Courage or stupidity?

Promise to still love me... even with my dark side

“APPA!!” “HOW'S HIS MAJESTY HOLDING UP!!?” A tall, muscular man threw open the heavy teak door of a silent chamber and charged in. Servants surrounding him would bow their heads low and make way automatically, fearful of the darkened expression plastered on his taut face. With tightened jaws and clutching onto the edge of his purple hood, the darkly handsome man press forth, not weighted down by his thick armour and heavy sword.

Inside the dimly lit room lay a withering figure. A dying man on his thick golden bed linen, at a corner of the spacious room. “Your highness... you made it. That's great... His majesty is waiting for you.” A sniffling advisor, old and retiring, approached the young man as he advances, not afraid of him despite his fierce facade.

“Thank you.” The man dropped the sword slung around his waist and gave the old man a quick nod. “Appa. I'm back.” The man then knelt down stealthily and held the dying man's dry and jaundiced palms, pressing one to his forehead, while caressing the other gently.

“Consider your dying wish fulfilled. My men are ready. We leave today.” The young man said with a hoarse voice and allowed tear drops to roll down his cheek. Just a few drops though. He will not be seen crying his heart out.

“Your highness... so soon?” The old advisor whispered while crouching next to them. The prince nodded once. “Your majesty! I will not fail!” The prince finally proclaimed through clenched teeth, after witnessing his father take his last breath.

One would think that the dying man would be satisfied and finally resting in peace after hearing that his son will continue his legacy, but he wasn't. “Your highness... Forgive me for saying this now.” The old advisor finally stood up with much difficulty. The prince's face never left his father's still chest as he grieves silently.

“His majesty has some last words for you here... on the final decree.” The old man started quietly, taking note that the prince is still in pain from the lost of his beloved father. However, he was given instructions to annunciate the decree to the prince the moment he returns, in place of the king. The old advisor has no other options.

“My son. I hereby anoint you as king of the south, east, west and central plain. I bequeath to you, everything I own. My legacy will not be continued at the cost of your happiness.” The old man sighed and cast a quick glance at the prince, before rolling up the single piece of clothe. He knows the deceased king has a message for the prince, but he also knows that the message will not transcend the grave.

“I leave when the second chime sounds.” “My father will have the most elaborate funeral.” The prince finally got up and retied his sword to his girdle.

“Yes... your majesty.” The old man resigned to fate and returned to doing what is needed most of him. The king's funeral. Which he knows that prince will not be attending.

The prince is too obstinate. He is more than willing to sacrifice everything so that his father's innermost desire can be fulfilled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POV from Yoochun

There is no point brooding over appa's demise now... when I have more pressing matters to attend to. Appa was sick for more than a year, so I am more or less prepared for his passing.

My battle cries have reached the north. They know I am coming, so I will not keep them waiting. You can call me bullheaded... or even unfilial, but I know what I am doing. Appa never said upfront... but I know. He would suspire whenever he sees the unmarked territory. I can sense his regret.

I am not unhappy... and I hope he will understand... If he is watching over me. I am not defying his orders. On the contrary, I am glad to be able to do something for him.

Everything is handed down to me on a golden platter... so it is only reasonable that I do something by myself once in a while. I have been wielding a sword since even before I can write. NO ONE has ever beaten me in swords and spear fights, since I passed puberty.

I am just thankful that appa have already made all the court arrangement for me in advance. I promise not to neglect my own responsibilities after this final battle. I will return victorious. I will continue appa's legacy and rule well.

It is also a relief to hear that my most faithful friend will be joining me on this part of my journey. Yunho. He might not be much of a fighter... since he advocates peace... but he IS a very good strategist. The battle plans are made by me. The lands will be acquired by me. My appa's land will prosper under him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“PARK YOOCHUN! WAIT UP!!” A tall handsome man raced up to the prince as he prepares to gallop off on his steed. “YOOCHUN AH!!”

“What is it?!” The man on the horse asked brusquely while turning his horse's still hooves into a slow canter. “I don't have all day, Jung Yunho sshi.”

“Aigoo! It's your appa's funeral for god's sake!! How can you just...” The man is interrupted by sand spilling into his mouth as his friend, the prince, gallops off.

“YAAHHH!!!”

“DID YOUR APPA SEND YOU?! YOU BOTH GO BACK TO BED!! I WILL BE BACK BEFORE YOU GUYS WAKE!!” The stubborn conqueror shouted back with a slight grin and disappeared into the distance.

“YAAHHH!! THAT'S NOT FUNNY!! YOU EXPECT ME TO SLEEP WHEN THE SUN IS STILL SO HIGH UP?!” “TSK!!” The man's handsome face turned from flushed to serene in a split second.

“Stupid kid! Can't you at least give your friend a few more seconds to convey his well wishes?” The man muttered to himself and crossed his hands, before marching back to announce the new king's departure to battle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile... in the north.

“Get the prince!” A loud whisper resounded in the silent corridor. “Hurry!!” A group of palace maids scurried ahead as quietly as they could, with the queen following close behind.

“Son. Open up. It's your umma.” The queen said as calmly as she could and pressed herself onto the wooden surface of the door, urging it to open up soon. “Son. Hurry!”

“Umma? What's wrong?” A beautiful face appears the moment the thick doors creak apart. A graceful person then emerges and stares at the group of palace maids with a puzzled expression.

“Get back in! And put this on!” The woman shoved her son back into his room and grabbed the bundle from the palace maids' hands. “HURRY! Your appa is waiting!”

“Umma! What are you doing?! Hyung is leaving for battle! I promised to help him get ready!” The young prince resisted as the woman attacks him and strips him down to his inner wear. Twirling him round and round roughly as she slips the overly long dress onto his small frame.

“Umma! I”

“SHUT UP AND DO AS I SAY!” The woman finally raises her voice and pulls his soft lengthy brown hair up into a single plain braid. Within a few moment and working of deft hands, the boy is transformed into a pretty young maiden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POV from the queen

My Junsu will do just fine disguised as a lady. I initially intended for him to dress up as a palace maid... but from the looks of it, a merchant's daughter will do too. He looks too refined to be a maid... So troublesome!!

You wonder why I am acting so furtively and impatiently?

Disaster is about to befall us!! And by disaster, I mean total mayhem!! There is an army of hundreds of thousands marching towards my husband's kingdom as we speak! The SOUTH, the EAST, the WEST... and the CENTRAL. ALL of them. We are doomed!!

There is really no use fighting!! I managed to convince that stubborn old man of mine that there really isn't anything we can do besides running. His bastard son wants to go down fighting for some stupid honour. I will tell it to his face! He is being DELUSIONAL!! No... Should I just call him a lunatic?

He is NOT dragging my baby into this!! I have always wondered why this stupid son of mine looks up to that brazen fella so much! Following him will only mean certain death!! My boy is too young to understand all this.

Anyhow! If we don't run now, and hitch a boat ride to the neighbouring country, we are all dead meat! I have heard stories about that monster's doings!

He would kill on sight... any man that resists... or any man for that matter! He is truly a barbarian. Only god and the people he killed would know how much his sword weighs! One single motion and you will probably see a few heads roll at the same time.

I will be damned! He did not even ask if we would like to surrender... not like my husband ever would... but he shouldn't be so... SO GREEDY!! ARGGHH!

At least if my Junsu is dressed like a agassi, he will not bring his sword down on him on sight... right? What if the monster decides to lay his dirty paws all over my baby?! Oh my god... God have mercy on us.

I think a layer of soot from the burners will help disguise that baby face!! Thank the gods for soot!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The north, where Junsu and his family lives, where Junsu's father is the ruler, where Junsu's hyung, Junho, is the general, is under siege.

Junsu's father, the king, was initially all about putting up a brave front and training his army, but at the current moment, every northerner knows that they are screwed. The north have always been the last stop for conquerors, and they have remained an independent commodity for centuries because of their strategic location on higher lands. However, they will not stand a chance against such sheer forces.

Yoochun's father, the late king, had the exact idea of using the united power of the four kingdoms against one. Yoochun also has his own ideas as to how he wants to fight uphill. Every man of that era knows that Yoochun, is a monster. Rumours have it that his wounds will heal immediately. Rumours will however, always be rumours.

Junho, the illegitimate son of Junsu's father, is the only one brave and stubborn enough to want to fight to the death. Junsu's father isn't keen, and neither is half of their army.

Most of the people are already prepared to either, leave their heads behind, become slaves to the ultimate ruler, or run as fast as their feet can carry them. They seem to favour the third option.

Junsu on the other hand, has no idea how somber the whole situation is. He does not understand why everyone around him is so uptight. Being his brother's voluntary errand boy, the young prince was fed tons of misleading information by Junho's overly optimistic troops.

Junsu have always respected Junho with his heart and soul, and he truly believes that his brother will succeed, as long as the man puts his heart to doing it.

TBC

Please do comment and subscribe! *bows*