Misunderstanding

Willing Promise

 

The house was quiet. The dinner still sitting in the pot on the stove in the kitchen. I didn’t understand Donghae’s cold attitude all of a sudden. He’s like hot and cold. A minute he was all happy, but the next, he’s distant.

Since I had already made dinner, I’m going to bring it to him. No matter if he eats it or not, I’m going to bring it to him. At least the chance of him eating is much higher. I went into the kitchen and the stove, starting to heat up the soup.

“Come in.” I heard Donghae say as I knocked on the door to his study. Even though there’s only the two of us, I think it’s more polite to knock before going in instead of barging in on him. He just took a glance at me before looking back at his work.

“You need something?” His voice was cold and intimidating.

“It’s just…. I made dinner and since you have not had the chance to eat as you have no appetite, I though of putting it here so in case you go hungry at night…” He looked up at me, showing no expression.

“Thanks. Leave it on that table there. I’ll have it if I’m hungry later.”

Looking at the remains in the pot, I felt less hungry now and decided to just keep it in the fridge. I washed up and lay on the bed, expecting Donghae to not be here tonight. Today, I felt more distant to him than before. It’s suppose to be a happy day, a happy dinner, having he ask me how I feel about getting the job and all, but now it’s all just nothing.

I felt so alone. Never before had I felt like this. Even when I’m staying here all by myself when Donghae went out to work, I know I have someone. But tonight, I feel like I’m all alone in this distant land and I really miss my family, my Appa and my Omma. Thinking about their faces, their laughter, I broke out into a sob. I miss the warmth of my family, the nagging of my Omma and the temper of my Appa.

“Soobin?” I heard a voice, Donghae’s voice. I turned the other way, not wanting to him to see me. He walked closer as I felt the bed dip under his weight. His hands on my shoulder, warm and comforting. I didn’t move and he pulled me to lay flat on my back.

“Are you crying?” The look in his eyes, the coldness was gone and now it was warm and gentle. He pulled me up and hugged me, causing me to get a shock. However, I relaxed into his arms and tears started pouring out my eyes again. He my back, comforting me with his actions.

“I’m here… Don’t cry…” He cooed and it made me sob harder. How could he make me sad and cry and then happy the next moment?

“Are you angry?” I voiced out with my horrible voice choked with tears.

“I’m not angry…” His voice was firm, different from the one before.

“You are.” Making me more confused than ever.

“Soobin…” he pulled me away from his embrace and looked at me. I looked away, cannot look directly into his eyes which seemed like it pierced right through me.

“I don’t understand. You treat me so nicely in the morning and the next moment, you come back home, all angry and disappointed. I don’t know what I did. I was waiting for you to come home, eagerly wanting to break the good news to you first, but you were all angry. Donghae, I feel like I don’t belong here…” I was agitated. I was desperate. I need to know what’s going on, what’s happening in this house, this room.

“I was disappointed because you told Eunhyuk about your job before telling me. It made me feel unimportant when I heard from Eunhyuk the news. I had though you would tell me first.”His face was downcast.

“I hadn’t realize I told Eunhyuk. I was so excited that I broke him the news without realizing. I had thought I could tell you during dinner, making it special, but…” I couldn’t go on. I felt like I betrayed myself, betrayed his trust to me. Me and my big mouth!

“I’m sorry.” He whispered into my ear as I realized I broke out into tears once again, showing him a side that no one ever knew. He pulled me into his embrace and it made me feel that I’m not longer alone.

I have always been seen as a girl who had everything, a girl who is happy. I have never shown my weak side to anyone. Everyone knows me as the girl with a bright smile. I realize that even if I had problems, I have to solve them on my own. But now, I only realize that the problems were no longer mine alone. Donghae and I are in this together. His problem are mine, mine are also his.

When I woke up the next morning, the sun was already up and I realized I was running late. Looking at the other side of the bed, Donghae was not there. I don’t even know if he’d even slept here. I rushed out of the room and smelt a fragrant coffee scent. Don’t tell me….

“Morning.” Donghae smiled at me as I see him standing in front of the stove in his home clothes. That’s definitely a first.

“Morning. You…” I pointed at him and his outfit as he looked at himself.

“Is there anything wrong? A hole in my shirt?” He asked, looking for a flaw. I couldn’t help but laugh a little.

“Don’t you have to go to work?” I asked as I sat down on the dining table chair.

“I took a day off.” He said as the playful look in his eyes disappeared and it’s replaced but the gentle caring look.

“Why?” I asked. I hope he would say it’s because of me, but I know that’s not it. He must be tired from working all day long and he hopes to rest.

“I want to spend time with you.” He said, looking at me straight in the eyes. He wasn’t joking about what he just said.

“You don’t have to. If it’s because of what I said yesterday….” I was flustered. He shouldn’t overlook his job because of what I say. I shouldn’t be bringing him so much trouble.

“I want to. And before you start work, you’ll be more free. I won’t know if you turn out to be busy after you start working.” He smiled.

That day, Donghae made breakfast as we sat down and talked. He was patient in listening to me and never complained. The first time I feel that al his attention was on me and on nothing else. After breakfast, he told me to change as we’re going out. We took a stroll at the nearby park before he drove us to a nearby mall. When we got there, I realize the things here were all luxury brands.

“Donghae, We’re just looking right?” I asked as he shrugged and walked with his hands in his pockets. He was dressed in a black jacket, white shirt and faded blue denim jeans. I couldn’t believe that this handsome man is my husband. I caught up with him and place my hands on the crook of his hands.

He first walked into a store which I have never imagined I would walk into on my own. Donghae browsed through the racks and took a few off them and passed it to the sales lady. I tug his hand but he didn’t budge. Is he for real?

“Go try them on.” He told me and I just follow what he said. Looking at the price tags, I just want to faint. I hope he doesn’t intend to buy them all, even though I like some of them, but it’s way too much. After trying them all, it seem like Donghae read my mind, he bought those which I liked.

“Donghae, It’s too much.” I said as he paid at the cashier.

“Don’t worry. I can afford them. I’ve been saving all the time and now, I can put them to use.”

Shops after shops, items after items, Donghae bought them all for me. From clothes to shoes to bags to make up to jewelry and even lingerie. He bought them all and to tell the truth, he can read me as well as a book. Without me saying which one I liked and not like, he knew right away.

“Come.” I told him as we walked past a men’s shop. He looked reluctant, but knowing I wouldn’t give it up, he followed me in. He allowed me to buy him a few ties the most.

“You can buy me more things with your first paycheck”

After all the shopping, it was way past lunch time. We went to the car to put down all the shopping bags before heading for lunch. I look at Donghae a little worried that his gastric might act up. We went into a western restaurant which Donghae say to have good steak. However, looking at him, I know his gastric is acting up.

“ 2 Beef steak, medium rare and the desert of the day after the meal. A glass of water for the lady and a coffee for me. Thanks you.” He said and as the waiter collected the menu, I spoke up.

“Can I add a crab bisque and cancel the coffee and make it water.”

“Of course ma’am”

“I hope it’s alright to serve the crab bisque shortly.”

The waiter acknowledged the change of order and went off to do what he needs to. I look at Donghae as he had one hand pressing against his stomach.

“Are you feeling ok?” I asked as I place my hand on his. He looked at me and forced a smile.

Within minutes, the waiter came back with water and the crab bisque. He placed it in front of Donghae and left so that we can have our meal. The color on Donghae’s face rece he finished the crab bisque.

During Dinner, we talked a little and I got to know more about Donghae. He’s been in Taiwan for 5 years and actually he never thought of settling down so soon. But because he wanted to fulfill his father’s promise, he agreed to this marriage. He never dated in Taiwan before, but had a few relationships in Korea.

“To be honest, I’ve never dated.” I felt a blush creep up my face. For 25 years of my life, I have not dated anyone. Appa didn’t really approve of me seeing guys outside and once I got into university, I didn’t have time for romance.

“Never?” He looked at me wide eyed and shocked.

“Never.”

“No one wooed you back in school?” He asked me.

“There was, but I didn’t want to waste time on relationships when I was in university.” I said.

Donghae seemed a little deep in thought after that comment I made. However, I realize we’re loosened up a little towards each other. We no longer treat each other as strangers, but now, more of like friends.

When we got home, I realized we’ve really bought so much stuff. Donghae said it’s all for me to wear and use when I go for my job. He’s really caring and a good husband. I shouldn’t put so much pressure on him.

The rest of the afternoon, we curled in the living room, watching television and ordering take-outs. I never realize their take-outs were so delicious.

“I’m sorry I neglected you” He said as he placed his arms around my shoulders.

“It’s alright. We’re taking it slow now. We’ll get the hang of it.”

This begins our journey, our journey to a happy life.