TEN

Wish You Were Not Here

Shim Changmin :

He was difficult. He reminded me a lot about how I used to behave when I was his age. I watched, gasping as well when he swung his way out of the room. His father, as I had gathered when I heard the news this morning that Kim Hyuk Tae was the kid's father. That explained why we could meet the kid at the dinner and why Jung ing Yunho was talking to him.

I'm not saying that I was jealous. It was just the facts that Yunho represented Grandma as well as our company. He was the real heir, and I was just like...I don't know. How to say it? A back-up? A back-up director?

It was something like that.

Back to the kid, he walked away from his father like it was a second nature for him to do so. He pulled the door and didn't even care to glance back towards us.

Yunho was the first one to decide to run after him but I grabbed his wrist stopping him.

"His dad is here. You shouldn't favour him," he sighed before he pulled his hand back harshly. He turned back to the wide eyed Kim Hyuk Tae. I took this as a cue to follow after the kid. "Hey!" I called out and the kid was already heading to the elevator. He was serious in leaving his father just like that. He was braver than I was. "Wait up," he rushed into the elevator and frantically pushed the button but I managed to sneak inside before the door closed. He hugged himself and stood at a corner, his eyes were making holes at me. I knew he was mad or maybe annoyed because I was once like him too. His face was beet like.

The elevator was actually taking its own sweet time, and I was alone with the kid.

"Do you have legitimate reasons to just run away from your father like that?" he huffed but didn't answer my question. I smirked; his reaction was exactly similar to those rebellious brats out there. "People in this business don't run away like that. Don't you know that Director Kim is going to collaborate with this company?"

"I know." he mumbled and he rolled his eyes.

"Why don't you take this seriously? It's your father, you will take over him someday sooner or later,"

"Don't tell me what to do."

"Don't tell me what to say," he groaned and I knew I succeeded in pissing him off. His legs were dying to run out of the elevator right now. I stared at him, and my lower lip.

Apparently he noticed it.

Oh God, he did remember what we did that time! His face started to change from fuming to cowering. He was unsure if he should just run now. He pushed the buttons harshly but the door didn't open. Why should it? He hit the wrong button!

I grinned at him.

"Relax, I won't do anything to you." I said.

"I don't believe you."

"But you want Yunho to believe you, why?" he was taken aback by the question. "Do you like him?"

He turned his head away.

"Ah, you like him!" I was amazed by how fake my excitement was. He shook his head, but I already felt the pang of frustration hitting my chest. He looked at me.

"Why should I like a man?"

"Kid, please." I cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm not a kid anymore,"

"You look like one to me," he was angry now. Unfortunately for me but otherwise for him, the elevator door opened. He didn't wait any longer for our argument and dashed outside. We were in the lobby now. The kid's pace was quick and I found myself breathless chasing after him.

But wait, why should I care about him? What did he have to do with me?

I stopped running and just watched him exited the building. He didn't even look back at me. I chuckled to myself. Oh, what an attitude!

***

I returned then to Yunho's office. There wasn't Kim Hyuk Tae in sight so I'm guessing the meeting was over. Yunho was sitting behind his desk, his forehead wrinkled as he read something that was before him. There was a pen in his hand, and he was ready to sign something on a paper.

"Hey," he looked up when he saw the door opened and me appearing. I kept my stoic face. "How's the kid?"

"Fine."

"His father didn't say anything about him when he ran away like that,"

"Figures," I replied nonchalantly. I sat on the couch provided and rested my head on the hand rest.

"What did he say to you?"

"Nothing."

"Changmin,"

"Yunho-hyung." I said it just to annoy him. He sighed, apparently I succeeded.

"You are never polite to me,"

"I have to. This is business," I could hear him laughing sarcastically. It should be me who was sarcastic but instead I found myself huffing over it. I hit the floor with my feet making a loud noise. Then, we fell silent.

"Is he okay?"

"Who?"

"You know who."

"Oh, Lord Voldemort. Well, too bad he's dead in the seventh book or I should have been his apprentice,"

"Changmin."

"He's alright. He's just being difficult." I gave in when Yunho gave me that look. "You know how teenagers are,"

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know."

"Changmin."

"No, I'm serious. I don't know. He's not someone I should take care of," he sighed and I heard him put something down on the table. There was silence again as I waited for him to speak. But then nothing came, so I spoke.

"Hey, what did Kim Hyuk Tae say to you?" I asked, just trying to avert the topic.

"Business stuff."

"Only that? What about his son?" he was quiet for a moment.

"Nothing. He didn't say anything."

"What about..."

"Why did you kiss him?" my mouth gaped open when suddenly Yunho was towering beside me who was sitting.

"Kiss who?"

"Changmin..." he rolled his eyes, both his hands were on his waist. I shrugged. "Why in the earth did you do that?"

"I was drunk, okay? I went to a bar and I met him. He brought me to a hotel,"

"A hotel?!" I didn't like his tone at all.

"It was all innocent..."

"It wasn't innocent when you kissed a boy when you yourself are a grown man!"

"I'm not going to go beyond that! It was just a kiss!"

"What the hell?"

"He didn't know I'm going to kiss him," I defended the kid. Somehow I didn't want Yunho to think of him as such brats that only wanted to have fun. True, I wanted him all to myself but I couldn't let anyone else see him as someone filthy.

"You bastard..."

"That was sensitive,"

"Fine, but..."

"It's his fault for being so pretty," I cut him off. He huffed, and scratched his head. He flinched at the word 'pretty' because it was used to describe a boy that both of us were ing chasing. Somehow it felt so weird, but I didn't regret it. Not at all.

"Do you like him?"

"Of course I hate him. Why should I try to kiss him in the first place?" I replied sarcastically.

"No, not like that. I mean, romantically, like how you like a girl?"

"What do you think?"

Well, he didn't tell me what he was thinking.

***

Yunho didn't say anything then because he got a call from his secretary saying he got an important meeting with a new investor. I went to my own office and just sat on the chair without doing anything. I remembered, picturing the kid in my head. I shook my head.

No, no. Yunho already thought I had felt something for this kid and it's not normal at all. It was just a kiss, right?

But whenever I thought of the kiss, my face would turn warm. Aish. This couldn't be. I should be careful by now because it could have meant he had bent my uality. . I took out my phone and texted my best friend, KyuHyun. He was a private investigator and he liked his job so much that I couldn't pull him out of it. He had done so many interesting cases before. KyuHyun texted me back and asked what I had been doing because he knew about my current job. Well, he was the first person I told when I left after I'd gotten my degree in business.

'What's up, buddie?'

'Find me Kim Jaejoong, and his father, Kim Hyuk Tae.'

After a while, the reply came.

'What?'

'I won't type the same message.'

He didn't know about Kim Jaejoong. I didn't tell him about the kid, yet. Maybe because I didn't want KyuHyun to assume anything.

'Okay, but why?'

I clucked my tongue. I'll tell KyuHyun but not now. So I went business-like.

'He's my potential competitor for my position,'

I made them up, of course. But one can never be too careful.

'Give me time, then.' I smiled, and I put down the phone on the table before another message came in.

'It's not like you.'

'What?' I rolled my eyes. KyuHyun was always cautious and he questions everything. Like, everything.

I sighed, while my thumbs danced to reply.

'You never care about the position.' his text sounded threatening.

'Well, I do now.'

'Is it about this Kim Jaejoong? You feel threatened by him?' more like attracted to him. But of course I won't tell.

'Shut up and do your work.' then I ignored him.

***

I was doing my work, and then I got bored. So, I decided to leave early. Yunho would not mind, Grandma loves me, so nothing hurts.

I detoured to SeungHyun's coffee shop. I always set myself there when I had mess in my head that I could not push aside. It was always about the kid first, but when the kid had gone, I found the atmosphere in the coffee shop was soothing. SeungHyun didn't greet me as much now that I had become a regular customer.

I sat at my usual place, ordered m usual drink (which was a fruit smoothie) and pretzels. The meal actually didn't satisfy me but I could grab something else somewhere on the way back.

Then I noticed that Junsu wasn't there. I asked a waiter about his whereabouts and he said Junsu went out with a friend. Furthermore, he was someone who used to work there.

It must be Jaejoong!

Oh, he ran here.

I stood up and thanked the waiter (see, I have manners too!) before I went outside. I wandered around the corner on foot; my eyes were searching for both the kid and Junsu. I tried to look casual as I peeked into every store I passed while keeping both hands inside my pants' pockets. I was lucky because of my height.

When I was about to give up, I heard a commotion at a back alley. I wanted to ignore it but my feet stopped walking when I heard his voice.

"No, no! Don't hurt him! Take my money, please!"

 I ran to the back alley and shocked to see both Junsu and the kid were surrounded by six people who looked like gangsters, or bad guys. The kid was in front of Junsu who was cowering and they definitely looked as vulnerable as .

"Hey!" I shouted and the eight of them turned towards me abruptly. I had definitely had stolen the spotlight away from them. All of them looked young enough to be my dongsaengs. Haish. "Why don't you mess with your own age here?"

"Yah, ahjussi! Get out of here!"

"What? Yah! I'm not even 25! How dare you call me ahjussi?!" I shouted louder. My eyes glared at both the kids and gritted my teeth; I told them to run. Jaejoong who was hand in hand with Junsu turned towards his best friend, his eyes were scared and unsure. "Run, idiot!!"

"Run," Jaejoong pushed Junsu to kick start their flee but one of them spun around and caught Jaejoong's shirt. Jaejoong fell backwards, I could hear his shirt ripped apart.

"Yah!" I shouted angrily as I dashed towards him. "Don't you dare lay a hand on him!" I didn't want to fight, really, but the way he treated Jaejoong put me off. I saw black stars in front of me and all hell broke loose. I punched the guy who pulled Jaejoong just then. I heard Junsu gasped. The other five went berserk and started to attack me together. I fought them, not that I wanted to but it was a reflex. I hit all of them and severely. I couldn't see well, I could only hear the ringing in my ear as I kicked and swung my fist on their young faces, and blood splattered on my face like it was nothing. I couldn't feel well the pain that they elicited to me by punching their childish moves and kicks that could only beat a weak cat.

"Stop! Changmin-ssi! Stop!" I heard Jaejoong screamed, but the beatings on my body didn't halt at all. I spun and swung my leg, hitting the targets helpless on the dirty ground.

And then it was silent.

I was hyperventilating because of the exhaustion. I beat them all. I collapsed to the ground; my legs couldn't bear my weight anymore. My eyes were closed and I heard Jaejoong and his best friend scooted to me in hurry and worry. I wanted to open my eyes, but it was painful. Now my body could absorb the pain sensation because I had turned it on. My conscience. My sane mind.

"Changmin-ssi! Changmin!" Jaejoong shook my shoulder but my body couldn't response. "Junsu, please call the ambulance," I heard Junsu's frantic voice talked on the phone and we waited.

"Was it good?" I spoke without my eyes opened.

"Huh?"

"Was it good, Jaejoong? My fighting technique?"

"What? Changmin-ssi..."

"I used to be a lot like you, Jaejoong-ah. Please don't make me do this again,"

"No, no, no, Changmin-ssi." I smiled and he shook my shoulder again. "The ambulance is on the way,"

"I know. Please stay with me,"

a/n annyeong everyone! aaaaah...finally something good that Changmin did for Jaejoong!! but does it worth it?

i am so in a dilemma on who Jaejoong will end up with because i can see that both of them are falling in love real hard for uri Jaejoong! aigooo~

well said then, thank you for reading and for new subscribers, welcome and please enjoy your stay here! *bows down*