Ice Princess

The Red Knot.

“Nami-chan, I need to go back and finalize a few things...the re-opening Wednesday.” Yumi sets a cup of tea on the counter top and continues. “Yukiko-chan has Oka-san’s number and mine. Don’t hesitate to call,” she smiles.

My eyes linger at . Her smile is from happiness, but not bliss. It’s not the same smile from before. “Okay. Have fun.”

She winks at me and then grabs her purse. “Arigato Yukiko-chan! Treat Nami-chan well!”

The door shuts and I take the cup of tea in my hands. This doesn’t sit well in my stomach.
trans.gif
“Yukiko~” I sing leaning over the counter top.

“Unnnn~” she hums back.

“Unni said you needed to talk to me. What was it about?”

I hear her feet slid across the floor as she takes a seat across from me. “So, long time no see,” I smile.

Her eyes light up and the pain I feel for her subsides. It’s just the same girl I used to make snowmen with. “Neh-chan doesn’t know, does she?”

I pause. What an odd way to start a conversation. I mean, I haven’t seen her in about three years and she’s asking me about Yumi? “Know what?”

She sighs softly. “You and I are the same. Your Obaa-san* and mine were talking about it.”

**this means grandmother. Nami and Yumi call their grandmother “Oka-san” which really means “mother” I think (can’t speak for everyone) this is pretty common in multicultural families.


“Un, we’re the same age.” But she already knew this. Our grandmothers are sisters, twins...but fraternal.

“Not that.” She wets with her tongue. “You remember me when I was little right?”

I nod. “Quiet Yukiko...daughter of the snow*.”

**it’s a pun. “Yuki” means snow and adding “ko” is like adding “child of...” to the name. Let me know if I am mistaken, but my friend who is mixed-Japanese has told me this.


“You mean ‘ice-princess.’”

I bite my cheek. “I wouldn’t go that far.”

“But it’s true. I didn’t play much with you growing up, or with anyone for that matter. I didn’t talk much either.” She collapses her arms against the counter. “I’m really sorry for that.”

I shake my head. “What’s bothering you?”

“Nami-chan, you see them right? The strings?”

My heart stops. I’ve never been called out for it until now and it’s been twice in the past three days. “Why do you-”

“My Obaa-san told me.” She pushes the right section of her hair behind her ear. “I wish I had known growing up. I think we would have been a lot closer.”

“Yukiko-chan...you see them too?”

“Hai.” Something seems really wrong. “I really wanted to talk to someone like me, but I don’t think I’m up to it anymore. Maybe later?”

I try to mutter a yes, but I can’t.

“Ah...I’m a bit sleepy. Yumi-neh told me that you’re welcome to sleep in her room. Please wake me if you need anything.”

And just like that, she leaves. Now sitting in my sister’s home, finding out that my cousin has the same gift as me, knowing that I’ve found my soulmate...I still feel more alone than I ever have.



“Yah! you said you would Skype me as soon as you landed!” GeeNa yells over the webcam.

“Aish, calm down please. I forgot. Sorry.” She pouts and stares at me through the screen. “So how was your movie?”

Her weight shifts and I notice a slight anxiety in her movements. “Nami?”

“Yeh?”

“What do you think about TaeHoon-ah?”

I scrunch my nose. “The boy is so overbearing. He’s got a bad temper and is quick to do something stupid.” I stop. Oh jeeze...you serious? She’s not....“He’s not all that bad...what do you think of him?”

She jumps and fidgets with her fingers. “Ah- I think the same.”

I chuckle. “You mean you think he’s awful or not that bad?”

“Ani!” She covers the camera with her hands. “It’s nothing, I was just wondering. That’s all,” her voice carries over the speakers.

I hear the chat alert and open it on the side. “Looks like YongGuk saved you...” I laugh peering at his messages.

“Oh~ how’s that?”

“Ask too many questions and I might cut this short,” I threaten pointing at the screen.

BYG: you still up?
LNM: I am...talking to GeeNa now. I think she’s starting to see TaeHoon in a new light.
BYG: that’s good :)

“Nami-yah, how’s Japan?”

“It’s really nice. I haven’t seen much because I just got here. I can’t really sleep, but I’m so tired.”

“That’s no good.”

“Tell me about it,” I sigh.

BYG: You think she’s given up in HimChan?
LNM: I wouldn’t ask. I’m sure it’s a sore spot.
BYG: Yeah, guess it is. ..Have you slept yet?

“Ani, I just said that,” I mutter forgetting he can’t hear my conversation with Geena.

“Nami...Nami-yah....did you hear me?”

I look back to Geena on the screen. “Uh....Dae?”

“You seem really busy,” she scoffs pretending to be flustered. “I’ll leave first.”

“Aish, you just don’t want to talk about TaeHoon anymore.”

Her cheeks turn pink and she ends the call.

“Aish!” I mumble looking back to my chat with YongGuk.

LNM: LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!
BYG: ...? ..sorry?
LNM: You should be! I was going to get all the dirt on TaeHoon from GeeNa but you distracted me TT__________TT
BYG: chincha?! I’m sorry :< ...wait...what did I do exactly?
LNM: ...Never mind. How are you?
BYG: good, I feel about the same as when you left.
LNM: *punches*
BYG: ANI! I was joking! I miss you~
LNM: Miss you and your stupid face.
BYG: D: it’s not stupid.
LNM: I rather like it.
BYG: then why is it stupid?
LNM: lol, I dunno...it’s an expression.
BYG: oh, well I miss you and your beautiful face ;)
LNM: That’s not how it goes.
BYG: I know, but I wanted to add my own twist.

I lean back and gaze at the screen with a stupid grin. For whatever reason, I decide to grab a small bit of my thread and tug on it.

BYG: was that you?
LNM: What do you mean?
BYG: my pinky...it was tugged.
LNM: Oh ~that. It was me.
BYG: why you..... kekeke I miss you much. can’t wait till you come home. tomorrow right?
LNM: Haha, very funny.
BYG: I’m fading. I think I’m going into a withdraw from a lack of your kisses.
LNM: can that happen?
BYG: it is ._______.
LNM: I have to go to bed...or at least make an attempt sleep. Can I try something?
BYG: what is it?
LNM: Hold your pinky to your mouth. You holding it?
BYG: yeah.............
LNM: chu~

I kiss my pinky and tug on the thread.

BYG: chu~

A/N: asdfghjkl;

; - ; I'm back. and I'm sorry. That hiatus was totally unplanned. I had to stop getting on because of work, school and sleep. T~T I'm so far behind on the story I'm reading too. Because she added like 34723453462345678 chapters! D: You're name fits you so~ writingcrazed.

This chapter isn't really much, and what stinks the most is that I can't give you a clear image of Yukiko until later. Just don't start to dislike her. Please? If I could write myself into a character....it woudn't exactly be her. lol BUT her and Nami are very similar in additude and morals. :) Promise~

...They just went about things differently.

writingcrazed: lol...same. haha...same >____<

toowhiteforkpop: thank you for liking Yukiko >

pyjamagirl: *brings out Zelo* we shall fan you more XD hope you still like the new characters when everyone goes back and forth between Japanese ><

icecubeeater: about Weekly Idol... D: I was like wae?! Where's that leader swag?!...?

ieatrice: yeah...another one >< I do this to myself.

Eunhwa86: It's such a late update, but good luck on all of your other exams too! --SAME FOR THE REST OF YOU! *makes Bang, Chan and Zelo wish you well*--

toowhiteforkpop: (I have two replies to you...you commented twice? OTL I'm so late with this update) I have exams everyweek OTL ...thank you so much!  ;~;