Chapter 2

Later

Evening came and morning followed that Chun rushed to his office to right away work his off. A new employee of his was coming and he’s assuring that he or she would be someone worth working with. But even before someone could come, Charlene, his betrothed bride came stumbling upon his office and kissed him on his cheek. This girl here, beside him—what could he say about her? He doesn’t really love her; it is she who fell in the trap of the arranged marriage. At first, she never liked Chun too; until the day came that her mom arranged dates and meet-ups for them to become closer. Chun loves her, though not as someone who he’s willing to live with forever, but simply stating that he just loves her as a friend, though she still doesn’t seem to notice. Through all out those dinner dates and meet-ups, of course he got to know more about her, so as her knowing more about him and at the same time, she fell in love with Chun.

{Flashback}

“Chun!” Charlene exclaimed, running towards the seat across Chun. She greeted him with a kiss and then, right away sat across him and looked at him as if there was no tomorrow.

Chun noticed her sudden fall of excitement as she tried to avoid his gaze. “What’s the matter?” Chun asked her.

“It’s just that…” Charlene softly spoke. “Would you really want to continue on with the arranged marriage?” She suddenly turned serious and ended up questioning him about some serious matter too.

“Of course.” He softly replied, debating in his mind whether he should just forget about Ella or not and make Charlene the barrier between them.

“Then, I have something to tell you…” Charlene stated and looked directly at Chun’s eyes. For a while, she remained glued to her position and then had the guts to let her feelings all out. “I’m in love with—“ She paused and looked away. “You.”

Chun didn’t know how to react. All though he’s willing to push through with this wedding with Charlene, he still doesn’t know whether he would choose to follow his heart or not. Would he want to find Ella still? Or would he want to continue living in a life full of lies? He knows that he doesn’t love Charlene and still does love Ella, so right at that moment, he was very confused.

{End of Flashback}

By the end of their flashback, as I could recall… Chun didn’t respond and so did Charlene. Charlene just told him that whatever happens, she’ll be able to prove to him that she really truly do love him. Seeing Ella just last night too, made him even more confused as to what step he’ll take next. It just add up to the burden of whether to continue the wedding or not—again! Because, as Chun has decided a few days back, he willingly accepted and signed a contract that he’ll really continue on with the wedding.

Just a few more minutes of Chun’s thoughts, he was finally distracted by the opening of the door. His jaw dropped when he saw who poked her head at the door just to see who were inside it.

“I’m sorry, sir.” The lady who poked her head in the office apologized.

“Ella!” Chun exclaimed to himself, thinking whether or not she may be the new employee. Charlene just looked at his fallen expression and heaved out a sigh of defeat. As if assuming that Chun knows whoever that girl was. “Charlene, just stay here. I’ll just attend to some business I need to clear up.” And with that, Chun stood up from his seat and left Charlene behind in the office. Leaving her no choice, she just sat comfortably on his laptop and surfed the net.

!@#$%^&*

“Is it just me or is fate really just bringing us together?” Chun asked himself. “I’ve had too many signs to prove it all off already. I can’t afford to lose her once again.” He thought.

Once he saw her, he silently trailed behind her back afraid that she would freak out in horror and never would want to see him again. But, wait! I’m over exaggerating a bit right there. What a lame analogy, right?

“Stop it.” The lady spun herself around, meeting a pair of calm eyes and at the same time looking worried. “I’ve had enough.” She continued and pressed the down button beside the closed elevator.

“Let me explain!” He pleaded.

“Explain what?” She asked. “We’re over. And just to clear it to your face, we were so over the past year.”

“Let me ask why you are all of a sudden mad at me?” He asked her.

“Because I still love you and it hurts me to see some unknown lady inside your office!” She shakingly replied, her voice cracking. “It’s not that I’m being selfish or anything, but that’s just how I feel.” She paused and managed to let all the tears spill out from her eyes. “I’d be happy to see you happy, Chun.” She whispered and caressed his right cheek.

“Wait, wait.” Chun shook all the embarrassment and drama away, probably awkward with the situation. “Why are you here, anyway?”

“I’m supposed to be the new employee.” Ella replied and furrowed her eyebrows at him as she wiped her tears away. “But, I guess I could apply for another one tomorrow or later in the afternoon.”

“No!” Chun protested.

“You know why I hate you?” Ella asked, abruptly changing the topic. “Because you always ignore me when I cry, it’s as if you don’t see it. It isn’t visible to your vision. It’s not—“ Ella paused, upon seeing the elevator door open. “Bye.” She stepped inside the opened elevator and immediately managed for it to close as she waved bye at Chun.