Later

Later

In the following days that the procedure of Ella’s operation was being processed, Hebe and Calvin stuck together. They’d been keeping a lookout on Chun 24/7 who was thinking hardly what excuse he’d give Ella once she’s discharged. ‘How would I break to her that our first child’s lost?’ was one of the questions he failed to process. He knew he couldn’t turn back time, he knew it was hard, especially that it was their first child, but he knew…he just knew…that he couldn’t do anything anymore.

The doctor also mentioned before to him that one of the reasons the child didn’t make it may be because of the first few weeks of maternal trauma or simply just that there’s something wrong with the baby’s chromosomes. At first, he didn’t know much of what the doctor was talking about, but when explained by Calvin, who knew of some medical terms concerning pregnancy and the doctor himself, he kind of got the idea about the maternal trauma part. He recalled that at first, Ella was quite unprepared and scared for a child, and then it hit him.

“We’ve transferred Ms. Chen in her own ward,” the doctor informed. “If you’re ready to see her, just proceed to room 149,” and then he walked of, feeling pity for Chun, but then he knew he couldn’t do anything himself. He was just a doctor, anyway, and actually, if there’s something wrong with the baby’s chromosomes and it dies, it isn’t anyone’s fault. It’s nature that does it just so the baby doesn’t suffer anymore.

“What do we do now?” Hebe enquired, who was fidgeting behind Calvin.

“Go to Ella’s ward,” Calvin said. “What else could we do, anyway, but take care of my sister.”

“But Chun…,” Hebe whispered. “He…”
“I can do it,” Chun said, after gulping a big lump on his throat for a couple of times. “I know it’ll be hard, I know, I know she wouldn’t take it seriously at first, but we have to deal with the facts straight out.”

“Knowing Ella, she really wouldn’t like it,” and then the two males looked at her, and she shut closed. “I know I’m not making matters better, but really, what if we let Ella rest by herself before revealing everything?”

“She knows it already, okay?” Chun assured Hebe about Ella knowing the whole situation, half angry, and half forcing himself not to get mad at this moment of time, for he knew that it won’t do anything better. “I think the doctor’s told her… or not”

“But what if she doesn’t and you just tell her and she gets shocked?” she enquired, scared of the outcome when nothing has yet to happen yet.

“We’ll only know ‘till we arrive there, Hebs,” Calvin cut in, and then they began walking to Ella’s ward.

Walking toward Ella’s ward, Chun felt pain at the very pit of his stomach. It felt like he wants to throw up or something, strangle anyone who he sees first just so he calms himself. The minute he took hold of the doorknob, he remembered what one of the things the doctor said to him upon talking about the aftermath and effect about what might be Ella’s reaction if she finds out. He took note that she might not take it seriously at first and may suffer from depression right after.

“Cal, I actually have second thoughts about this,” Chun surrendered, feeling his nervousness all his confidence. “What if you guys go and see her first?”

And then, without further ado, Hebe alongside Calvin twisted the doorknob and entered Ella’s ward in success. They found her sitting on the hospital bed, feeling up her stomach with an irritated expression plastered on her face.

“Where is he?” she enquired, looking straight at the two figures that just entered her ward, noticing that someone was missing.

“Where is who?” Hebe asked, pretending that she didn’t get the question.

“Where is Chun?,” Ella immediately looked to her left and for the first time in her life, sent death glares to her best friend, Hebe, as if she hated her the most in this world. Hebe didn’t feel too good about it, yes. Thus, she stepped a few steps back and suppressed a smile for Ella to see, but Ella wouldn’t care much. She knew that something is wrong; she knew that something isn’t right, and yet… they aren’t willing to tell her what that something is.

“Elle, you need to calm down,” Calvin tried to calm her sister in her most devastated state.

“What happened then?” she enquired, tears at the corner of her eyes about to spill. “Why am I here. Where is he? It’s barely the 9th month, yet I couldn’t feel my baby anymore inside of me after feeling up my stomach for a couple of minutes that has passed,” she said, massaging her empty-looking belly. She gulped a couple of times, hardly, slowly, taking in all the pain in one go. She had an idea now whatever was happening, yet she refuses to accept it.

There was no response. Silence engulfed the scene as the three of them engaged in a staring game. Calvin looked at Hebe; Hebe looked at Calvin, trying to read each others faces on what to do next. Ella cried.

“What to do?” Hebe quietly whispered. Immediately though, unable to control the emotions, she began to cry, and immediately took the initiative to run to her best friend and cry. Calvin, on the side, was taken aback by Hebe’s actions and was forced to just remain calm in his position, watching the two. If things break free, it’s up to him to do whatever there is next.

“Elle, I seriously don’t know how to explain this to you,” Hebe started. “Could I just say that all I could remember was Chun calling us because he rushed you to the hospital?”

“But why?” Ella enquired in pure confusion.

“Because you were in an emergency, he only told us to come by at the hospital immediately and Calvin and I did. Maybe it was all predestined that I was with Calvin at that time and the time we arrived at the hospital is also the time I knew he was your brother. There are things between me and Calvin that I haven’t told you before, and I’m sorry for that. Now, going back to your situation… Again, I’d like to apologize that I don’t know how to start this, I don’t know if I’m in the right, but Elle… why didn’t you tell me that you were pregnant?”

“That was because I wasn’t ready to face it,” she recalled and answered lifelessly.

“Do you really want to see him?” Hebe enquired.

“See who?” Ella asked back. “Not that I’m in a blur, I don’t know. But I really do want to clear everything up immediately…” she whispered, “so maybe.”

“I’m letting him in,” Calvin got the signal and exited the room.

“Elle, I’m going,” Hebe said and exited the room right after Calvin did.

When all of them were gone, again, Ella started crying her heart out. It all of a sudden hit her that the last thing she ever saw just before this incident now that she’s in was Chun running forth to her and then her mind went blank. Again, she placed her hands on her stomach, but she just couldn’t feel anything. She cried louder, and then had to wipe them all of yet again just because he’s entered.

“Ella,” was the first name that escaped his mouth.

“Chun,” she looked up at him, not wanting to hide anymore the pain she was feeling, showing him her face full of tears. He was someone…someone special to her after all, so she thought that it wasn’t necessary anymore. And their feelings were mutual, intimate, they love each other, she knew that very well.

He walked toward her, sat down on the bed beside her and hugged her tightly.

“We’ve lost him,” he said and then later on added, “…her,” because they still didn’t know their baby’s . “We’ve lost our baby,” he tearfully revealed and Ella had to cry out again, louder than the last.

“You didn’t have to tell me so directly,” she wanted to yell, but then didn’t. “What happened, Chun? What went wrong? Cal and Hebe wouldn’t want to tell me, telling me that they didn’t have the right to tell me.” She sniffed, trying to break free from his hug, wanting to hit him hard on the chest, because of her loss. But she realized sooner that it wasn’t her lost alone, but his as well, so she stopped breaking free when he held her tighter.

Silence.

“I’m so sorry,” was all Chun could say as he broke the silence and withdrew himself from the hug. Slowly then, he wiped the tears in her eyes, and kissed her forehead. She could only close her eyes upon the gesture, and then finally encircled her hands around his waist. Finally giving up in the game she’s playing alone with herself – a game that aims in trying to make herself believe that she still can do something about their baby’s death.

“As much as I want to make myself believe that nothing happened, I know can’t change anything,” she started. “I don’t know why you have to apologize to me as if making yourself look like you’re the baddie here. It’s no one’s fault, Chun, no one,” and then again, she started to tear up.

“It’s no one’s fault, indeed,” he nodded.

Silence.

“Later will I love and accept. Let’s forget the past and continue on together, hand-in-hand.” Breaking the silence out of pure curiosity and with tears in her eyes, Ella spoke to Chun.

“I love you Ella and I would never leave you, even if later comes,” was his only reply.

And then he pressed his lips softly on hers with her fully accepting it. In their minds, they vowed that no one would let the other go, even if later comes…

END.

--

Finishing the story, I even had to cry. Concerning Arron and Mike`s appearance, they`d appear in the Epilogue once again. Do wait for it. :)