Chapter 10

Later

The heavy feeling of seeing Ella with another man and kissing sent him down on his knees, feeling so dejected and at the same time, rejected. He just drowned himself with a bunch of liquor, good enough to make himself drunk. There were about 12, 400 thoughts running through his mind, not knowing which to think of first. He thought that Charlene needed him at the moment and so, he went home early than expected just to check up on her.

!@#$%^&*

He drunkenly walked himself back to their residence, early in the morning, still feeling drowsy about the amount of liquor he just took in. He pushed the front door with full force, not bothering to knock and check if by any chance she was there to open the door. To his surprise, the front door was left unlocked sending him a tinge of anger just because she was so reckless to just leave the front door open. Well, to him, they never know if robbers would come by.

He tapped his head aggressively, trying to resist the pain as he paced up the steps to their room with the wall supporting him as he walked up every step. He swung the door open and what he saw didn’t really make him happy or otherwise, didn’t really lift his hopes up of starting anew with her, Charlene. Instead, he felt his heart wretch in pain even more just by seeing her, Charlene, lying on the marble tiled floor, completely senseless and looking like a corpse that was completely pale and has been dead for a few days now.

He was so worried that he forgot everything he just experienced for the few days he took off from this house and shook off the drowsiness he felt. He hurriedly carried her in their bed and checked her pulse.

!@#$%^&*

“Selina, I’m home!” Anthony exclaimed as he stepped in his friend’s, Selina’s house.

“Good to see you…” She muttered out and bowed her head as she wheeled her wheelchair to the living room, “again.”

“What’s with the sudden reaction of females these days? They suddenly just have their mood swings.” Anthony teased, not thinking of the consequences of what he just said.

“Don’t act like you’re all cool about what just happened a few days back.” Selina gulped. “You come here when you just need me, right?”

“Of course not!” Anthony exclaimed and knelt down in front of Selina, taking in her hands in his.

“You rejected me a few days back because of her.” Selina pointed to one of the picture frames that were placed just on top of the altar. “Now, tell me…” She looked away from him and spun her wheelchair, with her back facing him. “You want her back, right? You want her back even more than just a friend.”

“Don’t say that.” Anthony tried to shun Selina away from her nonsense thoughts.

“I’m going back to my room.” She began wheeling her chair back to the room just a few centimeters, when Anthony spoke…

“I know I rejected you, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.”

“Don’t bother me.” She coldly retaliated and slammed her bedroom door shut.

!@#$%^&*

“Charlene, Charlene, please wake up.” Chun furiously slapped her cheeks, trying to bring her back to life once he felt that her pulse were nowhere to be found. She wasn’t breathing anymore and he knew it.

“I’ll call the ambulance.” Chun grabbed the landline from on top of the bedside cabinet and registered the number quickly, while his other hand gently caressed Charlene’s face as he cried a soft cry.

“Please, please, answer…” He gritted his teeth, impatiently waiting for his call to be answered. “Char, just a few minutes more, please…” He whispered, trying to bring back his composure and his calm reactions to lighten the weight of the situation.

“Wei, Show Chwan Hospital here.” The representative that answered the line calmly answered.

“This is Chun Wu.” Chun’s voice was cracking. “I’d like you to send an ambulance back at my place. You know my address, right? My—my wife… Charlene, her life’s at stake.”

“Right, sir.” The receiver seriously answered and began hand gesturing to her team members about the situation. “We will immediately take action!” She exclaimed and hung up the phone right away.

!@#$%^&*

“Elle, wake up!” Hebe exclaimed and tapped her friend gently. “The rays of the sun are brightly shining on your room now.” She muttered out in a sing song voice, trying to make the intensity of the room even livelier.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m up!” Ella grumpily rose up from the bed and stretched out her hands.

Accidentally, when she did, she hit a glass of water from her bedside cabinet and completely shattered it to pieces.

“Oh my God!” Hebe and Ella both said in chorus, shocked by the sudden happening and at the same time, it brought them back to reality.

“What’s with you today?” Hebe angrily asked her, seeing that one of their glass cups got shattered once again just like how Jiro does it every single month of the year. Quickly, she exited the room and got the necessary materials to clean up the mess.

“Nothing’s wrong with me.” Ella replied sleepily and yawned.

Unaware and still feeling a bit sleepy, she jumped off from bed and slipped on the spilt milk mixed with the pieces of glass on the floor.

“You’re so clumsy!” Hebe exclaimed and ran towards Ella who accidentally slipped on the floor.

“Ow.” Ella whined in pain, while Hebe slowly rose her up from her fallen figure. “It sure hurts, ugh.” She tried to resist the pain and immediately went to the bathroom to wash up.

“Ella…” Hebe knocked on the bathroom door, even before she could clean up the mess just to check on how Ella’s feeling right at the moment or if any internal injuries were done to her flawless skin.

“I’m completely fine.” Ella lied, still whining in the tremendous pain she was feeling right at the very moment.

“I’ll bring you to the hospital once I’m done right here, okay?”

“Mmm.” She replied, almost inaudible as Hebe started to clean up the mess Ella just caused.

!@#$%^&*

Chun gulped as he heard the sound of the ambulance approaching their residence. He got back up to his senses and swiftly stood up from his seat to carry Charlene in his arms to go downstairs immediately.

By the time that he went down, the team was already by his front door, ready to take Charlene from his hands, but he ignored them and just proceeded to the stretcher to make assurance in himself that he landed her safely.

He felt guilty for everything that was happening to her now, for he knew that he’s always the reason behind her heart attacks. She was two days dead and I am sure as hell that he didn’t know it. His eyes were currently swollen and his face was full of dried up tears, but he didn’t care to wash them off away. All he cares for now is Charlene’s current condition.

Once they reached the hospital, he hastily searched for his hand phone from his pocket and stubbed Charlene and his’ parent’s number on the phone to alert them of what just currently happened to Charlene. Although, he didn’t tell them that he left her for a few days, because he was afraid that it would cause even more chaos than the heated up situation as of now.

!@#$%^&*

They, Ella and Hebe, arrived at the hospital with Hebe assuming that Ella took in great damage on her flawless legs.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Ella felt something different, she felt like something was wrong. As they entered the sliding glass of the hospital, they heard the siren of an approaching ambulance that got the rest of her curiosity. Curious as to whom the patient is, she looked back and she swore that she just saw Chun, looking all numb and senseless as to where he is now.

“Come on, Elle. Don’t bother.” Hebe reasoned out with Ella, trying to get her best friend’s attention.“If we don’t tend to the scrapes on your legs, your parent’s might visit me in my dreams.”

“Mmmm.” Ella silently nodded and helped herself out by being dragged by Hebe in the little clinic in the lobby of the hospital.

!@#$%^&*

Behind everything, they probably didn’t know that they’ve just crossed each other’s path. Is fate just really playing with them? We don’t know. Are they really meant to cross each other’s path? That’s another question to ask. And wait! Will there be another hindrance with regard to their soon to be reunited relationship? That is, if ever they’ll make up again.

!@#$%^&*

Sooner than later, upon Charlene entering the emergency room, Chun sat quietly still outside the room, waiting patiently for the good or bad news. He waited patiently; he even tried to prepare himself mentally for whatever the doctor had to announce an hour or so after the operation.

His parent’s and Charlene’s have arrived just a few minutes after he made them a call. They surrounded Chun who looked like he just lost everything, enough to deceive them that he really cared for their daughter and loved her with all of him, even though we all know that he was the reason behind whatever is happening to her.

“I’m so sorry, son.” Charlene’s dad reiterated. “We never thought this would happen. We even thought that you were too busy to be even bothered that’s why she’s been rejecting our calls lately.”

Chun sat their, completely glued to his chair, not even bothering to reply to his father-in-law.

“It’s my entire fault.” He confessed, his face nearly soaked all over by his own tears.

“Don’t blame yourself, Chun.” They, Chun and Charlene’s mother tried to console Chun. They were trying to tell him how great his help was all throughout everything he’s done for Charlene.

“In fact, I’m very thankful of you for even accepting my daughter despite her situation.” Charlene’s mother whined, tears trickling down the sides of her cheeks. “For now, let’s just hope that everything would turn out fine.”

“I’m not worthy to be thanked for.” Chun talked to himself, crying his self out and reflecting on his wrong doings that he’s done recently. Indeed, it was true to the fact that he didn’t do anything to retain her or even make her life longer by just obeying whatever she says. “If ever you know, I never really know why I’m still alive, despite of not being worthy of living.”

!@#$%^&*

So, yes, I just added Selina and you probably heard it right that Selina confessed her true feelings to Anthony just a week ago. Just like Chun, Anthony took his time to meditate and take in whatever Selina had just to confess to him. He needed to process and think of the right thing to make next. To complicate the situation even more, do you really think Anthony just treats Ella like his sister? Or perhaps, it’s Selina who he really loves? One more… Would Hebe ever have a love relationship?