FIVE

Wish You Were Not Here

Jung Yunho

I watched Changmin who was smirking in front of me. Changmin had grown taller since the last time we met. He, by far, the most evil person I had ever met since I had been born. When we were young, he had always been the one who had the foul-mouthed. His words were sharp and mean but our grandmother adored him because of it. He always took what I owned, and he didn't want people to surpass him. He was a pig too. When he came to our home, he would force our maid to cook him meals, and would finish my servings too.

Well, as cousins we fought a lot.

And now he's messing with my new favourite plaything. I would not let him. I will win this.

"Okay. If you insist, but I won't even let you see him when I win this game." I finally agreed to his game.

"One must capture pictures of him crying. The other would never ask what he'd done to him but if one caught cheating, the other would win instantly and would be forbidden to see the kid ever again."

I knew, it was a ridiculous game. It wasn't even logical to have a fight over a boy. Both of us were 25 and 23 respectively but this game was childish.

Well, a game is a game, right? Nothing would happen, right?

***

After the kid's encounter with our fight, he worked silently behind the counter. I waited at a table, thinking of a way of winning the bet. I chewed on my nails while watching him from afar. The more I looked at him, the more I think he was attractive. He made faces, laughed and shouted in his carefree times or when his co-worker . Oh, the doe eyes that first lured me in but never wanted to see me. How could I make him shed a tear? What would make a boy cry? It was close to the closing hour, and I was still here. Changmin had gone home and looked like he had planned something really evil inside his sleeves. I wonder what it was. Could he make the kid cry?

I found myself watching him again. He was wiping the table beside me. My eyes went from his innocent face to his upper body and to his bum. He was really small compared to me. Look at the tiny wrist; I could break it if I want.

What if I break his bone?

No, no. I should not do any harm to the kid. He's too precious.

Precious? When was the last time I called someone precious?

But since when Changmin was too interested in this kid? Did he really have the charm that could put someone under a spell? I just wanted to mark him as mine because I saw him first. Why did Changmin have to meddle in my business?

Then I saw Seunghyun came out of his office and walked to me.

"Hey," I smiled at him. "Wanna go for a drink?" I agreed. Seunghyun patted my back and told me he would need time to close the shop. He then went to the counter and talked to the kid and his friend. I guess the taller person with the big bum was his best friend now because the kid never actually talks with anyone else. He was actually very dedicated with his work. He looked up to see Seunghyun who was approaching him and I saw him smiled. God, the smile was mesmerizing.

Seunghyun spoke to him about something and both the kid and his best friend turned at each other. The kid scratched his temple, I think maybe Seunghyun asked him to go to bar together. The kid looked so young that I thought it would be illegal for him to drink. I turned the other way when the kid's eyes suddenly averted to me. He blushed immediately and he was back talking with Seunghyun.

I think he agreed to Seunghyun's request when he nodded. Seunghyun ruffled his hair and talked to his best friend.

I stood up and called Seunghyun.

"Hey, I'll catch up with you later, okay?" he just nodded his head and waved at me. I smirked at the kid who was cowering when he noticed I was looking at him. Damn it! Look at me! Look at me and give me ideas on how to win the bet! He looked so cold, with his doe eyes turned vacant instantly.

I walked out of the shop with his best friend's voice shouting out goodbye and 'please come again' to me. Oh sure, I would come again here no doubt about it.

I waited until I reached home and I changed my clothes to something that was more presentable. I picked a pale blue shirt that I wore with the same jeans I wore this evening. I wanted to smell nice, and not coffee like. I practically prepared myself to look nice because...

I shook myself as my head started to think of something that was really unexpected.

I drove myself to the bar that Seunghyun stated. He was already there.

The kid and his friend were there too, they were kind of nervous when they saw me.

"It's okay. He's my friend. I won't let him harass you." Seunghyun joked. Jaejoong laughed half-heartedly, his eyes fearfully stole glances at me and then to his best friend. "And Junsu," the big bum boy smiled at Seunghyun. "No, I won't let him harass you too."

"Who do you think I am? A ert?" I took a seat beside the kid. His eyes went wide when our hands touched because I was too close to him. He shifted a bit away from me. "No."

We looked at each other. He was the first one to divert his eyes away as his face flushed in the dim light of the bar. He continued to smile at Seunghyun, though. It looked like both of them were in a good term. Seunghyun wasn't someone who could be close to someone who he didn't trust. Well said, he has an issue about that. Jaejoong laughed at one of his stupid behaviour, his laugh was heavenly. He continued laughing while Seunghyun poured drinks into my cup and his. Jaejoong drinks too but not Junsu. Junsu drank Coke and he spent most of the time eating the crackers and peanuts. Seunghyun was an average drinker even though his alcohol tolerance was quite high. It was maybe due to his hang over state. He had this weird persona, an alter ego whose name was Top whenever he got drunk. He would be all diva-ish and that behaviour would bring disaster to everyone.

I poured another drink and finished it in one go. It felt so good to be here even though I knew he loathed it that I'm now beside him. Jaejoong drank another cup and laughed again.

"Why do you always laugh at him?" I asked sternly and his laugh died immediately. He stared at me with his big round eyes and he bowed down quickly. I could see his fingers started to tremble. I held his chin and lifted his eyes. "Answer me,"

"Yunho-ah..." Seunghyun held my hand, stopping me from disturbing Jaejoong. "No,"

"Who are you to stop me? You're drunk,"

"Yunho-ah..."

"Why do you laugh at him but turn sour when it comes to me?" he seemed afraid. He tried to grab his wrist back but I held on it tighter.

"Let go of me,"

"Answer me!" I glared at him. He cowered; his eyes tried his best to avoid mine. "Answer me first," 

"Yunho," Seunghyun was serious. He didn't want me to mess with Jaejoong anymore so he slapped my hand as hard as he could. I let go of Jaejoong's hand and Seunghyun took this opportunity to grab me away from our seats.

"What do you think you're doing?" Seunghyun bared his teeth at me even though I found it funny. He really couldn't pull off a serious face.

"What the , Seunghyun?"

"Don't bother Jaejoong."

"What? You have the hots for him?" he chuckled.

"No, you have. I'm protecting him from a pedo like you." I scoffed.

"He's not a child anymore. He can drink." I said, sarcastically but I couldn't help but felt disturbed that Seunghyun saw me that way. Was it that obvious?

"You yelled at him because of the coffee he didn't know how to make yet. You grabbed him by the wrist and asked him things that a customer should not know. You asked for him to wipe your table even though he had to serve another customer. And plus, he’s actually still underage."

"He is that incompetent!" I lied to defend myself even though I personally think I was too much. "Why would I ask him to do such chores if he's good in his work? I just wanted him to know where his place is. Did he up to you and tell on me? Is he that desperate to win you over?"

"No, Yunho. I want him to work at my place longer. Customers are increasing because of him. Don't try to take him away from me."

"Seunghyun, don't let his beauty..."

"I have a girlfriend, Yunho. I don't crave him like you do. It was obvious that you like him, please don't deny it."

"Okay, fine."

"Good." I looked at him for a while. Did Seunghyun fall for his charm too? Seunghyun was still drunk, so could I rely on this conversation?

We walked back to our seats only to find Junsu and the kid asking permission to leave early. It was really obvious that the kid didn't want to be in the same environment as me when I noticed him averting his eyes somewhere else but on me. I sighed silently.

He did annoy me sometimes with his behaviour even though I liked his beauty. The kid held Junsu's hand like it was the most natural thing to do.

Seunghyun gazed at me for a second before he waved them goodbye. I watched as both of them left the bar.

The bet. I must win the bet.

***

When I got home after that, I fortunately met the kid again at an alley close to my house. He was walking alone and I nearly couldn't recognise him because of the outfit he was wearing. He was wearing a big jacket with a hoodie and the hoodie was covering his head. It was weird to see him here because most people didn't just walk by this road. It was because people from our kind only that could afford the homes here. We were the kind of people with the biggest company and lots and lots of money. Seunghyun's family didn't live here though; they were satisfied by living in the countryside. Changmin however did live here.

I didn't want to surprise him even though my mind asked a lot of questions about what he was doing here. Did he live around here, which means he actually live pretty near to me. I followed him until we arrived at an apartment. He walked into it and thank God he never looked behind him. He passed the security and disappeared when he entered the elevator.

I tried to follow him further but the guards had spotted me and because I didn't bring along my identity card I was kicked out immediately. Huh, they don't know Jung Yunho yet I guess! Maybe they know names but not the person! I was so mad but what could I do?

I walked back to my own house. I left my car there but I didn't have to worry because they would bring it back home.

I would find out about the kid tomorrow.

The next morning, my car already been parked in the porch. I thought about the kid and what was the possibility of him being there. Of course, one of them would be he was actually the resident of the apartment which consists of not so-common people. The community who could afford to live there was people from the upper class working men. There were also presidents of great companies like ours which decided to reside there to prevent the press.

Could he be the resident there? Why would he work at a coffee shop like Seunghyun's? Why would he work when he could easily be pampered with money?

I wanted to wait at the front gate of the apartment and asked him the first thing in the morning but I remembered the meeting that I had to attend. I rushed to the working building with my car. It was lucky of me to not have any hangover because I had always been careful with the amount of alcohol I drank at night. I was an average drinker, they said. I drove my way there, passing the front of the gate and using the road that I walked by last night, hoping in silent that I would get to meet the kid wherever he was, or whatever he was doing. But luck wasn't on my side with that kind of intention because I found myself really frustrated by the time I arrived.

I walked in the meeting room and saw Changmin who was talking with our elders, the ones who were still in charge of our management team other than both of us. It was a family business by the way and apparently I and Changmin were the youngest in the team. Grandmother adored both me and Changmin so basically we could always get jobs under our belt. But because I was older, Grandmother favoured me more.

Changmin's snarky eyes lingered at me when he heard my footsteps as his lips curled into a smirk that I always hated. I sneered and passed him without greeting him at all. I proceeded to my seat, and to my hating his seat was beside me.

I saw him cocked an eyebrow when he pulled the chair and sat down. I shifted my position, ready for a battle. Well, an emotional battle really where we would scar each other's heart and body if we wanted to. The image of Changmin losing and him not being able to see the kid anymore overwhelmed me as I remembered the kid's movement last night. How could someone that young be that elegant? Or had I become one of the erted old man that was interested in young innocent people that I had always encountered in the news?

I felt worried but determined at the same time. I watched Changmin as he brushed the invisible dust on his lap. He turned at me, his eyes shone of something I'm not sure of.

"What, hyung?" Changmin grinned like he had something under his sleeve.

"Nothing." I mumbled, and I turned again to face the slide projector because apparently the meeting had started.

Suddenly, my leg was kicked from behind. I yelped, and turned. Changmin wore a poker face.

Bastard.

I reached out and pinched his thigh. He had become thinner since the last time I pinched it. Maybe he didn't eat a lot overseas, or maybe his metabolism rate was damn good.

He cringed and his long leg swung and hit mine again. Ouch!

"Yah!" I grunted, his kick was still as powerful and painful. I wanted to kick him again but instead I settled with punching his thigh. His painful expression was a satisfaction to me.

"Good morning, everyone..." I and Changmin straightened our positions and quickly our heads turned to the president who was entering. The president was Grandmother. Maybe our faces gave away the pain that we had because Grandmother was suppressing her laughter. She was already accustomed to our playfulness and our mischiefs and she had never thought of us growing up.

I wanted to, but Changmin didn't look like he was going to mature soon.

Changmin flashed a smile at Grandmother and she smiled back sweetly. She looked at me and I grinned, she shook her head acknowledging me who was the older one to behave in the meeting room.

The meeting ran smoothly with me presenting one of our huge projects and I felt superior because Changmin was still in his learning process so he didn't get to lead any major projects yet. I knew Changmin would get his chance soon but he would not surpass me by his standard now, so far. Changmin was doodling when the finance manager presented about the monthly expenses, and sometimes he would roll his eyes or played with his shirt's cuffs.

Then he scribbled something on a piece of paper and shoved it towards me. I read his small handwriting.

'He still works there?'

I could hear him chuckled lightly when I knitted my brows.

I wrote, ' off, Shim Changmin. He's not your business anyway,'

I shoved it to him and he read it. He cocked one brow and glanced at me before he scribbled down,

'Well. My business or not. You're not going to meet him again after this. Believe it or not, he'll cry because of me.'

Somehow I felt scared for the kid. I myself once feared this person who was taller than me when he left to overseas. He was already taller than me when he was in high school, he really grew that fast. How could the kid cope with Changmin's mischief?

'Why are you always meddling in my business?'

'I love to see you suffer.'

'What would you do if I die?'

'Well, you'll die because of me. I won't be that sad, though.' my mouth gaped open. He smirked in victory. I crushed the paper in my fist and threw it at Changmin's face not caring if people saw our childish fight.

Changmin groaned when finally our meeting ended. I went to the elders to just have some good conversations with them and to convince them that I was capable of getting into their best side. I saw Changmin who retreated behind the door and was talking intensely on the phone. I had never seen that serious side of Changmin so it was a new one for me. I kept on the conversation while my eyes guarded Changmin's movement. Changmin didn't wait for a social life with his acquaintances like me because after the phone call, he shoved it into his pocket and dashed off leaving the meeting room. I ended my conversation not long after that.

I didn't intend to chase after Changmin but somehow I ended up following his moves. I drove my car tailing his and I wasn't sure to say that I wasn't actually surprised to see him stopping at Seunghyun's coffee shop.

He went out. I glanced through the glass window, the kid was there serving a customer. His smile was as wide as I remember it should be. His eyes were glistening under the dim light in the shop. I found myself smiling at the warmth of it.

Changmin walked inside and saw him approaching the kid. I quickly got out of my car and went to the glass window watching him. The kid tilted his head to talk to Changmin. Changmin's smile obviously was hiding something that the kid didn't know. The kid's eyes were terrified too, like he knew what kind of person Changmin really was.

Did he know about our intention? Did he know about our silly little game? Should I give up so Changmin will not bully him?

I leaned towards the glass and saw the kid nodded slightly when Changmin ordered him to do something. The kid brought the tray with him and suddenly Changmin tripped him. The kid fell to the floor and all the trash he was carrying scattered on the glimmering tiles floor. I bit my lips.

There we go.

Changmin whistled as he took his seat at the side of a window. I walked into the coffee shop, and he spotted me immediately.

"Thought you would spy me here,"

"You played dirty trick,"

"We didn't agree on any dirty trick. We agreed on everything," he sneered.

"Not to humiliate him in front of this people," I gritted my teeth trying my best to low my tone down.

"I thought you had done that as far as I know," I remembered when I threw my drink on the kid's face. I let my gaze wondered at the kid who had finished gathering up the trash on the floor with a very flushed face. He disappeared behind the counter. Then, his best friend Junsu looked up and saw us talking.

"Fine." I was ashamed of myself, but I'm more determined than before. Why should I feel sorry? It was just a game, right?

I walked to the counter and ordered coffee from Junsu. Junsu made it so quickly for me that I didn't have the time to think of a counterattack. I extended my neck to see his reaction behind the counter but couldn't. He was facing the sink.

And he turned around abruptly. The colour of his face was explicably purple, but no tears.

Changmin had still a long way to go.

Annyeong everyone! There you go, another chapter! heheheh....^__^ thank you for subscribing to this story, i felt very, very honoured! and again kamsahamnida for reading!