looked into her eyes and she didn’t look away. I reached out and place my hand on her cheeks. She closed her eyes, going to sleep. I pulled her closer and she didn’t retaliate, but allow me to hold her. In no time, I heard her constant breathing, telling me she’s asleep. Listening to her constant breathing, I myself fell into sleep in no time.

“Donghae, Donghae.” I heard my name being called as I opened my eyes slowly to find Soobin looking at me and I realized it was already morning. Looking at the clock, it was already 10am.

“2 more days before we go back into the real world. What would you like to do?” I asked Soobin during breakfast. She apparently unpacked the rest of the clothes while I was asleep.

“Anything you’d like to do. I’m fine even if you want to stay at home.” She said and I smiled.

That weekend, I felt that it was my best weekend however, things started to change after that…

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

On Monday morning, I woke up earlier to prepare breakfast before leaving for work. After waking Donghae up, I left immediately, knowing I only have an hour. I got to the bus stop and got on the bus to work. However, this is my first time riding during peak hour so I did not know what normally happens on these rides.

Due to the crowd, I wasn’t able to grab a seat so I had to stand as the bus was really packed, there was no space between people. I guess I was really unlucky because I was standing in front of this man whom I don’t know if he was leaning towards me or just he could not balance. I felt a hand on my half way during the journey and I didn’t know what to do. In a bus full of people when everyone’s annoyed, what can I do? Biting my lips, I held it in. it’s just today. However, it got worst and worst that I had to hold back my tears.

When I got to school, I met Siwon who came out from his car. He was about to say hi when I dashed past him. I headed for the nearest toilet to fix myself before anyone sees me. Going to the dance department, I got myself ready for class and started working. Morning classes was ok, however, in the afternoon, I didn’t know was it because of my luck or something’s wrong. During the class, male students started to pull ual pranks and it was very disturbing, but thankfull, Siwon came in time to stop all those nonsense.

When classes was finally over, I felt a huge rock being lifted off my shoulders. Why do I feel like something’s changed. I feel so stressed up without realizing, I broke into tears in the office.

“What happened?” Siwon’s voice suddenly rang in my ears. I tried to clean them off, but Siwon was faster.

“Nothing.” I said, trying my best to hide all my emotions.

“I know it’s not nothing. You can tell me. I’ll help you.” He said. Just one simple sentence made me explode. I sobbed uncontrollably and he comforted me. I was glad I had a friend like him.

That evening, he sent me home. Even though I know I look horrible, I’m glad Donghae won’t be home to look at my horrible state. Siwon gave me a hug and told me to rest well and don’t think too much about it. I nodded my head and went home.

When I opened the door, it was just an empty house like always. Where was Donghae when I need him? I cannot blame him either. His job is the one that’s keeping us living. He’s really successful in his caeer aspect. However, sometime I think he’s overdoing it.

I sat on our shared bed, looking at our wedding picture. We were smiling so happily. However, my real married life and the married life I dream of was totally different. Even though we didn’t marry out of love, I think everything is starting to die down. I don’t see him around much and neither do I know him much. I always find out things from other people and not from he himself. He’s protective, I agree, but sometimes it’s overbearing.

That night, he didn’t come home. He sent me a message that he has to finish a report and al the materials he need is in the office so he asked me to rest first. The next morning, he was not in bed when I woke up. I wonder how will we last like this?

“You feeling better?” Siwon asked.

“I guess it wasn’t as bad.” I said, but deep down inside, I know I was far from being fine. It’s like a trauma to me now. I’m afraid of buses, afraid of tteaching that class. I don’t know what to do, but I can’t keep depending on Siwon.

“I’ll help you if you need ok? And since now the house you moved to is on the way to school, why not I pick you up in the morning till you get your Taiwan license?” He asked and that wasn’t such a bad idea after all. However, I didn’t know that one small decision could lead to one big mistake.

End of Soobin’s POV