NINE

Wish You Were Not Here

Kim Jaejoong

I arrived at the building at about 12 pm. It was about the time that I took after I procrastinated in the morning. I'm not excited at all, but I had to come because Appa wanted me too. He told me he would not pay for my college if I insisted on not working within this empire. I didn't want to work with chaebol other than Yoochun but I guessed Appa thought it was too much to ask. He instructed me to be here at least before 1pm or else he would never allow me to go to college, or funding me at him.

Guess, I needed Appa's money after all even though I didn't want to admit it.

While I was waiting, I think about Junsu. I missed him this morning. I hadn't come to work since two days ago and he was reluctant when he knew I wouldn't come to work anymore. He asked about my reasons and I just told him I wanted to focus on college. He was entering the same university as me but it would be a long time before we are going to meet again. I was sad and he was devastated even though our friendship was just budding. I liked his company and I could see he cherished our relationship too. I knew a lot about him even though I was secretive about my family. He still didn't know that my father was a president's company and I was an heir. He lives in Seoul and his parents were middle class government workers. He had a twin brother who was in a basketball scholarship program. He sometimes came to the coffee shop to visit his brother. I might say he was a manlier version of Junsu. Not that I'm saying Junsu wasn't manly, he was just too cute.

I tried to distract my attention from thinking too much about who I'm meeting by reading the magazines. Well, nothing of interest to me. Didn't they have any entertainment magazines? Why did all they have are about business and new entrepreneurs?

I played with the plants in the pot that was put onto the glass table in front of me. I was interested in the jelly like substance where the plants were planted in.

A few minutes later, the secretary called for me and I immediately stood up and walked hurriedly towards her. She gestured me to enter the room. I bowed down to him and nonchalantly I placed myself in front of the main table in the room. I heard the director knocked his chair and I lifted my head.

It was Jung Yunho.

.

That was the first word that came into my mind when I saw him in front of me.

***

I shifted my position after five minutes sitting with him. He was explaining to me about the organisation of the company and how he did his function. I couldn't care less. But instead of voicing it out I stared at the folio he was using and the movements of his hands. I noticed his long fingers were really beautiful. He moved it, folded the papers and flipped the pages with those fingers that were angelic like. I observed it, my mind didn't pay attention to what he was saying because...ah...look at the fingers!

Then suddenly he tapped the table right in front of my eyes. My eyes travelled upward and stopped when mine met his milky brown eyes. He had stopped talking because all I could hear was the sound of my own heartbeats. It was beating really loudly now that he was staring down at me. Doki-doki. Doki-doki.

I was nervous so I laughed awkwardly. Habit, I couldn't help it.

"Did you hear what I just explain to you?"

"Err..." I opened my mouth like a fish before I closed it again. He clasped his hands together and I looked at them, admiring them in silence. I fought the devil in me who wanted to poke his eyes which were on me. "Jaejoong?" his voice was gentle as he said my name. Well, lately his voice was like that. Maybe he still felt guilty after what he did to me.

"Please continue,"

"You're not paying attention." he said accusingly even though his voice was still gentle as ever.

"So?" I mumbled, still couldn't find the courage to face him directly. He leaned closer and touched the back of my hand making me jump. I straightened my back, holding my hand and glaring at him like he was some virus. He jumped too because he was surprised by my reaction. "What was that?"

"What?"

"You touched my hand!" I hissed. He blinked, his almond eyes were showing confusion. I looked away again. Why did I have to embarrass myself again before him?

He sighed and scratched his forehead. I tried to pay attention to his explanation but once he was absorbed in the paper works, I found myself staring at his hands again.

"Jaejoong?" he called my name again and I looked up, again. He looked amazed and slightly amused by my lack of interest towards his charming self. I opened and closed my eyes, trying to look innocent even if I was guilty for not doing what Appa asked me to do.

"Okay, I'm sorry..." I mumbled. He then continued talking about a new project which involved Appa which I had no idea about it at all. I only gazed at him blankly, I couldn't think of anything.

He stopped talking.

"Jaejoong." he was annoyed now by my lack of attention. He might as well brand me as an ADD patient. I stared at the almond eyes and he back at me. "We should not do this. The formality is killing both of us,"

"Huh?" I'm not quite sure about what he meant.

"Why do you keep staring? If you don't want to be here, why did you come?" he asked in one breath as if he was impatient, or might be because that was the only thing in his head. I smiled at him, trying my best to annoy him.

"Appa asked me to come. I see he had taken a liking in you," he blushed. "Not that I mind,"

"Why do you suddenly care about what your father wants you to do?"

"Aren't you the same?"

He was caught off guard with the question. He looked away, his hand the lower half of his face like someone who tried to contain their fury. I watched him and then I looked down again unable to say anything more. He sighed, and closed all the paper works in front of us. I stared at him and him at me. Gosh, I would spend all day just playing staring contest with him. He sighed. I chewed the inside of my cheek. The aura of him getting mad of me was irritating me immediately. I was then defeated when the doki-doki in my chest was unbearable. I felt my face hot. He clucked his teeth, making me more uncomfortable when I saw him fidgeting like that. It was really awkward between us and I think I regretted my decision to come here. We could never get along. I knew something was wrong with people that Appa likes, I should had trust my instinct.

He cleared his throat, and drank from the coffee that his secretary had made for us. I didn't touch it at all. He put the cup down and looked into my eyes. It was creepy because it was like staring into a fortune teller's eyes who wanted to read my mind. I gripped the cloth on my knees; my eyes averted somewhere else once more. I couldn't bear this situation anymore. I took a deep breath, summoning the courage to excuse myself from the room.

"Do you know Shim Changmin?" he didn't wait until he heard any answer from me. He stood up. "Follow me."

"Wait, wait..." the incidence of my last encounter with that snarky guy appeared in my head. I had been living with that nightmare since. It was hard to not remember.

"Why?" he noticed my face was paling. The doki-doki in my chest was louder than ever that I felt like I was going to faint. "Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm..."

"You know Changmin, right?" he gestured his hand so that I would follow him. I stood up even though my legs were weak. He swung his long legs and started to walk towards the door before he spun around again to see me still rooted at the same place. He put both hands inside his trousers' pockets. His face showed that he was getting more impatient. I had no other option so I swayed my lifeless legs and followed him. He led me outside, took the turns inside the maze of the office and finally we arrived at a dead end which was actually a place where people came to smoke.

He stopped and turned to me. I stared at him and looked away, afraid that I would give away what I was feeling.

"What do you think of our office?"

"Is this a part of your office? I can't see anyone."

"Not anyone. This is a private place, for me."

"Oh." he cocked an eyebrow. Then he smiled weakly.

"How's your head?"

"Oh." he put his hand on the back of his head. "It's fine. It's healing."

"Are you sure? Because I think you are making a bad choice when you came here." I didn't say anything, but I frowned, so he continued, "I'm talking about here."

I blinked.

"Here?"

"You would get into trouble if you insist on working here," I didn't want to say that I myself hated being here but I kept quiet. He didn't have to know more about me than he did now. It gets annoying because I didn't like people to know about me. I like being secretive because if I let people in, I knew in the end I would end up hurt. I learned it the hard way. "I knew you're here because of your father..."

"Where else would you suggest? I couldn't even work at a coffee shop without being harassed constantly," the words came out fast from my mouth. He gritted his teeth than continued to talk again.

"Okay, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, me too." I muttered as I sent daggers at him. He sighed.

"It was my fault okay? I wasn't..."

"Are we done here? Because I thought you..."

"Hyung!" we both turned towards the voice. I froze in my place and Yunho stepped aside before me as if to protect me from the man who's coming towards us now.

It was Changmin. Bloody Changmin. The person who had stolen my kiss and wanted more of it.

He walked confidently to us and stopped when they were face to face.

He looked passed Yunho and his eyes widened when he saw me.

"What do you want?" I looked at Yunho who now had become defensive, even though I at first thought he actually planned my meeting with Changmin.

"Oh," he ignored Yunho; instead his eyes were on me. "You."

"Changmin, I didn't want to see you," Yunho pushed Changmin aside. He was being assertive now.

"I don't want to see you, too. I want to see him,"

"He's none of your business," Changmin chuckled.

"Oh, yes he is. I kissed him and now he's mine,"

Yunho swung around. I stepped back.

"Back off!" Changmin moved forward and grabbed my wrist. My mouth gaped open, shocked.

"What are you doing?!" Yunho's tone was also alarmed. He looked at me in disbelief and to my own surprise I shook my head. "Hey, let go of him!"

"I said, he's mine!"

"Changmin-ah...you're hurting him." he gripped Changmin's wrist tried to take his hand off mine. I was struggling too. "What do you mean kissed him?" he looked at Changmin and back at me. "Did you kiss him? Do I hear them right?"

I couldn't answer it of course because it was true.

"Jaejoong," Yunho spoke my name again in his own gentle way that I couldn't handle.

"Let me go!" I begged. "Please,"

"Tell him we did kiss that night, Jaejoong." I shook my head. Yunho's eyes widened at my reaction.

"You..." his words left him. He looked at Changmin who was smirking now.

"No, no," I tried to justify things. I would be lying if I deny it, but what should I say? "Yunho, please believe me," Changmin stopped dragging me. His eyes were big just like how Yunho's were. I could easily pull my hand back. Ah...my wrist was red because of him.

"What did you call him?" Changmin barked and I cowered. "Yunho?"

"Sorry, I'm sorry, Yunho-ssi!" I bowed down, taking steps aback because Changmin seemed like he wanted to eat me.

"You brat..."

"I'm sorry I had been rude!" I said again, desperately trying to save myself. I bowed to a forty five degree position with my shaking legs. I was too ashamed of myself for being rude and not thinking first. I just wanted Yunho to believe me.

I then realised that I had been cornered by both of them. My heart was beating really fast after mistakes and mistakes that I'd done.

"It's okay," Yunho said after a while. He extended his hand wanted to maybe pat my shoulder but Changmin stopped him by standing between me and Yunho.

"What is okay?" Changmin glared at Yunho, their body languages were fierce to each other. It was obvious that both of them had unresolved issues. "What is okay with him being your little Joongie here?"

"You misunderstood. He just came in here to work only today,"

"As if I believe you..."

I stood there, cornered as a pitiful deer when both lions here fought for me. I couldn't move anywhere, and there I thought I would never meet them again after I quit working at the coffee shop. To make things worse, I could never back down here. Appa would scar me for life and I was sick already with his disapproval.

Should I say something? Should I stop them from arguing this pointlessly? Whoever wins either way, I would walk away later after I got into college. It's not like...

Suddenly one of the men's cell phone rang. Yunho first stopped and shoved his hand into his trousers' pocket and dug out his phone. He took a quite good look at who's the caller before he answered it. We both watched him, as Changmin too was silent because he saw who was calling Yunho.

"Yes, Director Kim," I looked up, and Yunho's gaze back at me. I could feel my face warming, as Changmin too turned to me. "Yes, he's good. He's learning the process really fast," he was lying through his teeth. I swallowed, and I started to feel restless. I knew he was talking to my father. I stared back at my shoes and he made a gesture for me to follow him. I found myself obeying him and he walked first then Changmin. Changmin's face was stoic. The three of us arrived at his office and there I saw my father - who was still talking on the phone - and his back was against us. I stopped walking and Yunho stopped talking.

"Oh, Jung Yunho-ssi," I wanted to run away from this meeting. I knew it. Appa would never allow me to work anywhere in peace. Yunho walked forward and shook hand with Appa. So did Changmin. He introduced himself to Appa and Appa patted his back. "Ah...you, the son of Shim..." then Appa stopped as if he suddenly remembered something. "...Changmin-ssi, I'm glad that I finally met you,"

"I'm pleased to, sir," he said in a polite way, polite enough that I could never had imagine him to. He had never been this nice, not in front of me.

"Jaejoong, what have you learn from these two young men? You should..."

I groaned. I stepped backwards to the door and spun around. If I had to stay just because Appa told me another of his disapproval, I would rather just kill myself.

A/N hello everyone! i want to update but the maintenance kept getting in the way, and here one chapter updated for you! i'm sorry the story is a bit slowed this time, but i promise the plot would climb back again!

thank you for reading! and all of you subscribers, SARANGHAEYO!!!