TWELVE

Wish You Were Not Here

Kim Jaejoong

The family day happened at last. It was exactly a week after I worked at Jung's building. Appa had become really satisfied with my performance in the company. I didn't know if it was because of me or because it was actually Yunho who had to tell him.

I blushed at the thought of a man liking me. No, make it two. I had my fair share of people liking me when I was in school but all of them didn't make my heart flutters like now. I couldn't put my fingers on what I was feeling. It was something new. I had never had these feelings since...

All my thoughts were cut short when suddenly somebody put a hand on my shoulder. I spun around and saw Mr Choi beamed at me. I smiled back at him. I guessed he was invited too even though he wasn't working in the company like Yunho and Changmin. He wore a nice tracksuit in black that showed off his thin and tall features. Mr Choi came alone and he looked pretty excited about this family day.

"They invited you here?"

"I'm a temp," Mr Choi's eyes widened.

"You quit my coffee shop because you wanted to work there? Are you a masochist?" we both laughed at his joke.

I never knew then that I would work here with those two devils. But people changed. People's perspective changed.

I changed my mind about them.

Then Mr Choi left me to play a game with someone. Maybe he was Mr Choi's best friend. I was alone then to find my own pleasure. There were games provided for the staffs but because I didn't have any friends here and because I'm so awkward I couldn't find any spirit to do anything. I wandered around the venue, watching married staffs with their children. I joined the balloon-making team and learned how to make a balloon dog. It was okay and I was getting better after two tries. Then, I was given my own balloon-dog hat that I made myself as a present from the team leader. I walked alone to a gathering of people at the pool, and I saw him. Yunho. But he was with someone else.

I watched from afar Yunho who was with a woman who was maybe the same age as him. He dressed casually today, only in navy blue striped t-shirt with cargo pants. The woman was beautiful, and she wore a fuchsia summer dress and was the definition of cheerfulness and enjoyment. She laughed and chuckled alongside Yunho who always gazed back at her with a look that could only be interpreted as a longing.

I huffed. I felt my face warmed up by the mere sight of it.

Did I not let you in? I heard myself say loudly in my ears but inaudible to others.

I found it difficult to breathe when I watched them playing a game together, a stupid game beside the pool. Yunho was laughing, and the woman was touching him in every opportunity she gets. I put a hand on my balloon hat as I stood there still.

This was why I never get my hopes up. This was why I never wanted to believe in stupid things like this.

I wanted to walk away when suddenly I lost my balance. I screamed, only holding on to my balloon hat as I fell into the cold pool.

"Help!" I slumped into a panic state. I didn't know how to swim and I was still traumatized by my past memory. I struggled violently but water kept invading my mouth and I swallowed too much of it that my belly felt really heavy. My tears which were abundant now mixed with the pool water.

The nightmare, I remembered it. The incident that made me shut my heart from everyone, the incident who had shaped me to who I am now.

Kim Hyun Joong. The name echoed inside my head for the first time in years after I suppressed my memory about it. The black hole inside my heart started to vomit back the memories that I didn't want to remember, and it was Kim Hyun Joong's name that first emerged.

Help. I mumbled the word, but can anybody hear me? I'm scared.

I closed my eyes, as I felt the water swallowed me whole. Arrghh...the feeling of helplessness!

Then I heard people jumped into the water. I tried to turn to see who was brave enough to save me, but I couldn't. Suddenly my head was pushed harshly into the water that I almost passed out and a muscular hand circled my neck and dragged me to the edge of the pool.

He laid me on the cold tiles floor.

"Jaejoong! Hey!" he slapped my face. I could barely open my eyes; I was too scared and weak. I couldn't breathe; there was enough water in my belly that it was bloated. I just couldn't breathe...

Then I felt the lips sealed onto mine and he breathed into my mouth. I heard his frantic movements when he used his hands to restart my collapsing heart. No, stop it! It hurts!

He breathed into me again, this time I could feel the desperation.

I gasped. I could breathe again. The water came out of my mouth, but it's okay because I'm alive again. I opened my eyes and saw Changmin who was as wet as me. He was breathing heavily.

"Goodness!" he exclaimed.

"Changmin-ssi!" I couldn't think of anything else other than he had saved my life. I looked at him and sobbed. He pulled me into his embrace and kissed my forehead gently.

***

"Not a nice family day, right?" he offered me a cup of hot tea in the tent where I was treated. Changmin brought me here to get dry clothes and to help me with the shock. He was surprised too when he knew I didn't know how to swim.

I smiled weakly at him when he pulled a chair and sat beside me. He sipped his hot coffee, with small towels wrapped around his long neck. I glanced at him, praising his good look and tall stature in silence. The tent happened to have only us two and a nurse who was busy doing her work. I was sitting at the small table in the middle of the tent, and Changmin sat across me. His gaze wasn't at me, like he was thinking of something.

"What are you doing so close to the water if you don't know how to swim?" his question surprised me because it was sudden. He looked back at me; I couldn't decide if he seemed angry or worried. "You could have died." his tone was full of contempt.

"I'm sorry..." I bowed my head down. He scooted over nearer to me and messed with my damp hair.

"You scared me!" he said, his mismatched eyes frightened me too. I gave him a weak smile. He sighed. His gaze went to the ceiling of the tent. Something was inside his mind again.

Suddenly the door of the tent was opened from the outside. Both of us turned when Yunho entered the tent with the woman in tow. Changmin sat still, and his arms defensively hugging himself. I couldn't make myself move when Yunho approached me.

"Are you okay?" I couldn't answer verbally, so I just nodded. "Thank God,"

I glared at him but when I couldn't bear the fact that I couldn't look at him in the eyes, I stared at my feet instead. He put the back of his hand on my cheek which startled me. I looked up, and shifted my position.

"Are you really okay?" he wanted to pull me into a hug but suddenly Changmin encircled his arm around me preventing him to do so. I looked up at Changmin. His eyes were burning holes into Yunho's face.

"Stay away from him." he hissed. Yunho was taken aback. "You should not hurt him ever again."

"Wh-what?" Yunho finally gotten the message and his head spun to the woman behind him. "It's only Go Ara!"

"It didn't look like that just now." Changmin sneered as he tightened his hold on me. I swallowed, my saliva felt bitter. My hands slowly grasped Changmin's arms and he patted my fingers. I hid my faint smile and I didn't think Yunho would see it.

But I was wrong. When I looked up, he was staring at me. I froze. He grasped my collar and Changmin furiously hit his hand.

"Don't touch him!" he barked. "You did give an impression on him and that's that!"

"You can't tell me what to do. Just because I bring Go Ara here didn't mean she's my girl..." he stopped when my eyes met him. Did my eyes give him anything? I looked away immediately.

"Jaejoong-ah..." his voice pleaded. I closed my eyes, it felt really weird. Did I act like a jealous friend? Did I act like...

I held onto Changmin's hand closer to me. He was acting like my protector now; did it mean actually Changmin knew what happened – what I was actually watching before I fell into the pool?

Please get this awkward situation end before anything worse happen.

"Jaejoong-ah, believe me. She is nothing; she's just a friend,"

"Friend my ." Changmin scoffed. "Is he believable?" he asked the question to me.

"Changmin-ssi..." the woman whose name was Go Ara put a hand on Yunho, trying to step forward and say something to him. Changmin didn't wait, though. He moved and grabbed my wrist and dragged me outside. I hastily walked as fast as I could to catch up with his pace.

"Changmin...Changmin-ssi," I called out to him. We were being the center of attention in this family day because Changmin who was feared by people dragged me, and Yunho who was loved by his staff was chasing after us. I practically ran when finally he stopped when we were far away from the crowd and there was a shady tree so we took refuge under it.

"Don't look so weak in front of him like that!" I hung my head low. "That was depressing, Jaejoong! Depressing! Do you know how hard it was to save you?!"

"I'm sorry,"

"Don't...argghh!" Changmin put his hands on both of my shoulder. "You made me wanted to kiss you so bad," he whispered as he leant forward. He smirked when my eyes widened. I chewed the inside of my cheek, because I was so nervous. Changmin was an aggressive kisser, and he was good at it too. He could take me now and leave me just like that but somehow I knew he wouldn't do that to me.

Eventually he calmed down and sat beside me on the bench. I looked at him and smiled. He leant down and pecked me on the lips.

"Ah...finally," he chuckled to himself. He wanted to kiss me again but I turned away so he kissed my cheek instead. "Oh, that's the second time you did that to me," I felt my face warm instantly. Should I let him tease me continuously like this? "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Nothing," I looked down, too shy to look at him again. He laughed.

"You know, you nailed it."

"What?"

"Being ignorant with all the chasing."

"Yunho-ssi told me about you and him,"

"About me?"

"You like me?" his mismatched eyes seemed surprised, but he continued gazing at me. He chuckled and he put a hand on his mouth to prevent him from laughing louder. I was sure my face had turned purple because of him. I heard him sighed when I didn't say anything more.

"Hey..." my eyes met him for a while. Then he took my right hand and put it on his left chest. He used his other hand and flicked my forehead. I blinked. "You. Are. Always inside here." I got shy immediately. He leant in again; he wanted to kiss me for one more time. I gave him a small smile, letting him know that I'm letting him kiss me this time.

But suddenly there was a swoosh sound just before my nose. I gasped as Changmin dropped harshly to the ground.

"Changmin-ssi!" Changmin stood up almost immediately and swung his fist forward. I stood up too and saw that it was actually Yunho who had hit Changmin. The woman wasn't there with him. I didn't know how to describe the feelings but it was close to feeling relieved. Like, if you are assured of something.

"Stop! Stop!" I ran between them, spreading my arms frantically. Well, both of them didn't stop of course. Why would they listen to me? Whenever they met each other and there was me alongside them, they would fight and hit each other like nothing else matters. It hurts me in a way one could imagine. I was not worth being fight for. I was just a kid, who didn't even know who I had taken a liking of. I was just a kid who nobody knows whatever would happen tomorrow if I ever give my heart to them.

"Why are you being like this? Can we all just be friends?" I screamed again, but no was given to me then. When they ignored me, I just stood there watching them hurt each other. Changmin's lips were bleeding again; they only just healed since the gangster incident. Yunho's eyes, the beautiful eyes were swollen and red.

It started to rain. There were thunders and lightning and they were exhausted now. Both of the men, I mean. Changmin lay on the ground, his breathing were rapid and it sounded like something had blocked his nose. Yunho was sitting down, his hands behind his back and his face turned towards the sky. We were quickly drenched in rain, and no signs of them to give up.

"If you ever..." I wiped the water away from my face. I couldn't distinguish whether I was actually crying. Everything had merged together. "If you ever fight like that again, I'll flee. And you will never hear from me ever since,"

Both of Changmin and Yunho looked at me.

"I'm serious." I added. "It's all the same when I'm around. That is if I'm around, I don't know what else that you do without me."

"Oh please. Don't be so full of yourself. We don't always fight like this,"

I looked at Changmin with disbelief. His words hurt me in a way I could not imagine. I shook my head.

"Fine, then." I heard my voices shook. Changmin noticed that my face had changed.

"Jaejoong-ah..."

"No, it's fine," I took a few steps aback. "It's okay if you continue to fight because of me!" I screamed, suddenly out of control. "It's okay because it won't matter anyway what I think because of both of you are ing more intelligent than me!"

Both Yunho and Changmin gasped. I balled my fist but unable to do anything. I wiped the rain away from my face harshly and quickly I ran away.

Again, I walked away. But I'm sorry because as long as you guys kept behaving like that, I'll always act like this.

A/N o0o0o0o what happened, uri jaejoong? who will you choose?

thank you for NoLimitXInfinite for the beautiful poster!

thank you for you readers, and subscribers and the commenters! saranghae!