TWENTY SEVEN

Wish You Were Not Here

Kim Junsu

People have always disregarded me as someone who was close to the pretty boy, Kim Jaejoong. It was such a coincidence that our surname was similar.

But this is not his story. It's mine.

As people always brush me off, I always felt special in their presence. I mean, Jaejoong and also Changmin. Jaejoong treated me like someone who was fragile even though everyone knew it was him who needed protection. Jaejoong didn't want to take the bull of I'll protect you from anyone else. He wanted to defend himself, be whoever he wanted to be without depending on anybody. I was the fragile one, he said. He wanted to protect me like a hyung. Don't worry, I said. Changmin-hyung already protected me. He was not in love with me like he had been with Jaejoong, but it made me felt safer. He thought of me as a brother. And I thought of him as someone like that too.

I let him stayed in my house after I heard about his stories. I never thought he was someone who was raised without knowing who actually cared for him except for his grandmother. He even told me that he always ran away from home and that the knowledge outside of the city we're in was always at the tips of his fingers. He was knowledgeable and smart, if only people knew it.

If only Jaejoong appreciated it.

I didn't want to be a to their relationship but it seemed like it. It's not like I had any feelings towards Changmin-hyung; he was just someone I adored as I knew him day by day. He looked intimidating on the outside but once he started to care about you, he didn't even care about himself.

As an example, tonight I was mending his injuries because he stood up for me. Jaejoong didn't come to college today because of something. To be honest, he was always missing these days. Like something was going on at his home that I didn't know. Something that he hid from me. I was dying to know but I had to keep my composure too because apparently Yoochun kept something from me too.

And that's the reason why I loved Changmin-hyung. He always tells me everything.

"Ouch!" he pushed my hand away. I almost dropped the cotton bud I was using to apply the iodine on the cut. His nose scrunched because of the pain.

"It's not that painful, Changmin-ah..."

"It still hurts..." he whined. I looked up and our eyes met. He winked at me, I knew it he was just playing dumb with me! I hit his knee and he giggled. "Don't do that..."

"If you don't behave, I'll do what I want to you," I said grudgingly. He smirked at me and let me finish what I was doing. When I had covered all the cuts with the band-Aids, I smiled at him. "There you go,"

"All done?"

"All better." he grinned at me. He took my face in his hands suddenly and I thought he was going to kiss me but instead he pecked my cheek lovingly. I blushed and he pulled me into a hug that was actually kind of awkward. Maybe he dared to do it because we weren't in public and safely hidden from everyone else.

Suddenly the door was opened from the outside. Both of us jumped.

I was shocked to see it was none other than Jaejoong's other chaser Jung Yunho-nim.

How do I start with him? Simple, he was the Heir. After he involved himself with Jaejoong, I gathered as much information about him as I could and told Jaejoong but he didn't seem interested in rich guys. He was ready to brush them off.

And why was he here?

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" Changmin was alarmed too because of the sudden ambush. I turned my attention towards my twin brother, Junho who was wide-eyed when he saw how we welcomed Yunho here. It wasn't as pleasant as he imagined I could say. I caught his eyes and he mouthed 'sorry' which was the best that he could do. I shrugged and let Changmin handled the situation. After all, he was the one who ran away from home. Changmin stood up, he grunted loudly.

"What are you doing here?" Yunho didn't say anything but he was staring down at me judgingly. "Don't think that he had anything to do with me being here."

"Oh, tell me more about it." I could smell the sarcasm in Yunho's reply, so I'd rather wait for Changmin's. Changmin just scoffed and hugged himself, being ordinarily stubborn. "Now leave."

"Not until you leave with me." Changmin rolled his eyes.

"What happened to you?" he asked again, this time he wore a face of concern. It's hard to believe they were mutual enemies.

"Why the hell you care? It's not going to heal magically with your concern,"

"It's not going to heal with your bickering too." Yunho was slowly losing his patience. But Changmin looked amused, like he was anticipating this and he was sure having fun with it. Junho sat down next to me and asked me to leave the room. I nodded and I wanted to stand up and do what Junho suggested when Changmin grasped my wrist.

"Don't leave." I froze on the spot and I turned my gaze at Junho. He shrugged. "Don't leave me alone here with this beast," Changmin groaned.

He called him beast? I glanced at Yunho.

"Might be he is really worried for you, Changmin-hyung," I said. Changmin and Yunho both looked aghast by my words. "What? You are cousins! Suppose you would care for each other,"

"Huh? Care for him?" Changmin rolled his eyes. "Please. I'd rather die." I looked at Yunho and saw his eyes flickered of something. Maybe it was regret, maybe it was disappointment but maybe I was wrong. Who was I to judge these two cousins? If not for Jaejoong, I would never being able to be this close to both of these heirs. I laid a hand on Changmin's hand. Changmin was surprised but he didn't pull his hand back.

"If he's here looking for you, Changmin-hyung, it does mean that he's worried about you. He wanted to find you." I stared into his eyes, trying my really best to plant the idea of the logic inside his head. He shrugged and pulled his hand away. I took that gesture as he didn't agree with me. I turned to Yunho apologetically and the older man smiled weakly at me. Maybe Changmin was too stubborn for his own good.

"Then, do you want to stay here forever?" Yunho asked. Changmin stayed quiet. "Or do you want to wait until Junsu chase you out?"

I wouldn't chase him out.

I tried to tell him that by searching for his eyes but Changmin avoided it.

"I'll leave, but only because you've known where I've been staying this whole time." Changmin rose from his seat. Yunho followed suit. I blinked several times, unable to conclude anything. Did it mean Changmin will leave tonight? Did it mean he will be somewhere else and not with me?

I wanted to ask him but only my mouth was open but no voice could come out. I froze in my place. Changmin gathered his jacket and tied it around his thin torso and smiled at me.

I love his mismatched eyes. They looked so mischievous yet they were adorable to me.

"Hyung!" when I was unable to move, Junho acted instinctively. The three of us watched him. "Why do you want to leave Junsu?"

Changmin looked confused again, and so do Yunho.

"Because..."

"And you would let him being bullied again without you by his side?" I frowned as I turned towards Junho now. He made it sound like I was vulnerable without Changmin by my side. I felt my heart tightened. I was stronger than that. I vowed to protect him, Changmin-hyung. I vowed to always be with him but not in this way...

Yunho gazed at me, his eyes widened in disbelief.

"Bully?" Yunho announced the word a bit loud. I held Junho's hand.

"Yes. You don't know?" Junho had been a bit pushy now. I shook my head, I didn't want anyone else to know. I didn't want anyone other than Changmin and Junho to know. Yunho frowned. He thought for a second and he shook his head.

"I knew. I came here because of it." this time Changmin was the one affected instead of me. "I heard about it,"

"From?" Changmin was fast.

"Does it matter?" Yunho replied, a hint of sarcasm laced with his worries. I looked at Changmin back.

"Oh...so you can laugh now, Yunho. Now you're saying I'm pathetic..."

"You're protecting Jaejoong and Junsu, right?" all of us were silent. Changmin had difficulties to find his own tongue. He stared at Yunho, his eyes didn't blink at all. "I don't have problems with you being hero and all, but someone is worried about you at home." he looked away with a hint of disgust. "She needed an heir. Grandma needed you as an heir because you supposed to replace my position there."

He turned back at Yunho.

"Bwoh?" Changmin almost shouted. Yunho backed a step away, his face changed to astonish. "What are you telling me now? Don't confuse me anymore!"

"The position is going to be yours. Grandma will announce it to the board later if you ever felt like coming home again," Yunho replied. His words were coming out as quickly as a torpedo out to blast the enemy's basecamp even though his face remained stoic as ever. Changmin tilted his head to the side, unable to decide anything because he was thrown off balance as Yunho's words all jumbled together bombarding him. He frowned. He gazed fixedly and intently into Yunho's eyes.

"But...it will only happen if you leave the household or marry someone with a higher authority..." Changmin mumbled to himself but his voice was loud enough for people to hear him.

Junho suddenly gasped. I turned towards my twin brother, and I hooked my brows together.

"I thought I heard news about you before!" suddenly Junho exclaimed. "You're the one who's getting married with the Heiress, Go Ara, right?"

Changmin's legs harshly stomped the floor. I was taken aback. Changmin glared at Yunho, his expression a combination of confusion and angst.

"You're getting married?"

I put a hand on my mouth as I waited for the other's reaction. Yunho's lips formed a thin line.

"You're marrying Go Ara?" Changmin rephrased the question but still he demanded an answer ASAP. Yunho sighed. "It was all a joke then..."

"I'm continuing our family's legacy," Changmin rolled his eyes. "It was all for them,"

"So you're just messing around before and now only you're getting serious?"

"Stop talking like you know everything," Yunho tried to talk with gritted teeth. I thought they were going to bite each other's ears off. Junho beside me pulled me aside, trying to make us as far away as possible from the two cousins.

My phone had to ring that particular crucial moment.

I slipped a hand underneath my jacket and pulled my cell. I glanced at the caller ID. It was Yoochun.

"Hey, Yoochun, it's a bit busy here..."

"Junsu, is Jaejoong there?" Yoochun's voice was hurried and it sounded like he was panting.

"N-no..."

"He's gone. After you came back from college, did you send him or did he walk alone?"

"He..." both Changmin and I send him back home after Changmin hit one of the bullies at college. That's how Changmin got his bruises and cuts.

"He's gone. He wasn't at home and he didn't answer his phone. Something had happened," Yoochun was panicked, I could hear it.

"Junho..." I saw Junho, Yunho and Changmin were staring at me. "Jaejoong..." I couldn't say a thing.

Suddenly Yunho grasped my wrist and spun me around.

"Jaejoong? What about him?"

"He..."

Changmin didn't wait for me to finish my sentence. He ran to the door of the room and grabbed whatever was in his way. I turned to my heels and so did Junho.

"Wait!" Yunho grabbed my shoulder, and Changmin turned back and pushed Yunho's hand away from me.

"Don't try to do anything to him," he glared at Yunho. "If you lay a hand on him ever again, I swear I would break your spine!" Yunho huffed but he succumbed to Changmin's threat.

"Tell me where you're going," but Changmin didn't say anything. "Changmin!" he was losing his patient as he took a handful of Changmin's shirt and the taller guy almost fell. "At least you will need my car. You didn't bring your car here, right?"

I turned to Changmin. He wasn't amused but he didn't try to seem too nonchalant.

"I drive, then," Changmin finalised and the next thing I knew we were in an Audi sports car.

a/n aaaah...what happened to Jaejoong?!