Recalling

One Call Away

 

I groaned in annoyance. My head was aching so badly that I didn’t dare to move. I kept my eyes shut as I tried to swallow. My mouth felt dry and I was really thirsty.

O, I had done it again, drinking when I was troubled, and now I had to face the consequences: a hangover.

The memories of last night were a bit vague, but as I tried to remember them clearly my head felt like it would explode. So I gave up trying to reveal what those blurry images, that I call memories, portrayed.

A cold breeze tickled my bare shoulders and sent shivers down my spine. The shivers immediately resulted in having my head ache even more. I growled and pulled my blanket further over my body.

After a few more minutes of feeling dehydrated and miserable, I decided to go to my bathroom as quickly as possible to get some water.

When I stood up I felt my stomach turn, in a reflex I immediately covered my mouth with my hand, but fortunately I didn’t puke. But that didn’t lessen the headache.

As I walked into my bathroom the first thing I saw was the mirror. I froze as I saw myself, as I saw what I looked like. All my make-up was ruined, but not because I slept. No. Lines of mascara and eye-shadow was smudged round my eyes and halfway down my cheeks.

 

“He’s a jerk,” I hissed between my teeth. I was standing on the small balcony of my apartment, resting my arms on the rail that prevented me from falling down. I shook my head and scoffed. My eyes were stinging. “He’s a liar,” I bit my lip as I felt the warmth of my tears roll down my cheek. “A ing liar!”

 

My head ached even more as memories from last night were recalled. I shook my head ever so slightly to stop myself. I had cried and according to the redness of my eyes, I had cried a lot.

I sighed heavily as I was finally able to fill a glass with water. I drank it at once, and filled it again, drinking a few glasses so the headache would go away as soon as possible. When I was about to fill my glass again I noticed my right hand, in which I held the glass, was slightly bruised. I frowned and put the glass down. I lifted my arm and examined my hand closely. The palm was slightly red, and my knuckles had bruises on them.

 

“A jerk, he’s just a jerk,” I repeated to myself as a mantra.

“Who is?” I froze and quickly turned to see who walked in on me in this pathetic state I was in. It could have been anyone, anyone at all, and I would have been able to dry those tears and just put my cheerful façade back on.

Everyone but the guy I was facing right now.

The guy who used to be able to cheer me up with just his presence. The blonde haired guy whose hazel eyes bore into mine, looking directly into my soul. That was the way he was always able to read me like a book, yet now he looked clueless. Astonished, maybe.

I scoffed and turned back around, facing the lights of Seoul at night once again.

“Go away,”

This time, his presence was the only one that could make me mad.

“What’s wrong?” He asked in a concerned voice.

I looked up at the sky and shook my head.

“Nothing,” I tried to sound determined, but I could hear my own voice break.

“___, you’re crying, you’re obviously not okay,”

I shrugged. “Okay, fine, you got me,” I said harshly. “I’m not okay. Will you leave me alone now?”

He didn’t listen to me and instead went to stand next to me. Not to look at the night sky, but at me.

“Not when you’re in this state,”

I narrowed my eyes, still avoiding his gaze. “Well it’s not going to get any better with you around,”

He frowned. “What do you-”

“O please!” I shouted and turned my head towards him. “Isn’t there someone else who wants your attention? Who does want you in his presence? Who you like to hang out with so much that you don’t even show up on time for a surprise party?” I was angry at him and every second I was in his presence I felt this anger grow.

“Are you talking about Dara?” He asked confused.

I rolled my eyes. “Great job, Sherlock, you figured it out,” I said as I poked his chest, as I did I lost my balance a bit and stumbled to the side. “She’s the one who is so much more important than anything in the world, isn’t she?”

“___, you’re drunk. I’m not going to talk about Dara when you’re in this state,”

I shook my head. “She’s very pretty and thin, I’m the complete opposite of her,” I took a step towards Ji Yong, stumbling as I did so. “Is that why you date her? To make me aware of all my flaws!”

“___, I’m serious. You can’t think straight right now, drink some water and go to bed-”

I made a fist out of my hand. “Don’t tell me what to do!”

 

No.

No, no, no.

Did these bruises come from a clash between my fist and Jiyong’s jaw?

I vigorously shook my head. This couldn’t be true. I wasn’t the violent type. I wasn’t the type that went mad quickly. I never before let a situation get out of hand – I couldn’t have hit him.

But it wasn’t just me last night, no, I had a partner in crime: alcohol, and that partner always turned me into the worst of myself.

I took a deep breath and as I breathed out I felt my head spin.

I was still not remotely close to sober yet, but I had to call him. Apologise for my stupendous actions of the night before.

He picked up the phone on the third ring.

“Hello?” Ji Yong’s voice rang through the phone and into my eardrums.

“Ji Yong, It’s ___,” I said and took a small breather before continuing. “I’m so sorry for what I have done last night. I was drunk and my thoughts were a complete mess, I shouldn’t have taken it all out on you,” I paused a few moments for him to say anything, but he remained silent so I decided to continue my apology. “I guess I just found it awkward to see you with another girl and that I- I-” I sighed. “I guess I may have been a bit jealous of her. The moment I left Korea last fall I hadn’t expected to see you again and so I never really took the time to really-” I bit my lip and closed my eyes shut. “To really get over you. So the moment I saw you here again, I asked you to leave the past behind, but it turns out I was the one who was unable to do so,”

It was silent, once more.

I don’t know what kind of response I was waiting for: maybe to hear him say that he understood and forgave me, maybe that this didn’t change things and we could still be friends or maybe I had hoped that he also felt this way.

But even a rejection, of any kind, had been better than this deathly silence.

“So that’s why I acted the way I did, but I know that’s no excuse for hitting you,”

“Hitting me? You didn’t hit me,”

My eyes  opened wide. I didn’t? So something else had happened? Maybe I fell when I walked back inside in my drunken state and broke my fall by bruising my hand or maybe I walked into a door, both not that odd when you were as drunk as I was last night.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. If that was the case, then I had just told him my feelings for an apology of me being drunk – only to be completely ignored. I sighed. I felt embarrassed, to say the least.

“You tried tough, but TOP jumped in between.” I froze and listened to his voice with wide opened eyes. “You hit TOP, not me,”

 

So, I kind of abandoned this story haven't I? I'm really sorry lovely subscribers, I just couldn't find any inspiration to even put a single word on paper. But with the music of the beautiful movie 'Les Miserables' I was able to get my inspiration back! It did take me a long time though. Some of you may have noticed I did start another story to get past my writers block here (It's called 'Clandestine'), but instead of writing a few chapters the story is already almost finished and still my writers block for 'One Call Away' remained. So I apologize for that.

Thanks to all of you who are still subscribed to this after all those months of silence! I really love you all for that! <3