A Weird Acting Mom

One Call Away

 

“Dinner’s ready!” My mom yelled and I quickly rushed downstairs. It was almost seven o’ clock and I was starving.

I sat across my father at dinner and next to my mom.

“Hey,” My dad suddenly said. “You haven’t told me about Spain yet,” I looked up at him with wide open eyes. My dad still didn’t know I hadn’t stayed in Spain for a month, but instead ended up in Korea and couldn’t leave. I looked at my mom who just smiled at me.

“I-It was fun,” I said in a monotone voice, not entirely sure why he suddenly asked this. I had been home for months, why did ask this now?

“Can’t you give me more details?” He asked smiling brightly.

“Well,” I started, not knowing what I was going to say. “I hang out a lot with the new family in town,”

“A new family?” My father asked, wanting a detailed story I wasn’t able to give.

“They spoke proper English,” I said smiling at him. “Can you pass me the salad?” I tried quickly changing the topic.

“This was the first time you went alone, right?”

“Uhuh. O mom, the meat tastes really good!” I looked at my father. “Don’t you think?”

I knew he wanted to say to me that he wanted to know more, but if he didn’t compliment my mom’s cooking, she would become really irritated.

“It’s delicious hunny,”

“A shame my stomach’s upset,” I said pushing my plate away.

“But you just wanted more salad?” My father asked, obviously confused.

“Yeah, but I think I’m going to lay on bed for a while now,” I said and rushed to stairs.

“Rest a bit and make sure you feel better tomorrow!” My mom yelled after me.

“Will do,” I said to myself while rushing up the stairs, escaping the conversation about the stay in Spain. The stay that never occurred.

As soon as I closed the door I let myself drop on the bed.

My mom knew about Spain being fake, then why didn’t she try to help me just now? Did she want me to tell dad or something? I sighed and rolled onto my back, grabbing the remote control and turning on the television. I had to spend my evening doing something, right?

 

It was probably because of that phone call I got that day, because that night I dreamt about him.

 

“Go ahead,” I pointed at the food. “Try,”

T.O.P hesitated at first but the started eating, bit by bit.

“Omo,” He murmured and he looked even more surprised. “It’s really good!” My smile grew bigger, I was happy he liked it, even though I didn’t even make it.

T.O.P picked some food up with his chopsticks. “Here, try,” He lifted the food to my face. “Say ‘aa’,” I put my hair behind my ears and awkwardly opened my mouth. T.O.P then cupped my face with his hand and fed me my food. I felt the skin underneath his hand become very hot and was afraid T.O.P would notice this, so I quickly pulled back. My eyes opened wide. It was indeed really good.

...

“Beautiful isn’t it?” G-Dragon asked. He crouched in front of the lake and just stared in front of him. “This place always calms me down, no matter how big my problems are,”

I joined him, but didn’t go down on my knees. The sunbeams reflected in the water and there was no cloud to be seen.

I closed my eyes and inhaled the air. The sound of birds was to be heard on the background. I wasn’t going to think about him anymore, not now, not this month. I was almost in a trance when G-Dragon lay his hand on my shoulder. I turned around and looked into his dark and caring eyes.

“___,” He said with his happy voice. “Let’s go on a date once,”

 

“Rise and shine, sunshine!” I groaned and my side to see my mom standing in the door opening. “We’re going somewhere special today,” She clapped in her hands twice. “Now get dressed quickly and put on something nice,” She said and then left the room.

I moaned and to my stomach, burying my face in my pillow. Stupid mornings. Why did we suddenly have to go somewhere, I enjoyed spending full mornings in bed.

I sighed when I thought about what I had dreamt. Somehow in my dreams they always appeared both and those dreams also only made me see the happy moments in Korea. I didn’t even remember bad moments being there, it was that I knew they had occurred. Quite often. But now I just got this horrible feeling of regret again. In my memory everything just seemed so perfect…

I didn’t put on anything nice. I wore a hoodie, jeans and boots, with heels. At least my legs looked sort of nice that way, but dressing up entirely, I just didn’t feel that way.

 

“You surely took your time,” Said my mum as I got downstairs. She sighed when she saw I was wearing a hoodie. “Ah, ___! Why didn’t you just put on something pretty,” She sighed heavily. “You know what, it doesn’t matter, cause you and your dad are already late,”

“Me and dad? Where are we going then?” I asked while my mom started to push me out of the house.

“It’s a surprise, you’ll see when you get there,” My mom said and just before I could make a clever remark she closed the door in front of my face. Why did I need to leave to house so badly? I questioned myself while I walked to my dad’s car that was parked in front of our house.

I sat down and fastened my seat belt quickly, immediately sitting straight and holding onto the dashboard. My dad looked at me as if I had gone crazy. I looked back at him, remembering that not everyone drove like my ex-chauffeur and old-friend, Kang-Dae, did back in Korea, and let go off the dashboard.

 

“Why exactly did we drive around nearby cities all day?” I asked a bit irritated and very tired. We were just heading back home and it had gotten dark. “And for what reason did I have to dress up for this?”

My dad shrugged and took a right turn, entering our neighbourhood. “I actually don’t know, your mother told me to keep you busy until diner,” I turned to look at my dad with a puzzled look. He smiled. “Well, your mother called me this afternoon telling me I couldn’t come home before nine o’clock, that’s why we ate at that fast-food restaurant,”

This wasn’t any ordinary day, I mean my mother often did these things where she suddenly said I had to go do things and when I’d come back there would be this surprise birthday party, or graduation party. But it certainly wasn’t my birthday today, nor was there any reason to throw a party, so something else was going on.

My dad parked the car in front of our house and as soon as I got out the front door slammed open, with my mom running outside. She had a huge smile on her face that wasn’t meaning any good. She ran around me and put her hands on my shoulders, guiding me to the door.

“M-Mom, what is going on?” I said trying to slow down my mom’s quick pace. She had done something, that was for sure.

“I’ve got a surprise for you,” She said as we were only a metre away from the door.

“What?” I looked over my shoulder, still not trusting her. “Why?”

 “Don’t worry, you’ll see when you get inside,” While she said this, she also pushed me inside. My heels clicking on the wooden floor of our small hallway. I turned around to look at my mom, she waved at me to go further, but I wasn’t too sure I wanted to. Something was off, I had this clenching awkward feeling in my stomach that told me something big was up. “Just go, your father and I will leave you two alone,” She then closed the front door and after a few seconds I heard the car start.

“..Two?” I questioned myself softly. I turned around. So that meant there was someone else here? I swallowed hard. This wasn’t funny, it felt as if I was in this lame horror movie where my mom had set up a date with the killer. Not that such a horror movie exists, I mean that would be an even worse story movie than those movies have now.

I shook my head. There was no killer in this house, so thinking about that wasn’t going to help me. I slowly walked  past the staircase, to kitchen. “Hello?” I asked right before turning the corner. I heard some movement and knew the person was there. I took a deep breath, trying to ignore to horrible feeling I had in my stomach and walked into the kitchen.

Only to stop two steps later. I felt my heartbeat accelerate and my eyes grow bigger. I stared at him in disbelief and as soon as his eyes met mine, my heart that immediately leaped, I knew that this wasn’t my imagination.

I swallowed hard. “W-What are you doing here?”