TWENTY FIVE

Wish You Were Not Here

Park Yoochun

He's falling in love again. I've seen him like this before. He had fallen in love once and it drove him wild, out of control. He was always one who always had a grip on himself, never let anyone else in his life.

The last time he fell in love was with that particular Hyun Joong. Jaejoong sure had a funny way to show that he loved someone.

*Flashback*

I flicked his left ear from behind. Jaejoong turned around and grinned at me. We just finished our tenth period of the day, which meant we only would have one more period before the school ended.

He was excited about something. His angelic face was really creepy when he was contemplating something devilish inside his head. I laughed when I saw his silly face. He had fallen in love head over heels with that senior named Kim Hyun Joong. They met accidentally at a swimming club not long ago. I wasn't there when they met but Jaejoong said he liked the way Hyun Joong gazed into his eyes. Well, since I knew him when we were still very young, I never thought he would like a guy.

No, he said. I just like Hyun Joong-hyung.

Don't you like me? I asked him.

Well, I love him. No, Yoochun don't give me that face. I love him and only him.

I always shook my head and smiled when that conversation played inside my head. I always knew despite the disciplined student facade that he pulled off brilliantly at school - despite me being the rebel all the time - he was someone else back at home. He bullied my brother a lot with the video games, and he always use vulgar words like how I used to be. He reacted according to what he wanted and always whined at his butler. In conclusion, he was the picture of a spoiled brat. He nagged at me every day if I didn't want to accompany him to stalk Hyun Joong at the swimming pool. Hyun Joong was the son of our Science teacher and I really hated that Science teacher despite the fact that he shared the same name with Jaejoong and the boy he loved.

Hyun Joong - I refused to call him hyung, that's how snobbish I was - was a patient guy. He was the first one to say 'I like you' to Jaejoong and practically it was a shock to everyone. Not that anyone ever confessed to him, but actually he was the first guy to do that. He had guts, I have to say. He was good looking, all the girls love his charm and his hardworking attitude enticed the teachers. He was very close too with his father and the school knew how he was raised at home. Mr Kim was very strict, always scolding the naughty kids and always on alert with the school's news. So when the talk was out that his son loves a boy, it was quite a blow. The blow was even worse when the boy that his son loves was a chaebol who was practically overprotected. Mr Kim the Science teacher was pushed to ask his son to behave to not approach Jaejoong anymore as to not disrupt Jaejoong's education.

But then everyone knew Hyun Joong was the top in his class, hell, he's first in his year.

"What are you thinking about?" Jaejoong asked after I spaced out, well, a bit.

"You." he grinned and his big starry eyes were excited about something.

"Oh, stop it, you!" he laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"You are scaring me,"

"Well..."

"You look happy."

"Of course, today, I'll meet Hyun Joong-hyung again!" he sounded so ecstatic that I found myself smiling. He started to open his heart out to this 'hyung' after the confession. To be honest, I never thought Jaejoong would like him back because he never told me anything about his uality. He never liked anyone. He never said he had a crush on anyone; he even didn't have any female celebrity crush. When I had my first kiss, he wasn't jealous at all. He said it was normal, and he would like to just wait for his own first kiss.

His first kiss was with Kim Hyun Joong. The kiss happened under our tree, a hundred-old tree that rooted at the edge of a small hill that me and Jaejoong always frequent. In short, the tree was our playground.

Jaejoong brought him there. Hyun Joong who was always seen with his bicycle carried Jaejoong on the back seat of the bicycle, both of them riding together to the small hill. Jaejoong was excited, I still remember he was glowing the hour before the ride, before he met Hyun Joong and met me to tell me where he's going.

We're going there. He told me. I think something will happen,

Please don't go into details to me, I joked and he laughed.

I'll tell you all about it when I get back, Chun-ah. I love you.

"Yoochun!" he slapped my shoulder. "Do you remember the pool?"

"Of course I remember the place where you guys met,"

"You know I love him, right?" I nodded. It was useless to deny him right now. "Do you think he loves me?" I rolled my eyes. Hyun Joong was a cool guy but he turned clumsy when Jaejoong smiled at him. He could hit a fire extinguisher when they met at the hallway.

I laughed in my mind when I remembered that Jaejoong told me Hyun Joong almost missed his lips when he tried to kiss Jaejoong for the first time. He was that nervous.

"Of course he loves you, idiot. Why do you think he didn't listen to the teacher's request to leave you alone?"

"But I'm not convinced." he said and that time I saw there was a light in his eyes.

"What do you want now?"

"I love him to death." he said, coldly. Suddenly Jaejoong turned fierce and determined. "I want him to prove that he will die because of me,"

"Jaejoong, that was crazy..." I tried to laugh it off but Jaejoong was serious. His big eyes pierced into my heart.

"I want him to prove that he loves me so deeply that he'll do whatever I want." he added. The silly grin was nowhere to be found now. "I'm tired of running away from him,"

"You're running away from him? I thought you were dating? I thought you were in love with him?"

"I am. I just want evidence so that he'll never leave me. Don't tell me you fell for what I've done too?"

"What do you mean?"

"Hyung got it bad," his tongue swiped the surface of his lower lip. "I want him to really want me so bad," I shook my head. What exactly did he mean?

"Please don't say things cryptically, stupid! You're scaring me,"

"Shouldn't he love me as I am?"

"He loves you, Jaejoong. It was damn obvious. It was right in front of your eyes,"

"I said I'm not convinced," he shook his head.

"So what your plan?" he smirked. I feared this smirk. Something really evil was playing inside his head.

"My plan?" he grinned. "Do you know his weakness?"

"What?" I had to ask. Somehow my heart was beating a bit faster than usual.

"He doesn't know how to swim."

"So?"

"Provided he is still unable to swim, I wanted him to save me even if..."

"Jaejoong! That is preposterous! Are you going to kill him?" I scolded him, plus hitting him back on the shoulder.

"I want it. Don't stop me!"

"Then, what? Why are you so desperate about him?"

"Because I love him!"

"You are sick, don't do this..."

"You can't tell me what to do!" he stood up and stormed outside the door. I slumped back on the chair.

Shall I chase after him? Who knows what was inside that crooked mind who only thinks about himself? He could be as evil as me because we grew up together, but he could be more selfish.

Like I always thought, he had a weird way to love someone. He had this sense of owning and letting the said person who he loved chased after him and begged on his knees. I thought Hyun Joong was a masochist, always succumbing to what Jaejoong wanted.

I stood up too, planning to find Jaejoong but he was nowhere to be found. What should I do with you, Jaejoong-ah?

*

Hyun Joong was waiting for him outside the school gate. I wondered what Jae told him. Or, maybe not.

"Hey," crap, he noticed me! I wanted to ignore him but he already jogged towards me. "See Jaejoong?"

"No." he left. And since then he never came back.

"Do you know where I can find him?" I shrugged.

"Maybe he had gone home with his driver," I replied bitterly. Since his confession, I found Hyun Joong not that appealing to me. Before this, I was quite impressed by his talents. I just...never thought he would be brave enough for Jaejoong.

"Can I ask you something then?"

"...?" I glared at him.

"Why did he run away from me? What did I do wrong?"

"He's like that. He's a er for chasers, you should do more chase,"

"But he made me tired," Hyun Joong said. I scoffed. Typical Jaejoong.

"Do you know you are the first...?" Hyun Joong watched me and I felt like I shouldn't break this secret to him. Might be Jaejoong wanted to tell him himself that he loves him. I'm not in the place to tell Hyun Joong that. "Just do what you're doing it right now,"

"But..."

"You're doing it right. But just don't get too close to him that it will hurt you later,"

"I love him, I don't care." I scoffed again. Love, why blame it on love? Why don't you admit it that chasing him was giving a new high to you? "Tell me how could I win his heart. He let me kiss him but he never said anything to me." I rolled my eyes. Wasn't it obvious enough that Jaejoong likes him? If he hates him, he wouldn't spare a glance at a person, let alone let someone kissed him.

But what do I know what actually happened when both of them were alone?

"Just follow this advice. You're doing it right. Don't worry, and he's not here I guess. You better go home and have some rest,"

*

Days passed by but I still haven't seen them on a date or something. They met in silent and away from people from school. I didn't even know when their meeting was. I only knew them actually seeing each other.

I went to his room the other day. He said he's cooking for our dinner because both our parents weren't home. They were in Seoul for a grand hotel opening.

There was his hand phone on the table. I skimmed through the messages that Hyun Joong gave him and I was kind of shocked - even if I had expected it. All of Hyun Joong's messages sounded like a pleader, always begging for Jaejoong to meet him and apologising for not being there for him. How come did this happen?

'No, you should understand that I'm the president of the badminton club. I can't abandon the club but I promised I'll make it up. I'll buy you something. Just don't leave me.'

'The teachers are scolding me again. Please don't say that to me. I'm not happy with you saying harsh words to me. I love you, please.'

'I will go there. Just don't go alone. I promise you I'll protect you.'

I'll protect you.

Jaejoong actually hates it that people thought he was so weak he needed his own protection. No, actually Jaejoong could defend himself. The only vulnerable place in his body was his heart.

I scanned through the gallery in the phone. I was shocked to see Jaejoong actually took pictures of them after having . Hyun Joong was embracing Jaejoong from behind.

Urgh...I felt disgusted. It's too much information.

I climbed down the stairs and saw Jaejoong already finished his cooking. He was preparing the table.

"I think you should be more merciful to Hyun Joong."

"Why? You pity him?"

"He loves you. You love him. Why do you want to play tug of war with him? He would obviously fall on his knees to kiss your feet." I sat down after pulling the chair. Jaejoong put the eating utensils in front of me.

"I want to make an expression."

"Jae..."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"He's suffering."

"It will stop soon."

"Wha-"

"I'm fine. He's fine. I know what I'm doing."

*

I certainly didn't know what he was thinking that time. Jaejoong told me to come to the pool later that evening after the swimming club had ended their practice. I was late because I met with the girl I was currently dating. When I came, there was already upheaval. I ran and saw there were a lot of people gathering around the pool.

"What happened?!" I shouted and pushed aside the crowd, and stunned I saw my best friend and another person were in the pool. They were drowning!

Did Jaejoong really proceed about his plan? Is he really an idiot?

"Jaejoong!!" I screamed out loud. Why doesn't anyone have any instinct or will to help them?

I didn't wait any longer. My thoughts were only on Jaejoong. Please don't let him drown. Please don't let him...

I finally could grab a hold of him and dunk his head in the water. He stopped struggling and I pulled him to the edge of the pool. He was already cyanotic and I was panicking by the second. His carotid artery was quite weak. . Shall I do CPR?

"HELP!!" I shouted desperately. Once I attended a life-saving course but how the hell could I remember everything now?

As soon as I was so pissed off, someone came and apparently he knew how to save Jaejoong's life. Well, I saw how he did the chest compression and the mouth-to-mouth respiration. Minutes later, Jaejoong rose back to life.

That was when I figured what happened when I heard the commotion.

"Call the ambulance!" I spun my head around as I heard Jaejoong coughed. I stood up and I ran to the other crowd. I saw a person; he was pale enough and not moving at all and was carried on a stretcher when the ambulance arrived not five minutes later.

He was Kim Hyun Joong. I felt like my heart stopped beating and there was cold sweat coming out from my pores. I balled my fist, watched the said person who was rigidly lying there on the stretcher into the ambulance.

"." I muttered under my breath and dashed to it. As soon as I stepped just in front of the back of the ambulance and in the middle of the crowd I saw him. Jaejoong's lover. His beloved hyung. Kim Hyun Joong.

I wanted to step inside the ambulance like a mad man, but the door closed right in front of me. I was dumbfounded. I froze on the spot, unable to do anything.

My instinct told me to stop Jaejoong.

He did it.

Why was he so stupid?

I turned back when there was a scream behind me. I bit my lower lip. My heart was pumping really hard right now; it felt so hard to breathe as I stepped in front of Jaejoong who had gone crazy.

He slapped me on the face. I could taste the blood and I swallowed.

Jae was crazy, my head said.

He struck me again, and I could only stay there. He wanted to hit me the third time but I held his hands, and pushed him so roughly that he fell on the ground. He stood up again and tried to push me back but I held him so tight he struggled to release himself. He hit me several times on the chest and yet I was holding on until he finally cried. He broke down like a baby.

How things could turn this drastic?

"How could you do something this stupid, Jaejoong?" I whispered, angrily. I wanted him to know, even if I was there for him didn't mean I agreed with everything that he did.

"I wanted to save him!"

"But you're drowning yourself!" Jaejoong howled, his tears were the epitome of a damsel in distress. If someone could be more beautiful with crying more than him, I would severe my own fingers. "Don't be..."

"Is he alive?"

"I'm sorry, Jaejoong."

"NO!" Jaejoong shook his head violently. I hugged him tightly but he fought and fought until I let him go. His knees were weak. He fell to the ground.

"Jaejoong!" I embraced him from behind. What could I do? What should I do?

I looked around and saw the school people were staring pitifully at us. I became mad. How dare they look at us with such pitiful eyes? We don't need those! We are brave enough, strong enough to handle this! My ego shouted harshly in my head but I could only glare at them.

One of the life savers wanted to come near Jaejoong but I pushed him away.

I'll be with him.

*

The silence was deafening us. The news of his death was making him bloodless. When I first heard the news, I couldn't speak. Jaejoong was with me. We were too scared to tell anyone about anything. I suspected something that he did but he still didn't speak about it.

Should I force it out of him?

He was still sobbing like there's no tomorrow. I took him home because I didn't think he would like to come home to only his maids and butler. His parents were never home. Me? Well, Yoohwan was with me all the time so I didn't get lonely. Right now we were in our room and my brother wasn't allowed to enter.

"Yoochun..."

"I told you." I cut him off. He choked. He continued sobbing. I couldn't take it. I cried together with him afterwards and I knew we both looked ridiculous but Jaejoong was too stupid.

"What should I do?" he asked in between the sobs. "I am responsible..."

"We'll figure something out." I said. "I'll ask father to say something to the school members. I'll bribe everyone so that the news won't ever come out. I'll tell everyone that you're almost drown too."

"Yoochun..."

"I won't tell anyone about your affair. I'll do something to those who dared to say something about your relationship," and I meant it.

The school knew about my rage and the board members personally met me and Jaejoong and apologised for the incidence.

It was actually Jaejoong's fault. Jaejoong knew it. I knew it. He told Hyun Joong to come to the pool and he pretended that he was drowning so that poor Hyun Joong would jump in to save him. Everyone knew the boy didn't know how to swim. It was a death trap. That was the reason of why I could not let the story of Kim Hyun Joong out of the school. I had to make people forget about him. I had to make like Kim Hyun Joong had never existed.

So, I forced the board member to erase everything that was related to his existence here in the school. His father was sacked and I never heard about the family ever again.

I knew it Jaejoong's way of loving someone was weird. He was possessive, he was desperate even if the other guy said he would die for him. It was like he was willing to see someone die if it meant he loves him so much. He was a devil in disguise. Jaejoong.

*

I blinked rapidly as I saw Jaejoong stood there in front of me. There was still the person who had been haunting Jaejoong these past few months. I was taken aback when Jaejoong jumped at me and almost pushed me behind. I gathered the situation and saw him stared at Jaejoong.

Changmin. The name echoed in my head as I composed myself. I remembered that look on the tall guy really well. It was a longing, and I recognised it very damn well because I saw it before. I saw it on Kim Hyun Joong. And for an expert like Jaejoong who had always been the centre of attention everywhere he went, he could really read what Changmin wanted.

But I feared something.

Would he do the same thing to Changmin?

But what if...

"Please don't do this to me." suddenly Changmin said, breaking whatever was playing inside my head. Junsu who was behind him pulled Changmin's arm and they walked away somewhere else. I turned to Jaejoong. He didn't say anything.

"Please don't do what you did to him." he closed his eyes.

I bit my lower lip as he looked away from me. What exactly was inside your head when you turned to your other cheek? What was in store for him?

My heart skipped a beat when I saw his lips curled into a smile.

A/N hello everyone! i'm sorry for the late update! i want to update yesterday but the Internet was down and I was so mad!

and it's uri Yoochun's POV, sure he needs one too! well, I guess I would make one with uri Junsu too! keke~

thank you for reading, everyone!~ *bows down*