TWENTY NINE

Wish You Were Not Here

Park Yoochun

After Jaejoong was safe and sound under the management of the emergency team in the hospital, I could finally take a deep breath and sit down calmly. I was affected severely when I couldn't reach him after the voicemail he left me. I couldn't be with him every single moment like we did back at Jeju because we were in a different course. He and Junsu were in the same class.

What I worried the most about him was the fact that he didn't want me to expose who he really was. Everyone didn't knew that I was someone rich's son too but at least I had the sports car and my own apartment to give the signs. He however walked to the college (it was a relief that the college was in the next neighbourhood) and he would need to leave his house two hours prior to the lectures or any activities in college to arrive way early than the others to avoid people seeing him on the way home. He didn't even tell Junsu, his best friend.

So it was up to me to keep all his secrets.

And today when I found out he was gone, the only one in my mind was Junsu. He might know or if he was together with Jaejoong might be they were actually bullied. But when Junsu answered the phone and Jaejoong wasn't there, I was immediately panicked.

Jaejoong would never be alone if he's not home. He didn't like being alone outside because he would feel lonely. And I hated to think he would go astray since Hyun Joong's incident and now two heirs of a single conglomerate were competing for his heart. I wondered how he ended up, but I got a clue of who's actually had captured his heart.

I fell asleep when I waited for him outside the emergency room and later when I woke up, the staff there told me that Jaejoong was already wheeled to his own ward, the first class one that I booked for him with my own money. I would make sure no one would know about this in college. This time was serious. If Jaejoong didn't want to tell them I would. I would do what I did back then when I had to hide the Hyun Joong's incident. I would do anything to protect Jaejoong.

I wondered what had come into me to let Jaejoong hid who he really was, and by being with Yunho didn't actually help the case. I remembered when I was so mad after he slept with Yunho, he came to my house almost every day and would cry and beg for me to forgive him. He sometimes fell asleep in front of my room's door and no one bother to pick him up because I lived alone. When I started to talk to him again, he hugged me and kissed me that I was so embarrassed and threatened to not talk to him again if he kept doing it. He stopped and he told me he was content by only befriending me.

And I thought he was actually happy because he didn't say anything. Up until I saw the posters of him and Junsu, with the words written in bright red, BANISH THESE FAGS. Crap.

They were targets or might I say public enemies because somehow everyone suddenly hates them after Changmin slept together (innocently!) with Junsu. After I found out about it, the bullies were lessened a bit but still went on. Jaejoong and Junsu still had to be cautious while walking together; who knows what might happen.

Right now my head was spinning. I decided to buy coffee from the vending machines and also bread, so that I wouldn't be so hungry to drive home. I was calmly eating my modest meal outside his room when suddenly I saw Jung Yunho came with a disturbed expression. My forehead furrowed deeply. I heard about his engagement with Go Ara, and in our community who didn't know her family? Why he was here again after Jaejoong directly rejected him?

Didn't he have anything to lose if he loses Jaejoong? If he's with Jaejoong everything would be turn upside down and Kim Hyuk Tae would never like it regardless if it was Jung Yunho.

I stood up from my seat and walked to the door. I didn't mean to pry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop but circumstances forced me to. I couldn't barge in when all I wanted to do was only to observe, because I am sure Yunho would not do bad things towards Jaejoong.

To my surprise, Jaejoong was already awake when Yunho entered the room. I still couldn't bring myself to enter the room. The curiosity would definitely kill me later if one of them found out I was stalking them.

I heard them arguing and Jaejoong who was already very impatient and lost with Yunho's presence swore several times. He shouted for Yunho to leave him alone and for a moment when he threw a mug and hit Yunho's face, I thought Yunho would be so mad and would turn violent. But I was wrong. Yunho was still pleading, wanting to be together again with Jaejoong and willingly to do anything for him.

"I want you to die. I want you to die because of me."

That was it. I could feel the hairs on the nape of my neck stood up when I heard Jaejoong's words. He was serious. He was acting according to his heart again. The confirmation was there. He was in love with Yunho and wanted Yunho to die because he couldn't have him. Jaejoong never had spoken words figuratively. He meant every word.

He wanted Yunho to die.

I was shocked again when Yunho agreed.

Was that how he convinced Hyun Joong before? Just by telling them to die and they would happily succumb to his order?

What was this insanity? Why a person who was in love with him had this kind of problem?

I heard Yunho dashed to the door and I immediately hid behind the water dispenser that was close to me. Yunho didn't even look around his surroundings.

I rushed into the room and saw Jaejoong; tears were soaking his beautiful face. Why was this face so forsaken? Why this face should bring more problems and whatnots?

"Why did you say that?" I couldn't help but raise my voice. I was literally going to burst out in flood of rage and Jaejoong was going to pay for it.

"..." he knew what I was saying and instead of arguing he stared into my face solemnly. I wanted to hit him so bad that time.

"You know he's going to do it, right?" he was still silent. Only his tears were streaming more and more. "It was like Hyun Joong again,"

"It wasn't." his voice was grumpy and I knew he didn't like it when I revived the issue again.

"No. It was Hyun Joong incident again. You love him. You can't lose him. You are so egoistic you don't want to say you need him and wanted him to break it off with Go Ara. But you still want him, so indirectly you ask him to go die." I took a deep breath and glared into my best friend's eyes. He might look all innocent but who knew what was actually inside his head. I love him, I really do but this certain behaviour was too much. "You knew he was going to do it. You knew Hyun Joong is willing to die because of you, but I don't know how you do it. Stop it. Stop it now."

"Hyun Joong died because he couldn't swim and I was in the wrong because I couldn't save him!"

"But you did say to me you are going to have him all to yourself and..."

"You are wrong!" he cried out. His tears were uncontrollable and his speech was borderline incoherent. "I love Hyun Joong..."

"And you love Jung Yunho too. Stop him before he do something you might regret later," he didn't answer me. "Stupid." I couldn't wait any longer. Yunho was going to do something really dumb. Maybe he didn't have any plans yet but my instinct (and usually my instincts are always right) said that he was determined because it was Jaejoong.

I ran outside and if only I wasn't too late, I would be able to chase Yunho. He needed to know. He needed to know about Hyun Joong and how to have Jaejoong's heart. I ran and ran but unable to locate him anymore. The staffs said they saw Yunho already left to the parking lot and no one knew where he went. I cursed under my breath and ran to my car.

I started the engine and drove off, but my head was blank. Where would Yunho go?

I called Junsu. After we left Jaejoong under the care of the hospital, Junsu and Changmin left together. They were almost inseparable right now because Changmin didn't want anyone to harm Junsu anymore.

"Hello?" I couldn't detect anything in his voice. He gave nothing away.

"Junsu-yah, is Changmin there?"

"Why?"

"I'm in a hurry. It's an emergency. Is he there?"

"No. He's in the bathroom, we just arrived home," home. Did Changmin already decide that he was going to live together with Junsu for forever?

"Can you bring the phone to him?" and then I heard hustles on the other line. Another knock and Junsu's call to Changmin. Another growl and then I heard him answered. I already parked my car at the roadside. It would be dangerous to drive in this situation. I needed to calm down.

"What?" Changmin's voice sounded almost like a hungry bear that was willing to kill anyone who was in its way.

"Yunho. Do you know what he'll do if he decided to take his own life?"

"What?" Changmin sounded genuinely confused. I couldn't blame him. "Why should he...?"

"Something came up and Yunho had been affected by it. I'll tell you later if I can save him,"

"I....I don't know." Changmin was silent. "Why...?"

"I can't answer your question right now. I need to save him from himself. Do you have his phone number?"

"I'll text it to you,"

"Thank you." Changmin was silent and two seconds later he hung up. In the mean time I tried by myself to think where would he'd been gone to. Sure he had not gone so far because I chased him right after that.

But did Yunho really have the guts to follow what Jaejoong wants? What would he like for his own ending? Surely it wasn't to be alone.

Bling. A text message arrived. I immediately took my phone and dialled the number that Changmin just gave me. There was dial tone but no one answered. Surely he would not think anyone's close. I had never called him before and we had never make contact with each other except for the vague relationship between him and Jaejoong, so indirectly between me too.

I swore again before I dialled the number for the second time. He had to pick up. Or else, Jaejoong would never been able to forgive himself. It was all up to me now.

No one picked up. He's not going to answer the phone, my instinct spoke. He's going to ignore all calls. Who would answer their telephone in the middle of an excruciating moment like this?

But I couldn't give up.

I don't want to.

I dialled for the third and fourth time.

Miraculously it was answered at the fifth ring. I heard clinking of bottles.

"He-llo?"

"Yunho-ssi!" there was silence of voice on the other line but there was also the loud sound that we could only encounter in discos or bars. I guess he actually headed to the bar.

So much for worrying.

I thought I would laugh so hard that time because of my silliness. Well, not everyone was like Hyun Joong, I guess. Yunho sure was someone as cool as that. Maybe Jaejoong had still not invaded his mind completely yet.

"Are you at the bar?" I asked.

"Who is this?"

"Park Yoochun. Jaejoong's best friend. You might know me as son of Park's Seafood Chain."

"Ah." his brief answer was quick. I heard the glasses clunk with each other. "I overheard your conversation with Jaejoong,"

"I really want to do what he's asking me to do. I just needed to get this alcohol into my system so that I would forget the sorrow first,"

My heart suddenly stopped. He couldn't be serious, could he?

"Are you an idiot?"

"Because I love him and he wanted me to die because I betrayed him."

"What about Go Ara then? Do you want to tell her too?"

"We are not meant to be!"

"We need to talk, Yunho-ssi. You and I. We need a lot of time to talk about Jaejoong. You are the one who can help him,"

"He needs me to die."

"DON'T!" I screamed angrily. "Why are you being stupid? Why are so many people become stupid because of him?" I was so angry I was shaking. "Doesn't it occur to you that he's just being irrational self? Go out from the bar right now and I wanted to meet you at this restaurant. We need to talk and make sure don't go anywhere until I come,"

a/n and yes, Yoochun is a hero!!! i really, really love him in this story because he was like a light in the darkest time. haha~ what am i saying? maybe because it's already midnight here and i've been working all day so i was kind of tired...

and thank you for the support and the comments!! i really, really appreciate it!