Leave

Willing Promise

Soobin’s POV

“I’m Pregnant” I said.  I wasn’t looking at his face, but after I said it, the room was filled with silence.  I looked up at him to see him shocked, but it was not in a good way.

“You’re… pregnant?” He stuttered a little.

This was not the reaction I expected from him. I thought he would be happy, overjoyed, but this? Maybe I was expecting too much happiness from this sudden information to him.

“Didn’t you want children?” I asked, since he was talking about them so happily a moment ago.

He stayed silent, not saying a single word. His gaze on me was intense. His eyes looked as if they were burning. His jaw was clenched. He looked angry. I have never seen him like this, ever.

“I do, but not a child that’s not of my flesh and blood.” What was he talking about? Not his flesh and blood? What’s he…

“Are you saying I’ve cheated on you?” I exclaimed, trying to not be too agitated. This is what’s he’s implying. If he says it’s not of his flesh and blood, he’s saying I slept with someone else. How could he?

“If not, how could you have gotten pregnant? The last time we’ve slept together was months ago. We were so busy that we are so tired. How could you have gotten pregnant without me doing anything?” He spoke as if his words were mocking me.

“You don’t remember?” I asked, shocked. He forgot that horrible thing he did but it created this beautiful creature in me.

“Remember what? How you and Siwon were acting so intimately when I wasn’t around? You think I didn’t know? I tried to be a good husband to you. Even when I saw, I kept it in my heart. I didn’t want to spoil our marriage, because I love you, but now, you speak as if this child was mine. You want me to believe you?”

“Me and Siwon? Donghae, We’re just friends! He helped me when you weren’t around. I didn’t cheat on you. You want to know why I’m pregnant? That very night you came home, you were talking about me and Siwon, you were angry, you behaved like a mad man! YOU ME! YOU FORCED ME INTO SLEEPING WITH YOU!” I was hurt, I was shouting at him. I don’t even want to look at him.

“You don’t think you can lie to me. I’ve had enough of this nonsense.” He said and stood up, wanting to leave.

“Nonsense? I entrust myself to you, because you’re my husband, and now you’re saying I lied?” I was so broken and tears were welled up in my eyes.

“You can say anything you want. I can’t even tell when you’re telling the true and when you’re lying anymore.” He said and I can’t take it anymore. I ran into my personal bedroom and closed the door behind me, locking it. I slide onto the floor with my back against the door, tears sliding down my face.

I had thought we trusted each other, even though I know he’s out working, I never doubted he’s cheating on me. However, all this time he thought I was cheating on him? That made me even more upset. I left Korea and married a man I didn’t know. I thought he would be a good husband. He had always been a good husband, but this Donghae I see today is different.

Sitting on the bed, tears would not stop falling as I remember the times we spent together and how we got closer. Time passed by quickly and before I knew it, it was 3am in the morning; I had come to a conclusion. I’m going to leave. No matter for a little while or forever, I need some time alone to think it through.

I sat on the desk where my laptop is, I typed out a resignation letter and attached the file to an email which I sent to Siwon. Telling him something happened back in Korea so I have to go back. I hope he doesn’t ask much. When I sent it out, I took out a piece of paper and wrote it for Donghae. When I was done, tears once again flooded my eyes. I wiped them off as I opened the door, peeking out into the living room to find Donghae asleep on the floor, with beer cans scattered on the coffee table.

I went into our shared bedroom and packed some clothes and necessities along with my identification. When I was done, I check and saw Donghae still sound asleep. Even though he hurt me, He’s my husband and I still love him. I took the quilt and place it over his body. He moved a little but didn’t wake up. Putting the letter on the dressing table in our room, I left the house I may not call home any longer.

I went straight to the airport and bought the soonest ticket to Korea. I want to return home. Even if it’s just for a few days, I want to see my parents.

While waiting for the flight, I kept looking at my phone, hoping Donghae would call and apologise. As long as he apologise, I’ll go back. However, that call never came. When I board the plane, my phone was still silent. All the way till the stewardess told me to switch off my phone. Is there no more hope to save this marriage?

After a long long journey, I reached home. Somewhere which I know my loved ones will always be. It was early afternoon. Omma is always home at this time. When I pressed the doorbell, waiting for someone to open the door. When the door finally opened, there stood my mother whom I’ve missed so much.

“Soobin-ah! You’re back! Why didn’t you call?” She said as she gave me a hug, a hug which allow me to feel at ease.

“I wanted to surprise you.” I said.

“Where’s Donghae?” she asked and I felt my mood drop, but I regained it quickly.

“He’s out on a business trip. He told me to visit Korea since he isn’t in Taiwan.” I lied. I don’t want my parents to worry.

“He’s doing quite well now. Come on in.” She said and I went to my room while Omma prepared lunch. My room still looks the same. Omma must have always been tidying it up.

After a long night and a horrible fight back to Korea, when I hit the pillows, I fell straight asleep. I was woken up my Omma’s voice and I had thought I was dreaming, but reality hit me that I’d left Donghae and was back in Korea.

“Dinner’s ready.” Omma said as I went downstairs to find Appa home. How I’ve missed my family. As we sat around the dinner table, we walked like always. I’d missed the times where we would talk and laugh while having dinner. Dinner with Donghae had never been this… fun.

“How long are you staying?” Appa asked. Since I said I was back for a few days, I’d have to leave sooner or later.

“A week.” I said and I have to think of a plan to move to somewhere else after leaving home.

After dinner and showering, all of us went back to our rooms to rest. I for one, could not sleep. Reality hit me that since I’d left, Donghae might let it be that way. Maybe, he’d really think this child does not belong to him and just let me go. I took out a photo album from my suitcase.

An album full of our wedding pictures. The one we took on our wedding day, the ones from the wedding studio before and after our relationship blossomed. Am I really able to part with my husband? Will he let me go just like this? I have not heard from him ever since. Should I call him instead?

That night, I kept thinking what would actually happen to our marriage, our child. Till I finally feel asleep at the wee hours of the morning.

End of Soobin’s POV

Donghae’s POV

When I woke up the next morning, I had a horrible hangover. Why was I on the floor in the living room? As I sat up, I felt the quilt fall onto the floor behind me and I remembered, I fought with Soobin. She is pregnant and she kept insisting it was mine when I hadn’t touched her ever since our honeymoon. How does she expect me to believe her? She said because I was drunk. It could not have been to that extend that I don’t remember completely.

The house was quiet as I made my way to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Maybe Soobin had went to work. It’s a good thing since I can’t face her now. I got ready to go to work as I was totally running late. I grabbed my bag and my duffel containing a few day’s worth of clothes and went to work.

I guess being away from her for a few days is a good thing. She can stay at home while I’ll think it through these few days at work.

As a large project was due by the end of the week, I was not able to go home and was to stay in the office to rush it out with the rest of my team members. I buried my head in work for the next few days and before I was able to sleep, the question always pops up in my mind. Is the child really mine?

“(Chinese)Great job everyone! Go home and have a good rest!”I said before we all packed up and left for home. I really need a nice sleep on my comfortable bed. When I got home, Soobin was not around and the house was left the way it was when I left. Something was not right, but I was too tired to think it through. After a nice shower, I went to sleep and knocked out for close to 24 hours.

At 5am in the morning, I woke up and realized I had enough rest. I saw that the house was still and Soobin was not in our shared room. The bed in her own room was also empty. Where did she go at this time? When I went back to our room, I realized that some of her clothes were missing and that one small suitcase was also missing. Checking the drawers, her passport was no longer there. Then I saw, the letter on the table.

Donghae,

I guess maybe we have some misunderstanding. I don’t know if it’s because you’re too stressed at work or maybe I wasn’t a good wife that made you think this way. I’m leaving for some time. I think the both of us need some time apart to think things through.

I trust you more than anyone else and you don’t trust me. I don’t know what to do or say to make you trust me. I can assure you that Siwon and I are just friends. Even if you think otherwise, it’s the truth. It’s up to you to believe as I am telling you the truth. Maybe after thinking it through, we can discuss what are we going to do. Are we going to continue or are we going to put an end to it?

You can try to find me, but I don’t think you will be able to. I’ll have my phone with me. Contact me if there’s anything. I’ll be waiting for your calls.

Soobin

When I looked at the letter, it dawned on me that Soobin left on the day we fought and I hadn’t notice it till 5 days later. But in the letter, what she wrote is true. It’s up to me if I want to believe

her. But do I?