FOURTEEN

Wish You Were Not Here

Shim Changmin :

Three months had passed since I last saw the kid. He didn't work anymore under Grandma's company, he was nowhere to be found at the coffee shop and when I tried to find him at his college I failed miserably.

Did I say he went to college? Well, apparently he did. It was one of the reasons why the kid stopped working and disappeared altogether from our lives. But even though Kim Hyuk Tae said that, I am still very sure that his sudden discontinuation of the job was because of Yunho. I am yet to discover the truth whenever I find him back.

The truth is, I missed him. Mom told me to find potential bride but I wasn't interested. At least not now even though there are times where I entertained Mom and went to the matchmaking dates just to make her happy. And just because I love her so I didn't want to disappoint her. The girls were all pretty and rich but I didn't feel attracted because my head was full of the kid.

Yunho by the way, since we hadn't met the kid, he had gone to various matchmaking dates with his mom or sometimes Grandma. He looked like he was serious too. He went back and forth overseas. He had been making himself as busy as he could and I myself could barely see him these days. We didn't talk to each other at all about the kid these three months. He avoided the subject because it made him sad and reserved.

But I refused to be discouraged.

***

I didn't know that I would meet him today. It was just another cold Sunday and I just got back from Japan for one of the business trips I had to make as a representative of the company. I wanted to have a large portion of Korean beef barbecue that was almost nowhere to be found in Japan. But it was still morning and I would like to spend my time outside. I chose to walk because it was much easier and undetectable.

I arrived at a park which was near to Yunho's house when I caught sight of him sitting on a bench alone. At first I thought I was dreaming but as I approached the site nearer, it was really him. He looked like he had lost weight because his cheek had become smaller. Did he forget to eat when he entered college? He was still fair, and his hair root had started to show. It looked more like he had his hair highlighted with light brown colour. He was staring at something serenely. There wasn't any frown visible on his young face, and there's a small smile lingered on his lips. He was holding a tin of Coke, and once in a while he drank from it and looked down upon the ground.

He really looked different, like he had changed into someone who I completely didn't know. I stood there very near to him but only after five minutes of total silence that he could feel my presence there. When he turned and saw me, the tin he was holding fell to the ground. The remains spilled and wasted. He clutched his trousers; his feet were both on the ground as if he was ready for the flight. I approached him but my pace wasn't haste. He sat there, his eyes were cautious as a cat. I knew if I made a wrong move, he would flee again. It had been three months and his behaviour right now made me think that he purposely avoided us. I then stopped walking and just smiled at him. He blinked, not sure if I was being threatening or endearing.

"Are you eating nicely? Do you take care of your health?"

He didn't answer, but he started to frown at my question.

"Hey, are you just going to stare at my godly features?" I asked again, now with more edge. He blushed instantly but quickly he looked away. Maybe he wanted to smile but didn't do it. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you." he said, with a shiver.

"Well, don't you want to ask about me too?"

"Umm..."

"I'm fine. Healthy like ever." I cut him abruptly. Again, he made that face. One that showed he wanted to smile but his conscience wouldn't let him.

"What...what are you doing here?"

"I was just here."

"Ummm..."

"I know it sounded like in drama, but really I just happened to pass by here. I'm not here to stalk you," he blushed again. "Just in case you're having the wrong idea." I was excited to see him again, of course. I wanted to touch him again, wanted him to acknowledge me and smile at me again. I despised the fact that I was so ignorant the moment I first saw him because I wanted to make him cry. I intended to make his life miserable and now how could I erase the scar that forever tainted his memories of me?

 

"Okay," he said silently. He was fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

"Are you here alone?" he didn't answer than instead he looked down on the ground and picked the fallen tin. He put it back upright. He then sat straight again and sighed, still ignoring me. "You think I came with Yunho?" the name sparked something in him as he tried to look composed but failed. "He's not here. I'd checked."

"I didn't want to see him." he said in a firm voice.

"Do you want to tell me why?" he took a long breath. "Well..."

My words made their way back in my throat when a boy - probably the same age as Jaejoong approached us. He called out Jaejoong's name happily and then he practically skipped on the way to us. Jaejoong stood up and smiled at this boy, and the boy held out an ice cream cone to Jaejoong.

"Here," his voice was deep.

"Thank you." Jaejoong took it and the vanilla flavoured ice cream. The guy turned to me and smiled.

"Hello," he greeted me happily. His eyes were shining like beads. "Your friend, Jaejoong?"

"Umm..."

"You are..." I tilted my hand to the side and he held out his hand at me.

"My name's Yoochun. I'm Jaejoong's..."

"He is my boyfriend!" abruptly Jaejoong cut him off. I looked at the guy named Yoochun and back at the kid. "Tell him, Yoochun-ah,"

"Oh?" I turned to Yoochun and he nodded even though his face was still confused. "Yes, yes. I'm his boyfriend," he walked to Jaejoong and put an arm behind Jaejoong's tiny waist. Jaejoong smiled, and he looked at Yoochun affectionately.

"Since when?"

"Since Yoochun came here." Jaejoong quickly answered my question. "T-two months ago." Yoochun nodded and smiled to me. I felt like somebody had stabbed a nice long sword into my heart. It was hurting me to see Jaejoong smiled like that; looking so adorable I wanted to eat him alive. Why couldn't I have him?

"So, you must be on your date now, hmm?" the kid nodded slightly. I sighed and then I patted his head. "I'll be going then," he looked at his partner and back at me before he bowed down. Looked like he didn't know what to say to me after three months of pure absence. I smiled weakly at Yoochun who was watching Jaejoong and then I left without saying goodbye.

Then, I realise how big the hole was in my heart and it can only be fill by him only.

A/N hey, everyone! Finally Yoochun's here by Jaejoong's side! Say hi to everyone, Yoochun-ah!