Chapter 21

Later

“Can I not tell you the reason?” Arron asked Hebe and bit his lower lip in hope that she wouldn’t bother him again.

“But you promised,” Hebe whined. “I really want to know. You see, even if I barely know you, I need to know everything about the crime scene, because it really freaks me out; it makes the hair on my shoulders so go up. And once I’m bothered by something, I get the reason out of the hell of a person who I want to know the truth from.”

“Okay, okay.” Arron disrupted Hebe’s speech that she just said in one breath and found the marble-tiled floor amusing at the moment. “It’s somewhat confusing, but I hope you understand.”

“Okay,” Hebe nodded and waited patiently for what he was about to say.

“It’s simple as this…” Arron heaved out a sigh. “My best friend he was almost killed and I just wanted to take revenge.”

“That’s it?” Hebe’s jaw dropped, he couldn’t read this person’s mind. He was too complicated; like his eyes looked as thought they were full of lies and hatred, “How come people in this generation are acting so immature?”

“You don’t know anything,” Arron shot her his deathly glares as he lay down the bed again. “He’s currently under critical condition, about to die. Just like. Me.” He rolled his eyes and stared at the ceiling, before looking back at Hebe. “And yeah, about what you said… aren’t we in the same generation?” His voice was sarcastic and so was his voice that suddenly just turned from cold to sarcastic.

Hebe was really utterly shocked. She was questioning herself how come this man could still think of teasing her when in fact, he’s got a friend to spare so much time for and he seems to be having a lot of issues lately?

“Get off that topic,” She commanded and immediately changed the topic, “So, you’re Arron, right?”

“Yeah, and you are… Hebe?” He asked, half sure, half unsure, amusing himself still with the ceiling right up from his position.

“How’d you know?” Confusion was written all over her face. How could this man right in front of her just know her name in an instant when in fact, they haven’t really got to know each other?

“Your friend, Ella,” Arron replied.

“You know her?” Hebe’s eyebrows furrowed at him.

“Oops, slip of the tongue.” He cupped his mouth and laughed, like he wasn’t taking seriously whatever he is saying.

“No, really,” Hebe was damn serious, almost as if she was ready to kill someone. Why didn’t Ella tell her that he knew this man that just a few days back? She didn’t even save her. Hebe was thinking… “Is there something that I need to know that Ella hasn’t talked to me about?”

“Don’t get the right thing wrong, missy.” Arron disrupted her thoughts once again, “I don’t know your friend, Ella, but Anthony does.”

“That reminds me,” Hebe paused. “Do you know where she is? I remember dropping her off to the restaurant to meet Anthony.”

“Nope, nope, and nope,” Arron shook his head, “The last time I saw her was when she was with Baron.”

“Who’s Baron?” Hebe asked. And now, everything’s getting even more complicated. What has Ella been up to, anyway? She asked herself silently, her eyebrows almost fusing.

“Ooh, Baron…” Arron hooted. “You don’t know him? He was just the one who Anthony requested to find Ella and that’s the way of how I knew you, too.”

“Wha-what?” Hebe asked in utter shock. “I don’t get anything.”

“I’ll take the risk of explaining things to you, then.” Arron smiled a cheeky smile, focusing his eyes on her as he sat up straight on the bed yet again.

“Thanks,” Hebe thanked him in advance as he started to explain…

“You see, Anthony’s Ella’s childhood friend that’s why he wanted to meet her again.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” She was getting utterly impatient, rolling her eyes at him. “That reminds me…can you explain later?” Hebe asked and paused, thinking of something important that the doctor needed her to do, “The blood transfusion!” She exclaimed. “I need to find donors as soon as possible. Do you still have blood?” She shook Arron aggressively and got down to her feet and went running to the door to quickly hunt down blood donors.

“Weird,” Was all Arron could manage to tell. And a cheeky smile appeared on his face yet again, because it’s undeniable that he finds this girl interesting—Hebe.

!@#$%^&*

On the other hand, Ella hurriedly bought a pack of prepaid card from the nearest store where Hebe’s house is located. She’s decided that she’d push through with the plan of coming back to Guatemala if the person she’s referring to is currently home and if he isn’t, then she’d make up her mind and come back to Chun with no turning back, period. She’s even more determined now that he’s ready to face the obstacles with her, most especially his parents. She smiled at how sweet he was by saying that if it takes cutting his ties with his parents just so she could come back, he would. But she silently swells her heart in pain, because it was too much to take that he’s risking his everything just for her.

Right after buying the prepaid card from the saleslady, she sat quietly in the bleachers in Hebe’s backyard. She loaded her mobile phone with 500 TWD, just in case it’ll take longer time to contact this person she’s referring to. She punched an unknown number and waited until he picked up the phone.

“Hello,” She greeted immediately, once the person from the other line answered.

“Calvin here,” Calvin sleepily answered, rubbing his eyes. “Whoever you are, you’re seriously disturbing my sleep. But if you’re interested, please do come down at my place.”

“Calv,” Ella laughed.

“I know this voice,” Calvin laughed and tried to recall whoever the person on the other line is.

“Yes, you do.” Ella replied and smiled at the thought, because he still knew her even though it’s been ages since they last had a decent talk.

“If it’s one of the Chen’s…, I’m warning you now that you better hung up the phone.” His voice sounded as that of a pissed off person, trying to get rid of the person from the other line.

“Ella here, and yes, I’m one of the Chen’s, and so are you.” She retaliated and tried to joke around even if she knew that she was still feeling so heavy, because of the decision she’s decided to make and on the other hand, he’s cut ties with her.

“Why are you calling?” He really sounded irritated now. He didn’t like at all the idea of her calling him.

“I just want to know if you’re still in Guatemala and if you won’t mind—“

“I’m not in Guatemala, I’m going back to Taiwan.” He stated facts straight out, wanting to end the call by now.

“How come?” She asked with her voice full of curiosity.

“I just am; you don’t need to know. You’re wasting my time, you know?” He scratched the back of his head as he got out a toothbrush and the pack of Colgate from his bathroom cabinet.

“Can I see you?” She asked. “Please.”

“For what?” He asked, “I’m not going to reunite with the family.”

“I know and I’m not forcing you to.” Ella retaliated.

“So, now what?” Calvin asked again. “Why do I have to see you?”

“I just want to see someone who I haven’t seen for ages,” She heaved out a deep sigh and hung up the phone.

Ella didn’t yet notice it, but right behind her back is Hebe.

“And it turns out that I’d have to return back to him, I guess I’d have to come back and face my fears,” She whispered. “Good luck to me. Good luck, Ella. You definitely should break a leg this time.”

“I can break your leg for you,” Ella heard a girl’s voice that’s not that squeaky and not that deep. She did not look back to see who it was, she knew it was Hebe. “Haven’t seen you for ages, where were you within these past few weeks?” She sat beside her and pecked a kiss on her best friend’s cheek.

“Weeks?” Her voice softened again. “It’s just been days.”

“Don’t avoid the question, missy.” Hebe let out a soft chuckle. “Answer using two names: Chun or Anthony?” Ella glanced at Hebe for a while, and then stared down on her hands that she is currently playing with by rubbing its friction back and forth. “Stop it, it won’t fire up.” Hebe slapped Ella’s hands away and looked at him seriously. Noticing that she was staring off to space, she snapped a hand right in front of her face.

“What?” She looked utterly speechless. Hebe noticed that her eyes were full of fear, confusion, and doubt—melancholy.

“I said: ‘Don’t avoid the question, missy’ ‘Answer using two names: Chun or Anthony?’ ‘Stop it, it won’t fire up.’”

“I didn’t get anything, what’s the question?” Ella asked, looking so dumbfounded.

“I first asked where you have been these past few weeks,” Hebe asked yet again, impatiently.

Only one word and name escaped Ella’s lips, “Chun.”

!@#$%^&*

He bit his lower lip and he didn’t know why. He was still feeling very devastated, much drowned at the thought that she’s left him. He doesn’t know what the future holds, so he just had to wait.