Chapter 16

Later

He, Chun Wu was at home, browsing magazines and photo albums from the past. Indeed, he didn’t even try forgetting about their past relationship; his past relationship with Ella. He shuffled his seat from time to time, changed positions and scratched the back of his head just to be able to feel even more comfortable. He turned to a page, turned to a page from the photo album that contained their sweetest memory.

He smiled at the thought. Smiled at the thought of seeing how happy they were from the past. It was winter then, when she, Ella decided to spend Christmas at the orphanage. To spend Christmas at the orphanage to be able to take part and contribute to the children who were either abandoned by their parents or were really just orphans already. After all, she always wanted to help the society, the charity and whatever you may want to call it.

In the picture, he and she were at the very center. The background consumed of little kids, each one of them with their own presents in hand. Behind them were three kids; three kids indeed to be able to symbolize their wanted count of kids then. It came unto his mind the thought if ever she’d still want that. If she’d still be able to accept him and have the kids they wanted.

She was very thoughtful, indeed. At least, that’s what he’s taken note off ever since. Even the littlest matter, atoms and microorganisms, she would be able to take note of it and be able to find a resolution for every problem just because she cares.

With that, after all those reminiscence of the certain picture, he continuously flipped pages and remembered every memory in those.

The only problem I could ever think of now towards their relationship is his parent’s rejection towards Ella. Most especially since Charlene’s wake just had happened, it’d be even harder for him in doing so—to attain their broken trust and be able to move on with Ella.

!@#$%^&*

“It never seemed much of a big deal, do you still need to know?” Selina was starting to fidget back and forth, rolling the wheels of her wheelchair beside, past and around Ella. She was very uneasy and Ella didn’t know why.

“If that’s the case…” Ella paused and thought of a better topic to talk about, “Let’s just get away with it. Sooner or later, I know you’d be able to tell me.”

“Thanks,” Selina nodded in agreement, a small smile forming on her face. A few minutes later, Anthony just got back from the kitchen. “But I don’t know if ever I’ll tell you,” She looked to his left and smiled at who just entered the living room.

He noticed that the two were indeed getting along once again, so he didn’t need to worry about his further step. His further step to propose yet again to Selina and this time, there indeed is no way he or she could back out. Whatever happens, he would go with the flow. If he fails his plan, he doesn’t have backup, so everything’s supposed to rightly take place, one at a time.

!@#$%^&*

After all those bonding times taking toll of her precious time, she decided to go home. After all, every meetings deserves an ending—a farewell to end it the best way.

Ella was smiling to herself, laughing off how easily she got along with Selina once again. She never felt so free before—voicing out her thoughts and opinions, in a way. Then, Wu Chun came unto her mind and haunted her thoughts. Making her wonder where and what he is doing as of the moment.

Before she left, she got her number, not wanting him to be the one to know hers first. She specially got it as a means that she’d want to see him once again and maybe get back to what they used to before.

She reached out to her jacket’s inner pockets and flipped open her mobile phone once she got it out of her jacket. She pressed the right contacts button and scrolled down to his and stopped. Her mind was hesitating whether it’s the right time to call him once again. She was having second thoughts whether or not she’ll push through with the plan and take a chance to fall in love with him once again.

In the deep recesses of her mind, she remembered Hebe and her words. Her words that struck her a few days before that if she gets back with Chun, she might once again—get hurt and be inflicted pain, and suffering.

But she fought all those thoughts out from her system and pressed the green button and called him up. He picked up after the third ring or so and answered with the first name that came unto his mind, “Ella.”

She was too surprised to reply back. How could he know that it was her when in fact he didn’t know her number? “I know you’re there,” He spoke once again. “And you’re wondering why I know it’s you, right?” He didn’t get a response. He only heard the huffing and puffing of air and the inhale and exhaling of the person on the other line.

“Chun,” She smiled just by the thought of saying his name once again. “How did you know that it was me?”

“I just do,” He paused. “It was just a hunch. I was staring off to space a while ago, constantly looking at my phone in hope that you would call.”

“And how could you assume that I know you’re number?” She giggled and crunched up her nose and sneezed, because it was cold.

“Where are you?” He instantly got worried and ignored her question.

“I’ll meet you at your place,” With that, she hung up.

!@#$%^&*

On the other hand, Hebe was ready to be closing down the shop in a few minutes or so when she heard continuous triggering of guns and shootings. She panicked and she didn’t know what to do. She looked around and hid at the nearest cabinet she could possibly hide herself in. She hated guns; she hated wars, and once more hated just everything about fights and crimes and murder, some more, because that’s how her parents died.

She was close to crying, she pressed her hands unto either side of her ears, trying to reduce the sound of the guns that were shooting just nearby. She knew it was nearby, for she wasn’t deaf. She knew exactly where it came from and she need not know how, for she wasn’t interested in a way.

In a few minutes or so, she heard the breaking of glasses from the basement of her shop. Someone just broke through; she concluded and got even more nervous. “Ella’s not here,” She thought. “What would I do?” She panicked even more, compressing herself in the little place she was in.

The door to the second floor flung open and her eyes widened in fear. She hoped that the suspect wouldn’t see her. Its pitch black and it would be hard to see through, but the lights opened and there, revealed, was the man who she kept thinking of for the past few days; the man who she loathed just because of the stupid taxi ride and the only man who had the honors of calling her stupid for the first time. He was panting heavily; she could easily identify his difficulty of breathing. His own blood soaked him as he clutched the part where his heart is located.

She would most definitely not forget that face.

She gulped, tried to make sounds and he looked at her and she was frightened.

And what scared her even more is that in his hands, he possessed a gun.

All the more means to hate this guy, sitting across her.