An Unanswered Call

One Call Away

 

 

I walked downstairs, clumsily trying to get my shoes on while walking the stairs.

“___, is that you?” Asked my mother from the kitchen.

“I’m going out for a while!” I said while opening at the door.

“O,” I heard her say, sounding a little bit disappointed. I sighed and waited a few seconds, knowing she was going to say something. “Still not in the mood for a talk?”

I smiled and shook my head. You had to give her credit for her persistency. “Bye mom,”

I closed the front door and walked to the side of the house, to my bike. I unlocked and drove off. I didn’t have a drivers licence. I did have lessons once, but after having multiple discussions with instructor, about who knew it better, I decided to stop. Of course I knew that every one of those discussions my instructor had been right, but that was what irritated me so much. Coming to think of it, I wasn’t really good at being wrong back then. I did everything to make people believe I still was the one who was right, of course, trying to get your driver’s licence with that attitude wasn’t really working.

When I had to stop in front of a red light I heard my ringtone play. I opened my purse and looked through it, trying to find that stupid vibrating-noise making device. After searching through it for a few times I found it and quickly pulled it out of my purse.

My heart froze when I looked at the one who was calling.

I looked at the number multiple times, I read the name multiple times, feeling this harsh pain in my chest as my mind started recalling memories of the last time he had called me. At the airport, when I was about to leave everything behind, including him.

I swallowed hard and clicked on the red button. I put my phone back in my purse and as soon as the light turned green I cycled further.

 

I went to a small coffee shop in the neighbourhood and sat down at a table there after ordering some hot chocolate, because I didn’t like coffee. You have to learn drinking it, well I tried multiple times, but the bitter and horrible taste will never become tasty.

I had taken my laptop with me and wanted to enjoy the free wifi there for a few minutes. We had internet at home as well, but my father had somehow made it possible to see what everyone was doing who was using it. I just prefer a bit more privacy while surfing the internet.

After visiting the shop I directly went home. We lived in this small town, where nothing interesting ever happened. It was just a quiet and calm town and annoyed me a lot. Ever since I ended the hectic live I had for just a month in Korea, I wasn’t really used to having to plan my own things and, even more important, pay for everything myself. But my live was slowly getting back to normal. Slowly.

As soon as I opened the door to my parents’ house I threw my purse on the floor and walked straight to the kitchen. I popped my head around the corner and looked at my mom’s back, her front was turned to the stove. She busy making dinner. “Home,” I said.

“Got ya!” My answered quickly, too busy to have a talk. Not that I complained.

I walked upstairs and into my room. My eyes immediately got drawn to my desk, filled with books. I sighed heavily. Stupid school.

I wasn’t concentrated at all, I may have read that one sentence ten times by now, but it just wouldn’t stay in my head. I let out a frustrated yell and closed my books with a loud thud. Why was studying so, not fun?

“___!” I heard my mom yell from downstairs.

“What!” I shouted back in an irritated voice. She knew I wasn’t angry at her for shouting,  every time I hit the books I ended up being frustrated.

“Your phone is ringing!”

“Ugh,” I really didn’t feel like standing up to get one call, it probably wasn’t important anyway.. “Let it ring!” I shouted back. My mom didn’t answer so I assumed she had gone back to making dinner.

 

~Normal POV~

“Let it ring!” ___ shouted from her room, obviously not in the mood to get up. She sighed, even though she was her mother, she had no idea why ___ would get so irritated by learning.

She sighed and bent down, searching through ___’s purse. She smiled as soon as she had found the phone and quickly answered the call, if ___ didn’t want to answer it, she could at least take a message.

“Hello,  this is ___’s phone, she’s currently-” She looked up stairs. “- busy. Can I take a message?”

“… Who is this?” She was surprised by the low voice of the speaker and didn’t expect a guy to be calling her daughter. She felt  excitement filling her body, knowing that this guy had to be interested in her. She just sensed it.

“I’m ___’s mother,” She said with a smile on her face. “May I ask who I’m speaking to?”