everything is beautiful in it’s own way.

The Red Knot.

“Umma, I’m going out for food tonight!” I yell down the hallway. For the past week or so, YongGuk has been walking me home. He says it’s just far enough out-of-the-way to get to Zelo’s middle school on time, but I kinda don’t buy it. Maybe if he said he ran to Zelo’s middle school from my house, but I doubt it. He needs all the energy he can get to keep up with that kid.

“Will you bring me something home then?” she calls out.

If I say no, she’ll ask why. When I tell her it’s a date, then she’s gonna freak out...faint and then tell me about how long she’s been waiting for this day. “Umma, I might be a while!”

“That’s fine, I’m not that hungry right now.”

I slap my forehead with the palm of my hand. “Yea.., I’ll bring you something good.”

Maybe I should tell her, but to be honest...I don’t want the pressure. “What are you waiting for? You’re soul mate?” is the usual question. And yes, I am. I want to share everything with him. Is that so wrong? I’ve got this gift and I really can’t share it with anyone so why not use it personally?

“Li Nami, you still look sixteen...” I mutter to the mirror. I turn to see myself from other angles but sigh. I can only do so much. “Maybe you should give Zelo a chance?” I stick my tongue out. “Nah.”

I slip my shoes on at the doorway and sneak out the door.

“Nami-shi?!”

I turn around. “Himchan-shi! I...I was....”

“I thought I was picking you up. I’m not late am I?” He looks down at his watch and flicks it a few times.

"N-no, I just knew you were coming, that’s all. Why not get a head start?” I start walking and point for him to follow. “Kaja!”



“I’m going to be honest, so you need to be too.”

I look at Himchan and blink. “Honest about what?”

“I don’t know if I like sushi that much.”

“We can eat somewhere else. There’s a really awesome ramen shop nearby.” I look up and down the streets and point towards a wooden looking shop.

“Sounds good...So why were you lying earlier?”

“Lying? About what?”

He looks down shyly. “Well, more like hiding. Why wouldn’t you let me into your house? I’m sure your parents want to know where you were going.”

Do I really have to tell?

He glances at me with his sharp features.

“Aish, it’s my umma. I didn’t want her to freak out about me going on a date.”

His eyes widen. “Your umma doesn’t want you to date? You’re not engaged are you?!”

I chuckle at him. “No, it’s not that at all. She would freak out...with embarrassing joy.”

“Oh, why is that.”

I nibble on my lip. “This is kinda my first date.”

“AREYOUSERIOUS?!”

“Hush!” I warn. “Don’t make fun of me.”

He covers his mouth. “No, I’m really surprised. You seem to be so natural at this and plus you’re extremely pretty.”

I brush the complement to the side. “Guess I’m just a late bloomer.”

“So you’ve never been kissed either?”

My cheeks grow hot. “The shop is right down there. See the blue sign?”

“Oh, there?!” he jumps high above the crowd and draws a bit of attention. “Blue sign, wooden door?” I nod. “Kaja,” he smiles taking my hand. He pulls me along the street until we’re almost running.

“Himchan-shi! What are you-”

“Oh stop with the formalities, call me Oppa.”

I stop in front of the neighboring shop. “Oppa?” The word feels so foreign to me.

“Yeah, you’re what, seventeen*? I’m twenty-two.”

    *Western years. I don’t want to use the Korean age system because it confuses everyone :/ even me sometimes

“No.” I clench my jaw. “I turn twenty this fall.”

“Seriously? You look so much younger than that.” He grins. “But that’s totally a good thing.” I open my mouth to speak but he cuts me off. “Smells delicious. Let’s go!” He holds the door for me and we step inside.

It’s not exactly a huge place but we have to wait to be seated. The hostess/waitress comes to us and I remember her. “Just us two, please.” I say in Japanese and she nods taking us to a smaller table.

“Whoa...you actually speak Japanese?” Himchan awes.

“Yea, I do. A little.”

I order him the best ramen on the menu which happens to be the same as mine. “If you don’t like this, you won’t like Japan,” I joke mixing the spices.

“Wait, have you been there?”

“Yeh, my family and I go about once every two years.”

He sits up strait and leans across his bowl. “Nami-shi, are you Japanese?”

I hold up my pointer and thumb finger. “Only about this much.”

“Wah- daebak. It makes sense now....” I can’t help but wonder if he is acting or if he really just didn’t know. Either way, he sure is adorable. “I love the way the language sounds.”

I sit up straight. “Really? It’s so crisp and structured sounding. I like Korean better.”

“I never really thought of it like that. Korean is less aspirated, so it sounds a bit messy.”

“I would say harmonious,” I smile.

He looks at me with a crooked grin. “You have the sunny side of everything?”

“You have to look at what you are given and be thankful. Everything is beautiful in it’s own way, sometimes you just need to look at it with another’s eyes.” My eyes meet him and I feel a wave of indefinable emotions drag me under the table. “I mean...maybe I do....”

He leans across the table and rests his chin onto his folded hands. “Nami-shi, you are incredible.”

The air becomes uncomfortably awkward for me. What do I say to that? And what do I do about this crazy blush? “I need to get something for my umma before I go home.”

He bursts into laughter. “Alright, we can leave now if you’re done.” He pays the check and then leaves with me closely behind him.

“What did you want to get her?” He asks beginning to walk beside me.

“Um, anything really. She loves street food.”

We pass a vendor and he stops and starts ordering random items. “All to go please.” He pulls out a bill and I try to intercept the exchange. “Nami-shi, don’t worry. It’s a ‘sorry-I-didn't-meet-you’ gift.”

He pays and I take the box of food. “You didn’t have to do that,” I say lowly.

“A simply thank you will do.”

I pout and swat at him. “Thank you. Chungmar-chungmar thank you.”

“Nami-shi, this is a date. Don’t worry about it.” He walks me all the way to my apartment door. “I guess this is the end though.”

“Thank you, I had fun.”

“It really wasn’t that much of a date.”

I scrunch my face. “It was still the best I’ve had.”

He laughs at me and leans closer until he is standing over top of me. “Would it be okay to give you your first kiss now?”

My face gets hot, fast. Kiss, now? What do I do? Surely I close my eyes, but what about my hands. My nose. Amaterasu*! What do I do?

     *Shinto (native Japanese religion) goddess of gods

There is a loud noise from inside that distracts us for a moment.

“What was that?” HimChan mutters and I shrug my shoulders. It’s my umma moving the furniture again...I’m sure of it. “Should we check on that?” He asks and I widen my eyes.

“No...its fine.” I smile and try to bow, signaling his leave. If Umma comes out here and sees him, I’ll never hear the end.

“But it could be....”

I push him away. “No...it really is fine!” He gives me a confused expression. “I’ll message you later. Don’t worry about it!” I wave until he’s down the steps and disappears from my sight. That was too close.

A/N: Call me old-fashioned, but I still think that only knowing someone for a week and then kissing them is a bit fast. Maybe later *evil laugh*

Also, (ノ>▽<。)ノthe comments I'm getting for this is really encouraging! Thanks everyone!! Kamsaminda! Arigato! XieXie~! you all are so sweet *hugs*

Meng