Chapter 22

Your Perfect Enemy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the last week of January and me and Kris had become more attached to each other; we spent most of our time together and I was often at his house, it was practically my new home.

It was just like any other Saturday and I had decided to surprise Kris with coming to his house and making us ramyun since it was becoming our favorite food.

I had just put the packet in the boiling water and was stirring it happily when I heard the door open.

“That er,” I heard Kris mumbling and I felt myself frown.

“Babe?” I asked, going out into the hallway to meet him.

Kris was just sliding off his shoes before he looked up at me, shocked.

“Oh Sun Hi—you’re here.”

I nodded, biting my lip. He looked upset as he took off his jacket to put it away. He quickly kissed my cheek before going to his room to take a shower.

I hesitantly went back to the food and dished it out half of it into a bowl while pulling out a bowl for Kris before sitting down; tucking my knees into my chest, wondering what could have made Kris so angry.

By the time Kris came out I was almost finished besides the last few noodles, which I was stirring slowly for my own amusement.

I looked up at the sound of his footsteps, he didn’t look quite as wore and angry as early, but it was obvious he was hiding something. He took the bowl I had set out and poured himself the rest of our food before sitting down across from me.

I watched him silently, waiting for him to say something.

“How was your day?” he finally asked, after eating a bit.

“It was fine,” I shrugged, “How was work?”

“Stressful,” he said, avoiding my eyes.

“If you let me come to work more it might not be as stressful,” I sighed, crossing my arms, giving him a look. He had recently cut my hours due to Sehun and I, we were constantly socializing, making him suspicious.

“You know I like it better when you are home, and not attracting all the boys attention at work,” he smirked slightly, as he looked back up at me.

I narrowed my eyes, “I do not attract that much attention. Having friends isn’t a sin.”

“Sehun probably likes you.”

“He does not. He has a girlfriend Kris.”

“My bad,” he said, not really caring.

“So are you going to let me come back to work?”

“No.”

“Well why not?” I demanded angrily.

“I like the food when I come home every day and it’s a plus to see your cute face after a long day at work.”

“If you let me come to work then you’d be able to see my face all the time,” I retorted.

“But then I don’t get food.”

“You baby,” I said rolling my eyes, watching him continue to eat, “Why was it stressful anyways?”

His hand froze in midair, before he withdrew, placing it back in his lap. He swallowed what was in his mouth before speaking.

“My dad visited.”

“What? How did he know where you were?”

He only shrugged, going back to his food, acting as if he didn’t care. I could see the way it was affecting him though, his hands looked a little shaky, and he kept avoiding my eyes.

I didn’t know what to say. I stood and took our bowls to the sink, rinsing them out before turning back to the unmoving Kris. He was staring at the table like if he watched it enough it would move.

I sighed before walking over to him. I knelt down in front of him, taking his hands in mine. He moved his eyes to my face and I could see all the emotions swimming in his eyes.

“What did he say?” I asked quietly, moving one my hands to his face, his cheek slowly with my thumb. He closed his eyes at my touch before taking a deep breath.

“He asked how I had been, what I had been up to. He said he wanted to fix all of his mistakes, he said the first thing he wanted was for us to go to dinner and talk. I asked him to leave after that, but he wouldn’t. He kept insisting. Then he asked about Chen and his family, if he had found a nice girl—”

He stopped, opening his eyes to look at me. I broke eye contact for a split second before nodding at him to continue.

“I told him Chen was in Europe and he and his girlfriend had recently broken up. Then he went on for a moment, talking about how Chen was such a nice guy and how the girl must have been a real —I think he was trying to appeal to me in that way. But that’s when I told him you were my girlfriend.”

My eyes were on the floor at this point.

A was I?

“What did you say about dinner?”

“He said that he wants to meet me at some address he wrote down for me tonight. He told me to bring you, but I wasn’t planning on going in the first place.”

“I think we should go.”

“What why?”

“He is your dad.”

“Why on earth would I want to talk to that !? Chen even told you the kind of person he was! Where in your mind does going to dinner with him make sense? He even insulted you!” Kris exclaimed, standing up, outraged.

I also stood up, grabbing Kris’s hands as I did so.

“I don’t want to go to eat dinner with him because he’s your dad. I want to go eat dinner with him to show him how much of a screw up he is. See how he’s missing out on your life and how it’s his entire fault.”

I watched Kris’s angry face vanish, and be replaced with a smile. He wrapped me in his arms.

“This is why I love you,” he mumbled before he kissed forehead. I let the words wash over me, and I felt content as we swayed there on the spot for a moment.

“I say we should get all pretty and dressed up to show this guy up,” I laughed, winking at him as I drew away, to finish washing up the bowls.

“How about I go get us some y clothes then?” he chuckled, watching me dry the now clean dishes.

“If you want,” I said, motioning to the door.

“I’ll make sure to get you the iest looking dress I can find—”

 “Don’t forget to get yourself some nice clothes as well,” I laughed, rolling my eyes. He bit his lip, his eyes traveling over my body one last time before he headed to the door leaving.

-------------

It was around five when we left the house. Kris had bought me a short, strapless, black dress. Its sides even had slight slits in them; showing on a little too much skin for my liking. I found myself constantly pulling it down. He had really over done himself.

“I feel like such a ,” I mumbled distractedly as I pulled dress in certain ways trying to make it show less skin.

“Well you look really hot,” Kris grinned, glancing at me as we drove to the address his dad had given us.

I rolled my eyes over to Kris who was still smiling.

“Where’s your ty outfit, hm?” I asked, pulling on his jacket’s sleeve, straightening it out. He looked really good in his outfit for dinner. He was swearing a nice black suit and he had let me style his hair, to my joy, and it looked—perfect.

“Oh I’m saving it for later,” he smirked in a erted way, barely glancing over at me.

I just narrowed my eyes before looking back at the road.

After a few minutes Kris turned into a crowded parking lot in front of a fancy looking resturaunt. There were hardly any spots; and I found myself wondering how expensive it was, and how rich Kris’s dad actually was. I was thankful we looked nice for such a snobbish looking place.

“Well this is it,” Kris said finally finding a spot.  I looked out at the rainy and window weather and then back at Kris.

“It looks cold outside.”

“But it will be warm inside.”

“That’s not the point! It’s going to be cold when we get out. Plus your legs are covered and so are your shoulders PLUS you don’t have random slits in the side of your outfit.”

“But then we’ll get inside and it will be warm,” he said, a fake smile on as he gave me thumbs up. I just glared at him.

“I hate you,” I mumbled unhappily as he opened the door. A gust of wind blew into the car, and I could practically feel the cold crawling through my dress. Sighing I opened the door as well, accepting the cold.

I immediately wrapped my arms around myself after closing the door, silently cursing Kris for buying such a ridiculous dress.

I hurried over to Kris who quickly put a jacket over my arms.

“I thought you didn’t bring another jacket,” I murmured, happily pulling the jacket on further.

“I knew you were going to freeze, and I’m not that irresponsible of a boyfriend,” he chuckled, pulling me to the sidewalk before a car past us.

“It looks really nice,” I said as we walked up the steps and Kris held the door open for me. I stepped inside to be greeted with a huge crowd of people, all talking amongst themselves. Kris quickly closed the door behind us, before taking my hand and pulling me through the crowd of people.

That’s when we heard his voice.

“Kris! Kris!” someone was calling, a man, as he came pushing through the crowd.

“Is that him?” I asked quietly in Kris’s ear. He nodded automatically, watching his father struggle to the front of the crowd of people.

He was dressed nice; he looked well groomed, which was a shock to me since I never had imagined him wealthy. I could almost see the desperation in his eyes as he made his way towards us.

“You came!” he exclaimed, obviously surprised but overjoyed at the same time. Kris only nodded stiffly, obviously eyeing him in disapproval.

“This must be your girlfriend?” he asked as his attention fell on to me. I nodded, dipping my head in a swift bow.

“This is Sun Hi,” Kris said, his voice low and dark sounding. I bit my lip nervously; I’d never heard Kris talk quite like that—he was scary when angry.

“Sun Hi! It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he said smiling a little too happily for my liking. This was the that had made Kris’s childhood hell?

I forced a small smile.

“Let’s go to the table,” he said turning, beckoning us to follow him. I glanced worriedly at Kris, who was staring at the floor before meeting my eyes. He gave a half smile, before moving forward, pulling me with him.

As we got to the table we saw that his dad had picked a table with only three chairs. He had sat in the one that required someone to sit next to him and I had left the single seat by itself.

I looked at Kris and he just directed me towards the seat by itself before taking the one next to—him.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to tell him with my eyes that I could take that seat, but he just avoided looking at me.

Finally giving up I turned my attention to the man in front of me, wondering how this dinner was going to go. I started to take the jacket off as he began to speak.

“So Sun Hi, I hear you dated Chen?”  Mr. Wu asked. I felt my heart drop immediately. Kris’s eyes immediately flashed up to look at mine and I felt myself blink a few times before quickly recovering.

“Yeah, I did,” I said, smiling slightly when I really felt like reaching across the table and tightening that tie to the point of making that horrible man go purple.

“And now you’re dating Kris?”

“That is correct.”

“My Kris was always the better man, eh?” he laughed, patting Kris shoulder. I felt daggers pierce through the protective barrier I had recently built around my heart. I gulped slightly, taking a sip of water.

 Kris’s jaw tightened and he avoided both of our gazes, probably barely holding back his rage.

“How long were you and Chen dating?”

I quickly put my water down, not expecting him to meddle any further.

“Almost two years,” I replied. That’s when it hit me. Two years and then Chen breaks up with me over a phone call. And I’ve been much happier since dating Kris. Were those two years wasted?

I suddenly stood up.

“I—I need to go to the bathroom,” I mumbl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter